1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 2 Crossing into another region

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Cadbberry, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    This was an amazing feature they added to Gold, Silver, and Crystal to bring a strong postgame but it hasn't returned since. Would you like to see this continued in some way? Did you enjoy the feature? Did you ever play that Postgame story?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I really wish they would bring it back, however I feel the reason they haven't done so is due to limit capacity of the technology of the time, hopefully with the introduction of the switch they will start doing more like that. I actually enjoyed fighting Red at the end of Mt.Silver, which made for a really interesting fight.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    I found it interesting you could switch regions on an older game like that but never implemented it on the cartridges with a ton more space.

Apawn and DeleteAbsol like this.
  4. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Yeah, but at the same time they had also updated the sprites, better battling mechanics, had to program each individual move to be either physical or special after gen 3, and also had to make sure it didn't cause the game to lag out too badly, HGSS is a really good example of what they could do with the technology of the time. However it is worth mentioning that Gen 5 was made to try and emerse people into a new region with just the newer Pokémon, and Black and White 2 was when they allowed us to have access to previous mons from past generations. Enter 3ds games, and they have fully updated the sprites, and SUMO is one of the biggest games released to date from Pokémon for Ds. They had walking animations in the game files themselves however didn't use them. So no clue what they plan on doing for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Cadbberry likes this.
  5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Yeah, that would've been nice, but at least Hoenn was able to connect to Kanto in some fashion because of FRLG... but yeah, I'd love to be able to explore Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh after the events of USUM.

6. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    We should be able to just fly between all the places, not swim but fly to everywhere. Switch between maps pretty much.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I thought that Crossing regions was tha bomb and wondered if it was the new standard, sadly it wasn't.

Cadbberry likes this.
  8. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    ...One of the only things bad about Pokémon games is the (kinda) lack of a strong post-game. (I know what you're saying. SUN AND MOON HAD YOU HUNT DOWN ULTRA BEASTS IT WAS FUN. Yeah, it was fun. After, they gave you a million dollars, said "Ok, have fun" and left) So, yeah, I think they should. Any game should have a post-game.

9. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Yes! I wish it would come back but maybe wasn't advertised like with the original gold and silver. I'll never forget setting foot on kanto and realising that the game wasn't nearly over at all! It was an amazing feeling.

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I wish it would come back too, but also that they make the region you visit after league a tad more interesting because let's face it aside from being able to fight gyms and a few small things Kanto in the GSC games were pretty boring.

But enough about that, I was so hyped when I first crossed into Kanto on my Silver game, I thought it was cool as hell that we could visit both regions.

11. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I really want the awesome post-game to be brought back, but I'm unsure if the 3DS will be able to handle it. I really hope it will, though, because Kanto was fun to explore again. Plus, if Red gets to be battled again, Kanto will make more sense.
    #MissingNo

12. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I feel like this option made Gold and Silver so much more fun than a lot of other regions because there was so much more to do and it wasfun to see how the previous generation had changed. Although Johto didn't have that many new Pokémon, this made it seem like there was still a wide variety of Pokémon to catch. I really wish Kalos had an option like this since like Johto, it felt like there were things missing and that there should have been more to explore within the game.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    After we saw Lillie head off to Kanto, I think we're all praying USUM will let us go there. Though I doubt they'll actually implement it... I CAN DREAM OKAY

14. Cadbberry

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    I think we are all hoping they do that XD It was a great feature

15. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Same here. I mean its so popular of an idea I wonder why they haven't done it in 7~ years. Do they really not have the storage capacity now?...

16. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I really do wish they would bring that idea back in future installments. Having to explore a new region after beating the first one opened up a lot of possibilities.

17. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    This was a mind-blowing feature! I wish would someday go back to the concept. They definitely have the technology to do so.
    Having a different region within the game made the game a little less one note. It is literally a huge post-game feature and really plays into the whole adventure thing. After all, your adventure never truly ends. Idk I wish they brought it back.

18. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    It would be awesome if we could visit two regions in one game. Maybe future Pokémon games on the Switch would have enough space for that. The Kanto region in GSC felt a little empty as they didn't have the room on the cartridge to flesh it out, but hopefully with newer technology, we'll be able to explore two complete regions in one game!

19. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,585.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    ...then they will have to dēal with immigrātıon, passports, DMZ's, etç. etç xaxaxa
    (But srsly, it would bē nīce to sēē gāme bāsed on disūnīted Korēa)

20. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I loved the post game of Gold and Silver. Like many others, it was awesome to find out at the end of the journey there was a whole new world to explore. At the time, I hadn't played Red or Blue so the felling was more confused than grand. Still I had a lot of fun playing with the new region and found it to be the most fun post game ever.

I would like to see it come back in future games, however I can see that not being the case. Think of it this way, they have to make a whole new region and redesign an old one in a new way. With Gold and Silver, this was considerably easier than it is today. Today you have to remake the graphics of each region you want to add where as gold and silver just needed to color the old sprites. The only way I could see them realistically doing this, is if they keep the art style the same over the games and not change much. For example, Lets go Pikachu/Eevee would have the same art style as the new 8th gen game and in return, you can travel to the kanto region in that game. The workload on Nintendo would be far more reasonable then and it might be possible for it to show up. If the graphics are at all different from the previous games, I feel like its too much to ask of Nintendo.