1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokemon Lightning Yellow

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, May 10, 2022.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 5: Adventures in Animation

"Acting with Tena's troupe was so much fun!" Ash raved as the group got back on the road a day or two later. "Maybe I should act more often!"

"Yeah--you do have a knack for heroic roles!" Misty smiled as she thought back on the performance a few days before...

In Misty's memory, Ash--now in a Pecha Berry inspired ancient Wakunese costume, a boy in costume as an Arcanine gijinka, and a girl in costume as a Lucario gijinka--walked onto a stage as Misty's self in the memory, now wearing a majestic phoenix costume, elegantly jumped down before Ash and his co-stars. "Never have I seen such a strange group of travelers...may I ask where you're going?" Misty's self in the memory asked.

"We are on a great journey to subdue the demons in their island stronghold, and restore peace to Kanto." Ash explained. "If you would like to join me on this great quest, you are welcome."

The Misty in the memory smiled. "Gladly! My name is Fushi--I would be honored to join your cause."

The lights blinked over to Brock--now wearing a traditional green Wakunese storyteller's robe. "And so, the holy phoenix Fushi joined the party." the Brock in the memory narrated. "The four of them grew very close on their journey, but what adventures they had on the way to Demon Island are stories in themselves..."

"You're not too bad a narrator, either!" Ash complimenting Brock snapped Misty back to the present. "What's your secret to narrating well?"

"There is no big secret--just speak at a relaxed pace, vary your tone of voice to fit the action of the story, and avoid 'uh', 'er', 'um', and derivatives thereof." Brock explained. "So I just imagine that my siblings are listening in the audience, and tell the story in the same way I would tell it to them at home."

He turned his attention to the guidebook of Kanto. "Moving on...we're coming up on the town where the Rokom company makes their world famous drawing tablets."

Ash gasped in surprise. "I've always wanted one of those to draw comics with! But Mom always thought they were too expensive..."

"They are on the pricey side--but that's because they are quality products." Misty assured Ash. "Who knows? You might get to try one out if we take the factory tour!"

"Then let's go!" With that, Ash motioned for Misty and Brock to follow him down the path leading to the town...

---------

"...The Rokom company gets its name from the Wakunese name for Vulpix, which is Rokon, and 'computer'." a tour guide explained as she led a tour group down the factory's Hall of History, which detailed key moments in the company's history. "This is also why its early logo is a stylized Vulpix with its six tails in rainbow colors. While the Vulpix has since disappeared, the rainbow tails are an important part of the logo today."

She gestured to a room labeled "Interactive Testing Room" "Here is one of our interactive testing rooms for our guests to try out the latest Rokom products, and offer us their feedback. So if you've never tried out a Rokom tablet before, this is your chance to discover why Rokom is the world leader in digital art products. If you have used Rkom tablets before, this is your chance to see the newest generation of tablets before they are released to the public."

"Oh boy!" Ash led the charge into the room, excited to see the sleek gray and white tablets in action. "Don't forget to read any tutorials..." Misty discretely whispered to Ash over the chaos.

Ash nodded back as he approached a vacant tablet display, complete with a screen to see what he was drawing. "Okay...don't press the digital pen on the screen too hard, to erase a mistake, switch the pen to Erase mode, or use the 'clear' button to clear everything, to change colors, touch the pen inside the hole in the color row with the color you want..."

Inspired by Tintri posing cutely on the display, Ash located yellow on the color row, then carefully started sketching the outline of a Pikachu on the tablet's screen sensor. Every once in a while, he would look over at Misty drawing a comic-like beach scene, or Brock drawing a fantasy forest that looked like a painting, but focus on his drawing of his companion.

"Not bad!" the tower guide smiled as she watched the Pikachu portrait taking shape on Ash's screen. "If you're particularly proud of what you create here, and want to share it with the world, you can upload it to our Guest Gallery when you're done."

"I'll keep that in mind." Ash smiled as he kept working. "I've always wanted one of these to draw comics with..."

"These new tablets should easily handle a manga page." the guide assured Ash. "So once you're done with your Pika-portrait, give a comic a try!"

Ash nodded as he looked over his finished drawing on Tintri. "What do you think, bud?"

[Not bad for a first try!] Tintri smiled before hoping down to the display and pressing the 'Upload' button.

"Aw, you think my portrait of you is worthy enough to share with the world?" Ash smiled as he cleared the tablet's screen for another drawing once his upload was complete. "I wonder how you change the art style you're drawing in..."

"Tap 'Style' with the pen, then pick your art style." Brock replied before uploading his completed fantasy forest painting to the Guest Gallery."

Piqued, Ash found the Style menu at the top of the tablet's screen and tapped "Manga". "Now to see just how well these do at making a comic!"

"This is fun!" Misty agreed as she put the finishing touches on her beach scene. "I could draw with these all day!"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 6a: The Tale of the Amethyst Braviary (part 1)

"...and while we were there, we got to tour the Rokom factory!" Ash explained to the image of his beaming parents on a videophone screen. "It turns out that even the cheap Rokom tablets are nice! I even contributed a portrait of Tintri to their guest gallery, where they feature stuff visitors to the factory made."

"Well, if you want a Rokom tablet for your next birthday, Ash, I'll be happy to pay you for chores." Taran replied. "If it's not something you typically do, or a hard job, I'll pay extra."

"So, where you three headed now?" Delia asked.

"We're on a leisurely southward route to Vermilion..." Ash explained. "At the moment, we're headed towards Windstar City..."

"You may want to find a way around Saffron, if you can..." Delia cautioned as she checked a map of Kanto. "There's been worrying rumors of Team Rocket on the move there..."

"There's a tunnel that goes under Saffron, so we'll take that route and reach Vermilion that way, rather than cutting through Saffron to reach Vermilion." Brock assured Delia and Taran. "But we'll keep our eyes and ears open for Rocket activity as we travel."

"If you see something, say something!" Taran agreed.

Delia nodded in agreement. "With two capable Gym Leaders by your side, Ash, I think you're in good hands.

Ash nodded. "I love you guys--I'll check in again once we get to a town or city."

"Be safe, Ash--we love you too." Delia replied before the call ended.

Ash stretched as he watched Misty and Brock receive their teams from Nurse Joy. "So, what can you guys tell me about Windstar City?" he asked as the group departed the roadside Pokémon Center, and got back on the road.

Brock thumbed through his Kanto guidebook to reach the chapter on the city. "The city's main claim to fame is the Braviary Shrine, which is sacred to the Noble Spirit Amethyst Braviary, the Spirit of Natural Wisdom."

"Just like Tena said..." Misty remembered. "I know about Ruby Phoenix, Sapphire Dragon, and Emerald Raikou, but I can never remember the other five..."

"Okay, then--mythology and folklore lesson, since we have a ways to go before Windstar City." Brock began as he stopped to sling his guitar around him. "Some of the most iconic characters in Wakunese folklore are the Eight Spirits--eight legendary martial artists so powerful, that many believed them to be gods."

"Cool!" Ash gasped, images of martial artists dancing in his head as he listened to Brock check his tuning.

"While no one knows for sure if they were based on real people or not, there are a few common elements to their stories and their personalities as characters." Brock explained before playing a mysterious E minor chord to signal the transition from the real world to fantasy...

---------

"The leader of the Eight Spirits was Ruby Phoenix, the Spirit of Joy and Inspiration." Brock narrates as a young man that resembles an older Ash in a magnificent red and gold costume poses in front of flames. "He was said to be as good with a flute as he was with a sword, and his heart burned with the holy fire of courage." The young man plays a heroic phrase on an ornate flute before fading away.

"Next was Sapphire Dragon, the Spirit of Wisdom and Balance." Brock continues as a young woman in an ornate blue, cyan, and silver outfit with water-like designs that resembles Misty appears. "As a dragon-born, she knew that there was a time to attack, a time to defend, a time to charge forward with all your strength, and a time to retreat to fight another day. Many that saw her fight said that it resembled a dance, with a blade in each hand." The woman strikes a heroic pose with twinblades before a waterfall-like backdrop.

"TWO swords???" the real Misty gasps as the image of the woman and the waterfall fades away.

"Wouldn't all that firepower leave you vulnerable without a shield?" Ash asks.

"Not necessarily." Brock assures Ash and Misty as the woman and the waterfall backdrop reappear for a moment. "Twinblade users learn to defend with their blades as much as attack. That, and many twinblade styles emphasize agility, so they do have some measure of defense." The woman and the waterfall fade away over the guitar's D major chord.

With that, he continues narrating over his vaguely Wakunese melody. "The third Spirit, and Sapphire Dragon's closest confidant, was Emerald Raikou, the Spirit of Strength and Courage." A young man in a beautiful green, pale green, and gold outfit that resembles Brock poses against a forest background. "He was very much the scholar of the group, well versed in fine arts and martial arts alike." The man plays a relaxed melody on an ornate Wakunese harp for a moment. "But when he had to fight, he fought with the fury of a Raikou, whether with a blade or a bow." The man aims an ornate emerald decorated bow at a demon at this. "Those that saw his skill with a bow said he had never missed a shot." The man fires his shot at this, easily defeating the demon before the scene fades away.

"The fourth Spirit, and one of Ruby Phoenix's dearest friends, was Golden Delphox, the Spirit of Magical Cleverness." Brock continues as a blonde haired young woman in a beautiful yellow and orange costume strikes with a shiny golden ribbon before posing bravely against a shining gold background. "Wise as much as she was playful, she knew many different ways to turn the most well thought out plans on their heads. Battle to her was almost like a game, and she usually had something witty to say to her foe before striking them down with her ribbon of light." He lets that hang as the woman smiles, then strikes a foe in black, sending them flying.

"The fifth Spirit was Jade Beautifly, the Spirit of Happiness and Abundance." At this, a young brown haired lady wearing a beautiful pale green, lavender, and gold costume twirls beautifully before a backdrop of a field. "Never without a smile, she was a skilled dancer, delighting many with her performances." Brock explains. At this, a crowd appears in the field, cheering and clapping as the woman performs a beautiful dance with a fan. "But her dance was deadly to the forces of evil!" Just then, the woman spots a sneering warlord, and runs to deliver a colorful attack with her fan before the scene fades away.

"The sixth Spirit, and Jade Beautifly's closest companion, was Pearl Deerling, the Spirit of the Faithful Messenger." At this, a young black haired woman in a ornate purple, blue, and silver outfit appears against the backdrop of a moonlit road. "Ever vigilant against evil, she knew well how to deal with the spirit realm as much as the physical realm." Brock explains. "Her strategies were proven to work no matter where the battle was taking place." The woman knocks away two black armored figures, then casts a holy spell to banish an evil spirit before the scene fades away.

"The seventh Spirit was Amethyst Braviary, the Spirit of Natural Wisdom." Brock narrates as a young black haired woman in a purple outfit with gold trim and a flowery sash jumps into view behind the backdrop of a forest. "She knew well every plant and creature in the realm--which ones were safe to eat, and which ones were best for medicine. But her mixtures could harm as well as help--particularly with enchanting her own weapon--enchanted rings that returned to her after striking their targets." With that, the woman heaves a burning ring at a gaggle of evil spirits, sending them flying before she catches the burning ring.

"Finally, the eighth spirit was Garnet Mightyena, the Spirit of the Divine Guardian." Brock narrates as a young man with dull red hair in a deep red, orange, and gold outfit strikes a battle pose. "If the Deerling gave divine wisdom, the Mightyena was a divine warrior, ever ready to pass divine judgement against evil!" At this, the young man delivers a flurry of punches, sending some warriors in black flying. "But the Mightyena has a gentler side too. If someone was lost and alone, meeting Garnet Mightyena on the road was an auspicious sign indeed!"

---------

"The story goes in Windstar City that Amethyst Braviary once defended the city--then just a town--from the notorious warlord Nobunaga." Brock concluded as he finished his song with an E major flourish. "We'll likely learn more if we visit the shrine in town..."

"Sounds exciting!" Misty smiled.

"I've always wanted to hear stories of the real life Eight Spirits!" Ash smiled before leading the charge down the road...

3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 6b: The Tale of the Amethyst Braviary (part 2)

Later that afternoon, Ash gasped in awe as the group arrived at the Braviary Shrine in the heart of Windstar City. "Wow...it's beautiful!" Misty smiled as she washed her hands at the shrine's entrance.

"I'm glad you think so." one of the shrine's resident miko smiled as she arrived with a towel for Misty to dry her hands. "While it isn't known when the historical Amethyst Braviary lived, part of the Eight Spirits' enduring legend is their commitment to justice and peace, and judging evil wherever it may have presented itself."

The clanging of the shrine's sacred bells made Misty smile when she noticed Ash offering a prayer. "Asking Amethyst Braviary for luck on the way?"

"Not quite--I asked her for strength and courage as I face the remaining leaders of the League." Ash replied as he watched one of the other miko tie a slip of paper containing what he had prayed for to the sacred wishing tree.

Brock, meanwhile, was visiting when the shrine's chief priest. "As a traveling storyteller, I am interested in learning the story of how Amethyst Braviary protected this city from Nobunaga--is it okay for me to learn this tale?"

"Of course--it warms my heart to see the young carrying on the ancient tales of Arceus and his envoys, the Eight Spirits." the chief priest smiled. "There are many tales just about Amethyst Braviary--but in order to understand her courageous stand against Nobunaga, you have to understand how she, a foreigner, was able to enter Waku while Nobunaga isolated it from the rest of the world.

"Wait, Amethyst Braviary was not originally from Waku?" Ash gasped as he and Misty joined Brock in listening to the chief priest's story.

The chief priest nodded. "She was originally from the far away region of Paldea--but was multilingual in Wakunese and Kalosian. Her Paldean proved helpful in allowing her to move about Waku undetected. She also had help in the other foreign-born Spirit, Golden Delphox--who had dual Wakunese and Kalosian citizenship. This allowed her to enter and depart Waku freely, as Nobunaga actually had a fondess for Kalosian soap."

"Interesting..." Misty mused as the chief priest continued his story...

---------

In a land of the past, a blond haired woman in a gold and orange Wakunese robe carefully hides a black haired woman in an ornate purple, green, white and gold Wakunese robe in a trunk's large hidden compartment. "So on a day one of Nobunaga's requested shipments of Kalosian soap was due to begin its long journey to Waku, Golden Delphox hid Amethyst Braviary inside one of the trunks of soap." the chief priest explains via voiceover as the black haired woman is closed in, then her hidden compartment covered in bars of soap wrapped in beautiful wrappers. "Only Golden Delphox knew how to access the hidden compartment, so she made sure Amethyst Braviary was fed and cared for."

The scene fades to the ship arriving in a Wakunese harbor. After instructing Amethyst Braviary to be quiet, Golden Delphox presents the trunk of soap, along with several other boxes and trunks of soap, to the inspectors. "Luckily, Nobunaga's inspectors had no clue of the foreigner hidden within one of the trunks, and so Amethyst Braviary was able to enter Waku undetected. This was why she took the title we know her as today--if she had used her true Paldean name, she would've been thrown in the dungeon at best." the chief priest explains via voiceover.

"That makes sense." Ash muses via voiceover as Golden Delphox lets Amethyst Braviary out of the trunk once they are well away from the eyes of Nobunaga and his men.

The scene fades to Golden Delphox leading Amethyst Braviary to a familiar town. "After eluding Nobunaga's men at the harbor, Golden Delphox led Amethyst Braviary to what is today Windstar City--which was then known as Windstar Town." the chief priest explains as some other familiar men and women welcome Golden Delphox and Amethyst Braviary. "Amethyst Braviary was welcomed with open arms by the other spirits, and what was then the Seven Spirits became eight."

"But how did she save this place from Nobunaga?" Ash asks as in the scene of the past, Amethyst Braviary meets the other spirits somewhere in the town.

"For a time, Amethyst Braviary lived with the Eight Spirits in Windstar as one of their own." the chief priest explains as we see the Spirits going about their everyday routines. "But eventually, Nobunaga figured out that Amethyst Braviary had snuck inside Waku, and made plans to raze the city to the ground, in hopes of capturing Amethyst Braviary." the chief priest explains as we see a man in ornate Wakunese armor grimacing in anger.

In the next scene, Golden Delphox listens as a woman talks to her and the other spirits. "Fortunately, there were a wide network of resistance movements opposing Nobunaga." the chief priest explains. "So they knew of the danger Amethyst Braviary, the other Spirits, and the residents of Windstar were in long before Nobunaga made his march."

"And then?" Misty asks as Amethyst Braviary says something to the townsfolk, making them cheer.

"But Amethyst Braviary was not about to run away and hide." the chief priest replies as we see the Eight Spirits and all the townsfolk that can fight training for a major battle. "Just as the Braviary has the courage to withstand any foe, so did Amethyst Braviary stand firm against the one who brutally oppressed Waku.

We see scenes of the Spirits and the other fighters clobbering or sending Nobunaga and his men flying. "So when Nobunaga arrived in the town expecting to easily destroy it, he did not expect the Spirits and the others that could fight to meet him, ready to defend the town to the bitter end." the chief priest explains as Amethyst Braviary performs an elegant dance, sending Nobunaga flying into a tornado. "Led by Amethyst Braviary, Nobunaga lost many of his best fighters, leaving him vulnerable to his inevitable defeat." The townsfolk in the flashback cheer as Nobunaga and his few remaining troops flee, battered and beaten."

The scene fades to a man in majestic garb putting a medallion around Amethyst Braviary's neck. "Not long after this, Nobunaga was defeated, and a new emperor rose to the imperial throne--Divine Dragon--Champion Lance's distant ancestor." the chief priest explains. "Once he reopened Waku to foreign lands again, and rebuild what Nobunaga had destroyed, one of his first acts was to honor Amethyst Braviary and the other Spirits for their courageous deeds. He also ordered a shrine built in Windstar Town, in memory of Amethyst Braviary's heroic deed. The scene swirls back to the present as we see the shrine being built...

---------

"While the town has grown, and many generations of priests and miko have come and gone from this place, the shrine will remain here to keep Amethyst Braviary and her legacy alive." the chief priest concluded some time later.

"Wow..." Ash contemplated the story he had heard for a moment. "Are there other shrines and monuments to the other seven Spirits too?"

The chief priest nodded. "There are many more just in Kanto, and elsewhere in Waku. If you visit them as you travel, you may find other tales and lessons to guide you on your way to the League."

Ash smiled. "Maybe I should find out where a Ruby Phoenix shrine is next, and ask him to guide me on my road to Pokémon Master!"

Even the chief priest and the other miko couldn't resist laughing along with Misty and Brock. "With courage and resolve like that, I believe Arceus will lead you to that lofty goal--and more!"

4. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 7a: Seeking the Dragon Trio (part 1)

Misty roaring with laughter jolted Ash awake the next morning. Piqued, he tried to get a glimpse of what Misty was watching on her PokeNav, only to rear back at Misty howling with laughter again.

Some music from the PokeNav clued him in that the show had ended. "What were you watching?" he asked as he went to get dressed for the day.

"This really funny comedy anime called 'Dragon Trio'." Misty replied as she closed her anime app, set aside the PokeNav on the guest room's dresser, then climbed from bed. "Imagine what would happen if characters from Wakunese mythology rubbed shoulders with people, and you get 'Dragon Trio'. It's set in ancient times, but the city is based on a modern day city."

"...and I know exactly which modern day city that is--our next stop, Valleycross City." Brock explained as he too climbed from bed. "How far in are you? I know they just announced a Season 5, but I'm working on Season 3 at the moment..."

"I just watched one of the early parts of Season 2." Misty replied as she stashed her PokeNav in her bag. "Try not to spoil Season 3 or Season 4 for me!"

"Relax, I won't spoil anything unless you specifically want to be spoiled." Brock assured Misty.

"Sounds like something I may wanna watch!" Ash smiled as he admired himself in the mirror for a moment, set his cap on his head, then invited Tintri on his shoulder.

"It's clean for the most part--no worse than your average Unovan cartoon slapstick." Brock assured Ash. "If that kind of comedy's up your alley, 'Dragon Trio' would be perfect."

"Chun, the Red Dragon, is basically you as a girl." Misty smiled at a memory of the episode she had just seen as the group tidied up the guest room, then departed the Pokémon Center. "It's not unheard of for people to portray Chun as a boy on the cosplay scene."

"What channel is it on, or which streaming app is it on?" Ash smiled. "Just so I can start watching it later."

"The Magimation app." Misty replied. "All the animated stuff you want to watch for free!"

"Noted." Ash smiled before following his companions down the road...

---------

"Okay...this is Valleycross City." Brock began as the group arrived in a bustling city some time later. "To properly begin our 'Dragon Trio' walking tour, let's first start with the pavilion that inspired where Haku, Chun, and Hatsu call home. That's located in one of the local parks."

After waiting for the crossing sign to change to WALK, the group made their way across the street to a park, where a majestic traditional Wakunese pavilion stood in the central square. A sign depicting a green dragon girl gijinka stood by the pavilion. "This is it! This pavilion inspired our home." Ash read before reading some information about the pavilion, and how it inspired the house in 'Dragon Trio'. "Is there a replica of Haku, Chun, and Hatsu's house you can walk through?"

Some green text reading 'Want to see the house? Follow my footprints!' at the bottom of the sign got Ash's attention. "Guess there is a walk through attraction of the dragons' house..." he smiled as he admired the green trail of dragon footprints leading down a trail.

"Just opened two weeks ago--it'll be here through the fall to celebrate Season 5's premiere." Brock replied after consulting the guidebook. "You don't have to know very much about the show to enjoy walking through the house, but if you have seen the show, you'll appreciate all the little details and gags inside."

"Let's go see!" Misty led the way down the trail of green footprints. "I've wondered how they would make a walkthrough attraction based on the show work..."

---------

"Forgive the intrusion!" Ash called as he, Misty, Brock and Tintri arrived in the attraction's foyer, as if expecting the three dragon gijinkas to welcome them to the authentic looking Wakunese style house.

Misty, meanwhile, spotted a familiar prop crystal ball in the center of the room. "They thought of everything--even Haku's seeing crystal!"

"In show lore, the seeing crystal is how the dragons know what's going on in the world." Brock explained as he admired the glowing rainbow mist swirling inside the crystal ball, as well as the exquisite details in the wooden stand, just as it was in the TV show.

Ash, meanwhile, had discovered one of the bedrooms in the house. "This has to be Chun's bedroom..." he smiled as he admired all the red items scattered across the floor and on the prop furniture.

He noticed an open instrument case on a dresser in the room. "Well! At least one of the dragons plays an instrument..." he mused as he carefully stepped over the red blanket on a futon to get a closer look at what was inside the case. "Is that what a bansi looks like?"

"It is!" Misty recognized the prop instrument in the case. "Too bad it's just a prop, though..."

Ash smiled at the sign depicting a red dragon girl smiling cheekily by the flute case. "Sorry! This flute's just a prop...I will allow you to take a look at it, and appreciate my woodcarving skills (I worked hard on it, so be nice!)--Chun."

Misty smiled. "Sounds like something Chun would do, all right..." she smiled as she led the way across the hall into a well kept Wakunese bedroom with a variety of plants on the windowsills and green belongings and furniture. "This is Hatsu's room...they remembered the many flowers, bonsai trees and herbs she keeps on the windowsills."

Ash spotted another sign depicting the green dragon girl on one of the windowsills that looked out at the park. "Welcome to my room--please be mindful of the plants as you look around. You're welcome to water them, if you like..."

He admired a familiar green watering can on top of a dresser. "I'll leave watering these to Hatsu, and the attraction caretakers. I'd probably find a way to over water them!"

Brock peeked in the room moments later. "I see you two have seen Hatsu's and Chun's rooms...Haku's room is a little farther down the hall."

"As the head of the house, Haku likely gets the nicest bedroom!" Ash smiled as he followed Misty to the large third bedroom at the end of the hallway...

5. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 7b: Seeking the Dragon Trio (part 2)

"Wow..." Ash gasped as he glanced around the beautiful and spacious Wakunese bedroom at the end of the hallway. "Haku DOES get the nicest bedroom in the house!"

"Haku likes his room beautiful, and yet neat and organized." Misty explained as she admired the beaded curtains on the window looking out at the park.

"Welcome to my room--you are welcome to handle any of the items here, but please be careful with them, and return them to their place when you are finished." Brock read a sign depicting a familiar male white haired dragon gijinka in an ornate silver and blue costume in character.

"Nice Haku impression!" Misty smiled.

"Haku is a fairly easy mimic because he sounds very close to my natural voice." Brock explained as himself before slipping into character as Haku again. "You also have to keep in mind that Haku does not use any contractions, or slang."

Ash, meanwhile, admired a beautiful harp-like instrument on a stand near the window. "Interesting harp...I do remember seeing Haku holding it in the OP..."

"That is a vina--the Wakunese harp commonly associated with traditional theater." Brock explained. "In the world of 'Dragon Trio', it is the source of Haku's healing songs--but he can and he will use his song to attack if he has to."

"Usually, he only uses an attack song if Chun or Hatsu is in danger." Misty added as the group left the bedroom wing to explore the living area, the kitchen, and the backyard.

Ash couldn't help but smile at another sign with Chun on it adorning a bathroom. "Nuh-uh-uh! No peeking in here, or I'll tell Hatsu!"

The sound of water running and a male voice singing in a beautiful fantastic language from inside make him reconsider opening the door. "I'll let Haku take a shower in peace..."

"What you're hearing is actually a recorded loop of water and several of Haku's songs from the show, according to the behind the scenes special about this place." Brock explained. "This creates the illusion of Haku singing in the shower. He has twelve different songs he can 'sing', but the order he sings them in is different every time. So he has almost 500,000 unique ways of performing his shower setlist."

"That's actually pretty cool!" Ash smiled as he lead the way back into the house's foyer again. "Living room next, the kitchen, or the yard?"

"If you're not sure what part of the house to see next, you can ask the seeing crystal for a suggestion." an attraction attendant replied as she welcomed another group to the house."

Ash noticed the prop seeing crystal in the center of the foyer. "We've seen the bedrooms, so what part of the house should we see next?" he asked it.

He watched in amazement as an image of a kitchen appeared in the swirling rainbow mist. "Well, I guess we go see the kitchen next..."

"Very nice kitchen, at that..." Brock mused as the group walked into a kitchen with both traditional and modern Wakunese elements. "Modern items, that look like they could realistically be in the show's world..."

"I wonder if any of these appliances actually work?" Misty wondered as she admired the stovetop, the prep table, and a window looking out at the yard.

She smiled as she opened the refrigerator filled with props resembling the products seen in the show's world. "Well! They even remembered the Kabuki-Cola--Chun's favorite drink."

"Take what you like from the refrigerator, but don't touch the Kabuki-Cola--Chun will be mad if you do!" a sign depicting Hatsu on the refrigerator door cautioned.

"Point duly noted." Ash mused as he watched a shadow resembling Hatsu move about the kitchen area, humming a happy melody as the rice cooker, the stove, and the cutting board came to life, as if someone was present in the kitchen and cooking. "Wow! Hatsu is making breakfast--or lunch!"

"Hatsu is known to be an excellent cook." Misty remembered. "So it makes sense she be here in the kitchen." She let that hang as she watched the prop carrots being cut by the unseen dragon gijinka, and the wok on the stove come alive with a hiss, as if someone had placed some meat inside to cook.

"A running gag is that Hatsu only knows how to make fried rice, since that's usually what she is seen cooking in the show." Brock remembered as the group stepped out of the kitchen and into the house's backyard.

"Well, we know that Haku is taking a shower, and Hatsu is making breakfast--or lunch..." Misty mused as she admired the exquisite flower and herb garden near the entrance leading to the kitchen. So what is Chun doing as we're touring the house?"

A rustle in the bushes snapped Ash to attention, but when he and Tintri turned to look, nothing was there. A young female giggle clued him in as to what was happening. "I see--Chun wants to play hide and go seek, or something."

When he checked the bush that had rustled, Chun's voice greeted him from the leaves. "Nope! I'm not here! Keep looking if you wanna find me!"

"You're on!" Ash challenged the voice, before looking in the hollow of a prop tree.

"Not here either!" Chun's voice giggled from inside the hollow. "Although I am just the right size to fit in here..."

[Wonder if the animatronic is in an obvious place, or if it can change its hiding place every time...] Tintri mused.

According to the attraction guide, the Chun animatronic can change its hiding place every time you play with her--and she will remember you if you play more than once." Brock replied as Ash check another bush, only for the young red dragon gijinka to tell him she wasn't there...

#45 Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  6. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 8: Beneath the Radiant Golden City

"Getting to see Valleycross City and its 'Dragon Trio' connections was fun!" Ash smiled as the group got back on the road a few days later. "I'll have to show Mom and Dad the exhibit of the dragons' house..."

"It'll be up for a while, so you may have another chance to tour the house again." Brock assured Ash before turning business-like again. "We're coming up on the Saffron Tunnel...so we should reach Vermilion a few days after that, barring any emergencies.

"Saffron is a big city...so how do you dig something that fits below it?" Misty wondered.

"You enlist the Digletts and Dugtrios that live in the tunnel nearby Vermilion." Brock explained. "Apparently they felt sorry for the people of Saffron, and dug a series of tunnels to allow them to escape Saffron in any direction--and allow travelers to go around the city and not have to deal with the Rockets."

"But what would the Rockets want in Saffron?" Misty wondered.

"Saffron's where Silph Co. is..." Ash remembered. "Maybe they want something that Silph is building..."

"Keep in mind that what I'm about to tell you two is rumor, and hasn't been confirmed or denied by any official source." Brock cautioned before pulling up a NewsNav alert he had set for Saffron City and Silph Co. "The Rockets my be interested in Silph Co. because they are supposedly developing a powerful Poké Ball that can catch anything without fail--including Legendaries."

"That makes sense--then the Rockets would go after any Pokémon they wanted, and no one could stop them." Misty mused. "What I would give to get inside Saffron, and run the Rockets out of town!"

"Me too!" Ash agreed as the group approached an unmarked tunnel. The only clue to where the tunnel led was a sign that said "VERMILION CITY--THIS WAY"

"What is there to do in Saffron once we kick the Rockets out of there?" Misty wondered as the group made their way inside the long tunnel.

"They would likely scale back or cancel the tours of the Silph Tower once the Rockets are shooed out of town..." Brock mused. "Aside from Silph Tower and Saffron Gym, there's Dojotown--a district of historic dojos, the world famous Autumn Leaf District--an anime and gamer's paradise..."

"I've always wanted to see the Autumn Leaf District!" Ash gasped, stars in his eyes as he and Tintri pictured anime characters and Nintendo consoles from all eras.

"If you're interested in a unique and colorful kind of theater, the Jewel Revue--a world famous all girl company, has their main theater in Saffron." Brock went on, showing Ash and Misty a picture of hundreds of girls in colorful costumes dancing on a shining staircase.

"So basically what would happen if we turned 'Peter Pan' up to 11..." Misty smiled as she admired the dancing girls.

"It would be weird seeing girls playing all the parts at first, but it would be fun to see one of their shows once we kick the Rockets out." Ash smiled.

"If they can't perform in Saffron, they have theaters all across Waku." Brock assured Ash. "Last I heard, the Diamond Troupe--the lead troupe that performs in Saffron--is safe. They are staying with the Emerald Troupe in neighboring Celadon for the time being."

"Just how many troupes does the Jewel Revue have?" Ash wondered. "Do the troupes specialize in a show type, or do all of them perform everything?"

"There's currently ten troupes, and they all perform everything." Misty replied. "From what I've heard on TV, they'll perform everything from fairy tales, folktales, and mythology, stories from books, Western musicals and movies, and even TV show and video game adaptations!"

"Hm..." Ash mused, picturing Misty playing the role of Link and Serena in the role of Zelda in his mind. "An all-girl version of Zelda or an RPG actually sounds cool!"

He glanced over at Brock's map of Kanto. "What's in Celadon, besides their huge shopping district?"

"The headquarters of Circle Phoenix--creators of Final Fantasy, Dragonite Quest, and many many more iconic RPGs--is in Celadon." Brock began. "In addition to the massive shopping district, there's also a lot of public parks and gardens..."

"Relax, I won't make you carry ninety billion packages..." Misty assured the boys. "Give me a budget, and I will stick to it!"

"We'll hold you to that, then..." Brock smiled.

"Are people allowed in Circle Phoenix headquarters?" Ash wondered. "I'd want Elder Pine to autograph my copy of Final Fantasy IV!"

"There are tours, but you have to reserve a spot in advance." Brock explained. "That, and there are places the public isn't allowed to go--so you may not get to see Elder Pine working his musical magic."

"I've always wondered why major gaming figures use a nickname in public as opposed to their real names..." Misty mused as she admired the puddles of light on the sides of the long tunnel.

"A couple of reasons--a semblance of privacy, and a tradition that dates back to the early days of gaming." Brock explained. "Back in the 80's it was not not unheard of for rival companies to lure away a top composer, artist, or programmer to work for their rivals--so to prevent this from happening, great designers, programmers, artists, composers, and other staff will often adopt a nickname similar to a martial title as opposed to their real names. Even the lowliest of interns will do this. So this is why we have master RPG composer Elder Pine, Mario and Zelda mastermind True Palace, and up and coming Zelda designer Green Marsh--who is in charge of making the dungeons for the upcoming Zelda game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time".

"Cool!" Ash smiled. "Maybe once we find a town to stop at, I should track down the new issue of Gaming Monthly for any new info on the new game!"

7. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 8: Beneath the Radiant Golden City

"Getting to see Valleycross City and its 'Dragon Trio' connections was fun!" Ash smiled as the group got back on the road a few days later. "I'll have to show Mom and Dad the exhibit of the dragons' house..."

"It'll be up for a while, so you may have another chance to tour the house again." Brock assured Ash before turning business-like again. "We're coming up on the Saffron Tunnel...so we should reach Vermilion a few days after that, barring any emergencies."

"Saffron is a big city...so how do you dig something that fits below it?" Misty wondered.

"You enlist the Digletts and Dugtrios that live in the tunnel nearby Vermilion." Brock explained. "Apparently they felt sorry for the people of Saffron, and dug a series of tunnels to allow them to escape Saffron in any direction--and allow travelers to go around the city and not have to deal with the Rockets."

"But what would the Rockets want in Saffron?" Misty wondered.

"Saffron's where Silph Co. is..." Ash remembered. "Maybe they want something that Silph is building..."

"Keep in mind that what I'm about to tell you two is rumor, and hasn't been confirmed or denied by any official source." Brock cautioned before pulling up a NewsNav alert he had set for Saffron City and Silph Co. "The Rockets may be interested in Silph Co. because they are supposedly developing a powerful Poké Ball that can catch anything without fail--including Legendaries."

"That makes sense--then the Rockets would go after any Pokémon they wanted, and no one could stop them." Misty mused. "What I would give to get inside Saffron, and run the Rockets out of town!"

"Me too!" Ash agreed as the group approached an unmarked tunnel. The only clue to where the tunnel led was a sign that said "VERMILION CITY--THIS WAY"

"What is there to do in Saffron once we kick the Rockets out of there?" Misty wondered as the group made their way inside the long tunnel.

"They would likely scale back or cancel the tours of the Silph Tower once the Rockets are shooed out of town..." Brock mused. "Aside from Silph Tower and Saffron Gym, there's Dojotown--a district of historic dojos, the world famous Autumn Leaf District--an anime and gamer's paradise..."

"I've always wanted to see the Autumn Leaf District!" Ash gasped, stars in his eyes as he and Tintri pictured anime characters and Nintendo consoles from all eras.

"If you're interested in a unique and colorful kind of theater, the Jewel Revue--a world famous all girl company, has their main theater in Saffron." Brock went on, showing Ash and Misty a picture of hundreds of girls in colorful costumes dancing on a shining staircase.

"So basically what would happen if we turned 'Peter Pan' up to 11..." Misty smiled as she admired the dancing girls.

"It would be weird seeing girls playing all the parts at first, but it would be fun to see one of their shows once we kick the Rockets out." Ash smiled.

"If they can't perform in Saffron, they have theaters all across Waku." Brock assured Ash. "Last I heard, the Diamond Troupe--the lead troupe that performs in Saffron--is safe. They are staying with the Emerald Troupe in neighboring Celadon for the time being."

"Just how many troupes does the Jewel Revue have?" Ash wondered. "Do the troupes specialize in a show type, or do all of them perform everything?"

"There's currently ten troupes, and they all perform everything." Misty replied. "From what I've heard on TV, they'll perform everything from fairy tales, folktales, and mythology, stories from books, Western musicals and movies, and even TV show and video game adaptations!"

"Hm..." Ash mused, picturing Misty playing the role of Link and Serena in the role of Zelda in his mind. "An all-girl version of Zelda or an RPG actually sounds cool!"

He glanced over at Brock's map of Kanto. "What's in Celadon, besides their huge shopping district?"

"The headquarters of Circle Phoenix--creators of Final Fantasy, Dragonite Quest, and many many more iconic RPGs--is in Celadon." Brock began. "In addition to the massive shopping district, there's also a lot of public parks and gardens..."

"Relax, I won't make you carry ninety billion packages..." Misty assured the boys. "Give me a budget, and I will stick to it!"

"We'll hold you to that, then..." Brock smiled.

"Are people allowed in Circle Phoenix headquarters?" Ash wondered. "I'd want Elder Pine to autograph my copy of Final Fantasy IV!"

"There are tours, but you have to reserve a spot in advance." Brock explained. "That, and there are places the public isn't allowed to go--so you may not get to see Elder Pine working his musical magic."

"I've always wondered why major gaming figures use a nickname in public as opposed to their real names..." Misty mused as she admired the puddles of light on the sides of the long tunnel.

"A couple of reasons--a semblance of privacy, and a tradition that dates back to the early days of gaming." Brock explained. "Back in the 80's it was not not unheard of for rival companies to lure away a top composer, artist, or programmer to work for their rivals--so to prevent this from happening, great designers, programmers, artists, composers, and other staff will often adopt a nickname similar to a martial title as opposed to their real names. Even the lowliest of interns will do this. So this is why we have master RPG composer Elder Pine, Mario and Zelda mastermind True Palace, and up and coming Zelda designer Green Marsh--who is in charge of making the dungeons for the upcoming Zelda game "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time".

"Cool!" Ash smiled. "Maybe once we find a town to stop at, I should track down the new issue of Gaming Monthly for any new info on the new game!"

8. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 9a: Seven Nights of Fantasy (part 1)

"...so after we went under Saffron City, we finally made it to River Cape City." Ash explained to his parents on the videophone screen.

"That should be fun!" Delia smiled. "There's a museum dedicated to Kouji-nya and his creator there, if you want to learn about Kouji-nya's world and history..."

"I may pick up what volumes of "Kouji-nya" I don't have just yet." Ash smiled at a memory of the comical adventures of the wandering Meowth samurai. "What else is there to see?"

"There's a lot of ancient temples in that area..." Taran suggested. "If you only get to see one of them, you need to see the Temple of the Moon. The Temple of the Sun is in Saffron, so it's not safe to see that right now. I can't remember where in Kanto the Temple of the Stars is at the moment..."

A sign labeled "Fantasy Festival Starts Today!" got Ash's attention. "Say...do you know where my Final Fantasy red mage costume from last Halloween got to?"

"It should be in the same closet your other costumes are..." Delia replied. "Want me to send it over?"

Ash nodded. "There's a fantasy festival starting today, so I wanted to get in on the fun with some cosplay!"

Over by another phone, Misty noticed the sign as well. "Fantasy Festival begins today...where's my magic knight costume I wore to WaveCon?"

"If you'll wait there a second, I'll look through your cosplay closet in your room and find it." Daisy assured Misty.

On a third phone, Brock also noticed the sign. "Forest, Terra--can you two look through my costume closet and find that blue, red, and gold minstrel costume I wore to JewelCon earlier this year?"

"Sure!" a young boy with similar to Brock smiled. "Is there a con going on where you are?"

"Not a con per se, but a festival celebrating al aspects of fantasy." Brock explained. "And no festival of fantasy is complete without a wandering minstrel, right?"

Cheers came from the phone in reply. "Once we find that costume, I'll send it over to you, okay?" Flint assured Brock.

After the group had said their goodbyes and thanks to their families, Ash hurried over to the Pokémon Center's item transfer machine to find a beautiful red, white and gold red mage's costume, with the white plumed hat to match. "I have mine!"

As Ash hurried off to change into costume, an elegant set of blue, white, and gold costume fantasy armor was next to arrive. "We should find out if there's a masquerade as part of the festivities..." Misty suggested as a familiar blue, deep red, and gold minstrel costume arrived in the item transfer for Brock to claim.

"If there is a masquerade, I'll also look into skit rules." Brock replied as he claimed his costume. "Once we know what the rules for a skit are, we'll brainstorm a Final Fantasy themed skit."

---------

"Now then..." Brock began as he met Ash and Misty in a conference room some time later. "The festival begins tonight at 5, and there is a nightly masquerade as part of the festivities for each of the seven nights. We are signed up for Night 4 of the festival, in the comedy division."

"Okay, so something that gently pokes fun at Final Fantasy itself?" Misty suggested.

"We do have a theme to work with in planning our script--'Fortune in Unexpected Places'." Brock replied. "Skits need at least two people, but no more than ten people, the skit should be around 8 to 10 minutes, not counting laugh time, keep the language PG, and respectful of all participants, you can't reference other franchises in your jokes, but you can reference the game, show or book your characters are from, or the series as a whole, any props need to be provided yourself--although festival staff will provide furniture and large items if you let them know in advance, any music must be played live or recorded--staff won't play the music for you, put some effort into your script--don't just tell a few jokes and then dance--that's better suited to the Music and Dance division, and when in doubt about something in your script, have the staff review it, or leave it out altogether..."

"Fortune in unexpected places..." Misty mused. "If we can find one of those hatching Chocobo dolls, we could theme our script to our characters trying--and hilariously failing--to take care of a baby Chocobo."

"We'd need to find a way to have the toy egg hatch on cue." Brock interjected. "It can take at least a couple of hours for the hatching doll to trigger the hatching sequence, and then another 20 minutes for it to hatch--and once it hatches, it can't go back in the egg, so we can't reset for rehearsals."

Misty thought for a moment--Brock did have a point. "We could skip over the hatching part and say the baby Chocobo hatched already..."

"That solves one problem, but the doll has a mind of its own, and may not respond to what we want it to do..." Ash reminded Misty.

"This could be the source of the humor in our script--we can improvise based on what the toy does!" Misty smiled. "So we don't need to write that much!"

"Let me ask the staff if improv is allowed first." Brock began as he located a PC and started typing an e-mail. "If Improv is allowed, we can go ahead with this idea--if not, we'll have to think of another idea for our script." He let that hang as he continued to type...

9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 9b: Seven Nights of Fantasy (part 2)

"Okay..." Brock began as he opened a notebook to a clean page and headed it "Masquerade Skit Ideas" followed by three columns. "Here's how this brainstorming session for our skit will work--the column with the plus is an idea or concept that we all like, and could feasibly fit into a 'Final Fantasy' world. The blank column are 'maybe' ideas--ideas that sound good, but we have a few lingering questions or concerns about--maybe it's not able to fit in a 'Final Fantasy' setting, or it may require something that may not work in the time or space we have, or it may not comply with the skit rules. The column with the minus are ideas we all know we don't want to do--it's not interesting enough, it may have been done a million times before, it doesn't comply with the skit rules, and so on. Once we have an idea we like, we can start ironing out the script."

"Our roles are a red mage, a magic knight, and a minstrel..." Misty mused. "We also have a theme for our script--'Fortune in Unexpected Places'."

"Do we still want to do that baby Chocobo idea?" Ash wondered.

"While we are allowed to improv, the hatching Chocobo toy would be too much hassle." Brock replied as he wrote 'hatching a Chocobo (too much hassle)' in the minus column.

"Let's think about what our classes are able to do--and not do--for a moment..." Misty suggested. "What are some aspects of them we can riff on, and still fit the theme?"

"Red mage finds something that can allow him to tap into the most powerful black and white magic, but he can't control it, and hilarity ensues?" Ash suggested.

"That's a good idea--but what would the red mage find, and would he still gain a benefit at the end?" Brock asked as he put Ash's idea in the blank column. "Let's put that idea in the 'maybe' column for now..."

"You're a minstrel--we have to work in the 'You spoony bard!' gag in somehow..." Misty smiled.

"Yeah--only for the minstrel to prove he is hardly a spoony bard!" Ash agreed. "Preferably by saving his party members' skins!"

"I like that!" Brock smiled as he wrote "Bard proves he is not spoony" in the plus column. "If we can't think of anything better, we'll come back to this idea. I could use my guitar as my instrument."

"The magic knight in many games often can't be hit by magic--so when I volunteer to be a training target, not even Meteor and Ultima can hit me!" Misty suggests.

"That would be hilarious." Brock smiled as he pictured Ash as a red mage casting Ultima, only for Misty as a magic knight to be unharmed from the powerful spell.

He wrote down "Red mage discovers magic knight can't be hit by magic" in the plus column. "My only question is, how would that tie back into the theme?"

"We find a powerful item in a dungeon somewhere, and it turns out to save our skins against a boss?" Ash suggested.

"That's been done, unfortunately..." Brock sighed as he wrote Ash's idea in the minus column. "Unless you had a unique and funny twist on it..."

"Let's come back to Chocobos for a second--what if we were trying to catch a Chocobo?" Misty suggested. "Or we've already caught the Chocobo, and the next step is getting it to listen to us?

"Catching a Chocobo we could probably do--your standard Chocobo plushie is easy to find." Brock replied. "Taming a Chocobo would be harder--where would we find a ridable prop to stand in for a Chocobo?"

"Mina in a costume would look silly..." Ash agreed, stifling a giggle as he pictured his Pidgeotto in costume as a Chocobo.

Once sure Ash and Misty had no more ideas, Brock studied the list in the plus column. "Are we agreed on the 'bard proves he is not spoony' idea, or should we go with one of the others we liked?"

"I actually have a bit of a plot for the spoony bard idea..." Misty explained. "You meet us both, and then tell us, in song, that all the townsfolk think you're good for is being a spoony bard. We tell you that's not true, and in the middle of our counseling session, we learn that a dragon is headed for that town--and it's the minstrel's song that allows us to win!"

"That works, and it fits the theme--no one expects the bard to be the hero in 90% of fantasy settings." Brock agreed.

He turned to Misty. "Since you suggested the plot, will you write the script?"

"Sure!" Misty smiled before settling before a PC. "While I'm writing the script, you can be writing the songs, while Ash checks over my script for spelling and grammar."

"Leave it to me!" Ash smiled. "I may not be an English teacher, but I can at least see if the script is readable and the dialogue sounds natural..."

He grinned at Brock. "..and that the songs sound natural too."

"Relax, I'm fairly confident in my range..." Brock assured Ash. "I would not write a song in a range I couldn't hit. If I'm writing a song for someone else to sing, I keep in mind their range too. "That, and I also need to remember that these songs should be playable on guitar." He let that hang as he found his guitar and started tuning up for the impending practice session...

#49 Jul 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  10. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 9c: Seven Nights of Fantasy (part 3)

"All ready, Brock?" Ash asked as he arrived in a practice room in costume.

"Good thing you picked a room with a piano...TuneNav would be hard to hear over all the festival noise." Brock replied as he arrived in costume, fine tuning his high E string all the while.

"Even better if it was a digital piano!" Misty agreed as she arrived in costume. "Then you don't have to hire somebody to tune it!"

Ash, meanwhile, explained to his Pikachu what was about to happen. "We're gonna practice our skit for the masquerade in a few days, and we're going to time it. The rules say a skit can't be longer than ten minutes, so if it's too long, we'll go back and see what we can cut or rework until it's ten minutes or less. That number does include laugh time."

[Okay!] Tintri replied as he found the TimeNav app on Ash's PokeNav, opened it, and tapped the stopwatch tab. [Timer is ready to go, so positions, please!]

Once the group was in position, Tintri called. [Timer's starting in three...two...one!]

He flashed a thumbs up to Misty to signal that the clock was running. "One crystal down--seven more to go!" Misty smiled as she arrived with Ash in the stage area.

"They say that undead fear the light, but they don't like fire either!" Ash agreed. "That lich was easy with a few Firas to the face!"

Even Tintri couldn't help giggling at the line as Brock started playing a soft melody to create the illusion his character was some distance away. "Hey, look! A minstrel!" Misty called, pointing out Brock as he arrived in the stage area, playing a relaxed melody all the while.

"Maybe he knows of some rumors, or a clue in one of his songs!" Ash suggested before waving in Brock's direction. "Good day, sir minstrel! Where might you be bound?"

"Perhaps you are on your way to the Phoenix and Pearl, of Mitra town?" Misty asked.

Brock stopped his song at this point. "I am in fact headed to Mitra, Sir Mage and Lady Knight. You two look to be adventurers..."

"What rumors have you heard in your rambles?" Misty asked. "We are seeking the sacred Crystals, in hopes of fulfilling the Prophecy of the Warriors of Light..."

"But you are but two, when the prophecy specifically mentions four Warriors of Light..." Brock interjected over an E minor chord.

"So what's stopping you from joining us, as number 3?" Ash asked.

Brock sighed in feigned sadness before starting a mysterious, yet sad melody. As much as I long to be known as a hero,

And have my adventures told of and sung,

What good is a song against a monster?

Ere long the bell of my defeat has rung...

'You spoony bard!' they mock me,

'You spoony bard!' again.

Is all I'm good for a ballad,

If my party falls, what happens then?

Misty motioned for Brock to stop his song. "That is a fair point--you know a reviving song, right?"

"Yes..." Brock replied.

"And you know how to sing the elements, channeling your song into magic?" Ash asked.

"Yes..." Brock replied, his character's mood noticeably happier. "Maybe I do have the potential to use my song to fulfill the prophecy--so maybe I will join your cause!"

Tintri cued the Final Fantasy 4 new party member jingle in the background, aware that the time had passed six minutes. "As far as what rumors I have heard, I hear that an inventor named Cid has claimed to have invented a ship that flies in the air..."

"A ship that flies through the air as easily as sailing through water?" Misty gasped. "THAT I have to see?"

"If we ever find this Cid fellow, I want to see this flying ship for myself!" Ash agreed.

About then, the TimeNav alarm went off. [Time's up!] Tintri announced. [Maybe you guys need to rethink your plot a bit...]

"Yeah...we didn't consider the runtime of our idea..." Brock admitted.

An idea came to him. "What if we reworked the script to be talking about rumors, and gently poke fun at the Final Fantasy universe itself via tavern and roadside rumors?"

"Yeah--save our spoony bard idea for when we have a longer max runtime..." Misty agreed. "We can keep everything up to when you meet our characters on the road--or have your character already with us?"

"Let's just throw out our script and start over." Ash agreed. "We can keep the Cid and airship rumor in, though."

Tintri offered Ash his PokeNav. [Let's go back to the drawing board....]

---------

"Okay...since the original NES classic--or an expanded version of that--and 4 are the games Ash is familiar with, what are some rumors that could fit in a world like that?" Brock asked as he prepared to type rumor ideas for the group's new skit.

"The Cid and airship rumor is staying." Misty assured Brock, spurring him to type 'an inventor named Cid has claimed to have invented a ship that flies in the air."

"All right--put that one as the first one." Brock smiled as he set his idea document to autosave every ten minutes. "What other rumors could feasibly be Final Fantasy-ified?"

"A pack of Mightyenas have been prowling about at night." Ash suggested. "Mightyenas come in several different flavors in all the Final Fantasy games..."

"A nearby nation wants to overthrow the king." Misty suggestion. "If you've played 2, that game's entire plot revolves around the aftermath of that."

"I may have to track down a cart of Final Fantasy 2." Ash smiled. "I have heard the magic system's really weird, though..."

"Either that, or wait for a remake." Brock suggested as he typed Misty's idea. "Keep the rumor ideas coming!"

"Thieves have targeted nearby farms!" Ash suggested.

"A ghostly castle can be seen nearby on nights with a full moon!" Misty suggested, prompting Brock to smile at the idea as he added it to his list...

11. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 9d: Seven Nights of Fantasy (part 4)

[Okay...let's try this again...] Tintri mused as Ash, Misty and Brock arrived in a practice room to practice their skit's reworked script. [We have two more days before Thursday, so let's make it good!]

"We had a very productive rumor brainstorming session, so I'm confident this new script will go over well Thursday." Ash assured his Pikachu as he accepted his copy of the redone script. "So set up the clock, and let's see how long this new script is."

After confirming a few settings on Ash's PokeNav, Tintri reset the stopwatch in TimeNav. [Okay...clock will be running in three...two...one!]

Once sure the clock was running, the group made themselves comfortable at a table in the center of the room. "Ah...it's good to be back in the Phoenix's Plume..." Misty began.

"I know...there's no shortage of good rumors here..." Ash agreed. "Take what we heard as we came in, for example. Someone told me that an inventor named Cid has invented a ship that can fly in the air as easily as sailing in the water."

"An airship?" Misty gasped in feigned surprise. "I'd LOVE to see that!"

"But what if that rumor is true?" Brock interjected as he retrieved his guitar and checked his tuning a little. "We could fly anywhere we wanted to in moments rather than walking, taming a Chocobo, or sailing."

"Only way to know if the rumor is true or not is to see this Cid fellow himself!" Misty agreed. "What else have you guys heard?"

"They say that thieves have hidden a secret scroll in a hideout near the southeastern hills." Brock replied, now playing his rendition of the classic Final Fantasy's town music. "Supposedly, this scroll would allow one to make a contract with the elemental gods of the world."

"If I want to make a contract with any of the gods, I'd want to make a contract with Phoenix." Ash mused.

"I'd want to make a contract with the ice queen Shiva." Misty replied. "Then I could freeze any threats to the kingdom solid."

"Maybe we should keep an eye out for other scrolls as we travel..." Ash suggested. "Where there's one summon scroll, there's probably more."

He suddenly remembered something. "I heard that the queen has been seen near the Black Shrine of Devastation with a company of adventurers..."

"The same place where the previous Warriors of Light struck down Chaos?" Brock asked. "I hope Her Majesty knows what she's doing..."

"At ease--Queen Rosa has proven quite the capable archer." Ash assured Brock. "There's a reason why she is known as the 'Angel of the Divine Bow' among the people..."

"Speaking of monsters, they say the goblins of the Dark Crypts of Woe are as strong as giants." Misty interjected. "The only way I see that plausible is if they had a strength enhancing spell cast on them, or they drank a strength potion a careless chemist dropped,"

Ash noticed Tintri giving the 'hurry' signal. "I'm not sure I want to venture all that way to see if that's true..."

"Yes...let's leave that to more experienced adventuring parties." Brock agreed as he continued playing the relaxed and comforting melody. "As for rumors from this area, I hear that one of the local lords around here has been summoning demons and other fell creatures..."

"Now THAT's my kind of adventure!" Misty smiled.

"We should go investigate in the morning!" Ash agreed.

"Go ahead and order dinner...I'll do my best to find out more information on this rumor." Brock assured Ash and Misty as he finished his song with a flourish. "Then we can make battle plans over dinner--just in case Chaos has returned."

"Got it!" Misty replied.

Tintri hit the STOP button on the stopwatch. [Okay...all of that ran for seven minutes and thirty-eight seconds. You might be able to fit another rumor in there, if you wanna do any further revisions.]

Ash acknowledged his Pikachu with a nod, then motioned for Misty and Brock to huddle. "How bout it? Should we put another rumor in the script, or leave it as is?"

"Putting another rumor and discussion in there might make the script run long..." Misty cautioned. "If we do need to lengthen the script a little more, we can expand on what rumors are already in the script."

"We also need to keep in mind laugh time, too." Brock agreed. "Granted, our script is not uproariously funny, but we do need to take time for even the quietest knowing giggles. So I'll agree that building on what rumors we have is probably the safer option."

He looked over at Ash. "You mentioned Rosa in one rumor, so you could also mention Cecil, and talk about him a little..."

"I thought about working in Cecil, but the script explicitly mentioned Rosa." Ash explained. "So if we put Cecil in there, that's only one or two extra lines."

"We could also name a few more summons in the scroll rumor, too." Misty suggested. "Maybe add a comment about which summon your character would want? It doesn't have to be Siren..."

"I'll think about working in another summon, and a Cecil reference." Brock replied. "Luckily, I have the script saved to my WriterNav cloud, so making these two small changes will be a breeze. Then we'll practice this again with the additions to see how long it runs. If our additions make it run long, we'll take them out, and perform what we just practiced Thursday night."

He started back towards the workroom. "So let me make these two slight changes to the script, and we'll be ready to go again..."

12. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 9e: Seven Nights of Fantasy (part 5)

That night, Misty looked out into the wings of the masquerade stage. "Ready to go?" she asked as the boys joined her in watching the 'Zodiac Palace' skit that was winding down on the stage.

"As I'll ever be--we've practiced this as best as we can." Ash replied. "But even if we don't get any prizes, we can still say we had fun, right?"

"Well, we're on after Juno and the Blessed Zodiac Family finish up here." Brock reminded his companions as he fine tuned the A string on his guitar. "Once we finish, we can change out of costume and go take in other events. We won't know if we did well here until the awards ceremony on Saturday night.

"Okay...I can only hope we did well enough to get some kind of recognition." Misty mused.

Applause from onstage signaled that the group was next to perform. "It's time--let's show off the results of our hard work!"

With that, Ash, Misty, and Brock put their hands in a pile. "Fire! Water! Earth! Shine on!"

---------

"...and now, from the fantastic world of the crystals, three adventurers discuss the rumors currently making the rounds." the emcee announced, to some applause as the lights came up on the very simple set that more or less resembled a fantastic tavern.

Once sure they had received the cue to begin, the group made themselves comfortable at a table in the center of the stage. "Ah...it's good to be back in the Phoenix's Plume..." Misty began as she made herself comfortable in one of the chairs.

"I know...there's no shortage of good rumors here..." Ash agreed as he took a seat at the left end of the table. "Take what we heard as we came in, for example. Someone told me that an inventor named Cid has invented a ship that can fly in the air as easily as sailing in the water."

"An airship?" Misty gasped in feigned surprise, to some laughter. "I'd LOVE to see that!"

"But what if that rumor is true?" Brock interjected as he retrieved his guitar sitting by his chair and checked his tuning a little. "We could fly anywhere we wanted to in moments rather than walking, taming a Chocobo, or sailing."

"Only way to know if the rumor is true or not is to see this Cid fellow himself!" Misty agreed, to some knowing giggles. "What else have you guys heard?"

"They say that thieves have hidden a secret scroll in a hideout near the southeastern hills." Brock replied, now playing his rendition of the classic Final Fantasy's town music. "Supposedly, this scroll would allow one to make a contract with the elemental gods of the world."

"If I want to make a contract with any of the gods, I'd want to make a contract with Phoenix." Ash mused.

"I'd want to make a contract with the ice queen Shiva." Misty replied. "Then I could freeze any threats to the kingdom solid."

"Maybe we should keep an eye out for other scrolls as we travel..." Ash suggested. "Where there's one summon scroll, there's probably more. Imagine being brothers in arms with the Fire King Ifrit...the beautiful songstress of the sea, Siren...the great holy dragon Bahamut..."

Cheers filled the air at the mention of Bahamut before Ash suddenly remembered something. "I heard that the queen has been seen near the Black Shrine of Devastation with a company of adventurers..."

"The same place where the previous Warriors of Light struck down Chaos?" Brock asked. "I hope Her Majesty knows what she's doing..."

"At ease--Queen Rosa has proven quite the capable archer." Ash assured Brock, to some excited murmurs at the mention of Rosa. "There's a reason why she is known as the 'Angel of the Divine Bow' among the people..."

"With the blade of the Holy King Cecil, and the Angel of the Divine Bow, Queen Rosa, no monster can stand against them!" Brock vowed, making a heroic strum to prove his point.

"Speaking of monsters, they say the goblins of the Dark Crypts of Woe are as strong as giants." Misty interjected as soon as the cheers quieted. "The only way I see that plausible is if they had a strength enhancing spell cast on them, or they drank a strength potion a careless chemist dropped..."

Ash shuddered a little, to some nervous giggles. "I'm not sure I want to venture all that way to see if that's true..."

"Yes...let's leave that to more experienced adventuring parties." Brock agreed as he continued playing the relaxed and comforting melody. "As for rumors from this area, I hear that one of the local lords around here has been summoning demons and other fell creatures..."

"Now THAT's my kind of adventure!" Misty smiled.

"We should go investigate in the morning!" Ash agreed.

"Go ahead and order dinner...I'll do my best to find out more information on this rumor." Brock assured Ash and Misty as he finished his song with a flourish. "Then we can make battle plans over dinner--just in case Chaos has returned."

"Got it!" Misty replied as the lights went down, ending the skit.

The masquerade hall roared with applause as the group took a bow. This is actually kinda fun! Ash thought as he took a bow with his companions. If being Pokémon Master doesn't work out, I can always look into becoming an actor--or anything that allows me to be onstage with my best friends!

13. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 10a: Arriving in the Port of the Night Sea (part 1)

"That festival was so much fun!" Ash raved as the group got back on the road a few days later. "Are we anywhere close to Vermilion City yet?"

"We're getting close--we should get there in about four more days if we minimize the amount of time we stay in our remaining spots." Brock assured Ash and Misty. "At the moment, we are coming up on Nightsea City--so named for its bustling entertainment district, and its majestic port."

"Any chance of a mall anywhere?" Misty asked. "I've been itching to do a little shopping. If we're gonna be on the road for a bit, I may want to send my sisters some souvenirs."

"Good news--Nightsea City is famed for its shopping district, and has a nice mall as well as smaller shops and boutiques--so stock up on all the clothes and shoes you want."

Ash sighed as Misty jumped for joy. "Collecting shoes is one of those girl things that I don't understand..."

"Look at it this way--it's like collecting Pokémon." Brock explained. "Some girls are happy with a few pairs of shoes, and then there are some that 'have' to have every brand, color, and style of shoe under the sun--never mind if they are actually comfortable."

"So long as I don't have to carry a few million packages, I'll be happy to come along on a shopping trip..." Ash smiled, now in a better mood. "Who knows--they might have a GameWorld inside the mall, or something!"

"Relax, I'll only make you guys carry what I can't carry myself." Misty assured the boys before triumphantly showing the boys a well loved reusable shopping bag depicting a beach scene. "This is what reusable shopping bags are for."

Ash nodded. "What else is there to do in the city, besides shopping?"

"There's Mankey Island, which you can take a ferry to hourly." Brock replied. "A nice way to see the Mankey family in their natural habitat from a safe distance."

Ash noticed a picture of a horseshoe shaped building in Brock's guidebook. "Wonder what that place is?"

"That's actually a theater." Brock replied. "According to the guidebook, there's concerts, plays, and other performances there all the time."

Ash smiled at a memory of the festival a few days before. "Any chance we can find out if a show's going on now?"

"We should be able to find a schedule of performances anywhere in the city, and get tickets in any convenience store." Brock assured Ash as he watched the city, and the sea come into view. "There it is..."

"Let's go!" Misty led the charge down the hill towards the city...

---------

Inside the Harmony Plaza, Ash studied a mall directory for a moment. "Okay, we dropped Misty off in the GlitterSpa...there's a GameWorld in the north section, and the food court is not too far from here..."

"One of three food courts." Brock smiled. "As well as food stands and smaller places around the mall."

"For now, I want to see this GameWorld." With that, the boys made their way towards the north hall of the mall, towards the Willow's department store at the end of the hall.

An advertisement in the window of the GameWorld snapped Ash to attention. "Now Available to Demo--The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time--Coming to GameWorld this November, so preorder today?"

"Sounds interesting!" Brock smiled as he admired the promo images of Link jumping to slash something. "Nice graphics to boot..."

"Shame I don't have an Nintendo 64..." Ash sighed as the boys made their way inside the store, and its colorful utopia of games for sale.

"Welcome!" an employee smiled. "If you'd like to try out the new Zelda before it releases in November, or any of our other featured games, the demo kiosks are on the left."

"Thanks!" Ash smiled before making his way to a demo kiosk advertising Mario Kart 64. "I think I'll give this a go..."

"Then I'll give Zelda a try." Brock replied before taking the controls on another kiosk.

"Okay, so the Control Stick moves you, A is go, B is the brake..." Ash made a note of the control explanation on the kiosk, then pressed Start to begin setting up a Grand Prix.

"Apparently we'll get to go through an ice cave dungeon at some point in the game..." Brock mused as he carefully guided his Link through a beautiful crystal cave.

"The demo cart allows you to go through three different dungeons--the ice cave, a forest dungeon, and a fire dungeon." an employee explained as she arrived to restock some Nintendo 64 games. "Just be aware that they might be different in the retail version coming in November."

She smiled as Ash effortlessly pulled off a mini turbo to power past Bowser on his kiosk's screen. "Nice driving!"

"I like how smooth the driving feels in this version..." Ash smiled. "This is way easier than the SNES version I have at home...but I don't have an N64 yet."

"Well, when you're ready to buy one, we're offering Mario Kart and Zelda bundles for the holiday season." the employee smiled as she continued placing games on the shelf closest to the demo kiosks.

"Nice, I'll have to keep that in mind--and save up!" Ash smiled as his Yoshi cruised across the finish line of Luigi Raceway in first place.

Misty arrived some moments later. "I figured you two would be playing on the demos..."

She picked up a box from the N64 accessory display. "Wonder what this does?"

"That's a Rumble Pak." an employee replied. "Connect it to your controller, and you can feel a vehicle's engine, the impact of your attack, or the impact of taking damage."

"Whoa!" Brock felt a jolt of vibration from his controller as an Ice Keese froze his Link solid. "I can safely attest that the Rumble Pak works!"

"Would you like to give Mario Kart a go?" Ash backed out to the game's main screen, and offered Misty the controller.

"Sure!" Misty smiled. "I've seen so many commercials for this, so let's see how this compares to the SNES version..." She let that hang as she selected Peach for her test run...

#53 Sep 5, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 10b: Arriving in the Port of the Night Sea (part 2)

Later that afternoon, the group departed a convenience store with three tickets, and some food and treats for the road. "Okay, guys--we have tickets to see the Sachiaru Players' 3 PM performance of 'The Faithful Fair One'..."

"I think I've heard Serena tell that story before in one of her letters..." Ash remembered as the group made their way to the shiny horseshoe shaped theater. "It's a Kalosian tale about a noble who sets out to win the titular character for his king, but ends up winning her for himself."

"That's the one!" Brock smiled. "I've learned the original story, but I haven't seen a stage version before...depending on the troupe, they mighty change what Pokémon Avenant helps--and by extension, what he has to do to win the Faithful Fair One, they might change the companion Pokémon Avenant has, they might add in more challenges, expand on character backstories, and anything in between."

"According to the tickets, this version has music as part of the story, but not quite a full blown musical..." Misty mused as they approached the theater, where a line was beginning to form for the 3 PM performance...

---------

In the theater, the group balked in amazement at a beautiful castle set. "Now, at the court was a young man who was well loved and well liked by nobility and commoner alike." the narrator explained, gesturing to an actor in a majestic green suit and black leggings in a spotlight near stage left. "His charms and his ready wit earned him his name of Avenant. Everybody liked him, except those who were jealous that the king showed him his favor and made him his daily confidant."

With that, the lights came up on the throne room set again, spurring the actor playing Avenant to look around at all the activity. "Never have I seen so much hustle and bustle in the castle before--the ambassador His Majesty sent has probably returned..."

"...and without the Faithful Fair One, sad to say." an actor playing a lord sighed. "His Majesty wept all night after hearing the Faithful Fair One's refusal."

"Maybe, if the king had sent me to the Faithful Fair One, I am sure she would come back with me." the actor playing Avenant smiled as he started towards stage right.

Some other actors noticed Brock approaching. "Why does Your Majesty waste your time with that green rogue?" one asked the actor playing the king. "Do you not know he is a rascal?"

"Leave me alone. I want to listen." the actor playing the king replied, shooing away the actors playing naysayers.

He next addressed the actor playing Avenant, who had bowed on one knee before the beautiful prop throne. "Avenant, is what you say about bringing back the Faithful Fair One true?"

"It is true, Your Majesty, that I would have made her realize your good qualities." the actor playing Avenant replied. "I'm sure she would not refuse her consent. In saying what I said, I did not intend to displease you."

The actor playing the king smiled. "Your words prove to me that you are a man of your word. Rise--I wish to personally invite you to the royal table this evening."

"I would be honored to join you for dinner, milord." the actor playing Avenant replied as the lights went down.

After a moment or two, the lights came up on an elegant royal dining room set, where the boy playing the king and the actor playing Avenant were enjoying various prop food. "I wonder how they manage to do eating scenes in plays without the food spoiling or the actors getting sick..." Ash whispered, aware of the action on the stage.

"They probably have to practice it, like you would anything else in a play." Misty whispered back, keeping a watchful eye out for ushers and what was happening onstage.

"Avenant, I am still in love with the Faithful Fair One, but I don't know what to do to gain her consent." the actor playing the king explained. "I would like to send you to her court."

The actor playing Avenant signaled to an extra playing a servant he was ready for the dessert course, then told the actor playing the king "I stand ready to do whatever you ask of me, milord. If you so choose, I can depart as soon as tomorrow."

"Aw"s filled the theater as the actor playing Avenant and the boy playing the king embraced. "A toast!" the boy playing the king announced. "To Avenant's successful journey!"

"To Avenant's successful journey!" the extras playing guests chorused, to cheers as glasses clinked together and the lights went down over a festive interlude.

"True to his word, Avenant departed early the next morning." the narrator explained. "He thought long and hard about how he could persuade the Faithful Fair One to marry the king. But try as he might, no good ideas came to him."

The lights came up on a sunny grove set, where the actor playing Avenant emerged deep in thought. After pacing the set for a few moments, an inspired look formed on his face. "I'd better write this down, lest I forget it later." he smiled as he settled under a tree and took out an elegant prop notebook and a pen. After quickly writing something, he put the notebook and the pen away, then stretched out to relax under the tree.

Some sniffles and soft cries in the distance snapped the actor playing Avenant to attention. When he crossed the stage to see what the crying was, the lights revealed an actress in costume as a Sobble--feigning crying by the riverbank. "Oh...a Sobble." the actor playing Avenant mused. "I don't know why you cry, little one, but may I at least put you back in the water?"

The actress nodded yes through her feigned tears, then laid down, allowing the actress to carefully pick her up and set her down in the pool standing in for the stream. "There." the actor playing Avenant smiled. "I'm sure your friends and family are worried about you."

"Avenant, thank you for your kindness." the actress playing the Sobble smiled, her feigned tears shining with happiness. "Because you have done so much for me, one day I'll do something good for you in return."

With that, she plunged into the water, making some in the audience laugh--including the group--at the actor playing Avenant's shocked face...

#54 Oct 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  15. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 11: Bonds With Far Away Lands

"Here we are in Seacross City--so named because of its connections to some far off regions." Brock explained as the group arrived in another seaside town a day or two later.

"What kind of far off regions?" Ash was interested.

"There are quite a few Unovan Defense Force bases in this area, so I wouldn't be surprised if we find Lt. Surge training new recruits here." Brock replied.

He made a grand gesture to a large plaque overlooking a building with the familiar red, blue, yellow, green, and white Wakunese flag and a flag with a scarlet top, a gold center, and a violet bottom. "...and that plaque right there symbolizes this place's friendship with the Paldean city of Porto Marinada."

"Who knew that places could be friends, too?" Misty smiled as she watched the flags flutter in the late morning breeze.

"Cities and towns may become friendship cities for many different reasons." Brock assured Misty. "The two places might have cultural connections, economic connections, historic connections, and that's just naming a few. Porto Marinada and Seacross became friendship cities because of their shared history as fishing villages, and modern day incarnations as seaside resorts."

"If I'm ever lucky enough to go to Paldea one day, I might have to check out Porto Marinada!" Ash smiled as he petted Tintri. "But first I wanna get all the badges that I can in Waku before I go overseas."

"Good idea--this way you have time to brush up on the local culture of wherever you end up." Misty agreed as the group approached a fork in the path leading to a forested area. "Wonder where that path goes?"

"That right there leads to the Forest of Reverence--which has long been considered a sacred forest." Brock replied. "Surprisingly enough, the Unovan Defense Force helps the locals look after the forest. There is a park nearby, but only those on a sacred pilgrimage are allowed into the heart of the forest."

"There's maybe a shrine or a temple in there?" Misty was intrigued as the group approached the path leading into the park near the forest.

Brock nodded. "It's actually sacred to Emerald Raikou--the story goes that Emerald Raikou was rescued from a corrupt warlord by three Primeapes."

"Here I was thinking that Mankey and Primeapes were dangerous..." Ash mused as he consulted his Pokédex:

"Primeape, the pig monkey Pokémon. It becomes wildly furious if it even senses someone looking at it. It chases anyone that meets its glare."

"So, if Primeapes chase anyone that looks at it, then how come three Primeapes helped Emerald Raikou?" Ash wondered, pocketing his Pokédex as the group arrived at the park entrance.

"Maybe Brock can tell us the tale over bento boxes?" Misty suggested as she followed Ash and Brock inside the park.

"Many parks do have small shops to buy food, supplies, and souvenirs, as well as fire pits if you want to camp out and cook over a fire." Brock explained. "Getting into parks themselves are free." He let that hang as he led the group down the trail leading to the park's center, where a supply outpost and amphitheater stood for visitors and campers.

"Oh, that's cool!" Ash admired the amphitheater nestled in a grove near the central square. "Wonder what kind of shows they put on in there?"

"Probably educational Pokémon shows and campfire sing-alongs, but general concerts and plays aren't unheard of, either." Misty replied before leading the way inside the supply outpost...

---------

"Now then...here is the tale of how three Primeapes rescued Emerald Raikou." Brock began as the group settled in a vacant picnic shelter near the park's central square with bento boxes.

[Thank you for the food!] Tintri squeaked before biting into an onigiri.

Even Brock couldn't resist smiling at Tintri's happiness. "Anyway, Emerald Raikou ended up on the bad side of a warlord named Twilight Wind, who oppressed the people with harsh laws and high taxes. Twilight Wind got his title because no matter what you said or did, he and his men were listening. If they heard you saying bad things about them, they often burned down your house as revenge. Since these burnings usually happened at night, the people were very careful about what they said, lest the twilight wind hear of it, and burn your house down..."

In a world of the past, a young man similar in appearance to Brock wearing a majestic green, pale green, and gold costume knocks on the door of a house. "Quickly--the twilight wind blows your way tonight." he warns a man. "So gather what belongings you can, and come with me."

"Emerald Raikou was seen as a heroic figure to the people of this area--because he would follow Twilight Wind and his men, learn which families would have their houses burned that evening, and warn those whose houses were targeted to flee to his hideaway in the forest." Brock narrates as in the story's world, Emerald Raikou leads the family to a well hidden network of caves in the forest. The people nicknamed him 'Torakami'--divine Raikou--and many heeded his warning if he came to their house."

"So, how did Twilight Wind figure out what was going on?" Misty asks via voiceover as Emerald Raikou arrives to warn another family.

"He was just as cunning, so one night, before coming to burn his targeted houses for the night, he followed Emerald Raikou to the forest." Brock replies via voiceover as the scene changes to Twilight Wind and his men surrounding the sacred forest. "But the forest Pokémon were some of Emerald Raikou's closest allies--they had warned him and the families he cared for to stay put in the caves. They would drive off Twilight Wind themselves."

In the story's world, Twilight Wind demands "Come out, Emerald Raikou, or I will burn the forest to the ground!"

He does not, however expect three Primeapes to emerge from the brush and begin battering the soldiers with many Fighting type moves! "But instead of Emerald Raikou, Twilight Wind was met by three Primeapes! In the ensuing chaos, Emerald Raikou joined the fight with his sacred bow--the Venerable Jade Bow." Brock narrates as a shining jade green arrow lands in the formation of soldiers, knocking many of them to the ground as Emerald Raikou and more of the forest Pokémon come to join the fight...

"In the end, Twilight Wind and his men were forced to flee, and several families were spared that night from losing their homes." Brock concluded the story some time later. "The people were thankful that Emerald Raikou and the forest Pokémon saved their lives, and built the temple that stands in the heart of the forest today. Needless to say, Twilight Wind didn't attempt capturing Emerald Raikou, or the other seven Spirits, for a good while after that!"

"I can only hope Twilight Wind got his comeuppance after that..." Misty mused as she and Ash gathered up the trash from their picnic.

"I can assure you he did." Brock replied. "But that's another tale for another time."

16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 12a: The City of the Sword and the Phoenix

"Here we are at Swordpoint City...the last major stop before Vermilion." Brock began as the group approached a large seaside city in the distance with many majestic temples dominating the skyline. "While the name comes from its long history as one of Waku's ancient capitals, and connections to the samurai, it is also known as 'The City of Temples', or 'The City of Spirits'--since many of the temples and shrines honor at least one of the Eight Spirits."

He showed Ash and Misty a picture of a huge phoenix statue. "If you only see one of the temples, it is suggested you visit the Temple of Purity, and the Great Phoenix statue."

"I remember doing a research paper on Ruby Phoenix's connections to Swordpoint once for school..." Misty remembered. "One story goes that Ruby Phoenix was sentenced to die on a trumped up charge, but moments before the execution, a thunderbolt killed the executioner. The corrupt emperor was so frightened at this, he ordered Ruby Phoenix freed, and gave him and the other seven Spirits many lavish gifts as an apology, believing them all to be gods."

"That's just one of the many stories of the Eight Spirits you'll hear out this way." Brock replied. "But worry not, Miss Dragon--there are plenty of temples and shrines to Sapphire Dragon here, too."

With Brock and Misty occupied talking, Ash did a double take when he noticed a familiar three triangle design on a historic house's front door. "No way! That's a Triforce!"

"The Triforce sign has a long history besides Zelda." Brock explained. "In ancient times, it was the clan crest, or mon, of the Northern Passage clan of samurai. So that house was likely owned by someone of that family line at one time or another."

"Cool!' Ash smiled. "Who knew that symbol was older than I thought!"

---------

"What's so great about a rock?" Misty asked as the group approached a rock overlooking the central square of one district.

"This is Phoenix Rock." Brock explained. "The story goes that this is where Ruby Phoenix pleaded with angry crowds to turn from their evil ways. He believed the chaos going on in the city at the time was Arceus' anger that they had forgotten His holy teaching."

"Did it work?" Misty wondered.

"In fact, it did--but it also put the Eight Spirits on the evil emperor's radar, setting up for Ruby Phoenix's near execution and divine rescue." Brock explained.

Ash noticed a signpost near the district square. "Well! There's a walking trail here that goes to all the temples here..."

"Let's go check it out!" Misty led the way down the trail...

---------

"Here is the Temple of the Heavenly Wing..." Brock began as the group arrived on a majestic temple's grounds. "The story goes that when officials of the evil emperor burned down the house of the Eight Spirits, Ho'oh led Ruby Phoenix to safety here. Eventually the Eight Spirits all regrouped here--the view of Mt. Silver near the cave they made shelter in renewed their spirit and resolve."

Piqued, Misty noticed a cave near the group's current position. "Forgive the intrusion!" she called, as if expecting Sapphire Dragon to appear from the cave and welcome her and her companions to the sacred grounds.

When no one came, she noticed a row of eight statues on the path leading to the cave designed to receive donations. A sign was nearby, telling visitors that any donations in the receptacles went towards the temple's upkeep, and charity work. "At the very least, I can donate a little something to let Sapphire Dragon know I've been here." With that, she dropped a few coins inside the dragon-woman's receptacle.

Ash returned with a smile some moments later. "I asked Ruby Phoenix for strength and courage on our journey..."

"Well, you have the courage part down, at least." Misty smiled as she led the way back to the temple entrance..."

---------

"This is the Temple of the Black Pine...so named because of the sacred pine tree here." Brock explained. "No one knows for sure who planted it, but Amethyst Braviary, Jade Beautifly, and Pearl Deerling have all been named possible candidates."

Ash looked up at the huge pine tree towering over the temple grounds. "It's huge!"

Misty, meanwhile, returned with a souvenir book. "Apparently, this place is on a pilgrimage route, so I got a picture of the Jade Beautifly statue in the main hall--with the chief priest's permission--and a stamp for a souvenir book detailing all the pilgrimage routes in the Kanto area."

"We are kinda on a pilgrimage..." Ash admitted as he admired the red pine tree design stamped in a square under the temple's name and picture. "Is there a prize for getting all of the temples stamped?" he asked, looking to Brock for the answer.

"Probably not a physical prize, but the memory of the trip is a prize in itself." Brock mused.

"That's fair." Ash replied as he shepherded Tintri close to him. "Come on, bud--let's go."

[Okay!] Tintri replied before bounding on his master's shoulder again. [Wonder if any Pokémon's ever climbed all the way to the top of the sacred tree?]

"Maybe you can ask the local Caterpies?" Ash suggested, to nervous giggles from Misty...

---------

"This one is for you Misty--the Temple of Sapphire Dragon." Brock explained. "There are grand temples to the other seven Spirits, but Sapphire Dragon gets the one overlooking the sea."

Misty smiled when she noticed the sea far in the distance. "I'd like to think that Sapphire Dragon is out there, dancing on the water...

She closed her eyes for a moment. Sapphire Dragon-sama, grant me strength and protection for this trip!

"Whoa..." Misty was snapped from her prayer by Ash gawking at a massive bell with dragon designs near the temple square. "Wonder how something this big is even rung?"

"There's a very sturdy rope, young man." one of the temple's priests assured Ash as he arrived to collect donations that had been left at the bell's base. "It is rung three times a year--at the New Year, on the day traditionally believed to be Sapphire Dragon's birth date, and on the anniversary of the temple's founding."

"Interesting..." Misty mused. "Maybe I should travel here for the New Year, and hear it ring!" Chuckles filled the air in agreement...

17. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Traveling Interlude 12b: The Museum of Martial Tales

"Where to now on our mini pilgrimage to all the temples and shrines in Swordpoint?" Ash asked as the group made their way back to the city's central square.

"Before we move on to more shrines and temples, I found another place we might wanna check out." Brock replied as he showed Ash and Misty a picture of a large building surrounded by beautiful gardens. "This is the local Museum of Martial Literature. While the emphasis is on martial stories written by authors from this area, they do feature authors from across Waku--and some foreign stories."

"Who knew that martial fantasy was loved elsewhere?" Misty smiled as she followed the boys to a bus stop.

"Serena's taught me some Kalosian in her letters, so I might find some Kalosian martial stories!" Ash replied, petting Tintri as he kept an eye out for busses going to the museum...

---------

Now arriving at the Museum of Martial Literature...next stop, Temple of the Bush-clovers. the bus' loudspeaker announced as the group disembarked at the museum's front walk some time later.

"The good news is, once we're done here, there are several routes that pass by here." Brock explained before showing the group a schedule of all the city's bus routes. "I made sure to ask the driver for a bus schedule so we don't get lost."

"Most bus services will be happy to give you a schedule of their routes." Misty replied before showing Brock a well loved Cerulean bus schedule. "I still keep one from home on hand when I travel to a part of the city I haven't been to before. What you guys got to see is only a silver of what Cerulean has to offer!"

"You still owe me tickets to a game at Stars Park!" Ash grinned before leading the way up the stone path to the museum and the gardens.

"I'll keep an eye on the schedule for when the Pallet Charizards are in town, Mr. Baseball Fan." Misty assured Ash before noticing a sign displaying the museum's admission fees. "A thousand credits for a ticket is a great deal..."

"Most museums offer free admission, but those that have fees are often very reasonable." Brock explained as he paid for a ticket. "Depending on the museum, you may also get access to some attractions with your admission fee. Pewter gives you a free VMAX movie with your thousand credit entry."

"I can only imagine what a documentary on sea Pokémon might look like on the very, VERY big screen!" Misty smiled as she made her way inside the museum.

"The closest thing to scuba diving, without getting scuba training!" Ash grinned before making a beeline to one wing of bookshelves.

"I wonder if you can read any of the books here..." Misty mused as she looked over the museum map in the lobby.

"You can read a rotating selection of books that change each month." a museum attendant replied. "This month's theme is Deerling-born stories. If there's a book not out on display you'd like to read, ask an employee."

"Thanks!" Misty replied before following Brock into a different wing...

---------

"Let's see here...don't really know many of these authors..." Misty mused as she, Ash, and Brock explored a different wing. "'The Adventures of Amber Deerling' is on display over here...'The Legend of Crimson Deerling'...'The Wind Song'..."

"That one must have a Pokeflute involved in it..." Ash grinned before turning his attention to the books on the shelf before him. "'Adventures of the Disguised Pikachu' sounds interesting...'The Adventures of Sapphire Phoenix' sounds like something Misty would wanna read..."

"...'The Journey to Jeweled City'...in most of those stories, the way to the titular place is the brunt of the story, but some novels make the destination just as interesting as the journey." Brock mused as he contemplated which book to read on the shelf before him. 'Journey to the Mysterious Temple' sounds exciting...'The Ancient Jeweled Sword' sounds like something you'd read, Ash..."

"If there's a huge world-spanning quest involved, I'll read it!" Ash smiled before studying his shelf. "'The Hundred Pikachu Pearls'..."

[Maybe they're called that because they have Pikachu faces on them.] Tintri replied. [Shame that one's not available to read right now...]

Ash brought up NoteNav on his PokeNav and added the book's title to a list of titles. "That's why I'm writing down the names of the ones not out on display that sound interesting. This way, I can look up plot summaries, and see if they are worth checking out of Pallet Library, or buying to own forever."

"What a great idea!" Misty smiled as she located NoteNav on her own PokeNav and created a note labeled 'Martial Stories I Might Want to Read'

"I keep track of what I've read or might like to read like this too." Brock explained as he updated his own note. "Pewter's library has a huge section of martial fantasy--I haven't even made a dent in the section yet. So I'm noting which ones sound interesting, and ones I know the library has that I haven't read yet."

"The beauty of the Wakunese library system is, you can check out and return books from anywhere in Waku." Ash smiled. "So I can check something out from home, then drop it off in a return drop box somewhere else."

"Most Pokémon Centers have library checkout and return kiosks." Brock reminded Ash. "So we'll never be short of new martial tales to read on our adventures!"

18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Episode 19a: Arrival in the Port of Exquisite Sunsets (part 1)

"Here we are, everyone...Vermilion City." Brock began, making a grand gesture to the beautiful city in the distance. "They don't call it 'the port of exquisite sunsets' for nothing!"

"I'm sure seeing the sunset over the water in the harbor would be well worth the two weeks it took to get here..." Misty smiled before balking at a huge statue of a phoenix megabot that would be right at home in a super sentai series keeping a silent watch in the distance. "Is that megabot what I think it is?"

Brock nodded. "The Sun Phoenix from 'Explosive Force Blazing Five'. They just put it up to mark the series' 10th anniversary. Depending on how the public reacts, it may stay up for longer."

"Wow..." Ash gawked at the size of the megabot statue for a moment before turning business-like again. "Forget pretty sunsets and megabot statues, I'm interested in finding the Vermilion Gym, and finally challenging Lt. Surge!"

[Do we have to?] Tintri yawned. [We've come a long way, and I'm tired...]

"What's the hurry?" Brock smiled. "A Pokémon adventure is more than just going somewhere, winning something, then just going on to the next place with a prize. It's worth your time to stop and take in the sights of every place you stop at, no matter how lame and overpriced they might be."

Misty noticed Tintri breathing hard. "Besides, if Tintri's heaving like that, he needs a break."

"Well, okay...maybe Lt. Surge can wait." Ash admitted. "So, what else is there to see besides the harbor and the Sun Phoenix statue?"

"There's Phoenix Tower, the second tallest building in Waku, after Silph Tower." Misty explained. "They say it's almost a thousand feet high!"

"In addition to all the historic and modern boats in the harbor, there's the Three Jewels of the Sea--three historic office buildings near the harbor." Brock read from the guidebook. "They are affectionately nicknamed the Ruby, the Sapphire, and the Emerald, because of the lights on them at night. Unova has its world famous Victoire statue, Kanto has the Three Jewels of the Sea to welcome visitors, should they arrive through here."

"I heard once that if that if you go somewhere in the city where you can see all three buildings at the same time, and make a wish, your wish will come true." Misty remembered as the group made their way into the city. "Dunno how true it is, though."

"It's true enough that they made a movie about it some years ago..." Ash replied. "Now to look for a spot where I can see the Three Jewels, and make my own wish!"

Inspired, he hurried over to a park overlooking the harbor, where he could see all three Jewels of the Sea. "I wish I could be a Pokémon Master...and see my friend Serena again." he wished.

"I'll bite...I wish I could see all the water Pokémon of the world." Misty agreed as she joined Ash in admiring the three majestic buildings standing proudly over the harbor.

"I wish I could learn the music and stories of every region, and share my music and tales everywhere." Brock wished as he too joined Ash and Misty in the park.

---------

Later, Ash balked at a picture of a building in Brock's guidebook. "No way! They have a ramen museum here?"

"The Maiyu Noodle Company's headquarters is here..." Brock explained. "And yes, you can try different Maiyu flavors from all around the world in the museum's Grand Ramen Kitchen."

"That sounds fun, and interesting!" Misty smiled in between bites of the food in her bento box. "The Corphish and Meli flavor is my favorite of the Maiyu ramen..."

"The Combusken flavor was an Arceus-send when I wasn't feeling good..." Ash agreed. "Wonder what other flavors are out there?"

"If we do go there, we'll go hungry so we can try all the flavors." Brock mused before showing Ash and Misty a picture of a baseball stadium. "If you like sports, the Vermilion Lightning's home field is in the Central District. Lt. Surge is known to attend the games."

"I guess even a trained soldier must love baseball..." Ash smiled. "Are the Lightning playing today?"

"Unfortunately, no..." Brock replied as he looked up the Lightning's schedule. "We missed the end of their series with the Celadon Rainbows..."

"Aw..." Ash sighed before a picture of a Wakunese festival scene got his attention. "Wonder what that is?"

"That's the Living Festival at the Wakunese Festival Museum..." Brock explained. "There, you can learn about festivals from all over Waku. The historic Three River Garden is nearby."

"I'm sure that's beautiful in the spring with all the Cheri blossoms!" Ash smiled.

"There's well over 40 museums here, so you'll probably find a museum for just about any topic..." Brock assured Ash before addressing Misty. "If you want to go shopping, there's the world famous Dream Mirai 25 district, or just Mirai 25 for short."

"I've always wanted to see Mirai 25!" Misty smiled. "That, and take a ride on the huge Ferris wheel there--the Star of the Sea."

'It may not be the Autumn Leaf District in Saffron, but I'm sure Mirai 25 has some gaming and comic shops to visit." Ash mused, warming up to the possibility of being dragged into every shop in the iconic district.

"Let's clean up, then take the bus to Mirai 25..." Brock began as the group gathered up their trash from lunch. "We'll need to take the Amber route to get there--there's no fare, since all public bus lines are free."

Ash noticed a bus with yellow and orange streaks approaching a stop near the park. "I think I see one on the Amber Route!" he called as he motioned for Misty and Brock to follow him to the stop.

The bus' loudspeaker confirmed his suspicions. Amber Route...service to Dream Mirai 25...

19. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Episode 19b: Arrival in the Port of Exquisite Sunsets (part 2)

Now arriving at Dream Mirai 25 North... the bus' loudspeaker announced as the bus pulled up to a stop nearby Phoenix Tower.

"Wow..." Ash gasped as he stepped off the bus and looked up at the sleek crystalline tower that marked the northern entrance of Dream Mirai 25. "I wonder if you can go up to the top of that?"

"You can--great views of Saffron and Mt. Silver from there." Brock replied, showing Ash a picture of the view from the top of Phoenix Tower.

He nudged Misty. "Before we get to shopping and the other attractions here, would you mind humoring Ash for a picture from the top of Phoenix Tower?"

"Sure..." Misty replied. "Although I will admit that being that high up seems a little scary..."

"You have nothing to worry about." a familiar male voice assured the group. "The observation deck is enclosed inside the building, for safety reasons."

Ash whirled around to discover Clyde approaching the group. "Clyde! What a surprise! What can you tell me about Lt. Surge?"

"As I've said before, Water types and birds are at risk from Lt. Surge's Raichu, Raika." Clyde explained as he led the group into the lobby of Phoenix Tower. "But more challengers fail to even reach Lt. Surge and Raika. If Lt. Surge's no-nonsense demeanor doesn't scare them off, his fiendishly difficult switch puzzle will."

"The elevator to the observation deck is this way..." a Phoenix Tower employee assured Clyde, pointing out a hallway at the west end of the lobby.

"Thank you..." Clyde replied before leading the group down the hall. "Since we have some time to reach the top, I'll tell you all I can about the puzzle--and possibly a secret as to how to beat Raika."

"Okay..." Ash replied, shuddering at what Lt. Surge's puzzle entailed. "It's not something like a memory puzzle?"

"Thankfully, no." Clyde assured Ash as the group boarded the beautiful and roomy elevator. "When you arrive, you'll see all these metallic bins, each one with a switch at the bottom. Your goal is to find the two switches that open the way to the door leading to the arena, Surge, and Raika."

He paused to hit the button leading to the observation deck, starting the elevator on its leisurely journey to the top. "However, which two switches open the door is a surprise--if you find a correct switch, then hit an incorrect switch, the doors and switches reset."

"That IS hard!" Misty gasped as she admired the view of the harbor from the elevator. "I'd be tearing my hair out just to find the right switches!"

"Surge is one of those types that believes in pounding unprepared trainers into submission." Clyde warned Ash. "But in immediately evolving Raika with a Thunder Stone, his raw power came with a cost--Raika missed out on all the speed and speed-based attacks Pikachu gets."

"Hm..." Ash contemplated what Clyde had said for a moment. "So if I can flummox Raika's raw power with Tintri's speed and defense..."

Brock smiled in agreement. "The best offense is a good defense. Although, if you still need help, I'll be more than happy to lend you Terra for the fight. Electricity won't do a thing to her, so Raika would likely be a sitting Psyduck!"

"Hey, sitting Psyducks are stronger than you think!" Misty smiled. "Especially once they become sitting Golducks, and get access to Ice and Psychic attacks. This is not to say that Psyducks can't learn Ice attacks either..."

"So, what's the secret to Lt. Surge's puzzle?" Ash asked, ignoring Misty's lecture on the Psyduck family all the while.

"All I'll tell you is this: Once you've found the first correct switch, the second switch is right next to it, but right next to it in which direction is a challenge." Clyde explained. "The answer is not immediately obvious. So you can still get the right switch, and then hit an incorrect switch, which resets everything. The switches don't lie on a diagonal or an angle--they will be next to each other in a line."

"That narrows down my options..." Ash mused as he saw the observation deck come into view.

Top floor--Phoenix Observation Deck, Spirit Garden, and Starry Skyride. the elevator announced as the doors opened onto the top floor of Phoenix Tower, snapping Misty from her lecture.

"Took long enough..." Brock sighed. "Thought Misty was gonna blabber about the Psyduck family forever..."

"Just humor her..." Ash smiled as he followed Clyde to the observation deck. "She does know her Water types, and she's not afraid to flaunt it sometimes."

"Wonder what the Spirit Garden and Starry Skyride is?" Misty asked.

"The Starry Skyride is a skyway connecting the top of Phoenix Tower to the indoor Starry World theme park." Clyde replied. "The Spirit Garden is a Wakunese garden dedicated to Ruby Phoenix..."

He smiled as he led the way into the observation room with the deck and the Starry Skyride station. "But before you guys go play in Starry World, I believe this is what we all came to see..."

The group gasped in awe at the majestic view spreading out before them. "Wow...you can see all of Vermilion from here!" Ash gasped as Brock snapped a picture with his PokeNav.

"If you look a little off to the north, you can see Saffron City, and Mt. Silver off to the west." Clyde explained, pointing out a majestic snow-capped mountain in the distance.

He then handed the group some ticket books. "You can get into Starry World for free, but you'll need tickets to ride the rides. One book will allow you to ride every ride and do every attraction three times."

"Thanks, Clyde!" Misty smiled.

"Yeah, thanks!" Ash agreed before looking over at the Starry Skyride station. "I'm up for riding any roller coasters they've got!"

"I'll just stick to any gentle rides, thanks..." Misty mused before following Ash into the station...

20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,020.9
    Episode 20a: A Spark of Frustration (part 1)

"Dream Mirai 25 was so much fun!" Ash smiled as the group returned to the Vermilion Pokémon Center later that evening. "We'll have to go back to Starry World again..."

He was about to say more when a Chansey wheeling a stretcher and a deep brown haired boy ran past the group in the hallway towards the emergency bay. "Wonder what happened to that poor Ratatta?" Brock wondered as he caught a glimpse of the thunderbolts criss-crossing the weakened Rattata's fur.

"It's been like this for the last several days..." Nurse Joy sighed. "With so many trainers arriving to challenge Lt. Surge lately, even the Ground types have been no match for Raika. It's a wonder many of them are even alive!"

Ash swallowed hard as the group and Nurse Joy arrived in the emergency bay of the Pokémon Center. Should I still try to take on Lt. Surge? he worried as he uneasily studied the hundreds of paralyzed and burned Pokémon in the various rooms, many of them with thunderbolts criss crossing their bodies. Even the recovering Ground types moaned in pain as they tried to achieve a comfortable position, only to fall back on their beds again due to their paralysis.

[Should we even fight Lt. Surge?] Tintri asked. [Even as an Electric type, I'm worried that I might be stuck in here for days recovering from severe paralysis! Paralysis has to be bad if you can still see the bolts on the targets!]

"We've come all this way..." Misty noted. "But we can go elsewhere for your third badge if you're having second thoughts..."

Inspired, Ash dug for a coin from his pocket. "Heads, we try to reach and defeat Lt. Surge. Tails, we go elsewhere for my third badge..."

Brock, Misty, and Nurse Joy all watched as the hundred credit coin flew up in the air, then clattered on the floor seconds later. "It's heads..." Brock reported when he saw a Pikachu face.

Tintri swallowed hard. [Okay...I don't really want to fight Lt. Surge, but fate said we should at least try.]

"That's the brave Ash and Pikachu I know!" Misty smiled. "But before the great battle, we first need to worry about the switch puzzle..."

"Remember what Clyde said?" Brock asked as the group made their way back to the Pokémon Center's main lobby. "If we find one of the switches that opens the door, the other one is right next to it--but in which way, we'll have to figure out on our own. They won't be on an angle or on a diagonal, so that eases the challenge a little bit..."

"If it would help..." Nurse Joy offered Ash a green stone with a golden thunderbolt marking on it to Ash. "You could evolve your Pikachu for the battle, and meet Surge as an equal."

Ash took the stone and examined it for a moment "If you do want to use that Thunderstone, there's no way to reverse the evolution." Brock cautioned. "Think about that, as well."

Ash thought long and hard as he turned the Thunderstone in his hand. "Tintri? Do you want to evolve?"

He reared back in surprise as Tintri whacked the Thunderstone from his hands. [No!] Tintri screeched. [I don't want to change! I want to meet Raika as I am, and earn this victory for all Pikachus everywhere!]

Ash nodded. "Okay, then...I'll at least save this Thunderstone in case we find another Pokémon that wants to use it--or if you change your mind..." He let that hang as he stashed the stone in his bag...

---------

[I don't know, but I've been told...] a female Raichu sang to a sea of marching Pikachus as Ash, Misty, Brock, and Tintri arrived at Vermilion Gym the next morning.

[I don't know, but I've been told...] the Pikachus sang back.

[The very best get a badge of gold!] the Raichu sang again.

[The very best get a badge of gold!] the Pikachus sang back in reply as the Raichu's master, a blond haired soldier in combat fatigues, looked down on the sea of marching Pikachus.

"We must've walked in on morning maneuvers..." Misty mused as the soldier watched the parading Pikachu sing their cadence with a smile of approval.

Just then, the Raichu noticed the group. [Sir! A new challenger has arrived.] she reported to her master, sparking with excitement.

"I see that, Raika..." Lt. Surge smiled before addressing the Pikachus. "Company dismissed!" The Pikachus, relieved that they had passed their morning inspection, hurried off to different areas of the Gym to train.

Surge, meanwhile, arrived to meet the group at the Gym entrance. "Well! If it isn't Staff Sergent Brock and the dragon warrior Misty!" he smiled. "I take it you two are escorting this new recruit on his journey across Kanto?"

Ash wanted to retort that he was not a recruit, but an angry look from Misty made him reconsider. "I have not come to inspire the troops today sir--Ash wishes to challenge you for a Thunder Badge." Brock explained.

Lt. Surge looked Ash up and down, then eyed Tintri, who slunk back in fear at the blue eyed soldier's icy cold gaze. "You call that a worthy opponent for Raika? Only babies use Pikachus!"

Tintri began to spark angrily, but Ash calmly told the soldier before him. "Call me a baby if you must, but my Pikachu chose to remain this way. I will not force him to do anything he doesn't want to do."

Surge was unfazed. "Very well, then, maggot...you have until 1800 hours to attempt to open the way to the arena. Succeed, and you'll face Raika in battle. Fail, and you'll have to return to try again at 0700 hours. Your escorts are allowed to help you, but you have to find the two switches to unlock the door yourself."

Ash nodded as he tried oh so hard to suppress the angry tears welling up from inside him. "I accept your challenge, sir!"