1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mew~

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Dragon, Jan 17, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon

Eevee (J)
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽45.7
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, Mew was not planned to be programmed in the game. It was just intended to be as a joke from one of the developers, so that only Game Freak staff members would know about and be able to obtain that Pokémon. But of course, thanks to a well known glitch at Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue, players soon found out about Mew too!

The glitch itself though, was pretty tricky.. you'd have to battle this trainer with a slowpoke, then fly to Lavender towards a gambler, BUT you're not supposed to battle the gamer - you're supposed to take one step towards him, then press start immediately to fly. Soon you'd have to go back to Lavender where the start menu 'pops up', then when you close iit, Mew will be encountered. But there's also a lot of different versions of this method with different trainers and locations.

Or.. something like that, I don't really remember that much, but, it was a glitch! Haha. Once you've gotten mew, you'll find out that Mew can learn every single move in the entire game, making it.. versatile, to say the least!

In any case, did you ever obtain Mew, or knew about Mew during your playthrough of Pokémon Blue and Red? What do you think of this mysterious 151th Pokémon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I actually never obtained Mew. I was afraid it would screw up the game and the process of getting Mew was way too tedious for me to handle. I did know about Mew though due to my brother and his friends talking about it while I was playing the game.

When I first heard about it, I thought it was pretty cute, well, the updated model of it. The original sprite looked too much like a embryo for comfort.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    I actually found out about this glitch and told one of my friends about it. We both tried it on our Yellows, but I screwed up the glitch halfway through so I couldn't complete it. He managed to catch it though, so that was pretty cool.

4. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    I remember when I first heard about Mew's discovery in this manner; I was really surprised. Granted, I started playing Pokémon in 2006 with Emerald, so I wasn't very caught up in the original hype.
    I've heard theories about MissingNo in a similar way, though. The common theory alludes to the data of Pokémon that were ORIGINALLY planned to go into the games - 200 Pokémon. 200 Pokémon were originally planned to go into the Red/Green (then Blue for America), but the developers decided on elongating the series into Silver and Gold (the newly planned ending games for the whole series). The game data for all the Pokémon still somewhat existed, allowing MissingNo to come to life, but in the end the data of the Pokémon planned to take its place were unattainable.

5. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    When I was younger I'd always found Mew to be so cool - not to mention adorable! - given how elusive it was. It being near impossible to obtain was fitting for how mysterious they made it out to be. I never did capture one nor did I even know about all of these glitches to capture until a few years ago. Shame because if I had known earlier it would've freaked me out from excitement. Owning one would've been a dream for my kid self. </3 Luckily its sprite in R/B/Y wasn't bad at all unlike Green's, urgh.

6. DracoFeathers

DracoFeathers D to the R to the A C O!

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I have one in my yellow version, caught through that glitch you described. It's unfortunate it can't be transferred all the way to my X/Y and ORAS, because I've always wanted a nice legit one. Maybe some day I'll manage to obtain one. Or I'll finally get desperate enough to AR one, or buy a hacked one haha.

7. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I'd always perform this glitch to get myself a Mew. I'd later exploit the glitch to where I could easily get one at Lv. 100 and as early as Cerulean City.

8. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I had this somewhat hacked version of Pokémon Yellow on an emulator, in which it was possible to catch Mew at the Nugget Bridge if you triggered a certain chain of events. Of course I did this, but it was pretty difficult to pull of. But because it was on an emulator, I don't think it really counts. I never had a Mew in a real game though. Actually, I don't think I've ever had a legit Mew at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.