1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 4 Pokéathlon

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Sheep, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Image credits to Bulbapedia

The Pokéathlon was a competition introduced in HeartGold and SoulSilver where you can play through various athletic-based minigames. What did you think of the Pokéathlon? What was your favorite minigame? How often did you play?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I absolutely loved them, I spend so much time playing them in my main game to get all records and that junk because it was so fun.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I thought they were a lot of fun! I could spend hours playing them tbh.

4. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    The running one was a pain. Otherwise, pretty fun. I wouldn’t mind bringing it back.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I actually enjoyed the Pokeathalon, though I never got a chance to fully develop time/resources into it when HGSS first came out.

6. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    The Pokeathalon was a lot of fun, more so even then contests in my opinion. I almost want some sort of side game that focuses, and fleshes out the competition some. I loved (and hated) all the absurd bonuses at the end as well, "the Pokémon who tried the most" or whatever the announcer came up with.
    They were especially fun if you could find a real person to compete with as well.

7. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I loved those minigames, but sometimes the bonus points after the competition seemed random for me.
    The Frisbee catching game is probably my favorite.

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I spend hours doing those little minigames. I had like 5 teams for them as well, and the rewards that you could buy were pretty dope as well.

9. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Yeah they were, it actually fixed probably the biggest issue the Gen 2 games had. It was always such a pain to get evolution stones there but with the Pokéathlon you could buy them with the points earned which made it much easier to get mons like Ninetales and Arcanine since the way you got the stones in the older games were very annoying.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Those are indeed the rewards I would buy the most :)

11. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I thought it was a pretty fun little feature. I only really played it when I was going after a specific prize, but they are fun games. I should go revisit it soon.

12. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    One of my favorite minigames ever! I thought it was super fun to participate in competitions and see other NPCs try to take home the prize. The rewards were definitely a plus, especially evolution stones. I'm actually pretty disappointed they haven't brought the pokeathlon to other games or really any other features of it.

13. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    They already stated that certain gimmicky mechanics or minigames of each generation won't be present in other games. Which is sad and stupid at the same time, if you ask me.

I think pokeathlon wasn't overall a bad minigame, but the physical stats of each mon were a complete mess and not exactly intuitive. (Aprijuices were a small fix to that matter, but the problem was already there)