1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ConfettiCat, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Let's talk musical instruments!

What instruments do you like/love/admire? Do you play any instruments? Are you currently learning to play anything? Do you have any experiences involving instruments that you can share?

Please prepare yourself for my rant please I can't help it I'll put it in spoiler tags if I have to so tell me

I absolutely adore a good piano or keyboard, I love listening to a good solo or even an accompany for a vocal. I think pianos sound beautiful and they can easily render me in awe. Classical piano is great, I also like jazz and a few others. Other than that, I admire guitars a lot. I think guitars are really cool, I like that you can play either chords or melodies or combine both of them, and I like that when you just play melody, it doesn't really feel incomplete like it sometimes feels when you play the piano with only the right hand. I like both acoustic and electric guitars. Saxophones are also cool, and they sound so amazing in jazz!

As for the instruments that I can play, I can play the piano but not very well XD I mostly play classical so for the most part, I rely on sheet music for songs. But for some reason, I'm better at memorising the songs that I play rather than playing while reading a scripture. My piano teacher is very good at the latter, while I'm not that fluent (?) at reading notes. I want to get better at improvising, so that I can actually accompany songs using more than just chords. Some people I know are very good at improvising and it's just amazing how they do it. It makes the accompaniment have more feeling, and I wish I was able to do that. I also long for the ability to compose on the piano, I admire people who can create music, their works cheer me up so much and they're a great inspiration to me (bless you all songwriters!). Aside from the piano, I've also learned how to play guitar and the violin, but my fingers usually hurt when I play. I know that you'll get used to it after a while, but I also know that the texture of your fingers will change, and I'm not ready for that yet so yeah XD But it'll happen sooner or later even without guitars, and it's probably better the earlier you start so maybe I should get back to it. Also, I'm learning how to play drums, so I hope i can get better at it.

Anyways, sorry for the long rant, and please feel free to share your thoughts as well! ^_^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I used to play the piano when I was very young. I kind of lost my passion for it now... But at least I know how to read basic sheet music. That's useful, right?

Meanwhile, my mother is currently trying to play the fiddle. She's, uh, still learning... She's getting better everyday though. >u>;

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ConfettiCat likes this.
  3. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I play the recorder, but I don't have a burning passion for it. I was considering tying to teach myself piano, but with my schedule it's tough. I love watching people play the drums, though, and I kinda want to learn.
    #MissingNo

ConfettiCat likes this.
  4. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I used to play the electric guitar when I was younger but traded that to play soccer and basketball. Instruments are so so so fun but you have to dedicate a lot of time!

5. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    So many people dropping their instruments... as a band kid, this makes me sad :<

Back to the topic, I play flute! I've been playing flute for a little over five years now.

6. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    what got you started with the flute if I may ask?

7. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    It was during fifth grade... that's when the band director presents the concept of being in band to the smol children. Later that evening they had some kind of "open house" where you could buy instruments.

I was actually debating whether I should play flute or trumpet, but the flute won me over. Besides, if I didn't pick flute I wouldn't have met all my friends :3

ConfettiCat likes this.
  8. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    You're so lucky, I wish I had that! I went to a school that didn't care about music so we never had the instrument choice and band stuff like normal elementary school kids do! Are you in your school band?

9. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Yep, I love my school band! We do marching band (personal fave), concert, and pep band (where we play at basketball games). I'm stand partnered with one of my best friends too, so that's also a plus!

but my senior is graduating this year so that's not a plus...

10. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Do you wanna be part of the pep band in college? You could go to some cool basketball games and play there!

11. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Of course. My band adventure won't stop in high school, after all :D

Vigilance likes this.
  12. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Cool! Good luck!

13. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am a singer, my throat is my instrument, the most portable of them all. I wish I had learned how to play the guitar. I own one but I am not allowed to play it sadly. Though a do admire the drums. They seem fun.

14. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Fellow singer reporting! I will bore you for hours with my choir stories if you let me.

I can play piano a little, but nothing spectacular--mainly picking out chord progressions using the "auto-chord" feature on some digital pianos

15. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    That's so cool! I never had anything of the sort at my school either, we just have a school band activity after school, and I can't mingle with the other kids, so yeah... :sweat:

Also, being in a marching band also sounds really cool! What is it like? I imagine it'd be somewhat nervewracking... Do you have any memorable experiences in the band (any band is fine) that you can share? I would love to hear any, if you don't mind ^_^

I'm sorry I forgot to mention singing! :sweat: Also, if you don't mind me asking, why aren't you allowed to play guitar?

Ooo choir stories! I've been in a choir before but I was never too serious about it. Tell me, what are those choir stories that you inform us of? ;) I would love to hear one if you don't mind sharing! :D

16. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have long nails, so I dont break the strings, I am not allowed to play it.

17. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3

Marching band can be described as hell first as you have to learn the "rules" of marching band (called marching basics, you learn things like how to stand in set and playing position and how to march in all directions with your toes.heels up), but it's really fun once you get the hang of it. We have around three competitions a year where we compete for placings or to continue our school's 15+ streak of straight Division 1 ratings.

As far as memorable experiences go, I have so many I can't even begin to describe them. They're all about me and my senior/friends, doing things like drinking sparkling grape juice while walking to the field, playing on a children's playground as we were told not to, wasting time at pep band nights by raiding a practice room and talking... and I know I'll make so many more :3

WavePearl and ConfettiCat like this.
  18. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    @[member="ConfettiCat"]

Okay...I guess I can tell you one...

I actually got out of a singing test because of my range--the test was to check your range, and then sing a bit of both the soprano line and the alto line (I forget what the song was called now.)

When my turn came up, I did the range test, and of course, I crack attempting to sing soprano, but do better going down.

The teacher explained that there was no way I'd be able to do part 2 of the test, since I obviously couldn't hit the soprano line and even the alto line was too high--so I got an A just for doing the range test!

ConfettiCat likes this.
  19. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I have a burning passion for music, and I've had it most my life. But, I'm musically declined, although my dad can play 10+ instruments. I tried to learn to play guitar twice, on his recommendation, but I couldn't pick it up. But luckily for me, I wanted to do an accurate cosplay for Link and bought myself an ocarina. It came easily to me and I was able to pick it up very quickly. I still play it, but haven't been able to sit down and play it as often as I want due to life.

Before I discovered the Ocarina, I would sing and I sang for many years and I went from having a very bad voice to having a somewhat decent voice. Not good enough to sing alone but good enough that I don't feel like I'm torturing everyone around me.

ConfettiCat likes this.
  20. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    My preference is towards the flute, preferably ocarinas. I just like the sound of woodwinds for some reason. That and they are the only instruments that I have been able to teach myself how to play.

ConfettiCat likes this.