1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The Wild Area

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Who's excited to explore the Wild Area in Sword & Shield? What do you want to find there?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,671.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    It looks very great! Wonder how it'll work in nuzlockes.
    And CAMERA CONTROL! When was the last time we had that?
    Also, I wonder how the encounters will work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I honestly don't know what to think of the wild area yet. So far it looks like its just the normal routes we've gone through in every other game but a bit more open-world than before and will more variables to what Pokémon show up.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    One thing is for certain: Having an open world with a controllable camera may be par for the course in most video games today. However, for Pokémon, which has for the most part always had a fixed camera, this is revolutionary and has opened up a new perspective for the series. :thumbsup:

Not sure how challenge runs like Nuzlockes are going to work if everything is just one big area, but people find a way.

5. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    This was one of the best parts of the Direct, if not the best! While the extent of online functionality is not known, I can't wait to team up with some of you guys and fight Dynamax Pokémon and stuff! Also, the wild area is the huge, open world that many Pokémon fans have been dying for. While an open world does not define a good game for me, it looks to be a lot of fun, and I'm excited to see what they pack into it to make it more exciting!

6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,366.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    It's my favourite part of the whole direct! Open world and Pokémon actually mix very well. Dynamax Raids sound awesome, too! I loved PoGo raids, and this will definitely be a fun challenge!

7. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Xenoblade Chronicles comes to Pokémon! I'm looking forward to the wild area. I've never really thought of Pokémon as a journey because everything felt so linear. Now I don't expect Xenoblade Chronicles level of openness (though they honestly should be doing that much) I expect that it will be like hyrule field in Ocarina of Time, a big open field that connects all the points of interest. I don't expect anything more, and this will be the first steps for Pokémon to introduce bigger and more open routes. Has anyone thought that Poni Island may have been a test route for the Wild Area?

8. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've been hoping for more open world exploration. My biggest concern is that it might just be a large area that you walk around in and that's it. I'd like there to be a little bit of a challenge to it, like obstacles to climb on or requiring pokemong of specific types to get to certain areas like the way HMs used to be used. A lot of people dislike HMs, but I did like that it felt like I was exploring WITH my Pokémon and that we progressed as we got stronger, rather than exploring on my own and just happening to have Pokémon with me. Based on Corviknight's function though, I'm guessing if there is a way to explore with Pokémon that they'll be specific Pokémon for the occasion like the ride Pokémon in Gen VII, rather than using our own.

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Yes, is gonna be great with the free camera movement so I can really take in it all from all angles. Hoping it'll be as great as they made it sound.

10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    It reminds me a lot of the Poni Plains from Alola. A nice, large area that you can explore at your leisure. When I first played that section, I was secretly hoping that would be the future of routes. It seems like a natural evolution for the series, and it would make future regions feel much more natural. Hopefully there’s more areas like this.

11. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I'm excited to see exactly what the wild area is and see everything, so glad they decided to finally add camera control. Do hope there's some secrets to find and stuff with how big they make it sound.

12. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    They mentioned that they only showed a small area of the Wild Area, so I'm really excited to see just how big and varied it is. The best conclusion is that the Wild Area would cover the entire region outside of the towns.