1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal Ultimate Nuzlocke Challenge: Emerald

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Astinus, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    Since I'm slowly losing interest in Pokémon, I've been playing through my games one last time. I figured that the best way to do this would be by doing a Nuzlocke challenge on one game per generation. So far, I've completed Blue and Crystal, and am making my way through Emerald.

Unfortunately, I joined this forum after making a lot of progress in Emerald, so the beginning of the challenge isn't going to be recorded. I should also mention that I'm playing on a GBA SP and my original Emerald cartridge, so pictures/videos are difficult to do.

Rules are:
    -nickname all Pokémon
    -level limit is set to each Gym Leader's highest-level Pokémon
    -only five duplicate encounters for each route before I lose the encounter for that area
    -game is over when I black out, even if there are Pokémon in the PC
    -five healing item limit in battle

Naming theme: gemstones

--

Started the game as HUNTER Hunter, and Mudkip (Muscovite) was rolled to be my partner. Traveled around Hoenn, building a pretty decent team with some Pokémon that I never used before but wanted to. Things were going pretty great, even though I lost my Poochyena (Flint) and Wingull (Willemite) to Team Aqua and Brawly, respectfully.

Currently, I'm standing on Mt. Chimney, after defeating Maxie. The battle against him was difficult, particularly against that Mightyena of his. One Critical Hit Bite killed my Swellow (Talc). It was such a blow to me. I like Swellow.

After that, battle, I decided that I really needed to level my Pokémon up. I'm cautious with Muscovite's level, since I'll need him for the fight against Flannery. But the others are going to have to step up, and I'm going to have to wonder who to add to the team...

Team:
    [​IMG]
    Talc: Lv. 24 @Silk Scarf FNT
    -Wing Attack
    -Growl
    -Double Team
    -Quick Attack

[​IMG]
    Cryolite: Lv. 24
    -Confusion
    -Shock Wave
    -Double Team
    -Calm Mind

[​IMG]
    Muscovite: Lv. 26 @Soft Sand
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Mud Shot
    -Water Gun

[​IMG]
    Aron: Lv. 21
    -Metal Claw
    -Rock Smash
    -Mud-Slap
    -Headbutt

[​IMG]
    Garnet: Lv. 20
    -Ember
    -Body Slam
    -Curse
    -Smokescreen

[​IMG]
    Druzy: Lv. 22
    -Absorb
    -Sweet Scent
    -Poison Powder
    -Stun Spore

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    About two weeks is a good time to update. Especially since I can't remember half of what happened.

Since the last time around, I leveled my team up enough that Flannery wouldn't be too much of a problem. Nuummite (Numel) joined the team for some extra Ground coverage, and he and Muscovite gained the fourth badge. During the battle, I forgot that Camerupt had Attract. Things were awkward during that battle for a while, but as I said, everyone prevailed. It was off to the desert!

And I caught a Trapinch! Xonotite quickly joined the team because Flygon is a special Pokémon to me. Of course, this gave me a third Ground-type, but... Flygon! Made it through the desert. Traveled around Hoenn. Raised some levels for the battle against Dad Norman, who was the most difficult Gym so far. While I did have Aragonite (Aron) to resist most of the moves, the rest of my team were weak to the surprising range of typed attacks Normal-type Pokémon can learn. Finally made it to the end to fight Dad Norman. Druzy sacrificed herself for the greater good. After she died, Aragonite went on the revenge path, and caused flinches and critical hits to happen. Dad Norman was defeated, and the fifth badge was in hand!

Now able to use Surf, the team traveled around doing bits and pieces of things. Shutting down New Mawville. Losing Nuummite just before he evolved. Level-grinding Sugilite (Slugma). Adding Peridot (Tropius) to the team. And striking that wonderful balance of being so close to the level limit for the next Gym.

Team:
    [​IMG]
    Cryolite: Lv. 32 @Amulet Coin
    -Psychic
    -Shock Wave
    -Double Team
    -Calm Mind

[​IMG]
    Peridot: Lv. 26
    -Growth
    -Razor Leaf
    -Stomp
    -Sweet Scent

[​IMG]
    Xonotlite: Lv. 32
    -Bite
    -Dig
    -Faint Attack
    -Sand Tomb

[​IMG]
    Sugilite: Lv. 22 @EXP. Share
    -Yawn
    -Harden
    -Ember
    -Rock Throw

[​IMG]
    Aragonite: Lv. 32
    -Iron Tail
    -Rock Smash
    -Rock Tomb
    -Headbutt

[​IMG]
    Muscovite: Lv. 31
    -Take Down
    -Growl
    -Mud Shot
    -Surf

3. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    Updates are going to switch to weekly, following a new schedule I have.

--

GROUDON'S ON THE LOOSE AND DESTROYING EVERYTHING!!!

And I'm taking my sweet time exploring Lilycove City.

I thought the team was ready to take on Winona. Everyone was darn close to the level limit, and I was worried about Cryolite and Muscovite going over. But it was supposed to be fine! Sugilite had Rock Throw!

Then a critical hit took him out, and that was the end of my plans. He died far enough into the Gym that I was still under the level limit with my two main Pokémon for the fight. I also added Chromite (Kecleon) to the team, since she's a Normal-type, and I wanted some versatility on my team. She helped defeat Winona, and it was time to move on.

Move on chasing Team Aqua and Team Magma all over Hoenn. Doing so helped catch Chromite and Peridot up in levels, and there were some evolutions. Things are going rather well...if every enemy didn't have a move that caused Confusion.

Now we're in Team Aqua's base, watching as Archie sails off in a stolen submarine.

Team:
    [​IMG]
    Chromite: Lv. 36 @Silk Scarf
    -Slasjh
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psybeam
    -Ice Beam

[​IMG]
    Peridot: Lv. 36 @Lax Incense
    -Growth
    -Magical Leaf
    -Stomp
    -Fly

[​IMG]
    Cryolite: Lv. 36 @Amulet Coin
    -Psychic
    -Shock Wave
    -Double Team
    -Calm Mind

[​IMG]
    Aragonite: Lv. 36
    -Iron Tail
    -Rock Smash
    -Rock Tomb
    -Headbutt

[​IMG]
    Muscovite: Lv. 37 @Soft Sand
    -Take Down
    -Ice Beam
    -Mud Shot
    -Surf

[​IMG]
    Xenotlite: Lv. 36 @Harbor Mail
    -Crunch
    -Dig
    -Dragonbreath
    -Strength

4. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    The team looks good so far! Pretty type balanced. RIP Sugilite, though I don't think Macargo would have been a important member for the upcoming fights... or the rest of the game for that matter.

I'm looking forward to more frequent updates!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    Thank you for the comment! I was trying to keep a good balance with the team, which is why I went with Chromite. Otherwise, I'd only add a Pokémon that shared weaknesses with the rest of the team, and I had been pushing it with having a few Ground and Rock types.

Unfortunately, the team wasn't enough to face against Tate and Liza. Everyone made it through the regular Gym trainers (except for me trying to piece together the changing tiles). Once we made it to the twins, I thought everyone was ready. They had good Sp. Def! But Psychic and critical hits took the entire team out, and my Emerald Zuzlocke was over. [​IMG]

So I started Diamond, and barely went anywhere with it. After a few days, it was time to return to Hoenn. I started a new game with the same rules and trainer name. This time around, my starter is Topaz (Torchic).

Just to haunt me, I kept running in to nothing but Poochyena. Did catch Flint (Poochyena) and somehow managed to find a different species along the way. After Zincite (Zigzagoon) joined the team, I trained up some levels. Calcite (Wurmple) joined us, but sat in the back as I debated if I wanted to train him up as well.

Made it all the way to Route 104, where I figured that it I caught a Taillow or a Wingull, I'd keep Calcite in the back. But instead, Milarite (Marill) joined, and I was pleased to discover that he came with Huge Power. [​IMG] To prepare for Petalburg Woods, it was time to level up Calcite--who evolved to Silcoon--and Milarite, and that's where this run is for the week.

Stats
    Badges: 0
    Deaths: 0

Team
    [​IMG]
    Calcite: Lv. 7
    -Tackle
    -String Shot
    -Poison Sting
    -Harden

[​IMG]
    Topaz: Lv. 9
    -Scratch
    -Growl
    -Focus Energy

[​IMG]
    Zincite: Lv. 9
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Tail Whip
    -Headbutt

[​IMG]
    Milarite: Lv. 5
    -Tackle
    -Defense Curl

[​IMG]
    Flint: Lv. 9
    -Tackle
    -Howl
    -Sand-Attack

6. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Oof. That sucks that you had to start over!

I wish you better luck this run!

7. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    Thanks for the well wishes! This run certainly seems much more luckier. Each member is hitting more critical hits while avoiding getting hit with them, and they don't seem to get hit with as many status effects either.

Update 2
    I didn't raise everyone on the team up enough to fight Roxanne, since I knew that half of them weren't going to do so well. It was Calcite (now a Beautifly) and MIlarite going into battle, with Topaz for backup in case things don't go well. But Calcite handled the trainers, and Milarite handled Roxanne without much trouble.

With a new badge in hand, it was time for the other half of the team to get some use. I started to lead off with Lapis (Taillow), to get her ready for the next gym. The Team Aqua grunt was defeated, Peeko was saved, and Mr. Briney promised a boat ride to Dewford. Also caught a few Pokémon along the way, getting some backups ready in case things go wrong. On the way back through Petalburg Woods, I took the long way around to give Lapis some more training.

[​IMG]
    This popped up along the way! [​IMG] Almost missed it, since I wasn't paying attention and watching a video at the same time. But I caught her, saved the game right then, and tucked her into the box with the others.

Sailed off to Dewford, and knew that there was more training that had to be done before the next gym could be challenged. I plunged into Granite Cave, armed with Repels to avoid the most amount of Zubats, and landed deep enough that I caught Tanzanite (Sableye). While her stats might not be incredible, I've always wanted to use one, so she replaced Flint.

And that's where we are! Training in Granite Cave, getting ready for Brawly, and all hoping that this amount of luck continues.

Stats
    Badges: 1
    Deaths: 0

Team
    [​IMG]
    Calcite: Lv. 15 @Oran Berry
    -Tackle
    -Absorb
    -Gust
    -Harden

[​IMG]
    Zincite: Lv. 13