1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Moonstruck-Mist, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    From start to finish, a story is entirely your own, even though it might not be your magnum opus. But that's not what I'm asking. In this thread, I must ask what's harder in a story for each of you. Do you find it easier to start a story? Or to end the story? If neither of those are hard for you, what about keeping the story on the trail that you had planned from the beginning?

Personally, it's much easier for me to end a story than to start one. At the end, I have an idea for who the character is and what they want, but starting out is much harder, even though I'm experienced in writing. It's just so hard for me to write an interesting and descriptive beginning.

So, I'll ask it again. Are you good at starting a story? Or at ending one? Do you find the story easy to keep up? Or is it something that you can't do without much thought?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I agree, starting a story is the hardest thing for me to do as well. Usually when I get the idea for a story, it's a scene somewhere in the middle, so I want to write that but I get stuck trying to write the lead-up to that moment.

Ending a story is simpler. Sometimes it's difficult finding the right words to make it a meaningful ending for the tone of the story I'm trying to write, but yeah. Starting a new story from scratch is really hard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Moonstruck-Mist likes this.
  3. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    In my opinion, starting is much easier. I’ve never finished a longfic before, but I’ve started plenty of them. I avoid writing endings first in case I screw over the plot before I even write half of it!

4. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I'm usually good at starting stories. I'm bad at ending them though, but that's only because I have a hard time writing the middle. I can think of endings before I even make it thalfway, but I have to be able to reach that part first.

Saraceaser, Wings and Moonstruck-Mist like this.
  5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I suck at starting stories. Especially when I have to establish worlds or settings. Endings are a lot easier for me. For individual chapters though, the opposite is true. I never seem to struggle much with figuring out how to start an individual chapter, but there have been so many times when I just can't seem to find a way to end the chapter without it seeming abrupt or out of place.

6. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Oh well it depends.
    For the first book of my series it was easy to write the beginning and end but getting to the end was hard.
    The second book of the series was easy to start, and I'm keeping on track my issue is when I get to the end I'm gonna struggle to write it not cos I don't know how I'm ending but because I do and I don't like it but the story of the final book doesn't work if this doesn't happen...ah...I have to kill my favourite character...expect me to cry in my status when I finally reach that point...

7. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    Just thought of an issue I always face with starting a story: I'll have five, or six rough drafts of the first chapter before I deem one acceptable, and even then the "acceptable" draft goes through some heavy-duty editing. Anyone else have a ridiculous amount of first chapters?

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I find that its easier to start a series than to end it. This is because of how I get story ideas and how I work through them. Usually when I get an idea, I build a world and characters around that idea or other ideas. I then love building off these ideas, but ideas aren't stories. I can take these ideas and apply them, i.e. the start of a story, but without further investment, i.e. a plot, they go no where. For me, creating a plot is often the hardest part of making a story. Also I'm a linear story writer so I like to start at the beginning then end at the end.

Not really. I'm more a one and done kind of guy and will spend hours on making it perfect the first time. That being said, they usually are never perfect, but I don't find myself haggling with scenes, just words.

9. Saraceaser

Elfea
    (Honedge)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.0
    Personally I love writing the start and find it the easiest thing, but I've always had a problem with coming up with a decent conclusion, whether it's for a story or for a research paper, I just can't ever seem to come up with a good way to write an ending. I think it's mainly due to the amount of details I love to add to my longer written works that I have trouble coming up with a way to tie everything nicely without leaving any loose ends; because of that, I end up rewriting the ending over and over again till I find one I at least decently like.

10. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I Am Mostly Okay With Ending And When Come To Starting, It Is Hard Because It's Set Up The Theme Of The Story. That's Why I Only Want To Edit 'The Memories' Once I FInish Write The First Version of The Official Published, Then Edited To Be Better In Terms Of Flow On The Story And Theme.

11. LuluRina

LuluRina Swimmer

(Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽294.5
    I'm usually pretty good at starting AND ending stories

Its in the middle I struggle with tbh

Like, I have an idea on where the story is headed, so I can write the beggining and end, but when it comes to the chapters linking the two, I struggle a whole lot more.

Although starting a story is slightly more difficult then ending one