1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The 8th Gym Leader

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by warriorseadra, Sep 5, 2021.

1. warriorseadra

warriorseadra PKMN Breeder

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I am looking for some feedback on this gym leader I created. As the title states, he is (tentatively) the 8th gym leader of the region. I’m considering making him the boss of the richest company in the region instead. Either way, can you please give some feedback about his team?? What would your reaction to encountering said gym leader be?? Any ideas on how to improve it??

Also, the game is programed so that the gym leader’s Pokémon are at level 65 and the player cannot have Pokémon high than level 60 until after the 8th badge is received. The only true legendary he can have is Rayquaza and that is his final Pokémon.

Kommo-o (White herb) (bullet proof)
    -close combat
    -Stealth rock
    -fire punch
    -Thunder punch

garchomp (muscle band)(rough skin)
    -poison jab
    -stone edge
    -earthquake
    -iron head

kingdra (Assault vest) (sniper)
    -draco meteor
    -ice beam
    -scald
    -Flip turn

Duraludon (wise glasses) (stalwart)
    -flash cannon
    -thunderbolt
    -draco meteor
    -thunderwave

salamance (lum berry) (intimidate)
    -dragon dance
    -Outrage
    -double edge
    -roost

mega rayquaza (life orb) (due to it’s ability to nullify weather)
    -Outrage
    -Extreme speed
    -V-create
    -dragon ascent

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  2. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    Okay, before I go ham in what my feedback is, I gotta ask. Is this Gym Leader meant to be like any regular old Final Gym Leader? Or are you making some kind of extreme difficulty where this Gym Leader exists?

3. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    It is meant to be a challenge for the player, something that a person can’t just walk into without any second thought. I’ve also made a few changes, but I would appreciate your feedback to make this as challenging as possible with the current conditions

4. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    I see. Though even with that I think that this Gym Would be an absolute nightmare to beat.

3 Pseudo Legendaries isn't something you normally see in Gym Leaders, even if its for the 8th. Those things are on the same level as legendaries. That power level is usually reserved for Champions or Post Game battles. Lance has 3 Dragonites and he's a champion. Not to mention the Mega Legendary in the squad. Mega Rayquazza is more powerful than Arceus. That power is insane and personally, I think that's straight-up overkill on the player. Its like he has 4 legendary Pokémon and two really strong additional Pokémon to boot.

Not to mention the level caps. I did some research and almost every single game caps you at least 20 levels above the final gym leader before getting their badge. I get why you would make it lower since you want a challenge, but I think keeping at 60 when the Champion has his at 65 is nuts.

(Side note, Level 60 is a long way. I assume the rest of the journey would make you naturally progress to that level. The champion usually has their teams somewhere in the mid to late 40's )

Basically, if you're trying to make a battle/game that's meant to make your players cry you've succeeded in it. If you're trying to make a game that's like the rest of the main series and is supposed to be fair then this guy needs some heavy nerfs.

5. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Well, a team of 3-4 fairies could probably take it down. That said, in a sense, he might be stronger than the Pokémon league which I plan to have weather teams. Tailwind, hail, sandstorm, sunny day/rain dance and they won’t be having groudon or kyoger.

I would like this to be an impossible to nuzlock game...
    Tears would be great

6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,366.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I mean... if you want to create this game for uber competitive players who have the time and resources to create the right counters, I guess you can market it for that niche? But it would basically be nigh impossible for everyone else - and far too frustrating, as Nyxie said, so I don't think it'd be successful outside the exact uber competitive people.
    To me a huge appeal of Pokémon is the idea of partnering with the mons and building a team that the player is attached to for sentimental or power reasons, and as you said it can be cleared with a bunch of fairies - aka just "have the right counter" kinda removes the whole appeal on that. It's like a lot of complaints people had about Sticker Star in the Paper Mario series, when the bosses boiled down to "have the right attack (in this case Pokémon) to win and you die if you don't" instead of the earlier games where a big fight is just a special fight, which really limits creativity and freedom in the gameplay and punishes the player for being wrong. Yeah the Gyms are usually given their types to make them easier to counter, but rarely is it the case that most of the team needs to be overhauled just to get through, resulting in more grinding that needs to be done. Like, there's a difference between "rewarding" challenging and "punishing" challenging, and the team falls rather close to the latter.
    But I guess what you're making is a kaizo game (aka a game that is unfairly hard) with less "slap six Rayquazas on a team boosh badda bing the end", in which case it probably works?
    Sorry if this is kinda rude but Nyxie absolutely had a point, if you're makin a kaizo game be prepared to only have the kaizo market and not much else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. warriorseadra

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽168.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Yes, this game was inspired by the kaizo plays. Still, thank you for taking your time to mention this.

ChocoChicken likes this.