1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Hello I am Storm, hello o3o

Discussion in 'Intro Lobby' started by Estioarem, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estioarem

Estioarem Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Hello , it has been a long time since i tried to actively spread awareness about my own art, beyond just posting it onto Deviantart

My Deviantart is here http://estioarem.deviantart.com/
    And I have a blog which I post doodles to here: http://scribblystorm.tumblr.com/

I have been told I have a very "scribbly" or "loose" style and I have even been told my art is not good because of this, I have had my art met with a lot of criticism on the internet in the past and it has been a major reason for my reticence regarding seeking feedback and awareness of my works

But now that I'm older I understand more about what constructive criticism is and that not everyone will like my art and that it's ok.

These days I have been trying my hardest to improve, I actually would like to employ many different techniques including a loose doodling style for character development specifically and for scene/storyboard composition

I believe a loose technique can be useful for many things, and I also think more refined and clean techniques are useful in their own way as well. I think all sorts of techniques are valid and shouldn't be discriminated against

Here is a sample of the things I've been working on most recently:

[​IMG]

I am primarily self taught through observation and practice methods such as gesture drawing for figures (people/animals)
    and I haven't had the opportunity to take art classes

I would be grateful for any feedback I receive ^_^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Iceixient likes this.
  2. Scrafty1

Scrafty1 Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Loose style is nice to have and it doesn't have to be like the rest of the artwork that is out here. I think your style is really unique and your sketchy lineart gives your pieces some dynamics and it's very gestural as well.
    If you can, try out shading because I think they will give depth to your pieces and make them pop out.

It's a shame that not a lot of people like your artwork but it's good that it didn't bother you and you continued with what you are doing so good job!
    Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing more!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DarkLightKnight

DarkLightKnight Dragon Tamer

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.4
    Your loose style is really great, and the art looks good. Whenever I draw, I try to make everything perfect, which really messes me up sometime. :D I wish I could draw as loose as you.

4. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    You're stuff are pretty good, darling! It doesn't matter if your style is loose or not! But most people are used to clean and tough lines that when they see sketchy work, they'll think you're lazy. :( I think your has an appeal that's quite adorable. You got the anatomy quite well, and I think that's what matters. I find it hard to give my works a messy look, so I highly applaud you!

May I suggest incorporating collor into your work? You already have this thing style that would look great when painted! And I'm not talking about the usual cell shading here. Imma talking about crazy colors, something that uses pallets that are not the usual color. Say, that Lefeon for example. It's shy, embarrassed. A usual color associated with discomfort is blue. You can use shades of blue, with accents of orange to really have this thing going, keep it messy, but have more feeling into it with color. Since you're already going out of the norms with your sketchy style, go out of the norms in coloring! Who says grass is green? Imma gonna make it purple to match my yellow sunset! XD

Good luck, darling!

5. Estioarem

Estioarem Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Ahh thanks so much! I am glad to hear you enjoy my work ^_^
    Ah these examples really are only rough doodles, 5 mins tops to each, my most recent work but they represent a lot of the learning I have done over the past year
    So with these character development sketches, I tend only to employ minimal effect (hence generally no shading) as they are primarily for drafting the character :3

Oh thanks so much! I think my loose style has mainly come from my habit of practicing with gesture drawings often with a sketchbook, trying to capture the basic "flow" of the subject quickly :3
    That learning has also translated into even my more intense paintings where I employ that "flow" as well
    Hehe I am not so good with explaining things but thank you so much! ^_^

Thanks so much I really appreciate it! Ah this warm welcome here has me excited haha xD
    Oh colours are really all over the place in real life, all around there are so many differences in colours, the direct lighting and ambient lighting, reflection and ah coloured shadows due to different coloured lighting sources from different angles, all sorts of neat colour effects can be found everywhere, it's fascinating! Absolutely colour relativity is so important to a painting,
    I have been studying it quite a lot and I hope to make many works employing interesting colour dynamics ^_^
    For these examples they are mainly drafts for early character development, so I have only tried to capture their general form so far :3

Ahh thanks everyone so much this is making me even more enthusiastic :3

6. Arbokness

Arbokness Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.0
    Personally, I think your art style is quite brilliant. That loose, sketchy style makes me feel like I can touch the character, like it's three dimensional, because I guess the sketchy style adds volume XD I'm not sure if I explained that well but I hope you get the idea. I'll be sure to check you out on DA and look at more of your art, because I think it's all great :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.