1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The good, the bad, the ugly: Gen II

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    [​IMG]

The sequel to the original trilogy; Pokémon's second time around, with a completely new region, 100 new Pokémon to catch, and even the original region to explore in the postgame. It was truly amazing to see all this new stuff. But now it's time to take a critical look at this trilogy of games. What was exceptionally good about the second generation? What was bad about it? What made it special? Don't be afraid to mix in your own opinion, but try to keep an objective view as well!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    The good: the region (more traditional setting compared to Kanto)
    The bad: "Team Rocket" and the Elite Four (way too underleveled)
    The ugly: leveling up past a certain level is TEDIOUS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Oh boy these are still my favorite games out of the entire core series even to this day. The best thing about them for me where the story and that we got colored sprites and with Crystal moving sprites too. As well as the Battle Tower being introduced, yes the very first facility that would later become a bigger and more annoying thing in later games.

The bad thing was that despite having a second region to explore it was all really kinda empty especially after defeating the Kanto gym leaders and the lack of a Safari Zone. let's not forget the flipping roaming beasts I cannot recount all the trouble the beast trio gave me back then.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Good: Lots to do and a whole lot got added to the games.
    Bad: Like Hrae says, it was a bit empty at times.
    Ugly: Leveling up sucked

5. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    The good:
    • Full-color graphics to the extent that the Game Boy Color could handle.
    • The item bag being split into different categories for certain types of items.
    • Breeding
    • Being able to visit Kanto after winning the League (by defeating the Elite Four+Lance)
    The bad:
    • Most of the 'new' Generation II Pokémon were considerably slower than what was generally available out of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow.
    • Most of the wild Pokémon in the middle portion of the game (a significantly long time) were between levels 15-20, even at the point where your party should be above level 30.
    • Having to have an open slot EVERY SINGLE TIME you get a gift Pokémon from any NPC. Was the "automatic deposit if party is full" feature from Gen. I really that sophisticated (or bug-ridden) that it couldn't be carried over to Gold/Silver/Crystal?

The Ugly:
    • Evolutionary stones are INSANELY scarce and difficult to obtain. I don't see why this had to be like that, since Celadon's Department Store was able to sell Leaf, Thunder, Fire, and Water Stones no problem in Generation I
    • The 'new' capture formula made all of the original "basic three" Pokéball variants (Poké, Great, and Ultra) considerably weaker than they were in Generation I.
    • The Legendary Beasts were made roaming.

Mandriel likes this.
  6. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Alright, I’ll mention the one positive no one else has brought up yet. They fixed all the technical issues from the first 3 (Or 4 if you count Green) instalments. The bad? Spending 4-12 hours grinding for the Elite 4.

7. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    The good:

Lets start first and foremost with the soundtrack. I feel like there's nothing more nostalgic than listening to Gen II's many soundtracks, as even as I'm typing this, many of them pop into my head. They're so... memorable and iconic, I think.

Gen II also, imo, had excellent quality in Pokémon. Game Freak really turned the cuteness factor up quite a few notches here by introducing things like the Togetic line, Chinchou line, Teddiursa... so on and so fourth. It really seemed like this generation was really the generation for all the cute Pokémon to exist.

The bad:

Perhaps it is just me, but I do feel like Gen II can feel rather slow-placed at times. The reason why this appears to be the case is because if you're picky with who you want on your team, you're likely not going to find much variety until at the very least until either the 7th or 8th Gym, and that requires quite a bit of progressing. In fact, one of the reasons why I stopped playing my VC Gold version was because of exactly this. Level-grinding can feel like a real chore and so can looking up who to add to your party, which sucks the fun out of the game.

The ugly:

Nothing really comes to mind as far as the ugly goes. Gen II as a whole are pretty solid games while missing a few marks here and there with Pokémon variety issues, but overall it's not a big deal.

#7 Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    My only complaints about it were that there weren't any really good level grinding spots after beating Jasmine. There's a huge section of the game where all of the wild Pokémon were relatively the same level, making it difficult to progress. Aside from that, the male sprite looked like he didn't have a shirt. Random, but yeah, that's always bothered me.

It was the first time a female player character was introduced, although I wish they would have added that in Gold and Silver too, not just Crystal. Some of the most loved mechanics were added to the game in this generation, like shiny Pokémon and breeding. This one is a bit of a personal opinion, but I really think that the starters of this region were probably the best ones of any region.