1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Do you read reviews before playing a Video Game or Watching a Movie?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by sohrob101, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    When a new movie or video game comes out, do you usually read up on reviews before watching/playing the specific media?
    If so why do you read reviews?
    if not, why don't you read reviews?

For me it's usually mixed, I sometimes may or may not read reviews on certain films and games, because sometimes it helps me get into the specific media more, without the need of any expectations or doubts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Usually no. I'll just ask my friend if it's good or maybe watch some Youtube videos of it. That'll give me a real idea of whether it's good or not, without reading a ton of stuff.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DracoFeathers

DracoFeathers D to the R to the A C O!

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I usually try not to look up reviews or videos. I like making my own opinions about things I may be interested in. Sometimes reviews and such can ruin a game or movie too if there are spoilers.

4. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    I look up review and I watch videos when it comes to video games. I need to make sure that it is a game that I will actually play and not a stupid game that I won't ever touch again. For movies, I just ask my oldest brother, he knows everything.

5. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    As or games, anything that's not licensed by Nintendo, yes. Everything else can't be very trusted.

I don't watch many movies nowadays, but when I do, looking up reviews first is a must (though I don't always trust them anyway and end up giving the movie the benefit of the doubt).

6. Butternut

Butternut The Coolest Spider

Joltik
    (Joltik)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,905.8
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Ultra BallCrown of Valor
    Nope, I'll find out on my own how good it is, however if I do read a review, it can definitely influence my decision.

7. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I tend to read a lot of reviews just to make sure I don't get scammed. Advertisements can make something seem absolutely necessary. However, if the reviews are bad, I know that I should stay away from that product because it probably won't work or has somekind of side effect.

8. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I don't usually look up reviews for movies and stuff because I want to form my own opinion rather than a slightly biased one due to a review that I read prior.

As for products, I will, to make sure the product or the seller is good.

9. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I don't watch a lot of movies anyway, so I don't look up any reviews for those in general. Video games however is a completely different story. A lot of times, I get interested in a game or game series because of the reviews some YouTubers give about it. For example, it's because of YouTube that I bought A Link between Worlds, and now I love the Zelda franchise :D Without those reviews, I probably would've never played any Zelda game at all.

10. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    I tend to be a mix, but sometimes yes. I always research into a game before purchasing, to see if it's worth it. On occasion, I go off what others say (like with Fantasy Life, thank you Ben), but generally, it's always about the research!

11. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    Sometimes I'll read movie review and even the plot if I haven't heard of it before, but usually for movies I'll go in blind and games I'll be recommended by a friend.

12. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Nah. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean I'll have the same opinion. Everyone's taste is different.
    I'll check to see if the game is glitchy though.

13. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    If it is a movie I am not that interested in, I would read the reviews just in case I need to justify the reason why I don't want to see it.

14. TAPQI

TAPQI Bird Keeper

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I don't, i feel like it spoils too much for me :s

15. Galaxy

Galaxy Sailor

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I do, mostly because I want to make sure I'm watching/playing something that is worth a damn.

16. MoonLightOwl25

MoonLightOwl25 PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽34.8
    No I don't really read the reviews for games or movies I tell if they're good just by playing or watching them

17. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I don't pay a huge amount of attention to reviews, especially if it's a series that I know a lot about and enjoy. If I'm not sure about watching or playing something, I typically look at reviews just to see if it would appeal to me or not. I don't take ratings into consideration too much, as everyone has different preferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.