1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Event Settling on a Region

Discussion in 'LV Fan Region: Meroi' started by BZRich64, Nov 9, 2020.

?

What Should the Basis of the Region Be?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2020.
  1. Great Lakes

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Middle East

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. West Coast

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Other (please specify in a post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    As stated in the announcement post, the first step in creating our new region is to decide what we want to base the region off of. This includes both geographically (what real-world locations we want to base it off of, or even make it from scratch) and what themes that we may want to incorporate into the region's design. We've already had a fair amount of discussion on this topic, so I'll go over some of the ideas that have already been suggested.
    • The American West Coast, focused on California and parts of the surrounding regions..
    • Base it off of a new legendary Pokémon. This would require designing that Pokémon first, however.
    • Have the whole region be Wippor.
    • The middle east, likely focused around Israel. This has probably been the most talked about option so far, with possible elements including having it be broken down into three 'regions' based off of Galilee, the Dead Sea and the Hula region, and could include the Mediterranean or Fertile Crescent. This could also extend to having multiple villainous groups each trying to use a different legendary Pokémon for their own ends, similar to the Magma/Aqua split in Hoenn.
    • A European country such as Germany or Switzerland.
    • MA giant corn maze in the American Midwest.
    • Georgia (the US state, not the country, though that could work too), incorporating the Appalachian mountains, the barrier islands and the Okefenokee Swamp.
    • Mexico.
    • India.
    • Canada.
    • Ireland.
    • A lakeside area such as the Great Lakes, Finland or the Caspian (this is the Great Lake Valor Region Creation Project, after all).
    • Just have the region straight up be Lake Valor in Sinnoh.
    • Justice vs. Vengeance
    • Technology/Progress
    • Safety vs. Freedom
    • Reaching for the Stars
    • Depths of the Heart
    • Wilderness Adventure
    • Standing Alone
    • Unity
    Now it's time to get the ball rolling with in-depth discussion on these possibilities (or any others you may think of) so that we can try to decide what to go with. Once we start to get to a general consensus (or at least narrow it down just a couple popular choices) then I will probably be adding a poll here to that we can decide what it is that we'll be going with and move on to actually designing the region and coming up with a good name for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  2. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I mean I came up with the West Coast and Technology vs. Nature ideas so I feel like I kinda have to stick with that. There's just so much there to pull from for cool diverse locations and Pokémon.

A northern European country like Germany could be really cool. We could maybe set it up as the opposite side of the war with Kalos in that region's lore, but I personally don't like forcing fan stuff into the main canon like that.

As much as I like the idea of an Ireland region, I can't help but wonder if it would be too similar to Galar geographically. I mean Ireland and the UK are about the same size and right next to each other irl, and have about the same climate. Although that could just be me not knowing anything about foreign cultures and such (part of the reason I'm pushing for West Coast so hard is because I know it).

I want to add again that I think the South as a whole would be better than just Georgia. Just a lot more to pull from for locales and Pokémon imo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,034.9
    I like the ideas of unity and reaching for the stars as a theme. Maybe the evil team (or multiple evil teams) try to divide the people, but in the end, the people (led by the heroes), unite to stop the evil team(s)?

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    im still gunning for the middle east locale bc i think we could do some fun stuff with that!! im not opposed to the west coast either but my only worry with that is the geography itself bc its just a coast line of land and i have no idea how that would work apart from a very linear journey

Flyg0n likes this.
  5. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Looking at it from a map, you have a point. But the area actually does have a tone of different environments. There are a bunch of national parks, completely different climates in the north and south, the potential for a big desert with Nevada, etc.

For comparison, just look at Galar. Looking at it from afar, it seems pretty linear too. You travel from south to north throughout the game. But it isn't just a straight path. You branch off and backtrack quite a bit, which helps make it not feel as linear as it would seem. The same can be done for this.

WavePearl likes this.
  6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,366.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Maybe there could be islands or anything incorporated in? I don't know America that well but that place has got to have at least some small islands.
    I feel like this could be a cool chance to show off a region that's further from the other currently canon regions. My vote would be for Mexico (I know one person on here might be able to help with that if he were around) or India (we can also take history from Galar here as well, considering Copperajah), seeing as the only Asian regions covered were all in Japan and no Latin American countries have been covered. I've mentioned before how much i like the idea of the Middleeast, too.
    Also having the region just be Lake Valor was a joke asjfkjskd-

#6 Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Jupjami likes this.
  7. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Hm, I like the idea to base it off of Israel. The idea of dividing our region into three "regions" sounds cool.
    We can have three different legendary Pokémon for those three regions.
    We can give like a superior quality to the three regions that the other ones don't have. Like, most fertile agriculture land, most variety of Pokémon, most technology progress, most um discovered ancient fossils, etc.

Jupjami, ShinigamiMiroku and SAF like this.
  8. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    The more I think about using Israel (or that area of the world) as the basis for our region, the more appealing it sounds to me. There's plenty of interesting stuff you could do there.

Going off of that, I've been tossing around an idea for a history of sorts for the region, and it's based on one idea: What if, instead of having 3 different legendary Pokémon that our potentially-villainous organizations follow, there was only 1, but each organization had a very different interpretation of it? For some context here, the deity that Christianity, Islam, and Judaism all worship is essentially the same entity (as far as I understand, and I have looked into this a little bit), but the religions themselves are so different that one could interpret those deities as being different.

In our case, our region's history might go something like this: In the ancient past, the settlers of the region had an encounter with a legendary Pokémon. The details of this encounter aren't particularly important right now. Naturally, these people would pass the story of this encounter down through the generations. As the people spread out and the region grew, however, this story shifts and evolves, and by the time anything gets written down, 3 main versions of the story emerge. Each version describes the legendary Pokémon differently (to the point where it seems like there's 3 distinctly different Pokémon) and has a group of people who take it as the truth. These groups of people go on to establish 3 organizations (not all of which are necessarily villainous) within the region. This could also play into how the region is divided.

Flyg0n, Jupjami and WavePearl like this.
  9. BZRich64

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I know, but I decided to include the joke suggestions for fun.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  10. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Drew a very rough draft of a map for a West Coast region just to figure out how to make it more interesting from afar.

[​IMG]

The squiggles on the left is ocean.
    The lines on the right is desert.
    The triangles in the upper right are mountains.
    The random line cutting through the middle is a river.
    Cities just have the irl names right now because naming isn't important yet.

To get around the problem of the area just being a long curved line irl, I made the San Fransisco Bay-inspired area very prominent, which also incorporates the idea of having a large lake in the middle (I know it's a bay and not a lake but close enough).

11. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    @ID Zeta

I really really like this idea, especially of the people having three different intepretations of the same Pokémon
    It would be fascinating if the legendary can type swap too somehow

Although the west coast sounds very cool too.

I think those two are the prime contendors.

12. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    From the depths of the abyss I rise and to the depths of the abyss I one day will return. I have woken up from my 1000-year slumber to deliver word of West America.

California alone has so much sauce. Silicon Valley, Hollywood (POKESTAR STUDIOS 2 BABYYYYYY), Alcatraz, hell, we could probably do something with Disneyland if we wanted to. And then you get to all the other western states you could work with and it's just...so much.

As for theming, I'm here to preach the word of Order VS Chaos. A sort of Magma VS Aqua situation for the teams most likely, with Order taking the order thing a bit far, and Chaos...wanting to fuck shit up in general.

This might also be the character designer inside me talking, but oh god imagine the cool character designs. I already have some great ideas for Team Chaos.

I'm giving the leader explosives and nobody can stop me. They're gonna have to glue you back together in the distortion world!

ChocoChicken and Captain Comet like this.
  13. BZRich64

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I've added a poll to this thread with what seem to be the three most popular choices for geographical location. Please select one, or elaborate why you think we should go with somewhere else. For the record, I will not be participating in this poll and likely won't be for future polls, either. I'm also not sure how long I'm going to keep this poll open, but probably for at least a few days to try and give everyone a chance to vote.

14. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,367.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Going for my initial suggestion of the great lakes/a very large central lake to the region. I think it would help the region stand out from the look of others and be on theme with the site and all that. Plus I have always wanted to play around with a proper wilderness theme and that seems like a nice place to start. Also I want seasons again :D

HeroofFire101 likes this.
  15. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,366.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Great Lakes seems to be the most popular choice. Are there any themes or overarching things we could tie in to that so far?

16. BZRich64

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I've set the poll to automatically close in two days. Whichever area has the most votes at the end of that time will be the basis for our region, so make sure to vote for the area you want us to use! The Great Lakes took a surprise lead at first even though there had been so little discussion about them that I almost didn't bother putting them in the poll at all. While they're still in the lead, the Great Lakes also haven't had any new votes in a while which has allowed the other two options to almost catch up to it. At this point its anyone's guess which area will win.
    After the final results of the poll come in, I'm going to open a new thread where we can really get into designing the region itself. This will mostly entail in-depth discussion about what we want to include in the region to start with (including settling on the theme), though will also include aspects such as coming up with early ideas for towns and important landmarks, designing early concept maps, and start talking about what the name should be.

ChocoChicken and DuoM2 like this.
  17. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Okay so a new idea has arisen that I'm putting to West Coast. This idea came up on the Discor while discussing the Great Lakes region, but personally I think it would fit better for the West Coast.

Cryptid mons. These would probably another smaller group of legendaries akon to the Ultra Beasts that you would have to actively go out and hunt for. This could be a whole endeavor in and of itself like the Dynamax Adventures in Crown Tundra or maybe something simpler like the wormhole minigame in USUM. I think this idea would work better in the West Coast region because Bigfoot supposedly resides in the Pacific Northwest. Can anyone who doesn't live there name a cryptid native to the Great Lakes area off the top of their head? We could also maybe group the possible Area 51 location in this and have one (or more) of them be aliens. Actually now that I think about it we could just throw the Ultra Beasts in there for that...

Anyway, that's it. Liked the idea and wanted to put it here. This doesn't have to be for the West Coast specifically either, I just think it makes the most sense there.

18. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,367.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Being from the canada side of things, its mostly lake dwelling serpents but could easily expand to things like the jersey devil or even mothman for being east coast cryptids.

19. Captain Comet

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,577.4
    Okay so I can up with a brilliant idea for a theme. I just kind of said it in Discord without any context or explanation.

PIRATES!

Let's lean really hard into a pirate theme for this region. I mean we're going to have at least one large body of water no matter what, so why not make that a very central part of the story and have the main evil team be a crew of pirates that have been raiding the various towns?

We could even still use the Order vs Chaos theme in the form of a large organization (or just the government) going way out of line trying to prevent pirate raids.

The only name I've come up with for this pirate crew so far is Team Plunder, which isn't bad but definitely could be better. I also just want to name the captain (admin) Ricardo for some reason.

We could even make some pirate-theme Pokémon to go along with it!

Okay that ends my rambling. I'ma go brainstorm a frigate bird Pokémon now.

20. BZRich64

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    The poll has officially closed and it looks like our region will be based off of the Great Lakes region of North America! I'll try to get the next thread up sometime tomorrow (or later today, depending on your time zone) so that we can start planning out the region.

DuoM2 and ChocoChicken like this.