1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Please don't make me play it...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    "You should play Undertale! You'd love it!"
    "I know you'd like Persona 4 if you gave it a chance."
    "You have a PS4 and you haven't played The Last of Us yet?!"
    "Breath of the Wild will change your mind about open world games."

Many of us look to our friends and associates for recommendations about what to play when we're not sure about what to play next, or aren't sure if we'd enjoy a game or not. But sometimes, our friends and associates will look to us and tell us we NEED to play something, insisting that the game would be a perfect fit for us.

...and it isn't. Because we've either already looked at this game and decided it isn't for us, or played it and found that no, this is not a game we want to play. But oh, we simply MUST play it. Because reasons.

Have you ever found yourself in the unenviable position of being pressured into playing a video game that you absolutely, under any circumstances, do NOT want to play? Did you play the game anyway? Was it as bad as you feared? Worse? Or did you find yourself enjoying it despite yourself? How often do you find yourself playing games that are recommended to you by others?

...and yes, all of the above quotes are approximate paraphrases of recommendations thrown at me by people who wished me well but made me suffer mightily with those games.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,367.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Hmm tricky subject. In my case, kinda? Ended up being pricey too X_X

It's Divinity 2, I had a couple of friends that raved about it and I decided to try it out and it just didnt click with me in single player. Multiplayer helped a bit but I could never catch them online. Just kinda gave up on the game entirely after that...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I have a friend who I am fairly certain has an obsession with the Yakuza franchise. He constantly rambles about the games to the point of annoyance, so I have lost any interest in the series as a result.

4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    This story wasn’t a recommendation, but it is an example of being pressured into playing a game I disliked.

When I was in elementary school, I had a “friend” who was obsessed with the military. One day I was at his house and he asked if we could play a video game. His entire collection was gory first person shooters. Being the sensitive 8 year old I was, I tried to suggest doing something else. He insisted we play Call of Duty 3. Despite not wanting to do it, I played a co-op mission with him and hated every second of it. I found the controls frustrating and the violence excessive. Even a decade later, that experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Faded Autumn

Mawile
    (Mawile)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,166.8
    Dawn Stone ★★★★
    Not only games, but anime too. Just because one person likes it doesn’t mean everyone will, and yeah, the peer pressure can get super annoying quick...... having said that, I’ve experienced dozens of other awesome games, books, anime, and food because of that, so :D

6. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Minecraft.

Whether it be on Lake Valor or a multitude of social interactions, I have had a ton of people try to get me to play it. I do not think the game is bad or will be bad (I've never played), but my interest level will continue to be low until I have a pressing reason to try the game.

With that being said, I have been known to overly recommend games to people, so I'm sorry if I've pressured you into playing something that is bad T_T

7. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    The biggest one for me is cyberpunk.

That game was and will always be shit to me for reasons that would take tens of thousands of words to type out.

But the TLDR is some people who I didn't like but was forced into hanging out with in a friend group for several months until he was kicked out would not shut up about this game.

It's left a taste in my mouth and it is of blood from me biting my tongue holding back anger from this man.

So yea no thanks haha