1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Inanimate object Pokémon

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Sep 7, 2019.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,152.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Inanimate (nonliving) object Pokémon are a hit-or-miss with some people. What’s your opinion on them? Should there be more or less of them? What are some you do or don’t like?

I like the inanimate object Pokémon. I heard someone say that it takes more creativity to bring an inanimate object to life than say a plant or animal, and I couldn’t agree more. Now that’s not to say that animate object Pokémon aren’t creative, it just takes more thought to make a candle or a sandcastle into a living creature. Some of my favorites are the Litwick line, Honedge line, Chingling line, Vanillite line, Xurkitree, and Palossand. (I like most inanimate object Pokémon actually!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I expect them because Japanese mythology is filled to the brim with inanimate objects coming to life and becoming youkai.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Aside from the Voltorb line, I’m pretty fond of most inanimate object Pokémon. Most of them are expressive, interesting, and just fun to use. Here are a few of my favorites.

Dhelmise. I’m really not sure why this Pokémon gets more attention. It looks awesome, has solid stats (except speed), and an ability that gives it three STAB types. If you can look past how rare this Pokémon is, you can have an exceptional ghost/grass type.

Klefki. Somehow Gamefreak succeeded in giving a pair of keys personality. While it’s stats aren’t mind-blowing, Klefki can still be useful with prankster and a variety of status moves. I used one in my first Pokémon Moon playthrough and it was amazing.

Sigilyph has one of the coolest origins I’ve ever seen for a Pokémon. Apparently, they’re based on Nazca lines; a type of cave carving that have been found in the Peruvian desert.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    At first, I didn't really care for these types of Pokémon. But over time, with a lot of experimentation and using Pokémon I wouldn't normally use during challenge runs, they have grown on me and I started liking them more and more (especially after learning their Japanese origins in folktales and mythologies talking about objects being possessed by ghosts and such).

Some of my favorites include the Magnemite line, the Geodude line, the Roggenrola line, the Honedge line, the Vanillite line, Rotom, and Klefki. I'm probably missing others (Pokémon based off of food are my favorite ones), but I kind of have a special attachment to Magnemite in particular. It was a Pokémon I never really liked until I started using it for myself during a challenge run and was in need of an electric type. Little did I know it would become one of my Elite 4 team in Pokémon Emerald and defeat the Champion almost single-handedly. :D

5. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I've actually always liked inanimate object Pokémon. I even like the Voltorb line. Their design may be lazy, but it's in an original kind of way. And my fondness for inanimate object Pokémon means that I already absolutely love Polteageist. Just because they made a Pokémon out of something that many people wouldn't even imagine doesn't mean that they're being unoriginal and running out of ideas (in fact, coming up with an idea that many others wouldn't is the complete opposite of unoriginal).

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I often like the inanimate object Pokémon. The only time I don't like them is when the creativity is lazy, but that goes for all Pokémon not just inanimate object Pokémon. I love metagross and its just a slab of metal with a couple brains (at least I'm pretty sure). Recently while watching a trailer for sword and shield and I saw the tea pot Pokémon, I didn't mind it as much as I thought. For me if a Pokémon is inhabiting or animating a object I tend to like the Pokémon more.

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I've never really understood the complaint about inanimate object Pokémon being 'lazy' or 'unoriginal' or anything like that. It seems like it would take more effort to create a Pokémon based off of an object than an animal, considering that most of the work is already done for them in the case of some of the animal Pokémon. Seriously, there are some Pokémon based off of animals that barely look like they've been stylized or anything and just look like the animal they're based off of (*cough* Toucannon *cough*), yet the object Pokémon always seem to have a unique look to them rather than just being an object.