1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Lighting

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 22, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I've talked about shading, but you can't have shading without lighting! How do you decide where your source of light is? Do you guys even have lighting in your art? Any tips on lighting?

I sometimes do the whole 'draw the sun on the part of the canvas where you want your light to come from!' trick. It helps a lot even if it seems kinda silly. I need to practice with lightning more because usually I just have it come from one corner of the canvas. It's what I'm most comfortable with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I started using lightning in my works a week or two ago? I usually just place the light source in a corner and hope for the best

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    Thunder Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    LightingTestPicture.jpg
    I actually did a lighting test myself not two days ago.

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I always shade my pictures as if the light source is to the top left of the page. I don't know why I do it that way, it's just what comes naturally to me.

5. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    same. honestly i think its because i always draw figures facing the left so in my head i automatically think thats where the light is coming from

6. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I'm not actually sure. My light source usually comes from the top, but I sometimes break this rule. Recently, I made a piece where I had a very prominent "light source", which came from the back of the character.

7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I try to change my light source from picture to picture. Sometimes I'll have my subjects lit from the back, other times from the left or right side, or sometimes from above or below, although the latter two I don't use very much.

8. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    my light source often comes from the top too ^^; I've been trying to force myself to use different lighting.

Chicken likes this.