1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Runaway (Based off The Hunger Games and Pokemon) Warning: Contains death and stuff...

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by Tobias, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobias

Tobias That Divergent fan.

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Meh, I guess I should C+P this since I am already working on this on another forum. xD Just remember that this is my fanfic and will be a lot like the actual Hunger Games at the start, but will change later on.

Chapter 1
    [background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]
    As I walk out of my house, my mom walks up to me. "Maya?" she asks in her desperate voice.[/background]
    "Yeah mom?" I answer back.[/background]
    "Where are you going?" She asked.[/background]
    "To the woods. I'll be back soon. Don't worry, I'll be fine," I said.[/background]
    "No," she said. "It's dangerous. I know that you know what you're doing, but the capitol might find you." She is just scared of losing me. My dad died six years ago in a mining accident, when I was only 11. Or what we think is an accident. My brother was a tribute in the 65th Annual Hunger Games, and he lost when he was swallowed in flames. He was only 12.[/background]
    The Hunger Games is 24 people who then go in an arena to fight to the death. There is no rules really, because people never really listen to them anyway. The tributes used to be picked by other people, but they changed it to where they pick out your name in a glass ball. I guess the capitol thought that it would be more fair that way. The arena can be anything from a desert to a rain forest.[/background]
    "No! I want to go in the woods! You can't stop me!" I said. [/background]
    "Fine. You're right. I can't stop you. I have no energy left. I still cry about your dad every night," she said innocently.[/background]
    "Don't worry, the capitol won't find us. And besides, the worst they could do is make us an avox or kill us. And besides, who wants to be alive in the districts of Panem?" I assure her. I look around to make sure no one else heard that. Especially little Ellen, who is only 11. It's not safe to say stuff like that in Panem, even if it is in the safety of our home.[/background]

"But that's the thing that I don't want to happen!" she yelled. "I don't want you to be dead, just like your father and your brother!"[/background]
    "It'll be fine mom. I promise."[/background]
    "Okay..." she said. "Promise you will be home soon."[/background]
    "I promise," I say.[/background]
    It's not true. I spend hours with my friend Woof, who is my hunting partner. He is the same grade that I'm in. Woof also lost his father in the mining accident. Brown hair, hazel eyes, and tall. Some people think that we are dating. I'm just confused about him right now. I want to date him, and maybe even sometime marry him, but if we break up, I don't want it to mess up our friendship.[/background]
    It's reaping day for the 68th Annual Hunger Games. My name is entered 10 times. Six of them are mandatory, and the last four entries are for oil and grain for my family. If you enter your name in twice, then the capitol repays you with oil and grain. They pick out the names in a glass like ball. The woman who picks the names out is Effie Trinket. Everyone knows that she wants to get promoted to another district - where people win more often. There were two winners that I know of. One died and the other is Haymitch Abernathy, who is always drunk. I guess he is the reason why we barely get any winners.[/background]
    I run out of my house and look for the woods. I see children peeking out of their windows an old people outside looking at me. I found the fence that breaks apart the wilderness from the safety of District 12.There used to be wild animals attacking District 12 a long time ago. They put up an electric fence to keep the animals out of here. The fence is supposed to be electrical, but it isn't usually alive. I still listen to the sound that means it is alive, though. The fence is safe right now. It doesn't make the sound when it is has electricity. That's good for me. I go under the fence. Then I walk over to the lake. I find Woof there.[/background]
    "Maya, do you want to know what I got?" Woof asked.[/background]
    "Sure. What did you get?" I asked. He gets out a basket of cookies.[/background]
    "It's for the reaping day. I shot a Squirrel for it. The baker's wife gave them to me," Woof replied.[/background]
    "The baker's wife? I thought she hated us!" I said.[/background]
    "I guess everybody wants to help other people out on the reaping day," shrugs Woof.[/background]
    "I agree," I said. "What do you want to do?" I asked. We can hunt, catch fish, look for strawberries, and swim.[/background]
    "How about we go hunting?" Woof suggested. I get my Bow and Arrow that I hide behind a bush by the lake.[/background]
    I hear Mockingjays. Mockingjays are actually funny creatures. They were bred from a series of birds created by the capitol, which were called Jabberjays. Jabberjays can copy anything - from a baby's cry to a beautiful lullaby. They were created by the capitol to spy on the rebels during the Dark Ages, then the capitol called the Jabberjays back to find out what the rebels were doing. It's kind of like a smack in the face to the capitol, because the rebels found out about the Jabberjays and gave false information. The capitol let the Jabberjays die off after this.[/background]
    But they didn't die off. Instead, they actually mated with a species known as Mockingirds, and made a completely new species. The people came up with the name "Mockingjay." These new birds couldn't perfectly play back conversations like the Jabberjays, but they could still play back melodies perfectly.[/background]
    The Mockingjays stopped humming. A hovercraft from the capitol flew over us. We hid behind trees. When the hovercraft left, the Mockingjays started to hum again as if nothing happened.[/background]
    "Never mind. It's almost reaping time," He corrected. The reaping is mandatory, unless if you're on death's bed. The capitol could turn you in to an Avox if you don't attend. An Avox is a person who committed a crime, so the capitol punishes them by making them slaves and cutting out their tongues.[/background]
    I hide my bow and arrow back under the bushes by the tree. It was kind of pointless getting it out, though. Woof and I walk try to walk back home to go to the reaping, but something is blocking our way. It's the fence. The fence is alive.[/background]
    "What do we do?" I asked Woof, terrified.[/background]
    "I don't know! And we can't jump off a tree! We would break our legs!" He answered back. We can climb trees very good, and we have been climbing trees for about six years now. We had to climb trees when we first came in the woods. We both came to the woods at the same time. When our fathers died, we were both forced to go in the woods and hunt. It was our only option. We would've starved to death, like many others in District 12. Starvation is not an uncommon fate in District 12. The Peacekeepers always say it's the flu or pneumonia, but we all know that it's starvation.[/background]
    "How about we climb the trees and view the reaping from above the trees? We aren't entered as many times as other kids, and there isn't a security system or anything." I suggest. There isn't a security system right now. I don't even think that the capitol even thought about a security system. If they did, it would probably be because a tribute was missing. I find myself in fear.[/background]
    "Alright," Woof said. "Let's do it."[/background]
    I climb the closest tree nearby. Luckily there are two trees right next to each other, and both are the same height. Woof climbs the one next to me. We both climb to the top too get a good view of the reaping. I see my mom and Ellen watching the other kids. The younger kids go in the front, and the older kids go in the back. Effie Trinket, the person who picks out the names from a glass-like ball, comes to the stage.[/background]
    "Welcome, welcome!" she says, with her hips to the side. "Before we begin, I want to say this. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor." Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor. Effie always says this every single year. Woof and I mock her in the woods. How can you not mock her? The capitol accent is really funny, and it's the only thing that makes us smile.[/background]
    "I also want to show you guys a video," she adds, turning her attention to the screen behind her. It's the same video every year. It talks about how much we owe the capitol, while they make sure that we are safe. It also explains The Hunger Games, which everyone knows about already. What I think the video is trying to tell us is, "Look at what we do with your children. If you even lift a finger and try to start a rebel, we can kill you in an instant." The video is finally over.[/background]
    "Now that the video is over, let's pick out the tributes," Effie says. "As usual, ladies first." She walks to the glass like ball in the way that the capitol walks. With manor and trying not to sound rude.[/background]
    "Maya Lakes?" Effie reads as she pulls out my slip. "Oh no," I think. "That's me. And I'm not there to come up to the stage." A picture of me shows up on the screen where we saw the reaping video. My brown hair, my hazel eyes. Again, fear comes to me. I see tears on Woof's eyes. Effie looks puzzled as no one comes up. The crowd is whispering with excitement.[/background]
    "Maya, you have to run," says Woof, teary eyed. "You have to. Go now." Peacekeepers look around the crowd. I'm nowhere to be found. My mom and Ellen are crying.[/background]
    "No! I don't want to! I want to stay with you!" I exclaim. I'm crying now.[/background]
    "You have to. You can run for a long time. You can escape." He says.[/background]
    "If anyone has any information about where Maya is, you must come up immediately." we hear Effie Trinket say. I see my mom come up to the stage.[/background]
    "She is in the woods," my mother says. Being in the woods is a crime and is punishable by death.[/background]
    "Go. Go now. You know how to hunt! Sleep on the trees! Make fire! I'll try and find you later." Woof says. I climb down the tree and run into the woods without saying anything. I don't dare to stop. I hear a deer. Maybe I can try and hunt it. But I keep running. I don't stop running until about five miles. If there is one dear, there may be hundreds of dear just waiting to be hunt. I can run fast and for a long time. Only a few girls beat me in races. I find a tree and climb it. I see Woof a few hours later, running to find me.[/background]
    "Maya? Maya?" He asks, searching for me. He is right below me.[/background]
    "Yeah?" I ask. "I'm right here!"[/background]
    "Maya... They are looking for you. And I am the male tribute of District 12," Woof says.[/background]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tobias

Tobias That Divergent fan.

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Sorry about the white. I'm doing a copy and paste from another forum that I am writing this on. Btw, there is cliff diving and language in this chapter.

Chapter 2

[background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"No..." I said. "This can't be happening! Especially not to you! Your name was only entered six times! I thought the odds were in our favor!"[/background]

[background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"Apparently not..." he said back.

"I... I just don't understand! How could we be put in the arena to fight against each other? Out of all of the people? Out of all of the people, how come WE have to be put in the arena?" I asked Woof.

"Maya... Look. I think you have a chance of winning. I know you will win." Woof said. "If I'm going to die, why don't you kill me now?"

I feel like crying now. I don't understand how this could be happening! I thought the odds were in our favor! I thought that if it was either me or Woof going into the arena, then it would be me chosen, not him! I hug Woof and begin to cry.

"No. If someone is going to kill you, it's not going to be me. It's going to be one of the careers. And besides, what would the capitol do if they found out I killed a tribute? My hunting partner? My best friend?" I asked.

"I don't know," replied Woof. "Turn you into an Avox? Make your life like **** in the arena?"

"Well don't give the capitol any suggestions! Who knows if they are watching us right now..." I say. There could be cameras watching us anywhere right now.

"Let's run. Now." said Woof. We stop hugging.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because... Look above you." He replied. I look up at the sky. It's the capitol's hovercraft.

"Run!" I yell. There is rope coming down from the hovercraft and people climb down it. We run as fast as we can and don't stop. We both are good runners, and get first place at school races. On rare occasions, someone beats us, but that is usually when we are tired.

We come to a stop. We are on a cliff, thousands of feet high. I could see that the people are Peacekeepers.

"Jump," Woof says.

"But we would break our bones!" I say. "I thought you were scared of jumping off of trees?"

"Just do it. We have no other choice." He replied.

"Surrender now," the Peacekeepers say. They pointed guns at us.

"No," Woof answers. He jumps off of the cliff.

"Woof!" I scream. I run to the edge of the cliff look down. I count the seconds it takes for him to land. One... two... three... four... five... all the way to 15. He screams and I hear a thud.

"One of the tributes is probably dead. What do we do now?" a Peacekeeper asks.

"Let's look for him. And if we don't find him, or find him and see that he is dead, we have no other choice than to pick another tribute," another Peacekeepers suggest.

"No!" I say. "Let him run away."

"What do we do with this one?" one of the Peacekeepers asked.

"Let's keep her here. There is only three of us, and Woof acts more like a rebel than she is." replied another Peacekeeper.

"Or we can just handcuff her," the other Peacekeeper suggested.

"That too," the Peacekeeper before him said. I get handcuff and have been told to stay. Of course I try to run, but they handcuffed me to a nearby tree. I scream and try to budge out of the handcuffs.

I watch them get a rope and climb down the cliff, looking for Woof. A few seconds later, I think they have success.

"Looks like we found him. Here that, Maya? He is still alive. And you two will fight in the arena!" They taunt. They yelled that at me. I see the hovercraft above where Woof and the Peacekeepers landed. Someone gets a rope in the hovercraft and throws it down to the ground, still holding it. I see the Peacekeepers and Woof's body in one of the Peacekeeper's arms. The hovercraft flies towards me and I see President Snow, the president of Panem come out of it to take me to the capitol and make me participate in The Hunger Games. He takes off the handcuff and guide me to inside the hovercraft.

"How is he?" I ask, worried.

"He is fine. He probably landed on his feet, but right foot is broken from the impact." a President Snow answers.

"What about Ellen and my mom? Did you torture them too?" I ask.

"Nope. Your mom told us everything we needed to know. She also said that Woof was in the woods, too." He assured. "That ****!" I think. I hate my mom so much right now.

"What are you going to do to us?" I ask again.

"Make your life like **** in the arena," President Snow promised. "You see, we can't really kill tributes or make them an avox."[/background]

[background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"Why not?" I asked.[/background]
    [background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"Because then we would have to do it publicly and show it all across Panem. If we did that, then I'm sure that there would be uprisings."[/background]
    [background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"One more question," I said. "Why did you come all the way to the capitol to see me and Woof?"[/background]
    [background=rgb(248, 248, 248)]"Because I wanted to see the rebels," he said. After that, he walks away. Never to be seen again.[/background]

3. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I'm interested! Keep going, please!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.