1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Kanto vs. Hoenn Protagonists!

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Dragon, Feb 8, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon

Eevee (J)
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽45.7
    Alrighty, this poll focuses on the comparison of the protagonists from both these games: Red & Leaf from Kanto (FR/LG), and Brendan & May from Hoenn (R/S/E). Basically these are the guys who we choose to play as from their respective games!

Red & Leaf from LG/FR

[​IMG][​IMG]

Red's the boy, and Leaf's the girl; they both have a rival from childhood, and eventually they encounter the evil Team Rocket, to save the Pokémon in Kanto. Soon they arrive at the Indigo Plateau to challenge the Elite Four, where they battle against their rival one more time to become the champion.

Brendan & May from R/S/E

[​IMG][​IMG]

Above is their appearance from Ruby and Sapphire. Interestingly, the character that isn't chosen becomes the rival for the protagonist you pick! They also battle against Wally, as well as the evil Team Aqua/Magma, where eventually they have to save Hoenn from the brink of extinction from the rampaging Groudon and Kyogre. They eventually face the champion Steven to become Pokémon champions themselves.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Above is their outfits from Pokémon Emerald; just a few differences on what they do in Emerald, in which they both encounter Kyogre and Groudon at the same time, so they go to the Sky Pillar to ask Rayquaza for its assistance to quell the beasts. In the end, they fight Wallace to become Pokémon champion~

Alrighty, from all that, here is the poll: Which protagonist duo (Leaf & Red from Kanto or Brendan & May from Hoenn) do you prefer, and why? As always, feel free to share your thoughts. :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I prefer May and Brendan. I liked their design a bit more with the kind of sleekness they had. They also looked less serious compare to the FRLG duo. Not only that, but they saved their region from DROWNING in the sea or BURNING on the land.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Treecko007

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I really like the FR/LG Duo, I don't really know why (maybe cause FR/LG were my first games) and *sniffs* i remember all the memories i had with them

4. broongus

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,635.0
    Hoenn protagonists. I'm one of them. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    Red and Leaf all the way. I have slightly fonder memories of Kanto (pre-ORAS), and honestly, I definitely prefer Blue as a rival compared to Brendan or May. Plus they beat my favorite villainous team and team leader.

6. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Well, it's no question that I have a strong preference for the Kanto protagonists. Red isn't only a hero, he is the most powerful Pokémon trainer in the world. I wish I could say the same about Leaf, but she wasn't around since the glory days of R/B.

As for Brendan and May, I just see them more or less as afterthoughts.

7. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    As much as I like Red for being Red, I prefer the Hoenn protagonists as a character duo for the games. Their interactions were a bit more involved in the story, at least in my experiences, while Red and Leaf were just kind of replacable characters. They felt like they missed something that would've given them more personality, though I can't really point out what made May and Brendan different in that perspective. But overall, I definitely prefer the Hoenn characters as a duo.

8. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Honestly, my favorites are the Hoenn duo. I've got to choose them since I'm a Hoenn-nostalgic-freak ;)

Brendan and May are such bosses, and the remastered versions in ORAS are pretty awesome as well. I was never a huge fan of Red and Leaf, to be honest.

9. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Probably Hoenn's protagonists solely for May. I loved her in the anime so naturally I'd adore her in the games too, that and FR/LG's protags were so, so forgettable. Leaf especially. ):

10. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Hoenn ones easily. I'm not a big fan of the Kanto protags at all, they just look...boring.

11. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    The Kano protagonist were so bland. I'm going to go with hoenn. Just look at May. ~

12. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    The Hoenn protagonists are my favorites, by far. They're tied with the BW protagonists for my all-time favorites- well, at least Brendan is. May is okay, but Brendan's design is my favorite.

13. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    This is hard, I like both. But I prefer Brendan and May's appearances, plus they come from my favorite region, so I'd have to say them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.