1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Smash The Hero banning discussion (competitive Smash Bros.)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vaquero, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Let’s be respectful. I’ll have this removed if the discussion gets out fo hand.

Here’s a video if you at unfamiliar with him (Sakurai didn’t say everything he could do however and stuff is still being discovered by the community rn):

I believe hero should be banned from competitive play. I know that sounds immature and silly but I have my points:

- hit boxes he has can take up half of the stage (example: his giant vortex of death is like a weak final smash)

- he wracks up more damage than heavies can with little to no effort

- he doesn’t have to rely only on rng when he has other specials that are similar to others but are just so much more powerful

- rng moves he has are like playing against spirits

- rng wins will not be received well. As much as people don’t want to see Leo just dominate every tournament, people also don’t want to see the tournament be won by taking skill out of the equation with thwack or a roll read that kills at 20 because of rng.

- Down b can eliminate play from both sides and make the game look like a joke

-comparing rng to Luigi and GW is not even an argument as they don’t rely on rng to win and their hit boxes are reasonable.

I’m sorry. But I think this character really should be banned. I know it’s early but this character is just not fit for competitive play. I know he’s unique and represents a important franchise but that doesn’t excuse him from being built as if Sakurai had similar intentions with this character like he had for Brawl.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I admit, I don't really follow competitive Smash stuff, but if Hero has only just been introduced and there's already controversy about whether or not he should be banned, then I think he should be banned. People get better at characters the more experience they have with them. Hero has been available for such a short amount of time, and yet there's already talk about how unfair he is. It's going to be a disaster when people master Hero. But, again, this is from someone who can barely qualify as an amateur player.

3. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Even someone who’s an amateur but has seen most of the cast would look at hero and see that “hey, that doesn’t look right”

I know it’s a new character but man, he doesn’t look right.

4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,422.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Joker and Piranha Plant were pretty close to OP when they came out, and consequently got nerfed. Hero may be a HECKIN CRAP EXPLOSIVE TON stronger, but remember, nerfs exist and I am 50% sure he will be nerfed into the ninth layer of "F-Rank" once Nintendo realizes what they've created. If we do ban him, he may eventually get nerfed and people can un-ban him if necessary.
    I saw someone say "just dodge", but that's unfair. We don't have to "just dodge" for Mario, we don't have to "just dodge" for Simon, we don't have to "just dodge" for Dedede, why do it for Hero?
    I really hope this doesn't become another Brawl Meta Knight problem. The last thing I want is a character so broken they can beat literally anything.
    Also, the MP meter as it stands could be the only thing standing in the way of Hero and literally anything, so if they ramp up the cost of spells and make MP really hard to regenerate that could be a suitable nerf, because he would nearly never have any MP to use spells on and would have way too much lag room where most of his moveset is locked away, forcing Hero mains to play much more defensively so he isn't stuck in a bad position while really low on MP. Remove some of the OHKO moves of course. Then we nerf the basic sword so the MP recovery is even worse and maybe that will be nerfed enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Plant didn’t really look like he was gonna be a good character though. He was just really annoying. He looked really gimmicky and overall he just isn’t very good right now.

Joker is broken and is one of the best characters in the game (I personally thought he was the best character)

But both characters looked like they would work in s fighting game.

Hero is just a mess and needs to be reworked without massive hit boxes, damage, and being compete rng to use.

6. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I am no competitive master, but I have seen what he can do and I believe that we should hold off on banning him for a while longer, for a few main reasons.

1. It would be the first character ban across the board in Smash history, as far as I am aware, which would set a precedent for future bans, which may go out of hand or result in Smogon-esque tier systems further down the line, which I find would not work well for the Smash community.
    2. It's too early to have discovered counterplay. At the start, everyone thought King K. Cool would be broken, but he ended up being one of the worst heavy characters in the game competitively, despite super armor, powerful attacks, and two decent projectiles. I'm not saying Hero will be the same, but we haven't discovered where his biggest weaknesses lie.
    3. The Down Special, while powerful and crazy with RNG, also takes a while to use, and can be messed up if you rush it. Competitive players have to rely on quick thinking and reflexes, and the legal stages are all small enough that unless you are edge guarding, you will almost never get to use Down Special. This plus the fact that it isn't one command per move, and the user has to pay attention to the option chosen and their opponent, and it makes a busted move much more manageable. Except Accelerate. Ban that.
    4. Smash 4 Bayonetta and Brawl Meta Knight were worse in their prime. They weren't banned, so Hero shouldn't either, unless we are redefining what 'broken' means.

I do agree however, that Hero has a lot of good moves, and that there are several things that should be nerfed slightly, such as the frequency and potency of critical hits, MP regeneration upon landing attacks (passive rate is fine IMO), and either the power of his Smash Attacks or the power and range of fully charged Side Special. I think this would make him a high mid tier level character, as opposed to the low top tier that I think he is now.

For now, let's wait and see how the metagame shifts, what rises to counter Hero, and only ban Hero if only it, its counters, and counters to those counters dominate: in other words, if it defines the meta.

7. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    With king k Rool, people thought he was going to be the best heavy. Many did over react to him because of a few reasons:

- a lot of new players just love to push those buttons and k Rool can counter that because of his armor and projectiles. Heavies normally are what give new players trouble because they aren’t used to performing combos and don’t have fast enough reflexes to keep heavies in the air.

- I’ve seen some top players also say he was going to be really bad. Others have also said that he was just going to be the best heavy hr did not say he was going to be good.

I didn’t buy into that. I thought k Rool was going to be fun and stylish but heavies can’t really seem to be top tier or high tier. I’ve never believed heavies could be really good because they have such glaring weaknesses. Snake was the only one who was ever top tier but he was actually just half baked with hit boxes that weren’t very fair (his up tilt was like a foot bigger than the characters leg) even then, snake started to decline in brawl and he isn’t even a super heavy anymore. The closest thing we have to that is bowser and I think it’s mostly because of bowser being a good heavy but also mu inexperience from other players.

And for your second point: there can be counter play. The problem with hero is that he’s not built for a competitive scene. He’s like a character with spirits and items (aka, illegal in comp). His entire character would have to be reworked and the dev team is not going to do that. So it’s better to ban him for serious events.

Also, for the bayo and mk point: they look like fighting game characters that don’t have RNG as 70% of their kit and their hit boxes don’t take up half the stage. They could wrack up damage quickly but they’d at least have to perform a combo unlike hero with moves that are as big as bowser and do 50 damage. (He has smash charge shot and pika thunder on steroids)

8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,422.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Pardon me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure Brawl Meta was banned, wasn’t he?

9. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    He was allowed to my knowledge. There were people who were the best MK in their regions

10. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I get what you mean with the heavyweight point, but that's not what I was trying to say. I meant that there hasn't been enough time to learn how to master the character and the matchup against the character, and thus should not be banned until we know for certain that it is unhealthy for the meta. In other words, don't be hasty in making a decision.

I would disagree with the point that he is not built for competitive play. It's not like you Spam one button and instantly win. I disagree with the spirit/item thing because it is not an accurate comparison. Spirits buff offense and defense stats and occasionally give special boosts to movement or an immunity. Hero is just as frail as any other character, and has some moves more powerful than others. The only thing even upsetting people is the variety in his special moves, which are, in fact, moves, with startup and end lag, the ability to dodge or shield, and even have a limit to how much they can be used. He does look like a fighting game character to me, and while powerful, doesn't deserve to be banned based on a single week of prevalence.

Finally, 70% is a HUGE exaggeration. He has two functions based on RNG. Critical hits, which while I believe should be nerfed, don't make the character broken or uncompetitive, and the Down Special options, which are able to be countered and chosen between. In many ways, the down special is like the Monado Arts, except randomly selected options. Not uncompetitive any more than low accuracy moves in Pokémon, or chances to inflict status conditions.

11. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    There are times when hasty decision making could’ve saved a game like banning bayo and mk since they kinda ruined the game with how un fair they were. But we didn’t and they ended becoming plaques in there respective games.

Hero can turn giant though, which is like getting a spirit or item buff. But I’m making that comparison because the range of some of his attacks are absurd. I was exaggerating with the 70% but I still stand by rng being most of the characters gimmick.

You also can’t compare a platform based fighter to Pokémon. Big moves, status, and low accuracy don’t look so out of place. But in smash hero has moves bigger than some characters. That visually doesn’t look ok compared to every other character in the game. You can’t tell me that magic burst looks completely compared to other characters in a competitive environment. The move covers all three platforms of battle field.

you can’t compare stuff such as status and low accuracy in a platform based fighter. Only a very small amount of characters can do that and they aren’t long lasting. RNG being a huge part of a move set is not skill based and can kill the competitive aspect of the game because it’s luck vs skill which doesn’t mix. His RNG isn’t even that risky. He can make a simple roll read and kill someone at 30 because he got lucky. But even if he only gets the normal hit, it’s still a good punish because every character can do it and benefit off of it. But if GW makes a roll read with judgement hammer he will not always benefit and will get punished if he gets the absolute useless aspect of the move. (That’s rng dome right. It’s high risk high reward and it’s only one part of the character that doesn’t make up the entire characters gimmick)

I don’t want him banned to the point of unusable. I want him reworked to be less ridiculous and more consistent than the mess of character we have here

12. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,177.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I haven’t really been keeping up with smash ultimate that much, but I just watched hero’s announcement thing and I just wanted to say his down special is ridiculously strong. I mean, a nuke that takes up half the stage? Who thought that would be balanced? The whole rng thing might be a bit broken in my casual player eyes since you could just keep resetting the list of spells until you got what you wanted. Idk, I guess I’m complaining since I won’t be able to get the dlc with hero.

(and this has nothing to do with hero but are we not gonna talk about sakurai using 2 controllers at a time?)

13. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Alright, so here's my two cents on why Hero should NOT be banned, or at least not yet -

The main factor calling to him being banned is the RNG aspect, and it'd be kinda stupid for me to say that Hero isn't heavily RNG-based between Down B as a move and the crit Smash attacks. People who do say that these two things break Hero are kind of ignoring his biggest flaws. Although some of them are good, a lot of his normals are very lacking in a lot of areas, and he doesn't do very well against rushdown, although I think his specials could end up helping with that to an extent. I don't feel like he's an overpowered character, but that's kind of against the point.

I feel like most people arguing for Hero's ban say that he should be banned for being uncompetitive because of the RNG elements. I don't entirely disagree with that, but I feel like people could be looking at this better. Not every Smash Attack is gonna be a crit, and not every Down B is gonna pull Magic Burst. Magic Burst specifically has only a 1% chance of being pulled so I doubt it'll be reliable, but the crits have a 12.5% chance of happening, so let's focus on those.

I feel like crits are something people just need to respect more. Much like how Meta Knight dash attack can lead to death at 12%, and much like Luigi grab can lead to death at 0%, Hero smash attacks can lead to death at 20% or whatever percent it is. I'm not trying to argue that Luigi or Meta Knight are well-designed characters, just that they're not banworthy. Top-level Pokémon players do this as well: they assume that every crucial High Jump Kick they use will miss, every Scald used against them will burn, and every Dark Pulse against them will flinch. They always keep their head in the game and think of alternatives in case the worst happens, and although Smash is different, my point is that we should just change our mindsets for this.

On top of this, I don't feel like we should be talking about a ban less than a week into this. I think that the biggest comparison for me is with Meta Knight. On top of the "killing at an extremely low percent" aspect, people were calling for Meta Knight to be banned a week into Smash Ultimate. This is because a Meta Knight labber named Glacey had shown all of the interesting changes that Meta Knight had gotten in Ultimate before the game even came out thanks to the early copies from Mexico, between things like a changed Up Air and a Neutral B that's actually a viable kill option off the side. Had we banned Meta Knight, we may have never known him for the Mid Tier that we know him for now. People would have stopped playing him at a high level because of the ban altogether, leaving the character completely unexplored until some inevitable nerf would have come around that allowed him back into the scene and he ended up being bottom tier. There were a lot of people actively against banning Meta Knight then just as there are now in this case.

A final thing I want to note that doesn't really apply to the rest of my argument is that banning a character really should be a last resort if they completely ruin the competitive game and make many otherwise decent characters unviable, which isn't the case here. There are many people out there who were dying for a Dragon Quest representative in Smash, there are many people out there who absolutely love Hero's gameplay design, and there are many people who haven't had a character click with them like Hero. If people like any of those want to get into competitive Smash, then that's a big turnoff for anyone who wants to join the scene.

Say what you will about whether or not you like the character, but I do not think Hero should be banned. If he ends up being a big issue after all then we can address that later, but for the reasons I've stated I don't think that will be necessary.

14. Vaquero

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    While crits won’t always hit and he won’t always get his really stupid moves, the fact that they have a possibility of coming is the issue here. You can’t counter a crit once you get hit by it. There’s no counter play to RNG it’s just don’t touch the character and play hyper defensive. Comparing Luigi and mega knight zero to deaths vs RNG is not the same thing. People have already made comparisons to other character with one rng based move and say it's the same thing. However, it’s not. Reason being is because the RNG really doesn’t give them the win. 9 is just not on the same level as hero’s stuff as it just has a chance of severely hurting GW while hero either can get a normal punish or just refresh the cycle/ use what he has.

Hocus pocus can hurt him but the fact that he can turn giant (a power up similar to an item) is not okay in a competitive setting. I might as well be turning items on at that point for how obnoxiously casual that is. Imagine paying to get into a tournament only to lose to hero getting lucky by being giant with a critical. That’s not okay. That’s complete utter BS that does not belong in comp. no other character can do that besides hero. GW is not comparable because RNG does not make up his entire character. It’s one risky move.

Hero can just kill the aspect of skill based competition because he’s so RNG. It’s not even about him being good it’s just the way his character is designed is not built for a serious environment.

It also doesn’t matter how people wanted hero. If he kills the competitive aspect of the game, he’ll ruin the competitive scene for this game.

I hate being this negative towards such an important character for the east but he deserves to be banned before he gets ingrained to the point of making it difficult or impossible to get him out if he ends being really harmful to the comp scene.

15. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    I'm going to go down all of these segment-by-segment...

It's not the same but it's similar enough to the point where it can easly be applied here. In those first few sentences you can replace "crit" with "Meta Knight Dash Attack" or "Luigi Grab" and it still applies there. You are in a good position, then you get hit by one move and everything can spiral downhill from there. Only difference is that you can practice with Meta Knight Dash Attack or Luigi Grab and get consistent with both, as well as both being much better moves on their own.

I don't feel like this is aimed at me so I'm going to skip over this part, but if it is...

I never mentioned either of those. People who say Judge Hammer or Turnip or Misfire are all on the same level of Hero are straight-up wrong, but I've never mentioned that.

We don't know if top level players would even do this. I know I just said not to compare these two, the difference here is that it's whether or not they use one move as opposed to the entire character, Game and Watch players never go for the raw Judge Hammer to try and fish for the 9 unless it's completely safe to do so, like out of a Nair. Elegant never goes for a Misfire unless he knows that standard Green Missile will still hit anyways. It's pretty rare for a top player to make a risk like that. Would Hocus Pocus change this? I don't know, which is why I said it's worth testing. If it proves to be an issue we can ban it.

A big part of my last post was saying that there are ways to play around all of his moves. I'm not going to reiterate that, but as a quick tl;dr, you can avoid his Smash Attacks just as you would avoid any kill option from any character that relies on early kills out of combos.

That's a big if though. If he kills the game, then sure, we can ban him. But we shouldn't be so quick to do so.

Same thing as the last part- that's a big "if." If he proves to be a huge issue, we can ban him, never said that was off the table. But there are a lot of characters that are uncompetitive in a different way in this game...Luigi 0-to-deaths still exist, Meta Knight ladders and bridges still exist, Mario ladders still exist, Wario waft setups are much easier to do than in Smash 4 since Wario is a stronger character overall, Peach and Ice Climbers both have many many 0-to-deaths off of many moves in their kits, and Hero has crits. There are moves that start all of those, and those are just things that each player has to respect. This is a point that I feel like you kind of avoided in this post as a whole, and it's pretty important here.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  16. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I will admit that playing Hero is very annoying. Playing against Hero pretty much turns into a game of chance. Critical hits are obnoxious and they happen way too frequently (I always see them at least once per game), has projectiles that kill way too early, amazing shield break material if you know what spells to use, and if your opponent is exceptionally lucky he can potentially kill you at 0% without you being able to retaliate against it in any way. Not to mention that you can get MP back at a breakneck pace so it's not like using the MP constantly is really hurting him.

There is no way to combat luck at all.

Though I say no to banning Hero. Why? Only because he hasn't been released for long and people thought King K Rool was busted at first, but he ended up being a low-tier character in a lot of peoples eyes. I say we give it 2-4 weeks and if Hero is still viewed the way he is now with all the negative reception then we should go ahead and ban him for now.

#16 Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  17. TalkingToMazelf

Smugleaf
    (Snivy)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Great Ball ★★
    Exactly my point. Soon enough, people will find exploits against the character, and will see if it's enough to determine if he's broken or not. Plus, there's always patches that can nerf the character, considering that the game is still in its early life. I'm sure we're not gonna get another Brawl Meta Knight or Smash 4 Bayonetta.

18. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I've been observing the Hero discussion from afar, but this is basically how I feel:

- I've seen remarks on the language barrier in tournaments with players not being able to identify which down-special a player of another language will use. This is a valid argument and I see a lot of merit in this.
    - Hero hasn't been winning tournaments yet, although he could eventually. I do think he could be the best character in the game and has a ton of broken moves, but we haven't seen that success fully translate. I think if we keep him, he will ultimately be banned if he remains in his current state, but I don't think there is enough out there to fully justify the ban YET.