1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mantine Surfing Guide

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Ryan, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Mantine Surfing is the single greatest addition to Pokémon since having Pokémon walk with you. You can start Mantine Surfing after you finish the first island, and you can finish... never. It's that fun!

SPEED
    Mantine Surfing is pretty simple. Mantine moves forward on its own, and you move left to right to pick up speed. Climb up a wave, then go down in the opposite direction. There are five levels of speed.

1. Slow - No air effects, this is your base speed
    2. Moderate - White air surrounds your character
    3. Fast - Yellow air surrounds your character, replacing the white air
    4. Faster - Yellow and white air surrounds your character
    5. Fastest - Orange air surrounds your character. Go off the lip of a wave with this one and you'll see why Mantine is part flying.
    Your goal while Mantine Surfing is to perform tricks in the air to earn points. The higher in the air you are, the more airtime you have to perform tricks. To get high in the air, make sure you're at the highest speed level.

TRICKS
    There are several trick combinations you can do:

1. Huntail Spiral
      Right -> Right -> Right
      No special effect.
    2. Gorebyss Spiral
      Left -> Left -> Left
      No special effect.
    3. Magikarp Splash
      Left -> Right -> Left -> Right (or any combination of four tricks that don't make up another trick)
      Use this only once per round. I can't confirm this yet, but it seems like you get more points towards the end of the run.
    4. Lanturn 360
      Up -> Down -> Up
      Use this when the waves are high to score more points.
    5. Primarina Twist
      Down -> Down -> Down
      Use this when the waves are low to score more points.
    6. Starmie 720
      Right -> Left -> Right -> Up
      This move can be used for more points with any type of wave.
    7. Gyarados Splash
      Up - Right - Down - Left
      Unlocked after beating the high score for Poni , visiting the surf association, and claiming the Surf Pikachu. This move will double the total points of your last jump (i.e., if you did two tricks and scored 6,000 on your last jump, you will get 12,000 from Gyarados Splash).

OBSTACLES

Thanks for putting this part together, @JukeboxJukain

Mantine Surfing is pretty simple and fun; however, there are some obstacles to look out for. Tentacool will float in the ocean, and you'll lose speed if you bump into them. Avoid dark patches and rocks. The dark patches are Wailmer who will ruin your day. Keep an eye out for Sharpedo - they will track you down and attack you, slowing you down. It sounds like a lot, but they're not too difficult to avoid once you get used to it.

• Pyukumuku rocks: These are at the base of the wave, and are relatively easy to avoid. Hitting them is just standard bounce back and speed drop.
    • Tentacool: These are stationary like Pyukumuku, but can spawn pretty much anywhere, sometimes in annoying clusters that are hard to get around. Either perform a jump, or Mantine Surf your way through them. If you hit one, you will bounce back and have your speed dropped.
    • Wailmer: They appear as dark circles underwater, and are slightly harder to spot, so keep your eyes peeled! Hitting them will cause them to surface and bounce you back.
    • Sharpedo: These guys will actively try to charge you once you get close enough, but if you have enough speed, are easy to go around.
    • Wailord: These appear mainly on the Poni course, and rarely on the Ula'Ula course. They appear as massive dark spots coming out of the wave. As you get closer they will emerge, and if you hit them, you will automatically sink. Thankfully, they seem pretty rare.
    The difficulty increases from island to island (Melemele is easy, Akala is slightly harder, Ula'Ula is hyper level difficulty, and Poni is the master level difficulty)

MANTINE SURF STRATEGY
    Mantine Surf is all about performing tricks - be smart about how you do them!

If you are farming BP, use the Ula'Ula Beach course. The Poni Beach course has far too many obstacles, and the other courses are too short. Leaving from Ula'Ula Beach, you can get 140,000 points or more per run, which turns into 45-50 BP.

Maintain orange speed - this should be your biggest priority. If you're below orange speed, get to orange speed ASAP.

Wait for the bubble/ring around Mantine to shrink or disappear before you do a flip in any direction. The bubble will appear as soon as you jump into the air, and it will return after every flip. Always wait for this to either pop or be at its smallest - it makes an enormous difference (up to more than 30,000 points).

Do not start off with Gyarados Splash. This will waste it for the whole run. Remember, Gyarados Splash gives you double the score of your last jump.

Your tricks for every jump should be Starmie 720 followed up with either Lanturn 360 or Primarina Twist, depending on wave height. Don't stress too much over which flip to use - the point difference seems to be minimal.

Towards the end, but before the goal is in sight, use Magikarp Splash and follow it up with Lanturn 360 or Primarina Twist.

If you haven't used Gyarados Splash yet, use it on the jump after this one. If you score 6,000 points or more earlier in the round, feel free to use Gyarados Splash after that!

Again, wait for the bubble to shrink or pop. This is far better than spamming tricks.

Rewards
    For every round you complete, you gain BP based on your score. The cap is 50 BP.

Let me know if you've discovered anything or have any questions!

#1 Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    SAF, Lexatom and Gwoomy like this.
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    There is a Trick with Gyarados, that is going: up, right, down, left I think? Supposedly gives a huge amount of points for one time, then takes negative points?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Looks like it's the same as Magikarp Splash but with more points! Thanks, I'll add this as soon as I can confirm/use it.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    The Over-the-Gyarados trick is only available after achieving the highest scores possible on every beach, and then heading to the surf association house in Heahea City. There, the man will gift you a Pikachu with Surf holding a Gold Bottle Cap and tell you how the move works.

What you do is perform all directional flips in one jump. Like the Magikarp Splash, it is best performed only once per session, otherwise you won't get as many points. Additionally, you can use Over-the-Gyarados and Magikarp Splash during the same session for massive points right off the bat.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    The cap on the surfing is indeed 10 BP, and all Beach Points are also valid at the Battle Royal/Tree areas; this is a fantastic and easy way to nab important items such as the EV boosting bands and competitive hold items.

I've beaten all the surfing courses now, and have a few updates on obstacles:
    • Pyukumuku rocks: These are at the base of the water, and are relatively easy to avoid. Hitting them is just standard bounce back and speed drop.
    • Tentacools: These are stationary like Pyukumukus, but can spawn pretty much anywhere, sometimes in annoying clusters that are hard to get around.
    • Wailmers: They appear as dark circles underwater, and are slightly harder to spot, so keep your eyes peeled! Hitting them will cause them to surface and bounce you back.
    • Sharpedos: These guys will actively try to charge you once you get close enough, but if you have enough speed are easy to go around.
    • Wailords: From what I've seen, these are only on the Poni course, and they appear as massive dark spots coming out of the wave. As you get closer they will emerge, and if you hit them, you will automatically sink. Thankfully, they seem pretty rare.
    The difficulty seems to increase from island to island (Melemele is easy, Akala is slightly harder, Ula'Ula harder still, and Poni introduces Wailords and a ton of Tentacools)

Best bet to rack of quick points is to do a Lanturn/Primarina then Starmie (Or other way around, haven't really tried; I average about 5K points every time I do this combo)

6. Asemper

Asemper Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽1.7
    10BP is not the cap. I got 16BP from 100k ish points, 90kish gave me 12BP If I recall correctly.

106k got me 18BP just now

#6 Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017
  7. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    That's very good to know, thank you! I'll update the guide.

EDIT: Welcome to LV, by the way.

8. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    It took me a while and I'll admit that it frustrated me...but I figure it out and have been racking up BP :)

Now I just have to be able to do combo moves and stick landings.

And avoid all those damn Tentacool :furious:

9. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Best thing I can tell you is don't get greedy - I haven't been able to use more than two tricks at once. If I'm quick and jumped using orange speed, I can squeeze in a single extra flip (not a combo). Otherwise stick to two.

10. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    The guide has been revamped! Check it out.

11. FallenRose

FallenRose Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽5.0
    If I may correct you on one thing to improve on this guide. You have stated that:

Though you might like to know it seems you can activate Magikarp splash with ANY 4 trick combo which ISN'T a part of another combo i.e left, left, right right or up, up, down, down or even up, up, up, up But NOT down, down, down, up as it would activate primarina twist.

SAF and Ryan like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Thanks for letting me know! I had that in the prior version but accidentally edited over it when I was purging any incorrect information.

Welcome to LV by the way! :)

13. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I should follow this guide the next time I wanna try some BP farming for the fun of it, I don't really need the BP because of the bank I just enjoy trying to get more and this guide seems to be just what I need to get a ton of BP while having fun. Thanks for writing it!

14. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Definitely one of the best new features to USUM. I didn't know there was a surfing Pikachu. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

15. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,671.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    can't believe i never posted in this thread, but damn, it's 2022 here and i'm still using this. very pog guide