1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rate my OU Team

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Wingmaster, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingmaster

Wingmaster The Tides of Destiny

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Hey. So, my current team is as follows:

Origin (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower

2fast (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    Jolly Nature
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore
    - Low Sweep

tl;dr (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

NOT RU (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 128 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Encore
    - Taunt
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed

Generic Bird (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost

NOT UU (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Scald
    - Rain Dance
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes

I usually lead with either one of the grass types depending on what teams are like. If there is an obvious supporting Pokémon lead such as Forretress, Mew, or Ferrothorn, then I usually send out Whimsicott. I can also scout teams with Whimsicott with a Substitute and a switch if required. I've managed to make something out of it repeatedly, with usually successful Subseeds or scouts for potential game changers.

I also usually lead with Breloom when there are many attacking Pokémon or an obvious Water-Type lead. Greninja users generally fail to switch out to an OHKO Mach Punch and Rotom-W is usually too slow to match up against a Spore. However, there is the problem of facing off against Pokémon with negating abilities (Vital Spirit), items (Safety Goggles), and types (Grass).

Tentacruel has been lowered to UU, but I still find it a great choice to use against Psyshock users or SR/SW. Rain Dance allows Tentacruel to live a little bit more while I set up Toxic Spikes and boosts up Scald to the power of Hydro Pump with the chance to burn as well. However, I often find Tentacruel being useful against Venusaur as it can heal back a lot of damage from the most prevalent Giga Drain, can have the ability Liquid Ooze, Rapid Spin away Leech Seed, and burn it with Scald. It also efficiently mops up damage from potential Sludge Bombs.

However, Talonflame is meant to scare people out. Note how Talonflame has a conspicuous lack of Fire-Type moves; this usually allows me to switch into Pokémon such as Scizor and Bulk Up on the switch. If I take damage, I can just Roost off and Will-O-Wisp physical attackers. Of course, Talonflame is weak to Rock-Type Pokémon and SR.

Mamoswine usually scares off Dragon-Type Pokémon and surprises Rock-Type Pokémon (such as Tyranitar) with Superpower. It also successfully sponges Electric-Type moves such as T-Wave. However, that is essentially the extent of Mamoswine's role as it is easily taken out by Grass-Type moves and Water-Type moves, such as Venusaur's Giga Drain and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump.

My final Pokémon, Scizor, comes out as my main attacker, using priority to take out weakened Pokémon, picking off switchers with Pursuit, and switching out from Magnezone with U-Turn. It's pretty cool.

So, basically, that's my team and my strategy. If you would, I'd like you (whoever "you" may be) to rate my team and suggest some additions, switches, or replacements. One weakness that I have found in my team is the lack of healers, so I'd like a suggestion for a healer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    Interesting... Have you ever tried Stun Spore Whimsi? It works a lot like Thundurus, except w/ no offensive pressure. :[
    Your team is really weak to Lati@s once Mamo/Talonflame are gone, and overall, completely crumbles against SD Talonflame. At the very least, I recommend Sash>LO on Breloom, because it checks a lot of things with Sash. You can also use Thundurus.

Otherwise, I don't see any major holes in your team, so you should try it out and post replays here so we can see what works and what doesn't. :)

I hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
  4. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
  5. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    So... what do you think? Does it work better/worse than before?
    Speaking of which, if you want to use Breloom (which I love ,btw) use Rock Tomb over Low Sweep. It hits a lot more things.

6. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Well... to start off, Thundurus does hit a lot of things and gives me a little bit more coverage than Breloom. The current set that I use for it now (Knock Off, Superpower, Tbolt, HP Ice) is generally okay and I have had a couple matches with it other than the one that I uploaded here. However, I found myself now at a conspicuous disadvantage to Rotom-W and Greninja. Sadly, I somewhat relied on Spore/Bullet Seed and Mach Punch to take care of those respective threats. I even looked it up and Greninja w/ Life Orb outspeeds and OHKOs Thundurus.

However, that's not to say that Thundurus is pretty amazing. It reliably does 2HKO-OHKO on T-Tar, is fast enough to Taunt many different Pokémon, and can even destroy Gliscor with about a 50% chance to OHKO. I really did prefer the more supportive Breloom with its ability to take down Greninja and Rotom-W, two huge threats to my team once Whimsicott is taken down, but Rock Tomb sounds like a good idea in replacing Low Kick and giving it Scarf rather than LO. I'll check it out and be back with another replay.

7. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    Scarf-loom is... um... Do you mean Focus Sash?
    Also, yeah, Thundy is outsped, but I use a Sub-T-wave set, so I didn't have any problems with 'ninja. I can just scare it out w/ T-wave, and Sub on the switch. :P

EDIT: If you're using that Thundy set, are you running Defiant? If so, Wild Charge > T-bolt.

8. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Welp, you mean Sash? And I've been running Scarf this entire time... but hey, it's not that bad of a choice. I outspeed a lot of Pokémon. Of course, it's not exactly a good choice either... I keep forgetting I have sash and I lock myself into Spore.

I'll try out that Thundurus set.

9. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    There we go, a match in which Breloom and Sash save my entire game. Have fun watching his remaining Pokémon get destroyed by Breloom.
    I must say, I didn't expect Breloom to do much. That's why I haven't been playing with that team for a while.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-182533125

10. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Because my old teams were just not cutting it, I developed a new one. Check it out, please.

Firebird (Talonflame) (F) @ Salac Berry
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Natural Gift

Yes, you read that right. Natural Gift, a move that is rarely seen on Drifblim for that Unburden boost, is on Talonflame. But why, might you ask? Let me just say one thing: It's a physical base 100 power Fighting type move. Case closed. (The others are pretty much standard by now.)

Voltegeist (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Special tank Rotom-W is here, and he (she? it?) is ready to wreck other Pokémon. Pain Split and Leftovers for recovery, all those EVs and its nature for tanking, and those speed EVs to outspeed max speed EVs Jolly Azumarill and burn it successfully. Plus, it can pull off Volt Switch to mess with anyone who uses Prankster. (Have I mentioned yet that Toxic Heal Breloom is actually pretty amazing against Sableye? See below.)

Flying Earth Man (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off

Now let me ask you a question. When I say the word "bulky support", does Landorus-T come to mind? If not, good. That was not what I was aiming for DESPITE those EVs. Thought I really do consider it as more of a support now due to its ability and three (technically) support moves, it still does a lot of work and it really just demolishes. Of course, it's a bit of a situational Pokémon as it isn't as reliable as the previously used Thundurus. However, that SR and Knock Off are revolutionizing my game.

Newtype (Latias) (F) @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Reflect

Latias has a weird role in my team. Though originally intended to be a Defog / Dual Screens support, I quickly realized that most of my Pokémon were specially defensive anyway and that I needed a reliable recovery move and a move that took down Skarmory. Thus, this weird and unorthodox moveset was created through necessity and combinations. As stated before, Latias has Reflect to lessen the pain of physical moves such as Superpower, Bullet Punch, and my personal bane of Psychic types, Pursuit. I'll admit, Scizor has destroyed many a Lati twin on their switch with Pursuit. If you don't believe me, look it up: Pursuit on the switch has immense power and when used by Mega Scizor, it'll OHKO most of the time. Let's be serious here though, even without a switch, it'll do a lot of damage. Reflect and Recover cover for that, and HP Fire hits back hard against Steel types like Scizor, Skarmory, and Excadrill. Defog is the obvious last choice for the unfortunate lack of a Rapid Spinner on my team. However, because only a few other Pokémon have recovery moves and/or items, I'm considering switching out Recover for Wish or even Healing Wish as a little farewell flip off to the opponent.

Zeta (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Drain Punch
    - Protect
    - Spore

Hey, it's a status absorber! With a good Reflect boost from Latias, Breloom can usually switch in and get the Toxic Heal activated. Then, it begins to wreak chaos. Leech Seed, Toxic Heal, and Drain Punch give back nearly 50% of Breloom's health every turn depending on the Pokémon and Breloom can also Spore off threats and Protect for scouting and a little Leech Seed damage. However, Breloom isn't pulling its weight very well in the various matches that I've had, so I'm considering switching to a Drain Punch / Stone Edge / Spore / Substitute moveset with a larger focus on sweeping but still being able to recover its health. Plus, if I switch out Protect and/or Spore for attacking moves such as Bullet Seed or Stone Edge, Sableye is not going to be surviving this.

NT-D (Scizor) @ Scizorite
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Swords Dance
    - Protect

Do I even need to say it? Clearly, it's different from my previous Scizor set. This one is all about da power. But hey, it still really sucks. It literally only has usage for priority and trapping Pokémon in and/or attempting a sweep with Swords Dance. I am most definitely changing this one. It doesn't even have a Bug type STAB, and that is really bad. What was I thinking?

11. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    I'm toying with the team now, seeing what I can make of it.

I'll post a edited version later, since there are a lot of changes I want to make. :P Also, isn't Liechi Berry better? Since you have answers to Heatran but not really to Rotom-W.

12. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    Try this. I'll explain it later.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Happiness: 0
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Frustration
    - Quick Attack
    - Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Serious Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon

Flying Earth Man (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off

Newtype (Latias) (F) @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    -Healing Wish
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Reflect

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Poison Jab
    - Mach Punch
    - Knock Off

NT-D (Scizor) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

13. BadPandaPancham

BadPandaPancham PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    Just saying, Reflect/Defog Latias isn't good. Especially since Defog gets rid of screens. It is also complete set-up bait for other Pokémon. It really can't do much except set up a reflect, which set up sweepers don't mind as they are able to boost or do whatever they want. HP Fire doesn't even do much to Ferrothorn with that set.
    This one is much better:

Newtype (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock / Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
    It gives you more offensive pressure while keeping some bulk. Lefties works since I know you want to give it a bit more longevity, however with Healing Wish longevity isn't that important. Also with the current team (not the one Spamernoob just updated), you have nothing for Rotom-W. Literally. Hazards are also a problem, even with Latias, because with your current team comp you will be making a lot of switches.

Also @[member=Spammernoob] for that Magnezone set, change Serious nature and change Hidden Power Ground to Hidden Power Fire. If you want to trap Heatran you can't even just switch in on it and it doesn't OHKO. Plus most of your team deals with it already (Conk / 2 EQ users) so there is no reason to run it over HP Fire, since Ferro does in fact threaten the team.

Scizor is running 104 speed to do what exactly? (Not able to look at it's speed to see what it speeds, I'm in class) Because if it doesn't outspeed anything it needs to with that spread, run 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD. Also confused on the Lando-T spread, why obnoxious 8 SpD? Any reason in particular?

The team is also really weak to Rotom-W, and a lot of other physical walls considering the fact that you mainly have physical attackers and a non-reliable special attacker (low speed and locked moves, even if it's powerful).

Also let us not talk about the Ice-type weakness.

Spammernoob likes this.
  14. Spammernoob

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    @[member="BadPandaPancham"], Thanks for the help. :D
    Yeah, I was kinda toying with the team he made and seeing what worked better. My thoughts on HP Ground were that since I had Mag on the team, Ferro wouldn't expect the HP Fire from Lati. The Nature is messed up though. Sorry. It was supposed to be Modest.

Anyways, I run 104 Spe. on my CB Scizor so I outspeed SpD. tran (4 Speed Heatran) and can OHKO with Superpower. That's all. :/(They hit 191, I hit 192) Though, to be honest, you don't really need it. You have enough answers to Heatran.

I didn't feel like changing his Lando-T spread 'cuz I was being lazy. D: Sorry.

The Reflect on Lati was because it looked like something he wanted. Lati doesn't need Reflect, or even HP Fire, imo. Just use the standard set.

Fixed sets:

Newtype (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Healing Wish
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock

Magnezone @ Choice Specs

Ability: Magnet Pull

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Volt Switch

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Thunderbolt

- Flash Cannon

BadPandaPancham likes this.
  15. BadPandaPancham

BadPandaPancham PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    HP Fire Latias is a thing, it's just only used if you are in desperate need for a Fire-type move on your team or an easier way to deal with Steel-types. For the team I am not too worried about it, but there definitely is only one reliable user for that (Magnezone).

Unfortunately for Scizor, a lot of Heatrans like to speed creep (8 Spe) or run 68 Speed EVs on Taunt variants.
    I still recommend running a more reliable special attacker over one of the many physical attackers on the team.
    While Scizor hits hard with a CB and adds more priority to the team, I feel like it is not as useful as it could be on the team.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump / Icy Wind
    - Scald
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Flying

I recommend HP Flying for Specs only and HP Electric for Scarf only, as HP Flying is only good to do a lot of damage to Mega Venu, which a scarf HP Flying doesn't do (lack of boosted power). Same with Icy Wind only being really viable on a specs set due to the low base damage.
    Your team could benefit from scarf speed as you are weak to scarf chomp / scarfers in general really. Specs is to do a great deal of damage just like Scizor.
    It also doesn't add any extra weaknesses to your team, either, besides a bit of a Fairy weakness.

16. Wingmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thx guys, I'll be sure to test every variant. In the time that I do, check out this replay:
    replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lakevalor-ou-417

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.