1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The UK Votes to Leave the EU

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eru Iluvatar, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eru Iluvatar

Eru Iluvatar Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    The UK referendum on whether to stay in or leave the EU has ended after months of debate between the two camps with Leave coming out victorious at 52% of the votes. Scotland and Northern Ireland had both voted for Remain with every part of Scotland voting for remain. Following the Leave victory, the British Pound fell to the lowest it has been since 1985. What do you guys think this will mean for the future of the UK and the EU? Do you support this outcome or were you a supporter of Remain?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fantasma

Fantasma ♃☿♄

(Cubone (Alolan))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.1
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I guess this is the beginning of the end for the EU, sadly the European utopia didn't worked as planned.
    The only thing I can say is that this actually is beneficial for my country for 2 reasons
    1) we now can make trades with the UK without the bureaucracy of the EU and
    2) we can provide the UK with some goods that were previously provided by the EU
    the only downside is that this may end up getting the world economy into a recession so yeah
    only time will say if this was a good idea or not so lets just sit tight and see how all of this develops :T

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Iridescent Isabelle

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    So I'm not the only one who thinks this might be the end for the EU? I was talking about that I thought it might happen. We'll see what happens and who follows next. The Netherlands have been thinking a bit about leaving, too.

4. Eru Iluvatar

Eru Iluvatar Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    I'd imagine France is next, considering how supportive Marine Le Pen was of Brexit. There's been talk of it for a while anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if a referendum followed the next presidential elections. o:

5. Iridescent Isabelle

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    In December, The Netherlands has elections. We'll see what will happen then.

6. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    We'll probably be fucked if we leave, the NL is such a small country, there's no way we'll survive without the EU. I'd probably emigrate asap after finishing college if Geert Wilders and his 'patriotic spring' won here >_>

7. Iridescent Isabelle

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    @[member="Blast"] I'm emigrating anyway, though I'll have to see how England holds up.

We do have Rotterdam harbor and Schiphol airport, but I don't know how trade will be affected by this.

8. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    So many things are going downhill... I don't even want to think what'll happen if Donald trump wins now...

9. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I only hope this won't cause a chain reaction that will eventually lead down to the EU's downfall... By the way, I'm pretty sure this is widespread news by now, but did you guys know that most of the people who voted against a Brexit are young while most people who voted in favour of a Brexit are old?

Maantijger likes this.
  10. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    guys is this how the world ends. bc it feels like the end.
    ireland's gonna be like ??? so all over the place 'cuz of this???
    borders reinstated in the north??? the only country to be both in and out of the EU at the same time?
    the farmers here are gonna lose out on soooo much but at least it'd be cheaper to import from the uk now that the pound is devaluing
    i hear there's calls for a 'unified ireland' referendum to happen and i'd like the north to unify with the south but oooohhhh boy that's a dodgy kettle of fish there
    i'm trying to sit back and watch the fireworks fly, eating popcorn

but then i think of how this might affect ireland and i start to panic a small bit wow

11. Shada

Shada netflix binging

(Taillow)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽252.7
    Repel ★Charizardite X ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Bottle Cap ★★★★★
    Anyone going to Canada or Australia after this? XD

I personally think this is the end of the EU in general, one by one, each country will just leave the EU.
    Cheers! Here's to the world economy shifting!~

12. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I don't understand the merits of this entire situation. Why would you leave behind a perfectly functional economic plan and basically fuck all of your younger citizens over, while letting the older ones make the decisions they won't even have to live to see pan out? Does the phrase "if it ain't broke..." ring a bell? And the "migration" concerns were basically thinly veiled xenophobia, as far as I've read. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, though. Either way, the "Leave" party is ALREADY going back on their promises, the pound is down more than it's ever been in the past 31 YEARS, and it appears Britain is just about ready to run into another recession. Which WILL shockwave into America's economy, France's economy, Germany's economy....do you get my point? It doesn't stop with Britain. This decision essentially puts the whole world into dangerous territory. Scotland is having their second vote for independence in the past three years (HOW FUCKING BAD DO YOU HAVE TO BE FOR THAT TO HAPPEN? TWICE? IN THREE YEARS.) and they're planning to re-join the Union, because apparently THEY still understand what good trade and economic sense is. Other countries are now considering leaving the EU, which will be even MORE of a mess because, as far as I'm aware, that basically means implementing an ENTIRE NEW FORM OF CURRENCY in a MODERNIZED COUNTRY. Does NO ONE ELSE SEE why that's both trivial and in the end fruitless? What the fuck is happening, anymore? In the States, we're close to having a babbling orange madman as a president, and in Britain (who, by the way, always claimed they were smarter. Where the fuck did that get you, love?) they're pretty much facing an economic meltdown. I'm SO READY to be an adult in this world.

TL;DR: I'm not excited.

13. Eru Iluvatar

Eru Iluvatar Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    [​IMG]

I'm not too sure about Australia right now with Turnbull possibly winning again. :') Canada sounds good, you should get packing. xD

Shada likes this.
  14. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Honestly, I highly doubt more countries will leave the EU, but I think there will be changes. Keep in mind GB is literally an island and even if they're part of Europe, they've always been somewhat isolated. NL's economy is heavily focussed on export, especially to Germany and other Europeans countries, and according to polls, the majority of people here doesn't want a referendum like in GB. Germany and France are pretty much the core of the EU and even though there's also Eurosceptisism there, I don't think they'll get out anytime soon, especially because of their continental borders. There's too many benefits and not enough disadvantages for them, even though they pump a lot of money into the system. Then most of the south and eastern European countries get supported financially by the EU and also benefit from toursim a lot.
    That said, there's already being talked about some drastic changes to the EU's system, as it's far from perfect. Still, it has many more benefits than disadvantages, especially for continental countries so it's unlikely to see more European countries jump on the Leave bandwagon, I think.

15. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    ugh, don't get me started on farage. I'm sorry you uk guys got to tolerate a man like that, and I'll feel for you if Boris Johnson becomes the next PM.

oh man if the whole damn eu implodes over this, that'd be a sight to see.

when that europe meeting on wednesday happens, that's gonna be a veryyy interesting day

16. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    All these youtube videos about the world ending by 2017 are turning out to be true D:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.