1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Got any Recommendations? Post em' here!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dragon, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Dragon

Eevee (J)
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽45.7
    if you have a certain video game in mind that you want to just recommend to people, to share all of your thoughts, and experiences with the game, as well as *why* people might be interested in it, please do so here!

If you also would like to ask for any recommendations for any games, for any system, you can also ask in here as well!

Now, this thread isn't about finding out what your favorite game is or whatever, I'm sure not a whole lot is interested in that, I want to use this thread as a reference for the great games that I want to see recommended so someone would feel they should try it out, hence why I want some explanations.

This thread will basically be a compilation of all the great games that you'd absolutely recommend. It's also very entertaining to read people's recommendations when they go out of their way to try and explain why it's worth playing. It's contradictory to the first sentence of this paragraph perhaps, but I find that proper explanations make all the difference. The real point of the thread isn't about what the best games on a specific system are, since that's subjective, but it's about why you think they are.

You don't have to mention just one game for a specific system, it could be 2, or 10, or all of them, so long as you feel it deserves a mention!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dragon

Eevee (J)
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽45.7
    Just for you guys to see what I'm talking about, I'll re-post my recommendation for a fire emblem game that've typed up in the past:

Alright now, this is a Fire Emblem game for the SNES, one which was one of my personal favourites for many, many reasons, which is ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776 - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776:

[​IMG]

Now, first and foremost, yes, this game is also only released in Japan, however, it is possible to grab an English patch of the game, so, if you have time, I'd recommend that you try it out on your SNES emulators! Now, on to the actual game. If you've played Awakening, Sacred Stones, Radiant Dawn, Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem 7, etc, etc, you'll find that those games are ridiculously easy compared to Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. In other words, this game is really hard. In fact, I'd say it's the hardest Fire Emblem game in the series, even harder than Fire Emblem Sword of Seals.

What makes this game so hard compared to the others? Well, the enemy units are exceptionally stronger than the other enemy units from the other Fire Emblem games stat wise, in fact, you'll feel like you're playing Lunatic Mode from Awakening. On top of that, Enemy reinforcements are also very common throughout the levels, as in, you won't get to react to them since they spawn during the enemy phase, and well, catch you off guard, so you'll find yourself near death normally, even when you're playing as safe as possible. Not only that, Staff magic can actually miss in this game, which makes healing also a problem. With all that being said and more, I have to warn you, I do not recommend this game for beginners. So, if you are just looking into the Fire Emblem series, I recommend you play games like Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem 7, or Fire Emblem Awakening because they are way more beginner friendly, and will familiarize yourself into the Fire Emblem mechanics.

Now, despite the extreme difficulty of this game, why play it? Despite the difficulty, this game in the Fire Emblem series is a definite solid game. For one thing, the storyline is pretty outstanding. The story in Thracia 776 branches off from Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War), in which the main Lord is named Leif, which is also a character from Genealogy of the Holy War. In fact, a lot of characters from the Genealogy of the Holy War such as Finn, Delmud, and Nanna are in this game too. Basically, you're trying to revive the the Kingdom of Leonster after it was invaded and attacked that resulted in the death of Leif's father. The storyline branches off in themes of betrayal, togetherness, and extreme depths of the heart. I believe it's a truly outstanding storyline with a lot of character development that is pretty much par within the more talked about Fire Emblem games, like Fire Emblem Awakening.

[​IMG]
    The mechanics in Tharcia 776 is also really fun to help you enjoy the game play despite the difficulty. It pretty much uses the same mechanics as Genealogy of the Holy War, for example, this game has fairly larger maps compared to most of the other Fire Emblem games. Again, referring back to Awakening, you'll find that you'll be able to each both ends of the map within a small amount of turns, give or take, in which the game pretty much consists of small maps in deserts, castles, outfields, and so on. However in this game, you'll find that the fields near the castles are really large, which opens more opportunities to use more units for more interesting strategies! If you also notice when playing, the layout in each map kind of matches up with the world map, which adds to it's aesthetics!
    The music is also quite amazing, which leaves an unforgettable experience upon playing each map, and entering each battle phase. For example, the main ost on attacking is called Start The Justice Attack, and the main defense theme is called Start the Justice Defense. IN JUSTICE WE TRUST It sort of adds that war-like feel to it, whenever you attack or fending off those ridiculously strong enemies! of course, there are also music within the game that adds to peaceful and sad moments too, and if you're like me, you'll appreciate each sentimental piece of music that adds to the feel of each key moment within each video game played. This one is no different.

[​IMG]

The battle mechanics are also pretty similar to Genealogy of the Holy War, and like the rest of the Fire Emblem games, follow the same pattern of the weapon triangle, (swords > axes, lances > swords, axes > lances) and I believe it was the first game that introduced the 'rescue' mechanic where you can rescue your units by 'pairing' with them and transport them else where. It also introduced Fog of War, where if you've played a Fire Emblem game for the GBA, like Sacred Stones, you'll know that Fog of War limits your vision on certain maps like maps with fog, or maps during the night time.

It produced another mechanic called the capture mechanic, which allows your units to actually capture enemy units! The downside is that it leaves your units with half of their normal HP, but when you capture the enemy, you can essentially steal their items. Another downside is that the enemy can capture your units too. If they do, they can also steal your items, and the only way to get them back is to of course kill the enemy unit. Another mechanic that I actually really, really dislike is called Fatigue, in which if your character does things like attack a enemy unit, they'll slowly become tired. If the character's fatigue builds up so much that it become more than their base HP, then you can't choose them in the next chapter, which adds to the strategy, but, I admit, it's sort of an annoying mechanic.

[​IMG]

But in conclusion, if you're liking the Fire Emblem series and would like to try your hand on a challenge, then try Fire Emblem: Thracia 776! Sure, because of the hard difficulty of this game, it requires you to be patient, and for you to think on your feet whenever something unexpected comes up on each map, but, after your done a really chapter, you'll feel great satisfaction on completing it, and you'll be prompted to find out what to do next in the next one! So, again in my own personal opinion, this is one of my favourite games for the SNES, and I urge you to try it out when given the chance!

Aurelia likes this.
  3. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    You guys NEED to play Rune Factory 4. It is such a good game, and probably not too expensive anymore. If you like Fire Emblem, I have no doubt you will like Rune Factory 4 as well. I could never recommend a game as strongly as Rune Factory 4, so please buy it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    I don't have much to say on the following, but I implore everyone to check out Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal! It's basically Smash Bros for (mostly) Sony characters, that's kind of fun to play. You'd be mad not to try it if you have a PS3 and/or Vita; it was even free on PS+ a few months back!

5. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Are any of you able to recommend Mario Party 10 to me? It seems really good...but I'm not sure if it's worth purchasing. Let me know, please!

6. Martsian

Martsian Gym leader

PokéPoints:
    ₽72.8
    I am definetely suggesting kingdom hearts 2! It's one of the best games i ever played and i hardly recommend it! You should try it!

7. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    Play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate OR ILL FUCKIN KILL YOU!!!

8. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    Well, I'm just going to throw Ni No Kuni here~
    Blandly said, it's a children's JRPG, with an amazing set of characters. It's made by Level 5 and Studio Ghibli. Yes, I said Studio Ghibli. The animations are Ghibli-fied, and so is the game's plot. Who doesn't like Ghibli?
    It's similar to Pokémon in most ways possible, with a Tales of styled battling system. The Pokémon part is the familiars, which you can catch, train and evolve. The Tales is the closed styled battlefield, with a bit of turn based elements here and there. Also, it hit the best hits list, so it's pretty cheap~
    That's enough explanation, so go buy it while you can~!

Reckless likes this.
  9. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    Hello everyone. I have two seriously underrated games that more people need to play. As I spend my time on the PS! Main server, I get a few comments from people about how they're fans of these games, but honestly they're hard to come across, so this leads me to believe tht the fanbase is generally pretty small. But anyway, without further ado, let me begin:

[​IMG]

This beautiful game is called Okami. It has been released for the PS2 as well as for the Wii, but an HD remake also exists for the PS3.

Without spoiling the core of the game, you start off as a sun goddess in wolf form (as pictured above) named Amaterasu, who is reawakened from her slumber. Terrible things are happening in the land of Nippon (this game takes place in Japan, so there's a lot of Japanese culture referenced here), and it's up to you to set things right again. Not only this, your additional task is to restore people's faith in the gods, because it has been lost while you've been away. You do all of this with a partner named Issun, who is about roughly an inch tall and accompanies you throughout your journey.

This game is full of comedic humour, emotional situations, and urgent happenings, and everything in-between. Even the combat, while repetitive for the most part (you're an overpowered sun goddess, this is not surprising), is enjoyable, and the bosses even more so. It has gotten to the point where I'm on my third playthrough of the game, so I'm not exaggerating when I say this game is pretty great! The amazing graphics, the addicting gameplay, an interesting plot, what more could you ask for?

[​IMG]
    I promise you, this screenshot doesn't spoil a lot, so bear with me!

This adorable and chibiness of this game is Okami's sequel, named Okamiden (for the DS). The cute puppy that you see there is Chibiterasu, who is Amaterasu's son. As Chibiterasu, the same events from the previous game as risen yet again: dark forces (demons) threaten the land of Nippon once more, and it is up to you to put a stop to them. You partner up with a lot of peeps (two of them shown above), as you progress throughout the game and eliminate the forces of darkness once and for all.

I haven't personally gotten too far into Okamiden, but it's pretty much what I expected, but better. Battle system is similar, but smaller area (not too surprising). Music reflects that of Okami to a great degree, and you see a lot of the characters make a return. By no means is it obligatory to play Okami before playing Okamiden (because you get a recap of the events that occur in Okami), but you might get lost in a lot of the game's references that it might throw at you as a result, so it does help to play Okami beforehand!

edit: This game is also more challenging than Okami as far as difficulty goes. You are given two difficulty options before you start the game, so if you haven't experienced Okami before, you'd probably be better off on the easier mode, but on the more difficult mode, bosses are infuriating and constantly healing while attacking you and you will rely on items more often to save your butt. This makes the battles all the more exhilarating and fun, though!

That's pretty much all. ^__^

Deltheor likes this.
  10. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    I'm going to say... get Bravely Default. If you are a fan of Final Fantasy at all, Bravely Default is totally for you. It is made by the creators of Final Fantasy (Squenix) and it is a very beautiful game. The soundtrack is awesome and so is the new battle system that features "Brave" and "Default." Seriously look into this game because this game is totes worth it.

11. broongus

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,635.0
    Play Viewtiful Joe or you're not a man.

12. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I can recommend Tales of the Abyss, Final Fantasy XIV, Fallout 3 and probably a ton more later.

Be aware that Final Fantasy XIV is an online MMO that requires a subscription in order to play. You can however download and play a free 14 days trial from their site before deciding whenever or not you wanna shell out money for it.

13. Eru Iluvatar

Eru Iluvatar Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    I recommend Undertale. It's an amazing game with a hilarious sense of humor, a cunning concept and unforgettable gameplay coupled with characters you really connect with. At least, I did. SO I recommend it to anyone who has any free time. It's a very short game too so that's a big plus, right?

I also recommend the Touhou series but that's only because I want to give people the gift of hell suffering fun. c:

14. Sylar

Sylar Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    people that love epic jrpgs​
    i recommend bravely default​
    one of the best rpg games for NDS ​
    seriously great graphics and nice battle system​
    its addictive​

15. ClamEatsCurry

ClamEatsCurry Resident Clam

PokéPoints:
    ₽172.7
    One game I'd really like to recommend people trying is Rocket League. It's basically soccer/futbol with cars as a tl;dr but it's a lot of fun because of how much the cars change up the game experience, here's a quick video to check out if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy1moKa5d6M

16. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I can recommend Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights for the 3DS! It's gotten some pretty bad ratings, but I don't think it deserves that. Think of a crossover between Pokémon and Professor Layton, set in 19th-century Paris. Honestly, its story is really unique and engaging. It's too bad the game is kinda short though, and the leveling system for the artifacts you have to collect and battle with are a bit strange, but nevertheless, I really recommend it!

17. James95

James95 Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I personally recommend four game franchises.
    1) Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. Got it for the Vita and love it to bits.
    2) Dangan Ronpa. This visual novel is a great addition for all of you Pheonix Wright and Battle Royale lovers. The premise of all but one game is that a group of students who are said to be the ultimate in their talents are held captive by Monokuma; a being of pure despair. To escape, one must kill another. When a body is discovered, the students must conduct a class trial to find out who the culprit is. If they get it right, the culprit is ironically executed. If they get it wrong, the culprit lives and the others die. It's pretty great. My favourites from the first game are Chihiro Fujisaki and Celestia Ludenburg whilst my picks from The second game are Mikan Tsumiki (my all time favourite), Gundham Tanaka and Ibuki Mioda.
    3) Fire Emblem. Specifically Awakening and Fates
    4) Dead or Alive.

18. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Anyone here ever play tachyon the fringe? It's a future space flight emulator and it is awesome! You end up with a choice between the bora and galspan. I can't say too much without giving it away but hey I think it's $10 on steam

19. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    If there is one game that I can't recommend enough, it is Xenoblade Chronicles (the original one). The story and characters are enthralling, while carrying an amazing theme throughout the whole game. There is a huge beautiful world to explore, and a ton of sidequests and additional things to do. The battle system is a lot of fun, and keeps the game interesting by throwing new enemies at you fairly often. I honestly cannot recommend this game enough, forealsies. The ending of the game is easily worth the large amount of hours required to get to it. To put it straight and simple:

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best game ever. Buy it, or you will have ragrats. (Not a threat, just a serious recommendation)

20. Heavenly

Heavenly Just Smile!

PokéPoints:
    ₽83.2
    For anyone who hasn't played it, I definitely recommend the Phoenix Wright series. This is one of the best series I have played and its one of only three that I patiently watch news for and keep track of release dates on the games. It is a fun game if you can look past some of the gameplay options in turn for the humor, wit, and creativity this game takes overall. It has a good story (although weird in some places) and has always been enjoyable for me. The new game is coming out soon, so if you can, I suggest you play the first game or any you can get a hold of and take some time to try it.

Nate likes this.