1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Hollow Knight!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Fable_PH, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Fable_PH

Fable_PH Pixels and Paints

Sketch
    (Flygon)
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽307.1
    Ok, so I've just beaten two of Hollow Knight's three endings, and I am in love with this game and everything about it. So, I'm here to gush. Who wants to join me?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I heard two people at school talking about it and searched it. Great thanks to them!
    I’ll take it on the Switch when it’s out! I am sooo hyped, this game seems awesome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fable_PH

Fable_PH Pixels and Paints

Sketch
    (Flygon)
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽307.1
    It is probably one of the best metroidvania style games you can get. The world is huge and gorgeous, the lore is interesting and presented amazingly, and it offers a great challenge level. A warning going in though, it did earn the "Dark Souls of Metroidvanias" title.

4. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I finally got it btw. It is awesome! I'm not even out of Forgotten Crossroads yet, just grinding to buy things and avoiding bosses, and I already love it lmao

5. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I haven't quite 100%ed this game yet, but I've been meaning to for a while! Plus, I'll have a lot more to do once we get the Gods & Glory DLC.

6. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    I haven't beaten the game yet but it's great. When I heard people describe it as the dark souls of metroidvanias, I didn't know what they meant at first, but it's not an easy game for sure, and it literally does the thing Dark Souls does when you die, so I can see why. Regardless, it's been thoroughly enjoyable to me so far, and since it seems like there are multiple endings and acheivements based on finishing the games, might not be dropping it anytime soon.

7. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I played through this earlier this year! I think it's one of the better Metroidvania-style titles I've played in recent years...although I feel like it could have been a little better designed in some places.

Specifically, the White Palace. That utterly threw me because it felt so out of place in the game, which up to that point had focused more on exploration and combat over precision platforming...going into it was quite the experience when I'd done barely any platforming beyond a few tight jumps up to that point. It needed accurate jumping, timing, bouncing off sawblades and spikes using the nail...sheesh. It wasn't unfair as it could have been - Hiveblood makes it an exercise in patience as you essentially have infinite attempts - but it WAS very jarring and it took me nearly 3 hours to get through it.

Asides from that...well, I didn't find it especially difficult, outside of those two bosses that deal more than one mask of damage per hit, and those mostly because I panicked and tried to kill them before they killed me...generally that's not a strategy that works too well unless you can also dodge, and I get flustered easily when the stakes are higher. I mean, I still managed to do it, but those were the only bosses that killed me more than once...the final boss killed me more times than I cared to count >.>

I absolutely loved the boss battle music, too. The level themes were very bland and tiresome - I don't like "ambient" music in games; it doesn't generate any atmosphere other than a complete lack of one - but the boss battles really ramped it up a notch or two. The Mantis Lords battle was wonderfully atmospheric and it was so satisfying once I'd learned their attack patterns to the point that I wouldn't get hit at all. Dung Defender stands out to me for being absolutely ridiculous, too. They could have borrowed a little less from Castlevania for Grimm, but...elephant in the room. May as well acknowledge it, right?

I will probably replay this game sometime next year; it's certainly good enough to warrant it.

8. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    So, how's everyone been doing with the Pantheons? I beat the first two and didn't find them that hard. I've heard the third is a lot harder, but it's still locked because I haven't done the Trial of the Fool yet.