1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Soft Resetting for a Good Legendary Pokémon

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Rafael, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    - SOFT RESETTING FOR A GOOD LEGENDARY POKéMON -
    by Rafael

Catching your own 5/6IV legendary Pokémon is a simple but time-consuming job. You'll need lots of patience because it can even take one week to get a perfect 6IV. It's all dependent on luck after all. Before I start the tutorial, I will give you some tips.

- - -
    - TIPS -
    - Have a box full of different-natured Pokémon with Synchronize. They will help you get the nature you want.
    - Think of something to do while soft resetting for your 5/6IV legendary Pokémon because it can get really boring.
    - Try to get lots of Master Balls. There are many kind people online who can give you lots of them for free.

- - -
    - TUTORIAL -
    1) Open a new tab on your computer's web browser and go to an online IV calculator. I recommend using Serebii's because it is the most accurate one right now.

2) Enter the details of the Pokémon you want to catch. For example, I want to catch a Bold Cresselia. The fields I filled in the picture are the only fields you need:
    [​IMG]
    3) Now, turn on your game. Get a Pokémon with Synchronize as its ability and the nature you want. For example, I want a Bold Cresselia, so I will get myself an Alakazam (or any other Pokémon with Synchronize) that has a Bold nature too. Put that Pokémon in the first slot of your party.

4) Go to the island where you can catch the Pokémon you want. Save your game right in front of the Pokémon.
    [​IMG]
    5) Now for the hard part. Start battling the Pokémon. As soon as the battle starts, catch it with a Master Ball. When the battle ends, don't save yet!

6) Check its summary first. Make sure that the Pokémon you have has the right nature. Synchronize only has a 50% chance for giving you a Pokémon with the same nature. If it doesn't have the right nature, soft reset your game (L+R+START) and repeat Step 5. If it has the right nature, then proceed to Step 7.

7) If it has the right nature, go back to the IV calculator and enter the Pokémon's stats. Just like this:
    [​IMG]
    Press enter and you will see the IVs of the Pokémon you just caught below.
    [​IMG]
    Note that most, if not all, of the fields will show two or more values for each stat. This happens because the Pokémon's level is still too low to determine the exact IVs. I'm normally satisfied by seeing a 30 IV, but if you're a super perfectionist, you can find the exact stats by leveling it up using rare candies. That will take some time though.
    8) If the IVs you got in Step 7 aren't good enough for you, soft reset your game and repeat everything from Step 5.

9) Be patient. If you really want to get a full 6IV Pokémon, keep in mind that it will take a LOOOONG time. In Gen 6, you are guaranteed to get at least 3 perfect 31 IVs for all legendary Pokémon — so it's a lot easier to soft reset for high IV'd legendaries than in previous generations. However, it's still a 1/32768 chance that you will get a 6IV legendary. I suggest that you look for something else to do, such as watching a TV series, while soft resetting for your legendary Pokémon.

- - -
    I guess that's all you really need to know if you want to catch your own high IV'd legendary Pokémon. The last tip I can give you is to not be a perfectionist. If I were you, I would be content with a 28, 29, or a 30 IV. That increases your chances by a lot. If you have any questions, just ask me.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Bubbles, LostSpirit and Achromatic like this.
  2. Pendraflare

Pendraflare Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    One other thing definitely worth mention is that it helps to bring a Pokémon whose Speed is one point below the absolute max of what you are trying for. For example, a Palkia with a +Speed nature and 31 Speed IVs would have 132 Speed, so if that's what you were trying for, you can bring something with 131 Speed if you have it, and if your Pokémon goes first, then it's a sign that the Palkia does not have the max Speed IVs you are seeking, so then you could reset. If Palkia goes first, then it most likely has 31 Speed IVs, and you can take it from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    Ah yes, I see what you mean. That's a good suggestion and it can possibly speed up the process a bit. :D It might be tough looking for a Pokémon with exactly one point higher in Speed though, but if you're extra dedicated, it can be done with a couple of Speed EVs. :)

4. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    I will leave you a piece of feedback if you don't mind.

It is easy to appreciate that your tutorial counts with a very correct and well prepared vocabulary that also counts with a nice presentation. Your explanation reachs the user mind and you avoid spending time on unnecessary details that may confuse the average reader, what is one of the main purpose of teaching a particular subject.

Is a nice work and an excellent tutorial.

Rafael likes this.
  5. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    Ayyy. One thing that you didn't mention is that it doesn't matter whether your Synchroniser is alive or not, as long as it's in the first slot in your party-- I personally use Ralts with Synchronise so that I can KO it quickly in the wild and "lead" with a one-under user of Final Gambit-- if your ideal Cresselia has 195 HP, you can whittle down your Staraptor to 194 using wild Pokémon and put it in the second place in your party. Starting off the battle, since you technically have your Synchroniser in the lead, the nature is still copied half the time, but you can immediately launch off a Final Gambit for 194 damage, and if the Cresselia lives, it's worth attempting to catch. If it dies, it didn't have a 30 or 31 IV in HP, and there was no point in catching it.

Thanks for the article! It was well written. :]

6. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Oh I see! I didn't know it worked even if the Pokémon fainted. Thanks for the info.

That is another interesting thing to try. It's quite similar to what Pendraflame said for the Speed IV. :D