1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Nintendo Labo: Hit or Miss?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vigilance, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    So, Nintendo announced the release of something called 'Nintendo Labo' a couple days ago. Many thought it would be a mini-direct but were given this:

My initial thoughts were somewhere along the lines of:
    "uhhh, so people will pay for cardboard now too?"
    looks at the pile of amazon boxes in closet
    "we're back in business baby!"

Let me know what you guys think about it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Iopdev

Iopdev Dragonair Enthusiast

Ceto
    (Dragonair)
    Level 46
    PokéPoints:
    ₽143.5
    Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I think miss, cardboard breaks way too fast.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    I don't see the point of it like is this cardboard origami and if it is, Nintendo, why are you marketing it?

4. Iopdev

Iopdev Dragonair Enthusiast

Ceto
    (Dragonair)
    Level 46
    PokéPoints:
    ₽143.5
    Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    For real tho

5. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    It's an interesting idea, but I think it's a waste of money. Cardboard breaks far too easily, so I see it being a recurring cost. It's a miss

6. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It aint worth it, you make a wrong fold and the entire thing is bust. It also will break easily and how do you store this without it getting damaged? I get it is cheap to make but I can only see it backfire as kids don't have the patience to make those every time they wanna play a game, and parents aren't gonna take the damage to the bank every time the cardboard falls apart.

7. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I could see how this would appeal to, maybe, origami fans, or people who just like keeping busy... but as everyone else said, it seems like a waste of money.

8. Vigilance

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Imagine spilling any liquid on it! Poof! Your money is gone.

9. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I find the idea of this hilarious and I still can't believe this is really going to be a thing.

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Dang, I was going to make this topic and I missed my chance.

So, first off, I don't think anyone would have ever predicted or saw this coming. An idea like DIY cardboard modeling is not something one would expect from a video game company, but on the other hand, Nintendo plays by nobody's rules but its own, so the expectation here is irrelevant.

Second off, I want to know what goes on inside Nintendo's R&D department. Clearly someone said "I think this is a good and fun idea; let's roll with it", and I want to see how the creative process moves, as it progresses from the idea to the final product. I have nothing but speculation at this point, but it's something I so desperately want to learn. It's just so full of possibility that it makes me positively giddy.

As for whether or not Labo will do well? Who cares? The fact that Labo exists at all is bringing so many things to the forefront of attention, and I for one want to see what happens every step of the way. Indeed, I still have much to learn.

But while we're on the subject:

[​IMG]

11. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I think that at it's core it is an important element for the switch. There was a game theory a while back that explored the potential of the switch and I think that there are many elements of that at play here. I almost hope that it does well just to encourage growth in the switch.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  12. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    At the end of the day, Nintendo is doing what Nintendo have always done best: being a toymaker company. After all, isn't that what they started as, before specializing in gaming?

At first, I began to feel extremely pessimistic at the idea of something like this really taking off, especially given the price range. But then when I log into the Lego site (literally THE most iconic brand for kids) and see how much they're selling their stuff, Nintendo's price seems fairly reasonable in comparison given the functionality.

13. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I think it's bloody brilliant. Will it fail? Probably. But, as others have mentioned, this is NINTENDO we're talking about. Personally, if I had a Switch I'd go out and buy it, mainly because it just looks like so much fun.

And as a side-note, anyone who thought Wii Sports was a bad idea can go take their opinions back to the trash can where they (the opinions) belong; it was fun, enough said. /rant

14. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    It is a fun idea, but where are you going to store all those things? I don't have infinite space in my room.

15. smol kirboi

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽101.5
    its pretty cool
    but the fact that you could just make it at home seems kind of dumb

16. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    It is a good idea, but I see only one problem with this. It is made of cardboard. Making something like this out of material that can easily wear and tear would make consumers have to buy the product again. Who's bright idea was it to be made of something that can't survive a five-year-old anyway?

17. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    The idea's interesting, but not only does it look unnecessary but, yeah, they couldn't have picked a stronger material to make it out of?

18. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ha! I hear that. I loved Lego as a child, and to be frank I still do, but at some point deep into teenagerdom I stopped buying them, because the price point wasn't something I or my family could handle easily.

19. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    It seems as if good kids toys don't really come cheap anymore. u_u

20. Bossvelt

Bossvelt Camper

PokéPoints: