1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anime/Manga Sub or Dub

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gazi, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    When it comes to watching anime, do you like to watch it subbed or dubbed, or does it depend on the show? Whatever your preference is, are there any exceptions?

I prefer to watch anime in the original Japanese (with English subtitles, of course). At first my family watched anime in English, but when one of our favorite shows (Case Closed/Detective Conan) ran out of English episodes, we began to watch it in Japanese, and we preferred it. We began to prefer the Japanese versions of all of our anime, except for one. Pokémon. Probably one of the only shows that we actually grew up watching. We're familiar with the voices, and the names, and the characters. We're willing to watch it in Japanese, but I think we prefer the English.

2. Canpake

nice
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽41.2
    I'm not gonna lie- it is kind of nice not having to read subtitles when I have a dub on, so I can turn my attention to video games or doing art while multitasking. But sometimes, jeez. It can be so bad. When an anime is sub instead I feel like I can get lost in the world building and the story because the tone is conveyed in a normal manner. Whenever it's dub- I get so caught off guard when there's some weird tonal slip up that it's almost... Comical. And not in a good way.
    So yeah. Definitely on the Sub>Dub side of things.

3. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    I watch both. Dubs are easier to follow for me, but sometimes a show I want to watch doesn't have a dub, so I have no choice. Shows that are currently airing usually qualify for that. So yeah, at this point, I watch both and I don't really prefer either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I almost always will prefer the subbed version. The only exception is Hajimete no Gal. The dubbed version of that turned a garbage show into something hilarious just because of the English VAs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Canpake

nice
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽41.2
    Oh my god I totally change my answer. I totally forgot about Hajimete no Gal. Hajimete no Gal is the only reasonable and acceptable answer for a dub.
    But that'S MY OPINIOOOON.

Grimwave likes this.
  6. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I usually watch sub just because that’s what I’m used to. However, I’m sure there are plenty of animes that have good dubs.

7. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I prefer subs usually, though dubs do have their little gems here and there, whether they're hilariously cringey or actually impressive XD

8. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I'll watch both tbh, although lately I've been watching sub more because I've found out that a few of the larger anime dubbing companies have been shoving unwanted political propaganda onto their dubs (even if the original Japanese version had no politics at all in it).

9. Sylphiel

Sylphiel Swimmer

Volcanion Egg
    (Volcanion Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽568.2
    I'll watch either, though I tend to go subbed mostly because that's how it tends to be presented to me. But if given a dubbed version, especially of certain series, I'll watch that too.

It's really only with older stuff that I'll try to actively avoid watching a dub, because oof...I can't stand those much now even if I could when I was younger.

10. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Sub almost all the time. There are some lovely dubs out there, like Durarara!! and Soul Eater, but I'd never go out of my way to watch a dub first. Usually I'll watch the sub and leave it at that lol. I'm not obsessed with Japanese or anything like that, it's just always nice watching something in its original language. Feels right that way<3

11. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Subbed for most of the anime.
    But for Pokémon, its dubbed.

12. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    I'm more of a dub guy myself, though admittedly I'm really bad at reading subtitles and listening to stuff at the same time, so I have a much easier and more relaxing experience listening to dubs, and really bad dubs tend to be hard to come by in my experience, at least with newer ones.
    I also think people are often too harsh on dubs, but hey, that's opinions. :sweat:

13. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    It really depends for me. I think I usually prefer subs, but sometimes its nice to listen to stuff in the background instead of reading. The only dub I prefer to sub is Soul Eater. I don't know why but I just like the English dub better in that weirdly specific case.

14. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Most of the time, I'm a sub kind of guy. I like subs over dubs because I have been watching subs for so long. I really don't care about dubs or subs, but I do care about quality. I'll watch a dub if its good, but most of the time, I found that the subs have been far better executed than the dubs and I generally gravitate towards the subs. Now I'm used to hearing my favorite character in non-native languages. Also, it helps improve my reading.

15. RegionRunner150

RegionRunner150 PKMN Breeder

All of You
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽63.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Great Ball ★★
    *pulls out sandwich* wait wrong sub

If I want to honestly enjoy the show for the first time, I'll go for subbing. When I'm watching it for laughs (typically with friends) I'll dub it (my favorite has got to be the Seven Deadly Sins.)

16. ShadowJCreed

ShadowJCreed Hex Maniac

Meltan
    (Meltan)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽689.7
    Dome Fossil ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★
    I like the Dub because then I can watch it without needing to turn the volume down I can’t stand subtitles.

17. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    Preferably subbed. Things can get lost in translation which can change the context of things in dubs so that's one of the biggest reasons.

18. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I honestly watch more dubbed animes because I can't be bothered to read... I like listening to plots in the background so I can focus on other things.

19. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    It depends on the anime. Usually though, it is hard for me to read subtitles and watch the anime so I prefer dubbed if possible AND as long as the voice acting is decent.

20. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I always watch dubs whenever I can. If I really want to watch a series and I know that it;s not going to get a dub, then I'll watch the sub. I find having to read subtitles can get detracting and the translations tend to be too literal, making the dialogue seem strange and unnatural at times. Also, and I don't mean to sound racist here, I don't like the way that Japanese sounds. There's just something off about it to me.