1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Was anyone else really disappointed with the Vast Poni Canyon?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Polkaa, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Polkaa

Polkaa Swimmer

hoLY
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽23.8
    i personally was expecting an area with really hard trainers, tons of rarer Pokémon, and lots of expansive areas to discover.

but idk the whole thing felt super underwhelming considering there was just moderate trainers with boring parties, like 8 wild Pokémon to discover total, and the whole thing was either caves or plateaus... idk did anyone kind of hype this map up like i did?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I was more disappointed that this was the one area in the game where you could evolve Pokémon like Magneton and Chargabug, and it's already so late into the story once you get there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the whole game in general

4. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Considering that the Vast Poni Canyon was supposed to be Sun & Moon's "Victory Road" I was actually less disappointed with it than most others. Yeah, there's a rather lackluster diversity of wild Pokémon (You can pretty much get everything somewhere else except for like Murkrow, Jangmo-o and Dratini) and they could've added a few more species, but there were enough trainers to make it a bit of a challenge and the story section with Lillie was neat too. If there's a place I was disappointed in for wild Pokémon and trainers to battle, it's Mount Lanakila. Most of what's found there doesn't yield much XP when trying to grind.

If anything that I'm disappointed with about VPC, it's the fact you have to get THAT far into the storyline in order to evolve Nosepass, Magneton or Charjabug. In all honesty it doesn't make sense. You can't even find a wild electric type anywhere in there...

Blush Mountain would've been a far better place to evolve those families...

5. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    It kind of feels like a whole lot of nothing out there, so yeah, I was a little underwhelmed. If it comes back in USUM, I hope they add something of interest to liven it up a bit.

6. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I was hoping for it to be less empty.

7. Polkaa

Polkaa Swimmer

hoLY
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽23.8
    Aaaa yeah i noticed that. like jesus dealing with an electric bus for that long in the game i couldnt possibly imagine what anyone went through haha

I hate to admit it but in comparison to x and y, i was disappointed too. i missed the gym leaders and hms. the game just feels way too directed whereas before you had a bit more of exploratory leeway. i also wasnt a huge fan of the limited fashion, hairstyles, and removal of the daycare system.

that's what i wanted was a victory road. something vigorous full of intimidating trainers that opened a can of whoop ass on your team and wild Pokémon that made you say "whoaaaa" and "so THATS where these guys are..." but the repetitiveness of wild Pokémon from area to area was really ehhh. i dont remember mount lanakila, but i suppose that must be for a reason haha. and yeah as ive said before i cant imagine dealing with pre evolved Pokémon for so long...

oh i wouldnt mind if usum was just sm on roids. bc sm definitely picked up in graphics and storyline but other elements were really stale to me like Pokémon battles and designs...

aaaa yesss thats a perfect word for it! empty!! they had so much space to do some really cool "this is a test of your field skills" type stuff but it was just... yeah empty....

SnowboundBecca likes this.
  8. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It feels so empty, like nothing of importance is there really, it was just a thing to make me want to get from point A to point B and run out of repels making it worse.

9. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    tbh I had low expectations when I first got there yet I was still disappointed by how bland it is. In fact, it's so underwhelming that I can't even recall what went on there except for the ridiculously easy battle against the totem (especially if you picked the water starter)

The fact that I had to wait until I can get here to evolve my Charjabug certainly didn't make things any better.

10. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Yup and you can find the Dazzling Gleam TM before the battle too. That and Dragon Claw made it basically the easiest Totem battle in the game.

11. Polkaa

Polkaa Swimmer

hoLY
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽23.8
    exactly. nothing stood out or was as epic as the game's story tried to imply.

oh my god i forgot about that. tbch i forgot how i did it but i killed the guy in two hits.

it really was. really disappointed with that totem battle.

12. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    There were a lot of locations like this, it was just open and nothing was there other than a mini mission. I just wish they put more details across the map.

13. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    It wasn't very fun to explore, the Pokémon diversity was low so I just used a lot of repels, and I didn't even know VPC's significance was for evolving Charjabug, probably because VPC doesn't have any wild electric Pokémon so why would there be a high electricity level in VPC at all?!

The most disappointing thing in the game though, was the lack of a real Daycare Center. I missed being able to drop off my Pokémon and see them come back with different moves and higher levels!

14. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I came, I saw, I was disappointed
    It was kind of...bland. It seemed like it was just there so you could evolve a few Pokémon, say, 'yeah, Victory Road!' and leave again. The story was nice, though.
    #MissingNo

15. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    It was a nice idea, but badly executed. It was too empty for the last big route in Alola.

16. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Was Actually Disappointed As Well.
    The Area Was Blank And The Dragonium Z Trial Area Are Empty Like No Trainer.
    (At First,I Thought Totem Hakamo-o From The Demo Will Appear Again.But Nope,It Replace By Totem Kommo-o.It Really Disappointed Me.)

17. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    For such a large area it did seem pretty underwhelming. I was hoping there would be more to do there. It definitely didn't seem that challenging either. Hopefully in the next games it will get an upgrade and be more chaotic like other past gen post e4 areas like the sevii islands.

18. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I mean to be fair they tried there best when designing it, but what I was most disappointed about it is that vikavolt has to be evolved there, meaning that you cant get this awesome Pokémon earlier in the game

19. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Yup. Like I had said earlier; Blush Mountain on Ula'ula Island would've been a FAR better place to evolve Magneton, Charjabug and Nosepass. VPC has no wild electric Pokémon in there. The only electric type you can find on Poni Island as a whole is Emolga, who only appears in the area accessible after you become Champion.

20. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    The only thing I wasn't happy with was how long it took to get here considering this was the only place where I could evolve my Charjabug. Seriously, Gamefreak, what were you thinking?