1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

How has 2019 treated you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    With only 10 days to go (at time of writing) until we cross over into 2020 - unless we all get wiped out by a meteor/aliens/politicians/something else/some horrifying combination of the aforementioned (delete as appropriate) anyway, and it's always possible - it's a good time to look back on what 2019 has brought us!

So, what has 2019 brought YOU? Have you had a good year? A bad one? Any events that stand out, or accomplishments you'd like to share? Did things go as you expected, or was this a year full of surprises? How has 2019 treated you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ChocoChicken likes this.
  2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    2019 is the final year of my adolescence, so it’s kind of fitting a lot of personal change happened. The first major event was transferring from my old High School. I was sick of the endless insults and petty comments I got for reporting bad behavior. While I still get the same treatment in public, at least I have the comfort of not being stuck with it for 5 days a week.

In June I drove up to a pride parade in Portland and wore a dress for the first time. Even though I got a lot of looks, it was nice to wear something different (one of the people on the parade floats actually took a picture of me in it).

In July I stayed with my grandparents while my parents were moving. It was nice to see them more and enjoy their ranch.

Due to hearing a lot of depressing philosophy, I had an existential crisis during August. The only thing that got me out of my head was a road trip I took at the same time. Thanks to this trip, I got to see several states for the first time (including the gorgeous state of Montana). I also got a bunch of memories which I won’t forget for a long time.

In November I came out as pansexual. After identifying as bi for three years, I realized the term describes me better. My Moms took the news well! Around the same time, I won member of the month on LV and became a moderator. Learning how XenForo works has been hard, but I’ve enjoyed this new position!

Compared to 2016 and 2017, this has been a great year for me. Sure I had some mental health issues halfway, but I think I’ll look back at the other parts fondly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,585.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Yeah, 2019 is so-so for me... On one hand, school was fun, especially when I hang around and chat with my barkada~! On the other hand, my home life isn't faring that well... I kinda have a love-hate relationship with everyone in the house, especially when they get angry over things I see are petty and they see as big and serious... However all-in-all, this year was fun~! It's also this year when I started going out with my barkada and I had a really great time!

4. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    2019 has been kinda stressful for me. I've had many moments where I've stressed about not being able to get a job, or even a real job interview. In the past I'd tried to tell myself that it was okay to not have a job because I should be focusing on my online classes (which my parents were paying for), but I'm getting close to getting my associates, and I don't want to keep leeching off of my parents after that, so I've been putting a lot of pressure on myself to get a job. This past year I've also slowly but surely started to not believe in the religion that I was raised in, so that's been kinda hard.
    I have hope for the coming year though. I'm finishing up my associates come Spring, and next summer I'm planning on moving in with three of my sisters. I still don't have any set plan of what to do with my life, but maybe a change of pace will do me some good. And though we're moving to a place that has a lot of people of the religious belief that I used to have, one of my sisters doesn't believe it either, so at least I'll have her around for moral support.

5. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    There are 19 asteroids around earth that can cause cataclysmic damage to the planet. We lost sight of 17 of them.

2019 has had its ups and downs for me, mostly having to do with school. During the beginning of the year, I had to drop a hard required course that I thought I was going to fail and now I have to take it next year. The spring time however was much fun as I got to do much research and present it as well. During the summer I came home and did classes in the near by community college which was the most fun I've had in higher education (besides taking astro courses). After that I had a hard fall working through several difficult classes. I'm a very calm and stable guy so I don't really have much in the way of conflicts that arise outside of education and work. Its been a productive year, but I find it hard to say that its been a good year.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  6. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Oh Wow... 2019 Is A Roller Coaster For Me.

I Am Embarking A Great Personal Growth Within Me As I Am Preparing To Take Another Internship Again After My First External Internship Failed This January As I Am Writing This.

I Am Changing My Whole Self, To Finally Slowly Overcoming My Ultimate Fear: The Harshness Of Reality, 10 Years After Running Away From It With My Imagination.

I Have A Chance To Expand My Network More. And A Rare Chance To Meet One Of The Three Scientists Who Created Cassini Mission Which I Called Them 'The Founding Fathers Of Cassini Mission' And Managed To Expand My Cassini Network.

So...Somehow I Think That...

Cassini Spacecraft Is Really Helping Me, In The Way That I Finally Have A Series Of Big Opportunities And Finally To Starting To See My True Potential Is Coming Out.

Of Course, I Will Never Forget My Dreamworld Universe. I Actually Restructured It Again Year Ago, After The First Restructure In 2013. I Restructured It To Be 'The Imagination World Based Of Reality' And Revel The Origin Of The Universe For The First Time After It Created 10 Years Ago In April 2010.

In Additional, I Become More Active In Discord That I Become A Admin On One Of A Pokémon-Related, Buizel-Fan Club And General Server! (Which If You Want To Join, I Can Send A Invite Link To You All!)

A Special Shoutout To @Gwoomy Again For Giving Me VIP As She(I Think...) Caught Me Off Guard When That Happen. Again, Thank You Gwoomy For Giving Me VIP!

What's Next For Me In 2020?
    New Course, More Self-Improvement And This Time In Dreamworld Universe, Every Uniends Are Batting Their Ultimate Fear Together Against The First Dark God, Created As The Fusion Of Everyone's Ultimate Fear.

And Of Course, The Road To Overcome My Ultimate Fear Is Just Started.

But Cassini Already Shown Me That I Can Overcome It: Since My Willpower To Overcome It Is The True, Ultimate Potential That Cassini Spacecraft See Within Me!

#6 Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  7. Faded Autumn

Mawile
    (Mawile)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,166.8
    Dawn Stone ★★★★
    2019 has been very eventful for me. I was in an interesting relationship with a girl from March through August. I was promoted from a part time position to a full time position at my current job with a small raise a few months ago, so that was awesome. I’ve started an online course in herbal medicine that’ll run through May, and so far it’s been super fun and exciting learning all the herbs and stuff. I’ve watched some of the best anime’s I’ve ever seen this year, and played a few new video games. And joining lake Valor has been nothing short of amazing.
    As I’m typing up this post right now I’m sipping hot thyme tea I brewed with fresh thyme and sweetened with organic honey. Looking out my window watching the unsteady rain and the occasional dance of a wind chime. My mind keeps drifting to how my life has changed over the years, and whether or not pieces of who I am now will survive the next decade.
    There was a lot I wanted to do this year that I didn’t get around to doing, like replaying Pokémon games and rereading warriors books. Part of me is sad because these hobbies have taken a back burner to work and study, but the wiser part of me keeps reminding me of a simple truth.... “ if you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you really don’t want to do something, you’ll find an excuse.”
    My first New Years resolution is to play more Pokémon and read more warriors. I know I can count on you guys to keep me on the right track ;) when I looked back on the current year, overall, I’d say it was pretty darn awesome.

8. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    2019 kissed my wife, took my job, and stole my car!!!!

In all seriousness, 2019 started well, had a rough middle, but finished well. The biggest trial of my life happened the March, but it was finally cleared up around August (a couple of users may know what this is, I'd personally not like to talk about it). Other than this event, I completed my first year of college, got my all-time favorite job delivering pizza, played a TON of great video games, and made a lot of new friends, but online and offline. It was a satisfactory year and I am hopeful for what 2020 will bring!

9. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Meh. 2017 was really good and not much happened in 2018, while 2019 was about the same.

I've started going full-on into college rather than doing college classes alongside being mainly a high school student. I'm used to everything with that I guess, so I don't really have much to say there. I guess there are only two really major things that happened to me this year, aside from me turning 18 which changed nothing honestly.

First thing is that I can drive now, which is kind of a double-edged sword. I like being able to go to weekly Smash tournaments at my own leisure, since a lot of my friends are there and before this I had to get my parents to drive me. But at the other side of that coin, the two minors in the house are now my responsibility, which absolutely SUCKS for reasons I don't think thoroughly explaining will describe properly. Like you guys have no idea. I have to drive these people to school and back now, which would be fine because they go to the same campus as I do, but they treat me like absolute dirt sometimes. One of them has striaght-up said to me "I can't wait until I can drive myself to school" in the thick of a tense argument, and the other one having very little sense of responsibility has lead to me having to drive much more than I would have to otherwise.

It would be fine if they didn't treat me this way, on top of me waking up TWO HOURS earlier than usual every weekday, waiting two hours doing nothing for them at a lounge at college, and waking up early and driving for an hour and a half every Friday / every time I don't have school and they do because my mom's job isn't close to their school anymore. All of this because I was born the older sibling and my mom changed jobs for my sister to have a chance at going to a school where the quickly changed her mind and stayed at this one that she hates. Sorry for getting rant-y there, but I'm just describing the bad parts of one of the bigger changes this year.

The other thing is that there's a foreign exchange student in my house now, who is one of the two minors that I have to drive around. He's a good person, even if we've had our bad incidents. A big example is that I've went to use the bathroom about six or seven times only to find he's taken a massive dump in the toilet and not flushed, which completely wakes me up if this happens at nighttime. He's stopped as of late but there are other things he's done like this, completely ridiculous honestly. Other than that though he's a good friend of mine now, so I'd say that's a good change.

That's about all that's really changed honestly. Learning how to drive is easily one of the worst things that's happened to me because of how unnecessary it feels and how it feels like I'm forced into changing a lot of things about my average day mainly for someone who I don't even think likes me in the first place. A lot more is gonna happen to me next year though since that'll most likely be the year I actually move out, this college I'm going to is only a 2-year one and I'll probably be transferring to a 4-year one. Either way I don't know what to think of 2019, not much happened and the one negative has made me unhappy countless times so I'd probably call it a bad year.

10. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,164.0
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    2019 has been an interesting (for lack of a decent adjective) year for me.

Some accomplishments on LV this year were getting MOTM in June, then being team leader for Team Moongeist for the summer scramble, which was my first one, being gifted with VIP, and just recently getting picked as a mod, as well as getting a few shinies here and there. Overall, it was a great year on LV.

I felt like I’ve improved so much in color guard, especially for rifle. Last year was my first year on rifle line and I’d rather not talk about my first season with it... but the next season, I felt a lot more comfortable with it. Now my coach said I was on sabre line for this winter guard season and I already have a perfect name for it: Lucina Zacian, the fifth Sword of Justice, Hero of Many Battles (or just Lucina for short).

Here’s just some observations that I’ve noticed about this year:
    -I’ve had a burnout of a few things this year, like Smash Bros and Wattpad. I’m saddened by this because I’ve been interested in these things for years.
    -I’ve tried to keep up with art things, like Inktober, the weekly art prompts we used to have, and a little art challenge I made up, but after a while I just can’t keep up. (I literally haven’t done anything from that art challenge since February, and I’ve had the tab open on my browser since then. On the other hand, I took a digital art class this semester and now I have some new techniques for digital drawing.
    -I haven’t been doing too good in school this semester. I’ve had too many late/missing assignments and my parents weren’t happy about it. Our report cards just came out yesterday and I got 3 B’s (and a D on my precalc midterm), which is bad by my parents’ standards. Hopefully I’ll do better next semester.

11. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I don't remember much from the beginning of this year, mainly because summer was the most eventful part of the year for me. I got a job working for Amazon which was incredibly stressful and exhausting all of the time to the point where I just felt like I wanted to leave the whole time I was there. But I managed to stick with it for a couple months and the pay was really nice so I should be all set going to college full time again until next summer. At the same time that was happening, my laptop started doing this weird thing were it would just shut off (usually right after trying to access the internet) and then go to the system bios if I tried to turn it on again within the next half hour or so. The next few weeks were spent with my laptop going back and forth between me and the repair shop who kept saying they fixed it without doing anything before they finally figured out what the problem was and told me it was something they couldn't fix so I ended up just having to get a new laptop altogether. And this was while Summer Scramble was going on, which I was both participating and hosting the weekly Arcade Invasions events (and was also supposed to host the trivia events, sorry to everyone who was looking forward to those). As you can imagine, this summer was extremely stressful for me with all of that going on at once.
    After all of that was finally over with, things started going much better for me. My new laptop has been great so far and I left my job to get back into school. I was able to get some fairly fun classes this past term (and got As in all but one of those classes, which I got a B in) and I've already signed up for classes to take next semester. In fact, if I get things set up right I think I should be able to finally get my Associate degree next year.
    So, in summary: the beginning of the year was apparently so forgettable that I don't remember it, Summer was extremely stressful and hard on me but the year's ending on a high note.

12. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    2019 has been interesting with its sad lows and marvelous highs.

At first, it was going well I got a job in a manufacturing plant though it was one of the lowest positions available it is still a job. My intention was to prove that I can work hard so I can get promoted quickly and start using my Industrial Engineering degree, which I got in December of 2018, as quickly as possible.

They did let me have an opportunity to use my degree for three months during which I worked on various projects, which was mostly time studies to figure out production output, but eventually, the work ran out and they put me back on the production line. I have remained that way ever since.

In October I have been promoted to another position that is still on the production line but with better pay.

But this is not where my story will end hopefully.

On a side note I have started a youtube channel and I am trying to learn animation as a part-time hobby (I have not done much with it though but with the new year comming I want to change that)

Vanillite likes this.
  13. Vanillite

Vanillite Cat Lady

PokéPoints:
    ₽139.4
    2019 was a really good year for me (knock on wood; Still got a few days left). I worked really hard and lost 30 pounds and changed my overall lifestyle: Eating healthier, exercising regularly, etc., and it's left me feeling a lot better about life overall. I've also returned to therapy (PSA: Everyone should go to therapy; Let's erase stigma about mental health :knife emoji: ) to help with my depression and anxiety and whatnot. It's really been a year of taking care of myself, I guess? And I'm proud of myself for that. It's not easy to take care of ourselves; It's so easy to put ourselves on the backburner and worry about others, our responsibilities, stresses, etc.

I also became a psychotherapist this year? So that's cool too.