1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you associate people with their avatars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Achromatic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I do, kind of. I never thought that I did, but now that I think about it, I do! XD I get mildly confused when someone changes their avatar, but I get used to it soon enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Teddybear2345

Teddybear2345 Which is cooler, to be cool, or uncool?

PokéPoints:
    ₽529.7
    Rage Candy Bar ★★★Bicycle ★★Razz Berry ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★
    I have noticed, either people think I am really young or am some sort of girl teenie.
    I guess my persona is kind of feminine at best? ^^;

With associating me with my avatar.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Yea, I feel like they are linked with them somehow and when people change their avatar it throws me off. Though I change mine each week so sorry :P

4. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I mean, I have to remind myself that Sonic Ramon is not a picture of Ultra Beasts. Embarrassing. I have no idea how I got the idea in my head that, say, Sheep is a Flaffy (sorry), but that's how I work. Apologies to all of you who I have accidentally, mentally called by your avatars.
    #MissingNo

JadeFox likes this.
  5. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    Yeah, this is pretty much it. I remember usernames pretty well, but the avatar does give me a headcanon visual lol

With that said I guess everyone would associate me with guildshipping

6. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I often do this a lot. I get so used to seeing certain people with their certain avatars, and then when they get changed, I get so confused. I'm like, "Who IS that? Wait... they changed their avatar. XD "

7. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    I totally do, all the time, and it throws me off when someone changes their avatar - not to the point where I get annoyed, though. This is especially true when I haven't seen a user for a while, and then they show up with a new avatar, and it takes me days to figure out "That's where I know them from!"
    It's also why I never change my own avatar. I associate myself based on my avatar . . . which is rather odd, I know.

8. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    I like associating people with avatars, and I am amongst those who dislike it when people change theirs after a long period of time of staying on a certain avatar. However, I recognise a person more by their usernames as avatar changes can be quite often. Due to my mind being focused on other areas of my life and never on social media, I rely on such avatars to help me recognise who people are, so as not to confuse them with others or forget them completely.

This is true to me after I returned to Lake Valor, where people not only changed their avatars but their usernames... and now I can hardly recognise anyone. (would somebody mind telling me the name changes during my time away from Lake Valor? No?) I feel like I have just joined Lake Valor for the first time!

9. Dwlr

Dwlr Banned

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽14.3
    Blue Orb ★★★★★
    Nah not really especially though on sites that have limited avatars and people use the same avatars in and go around the same topics it's fairly annoying or if they're both on the friendlist at glance it's mildly annoying, but that's about it.

10. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Yes, it gives an idea about the personality and likes of a person.

11. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    I do lol. I thought @[member="Seprix"] was a girl because of how cute his profile icon and Sig is. *SHot* lol

12. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    You thought... incorrectly.

13. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    Very Incorrectly, I'm sorry Seprix Senpai </3

Seprix likes this.
  14. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I often find myself doing this and find myself a little disorientated when someone I know changes their avatar. I usually assume that the image represents the user's interests or personality one way or another and in some weird cases, I get this feeling that that's what the user looks like whether or not it's possible (like if their avatar is a cat).

15. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I can identify with this so much. People that change and avatar and username have me confused so much. If not for the orange nameglow I would have never known who Shindou Takuto is. So avatars do help me associate the person to the correct person I have in mind. Also part of the reason I kept my avatar around longer when I had my name change.

16. POKE

POKE Ace Trainer

Johnny Waffles
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.3
    Premier Ball ★
    I do, I like to imagine who I am talking to so I don't just blurt out anything out of character, so if the avatar is a tough person I will say subtle for example

17. Inken'in

Inken'in Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Amulet Coin ★★★Icy Rock ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    I also really often associate a person with their avatar(s), which I think comes from the fact that I have hard time remembering names of things.

18. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    yes! I always get so confused when people change their avatars, especially when I just join a site!

19. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    After thinking about this more carefully, while I often do associate people with their avatars, I feel like I rely on their usernames more. For that reason, I usually don't change my username unless I have to. That being said, it still surprises me when people change their avatars ^^;

(by the way, I changed my avatar and I'm curious to see if anyone would associate me with it)

20. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I'm starting to wonder if i might be one of the few people who actually uses a picture that is a representation of themselves for their avatar XD At least people will be able to recognise me offline if that ever occurs haha

I definitely go through that uncomfortable phase of annoyance when a long time icon association changes.