1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

1x1 The Quest - Eclipse and Marine

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by Morgaine, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    "Humans can be a bit stubborn. Usually, it leads to their death, but I doubt that you would really care about how stupid people can be. I mean one time one of the trainees almost ran right into my sword, so I really have no idea." Sariah shrugged before she went around the bent and saw her horse nibbling on a dry bush.

"Yes, Blights are usually a thing and Blight was a little monster until I managed to tame him. Hey, there buddy, time to head back to the village and get you a good night's rest." She whispered as she took the reins of her horse in her hand and turned to Skyswift. She watched as a boulder blocked the entrance of the cave that she had been in just a while again and sighed. Sariah had a bit of trouble understanding just how she had walked out of the cave with a new dragon ally instead of having ended up as lunch or worse, just a snack. She listened to the dragon as it was musing about a new name to hide its identity and she snorted as it asked if humans have trouble choosing names for themselves as well. She shook her head.

"Not really. Names and titles are usually bestowed on us. My parents decided on mine." Sariah commented before she tilted her head in thought. "No, my mother actually decided on mine. She threatened my father with something to be allowed to name me. But in general, we are stuck with the name we get from our parents."

"Wynn, huh? It is not a common name for sure, but it should be enough to blend in with the common people if we pretend you are a traveler. I think it will be fine." Sariah gave Wynn a soft smile in approval.

"Are you ready to go? It should only be around two hours to get back to the village as I am sure you would know, but it will be almost dark by then." The female knight tugged on Blight's reins and started walking down the road, not waiting to see if Wynn was following.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    "It must feel awkward if your parents grant you a name you aren't really attached to," the newly christened Wynn noted, already trying to understand the process that went into naming. "Do you like your name? I hope you like your name. It seems like a nice name, to me at least. And...if you think the name is fine, I will use that." It offered a timid thumbs-up in response.

"I'm ready to go," Wynn answered Sariah's last question, taking a few rather large strides, outpacing Sariah and her horse...before tripping forward, head over shoulders, and landing face-first in the dirt. It lifted its neck up slightly, enough that its eyes could at least be seen, not just the hat. "I am not used to this body. I forgot that I'm smaller now."

Wynn got up, turned around to face Sariah, and dusted itself off thoroughly before glancing at her facial expression. Wynn then gave a request, though the tone made it sound more like an order: "Don't you dare giggle. If anybody asks, that never happened."

3. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    "My name is just fine. We usually get attached to our names fairly quickly, and you are rambling." Sariah smothered a laugh as she listened to the rather excitable dragon. When the dragon face planted on the ground, she had to bite on her lip to make sure there wouldn't be any sounds to escape. It took a few seconds for her to regain her posture enough so she could speak.

"Down the hill, you are better off taking smaller steps and leaning a bit backward to avoid toppling forward." She advised. Looking at the dragon dusting itself off, she had to hide her face in Blight's neck, so afraid was she that she was going to laugh out loud.

After the small incident, the two travelers made their way down the mountain.

4. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It was so strange to Wynn having to go down this mountain road as a human. All of the small steps, the bizarre nooks, the sharp corners... it had used the power of the wind to shape them all to keep people away, and now it was learning exactly what it had created, by being forced to travel its own maze. Thankfully going down was easier than going up, but if the initial pratfall was any indication, it would not be able to make this journey quickly.

Sariah's advice helped wonderfully, though. Finding the centre of gravity was what became the challenge here, and after that it could breathe easily. In its enthusiasm, Wynn skipped ahead a few steps of Sariah multiple times, and had to halt while she and her horse caught up.

"So, the road we'll be using..." Wynn asked as they were nearing the bottom, "is it safe? Is it a road travellers often use, or is it left to its own devices? Are there brigands in the area? You said it would be...two hours? That's on foot, right? Will we get to a village before sundown?" It had a lot more questions besides, but...put the most important questions first, Wynn. Get to the particulars later. What it wanted to know most of all is if there would be a need to fight at a moment's notice. Yes, Wynn was ready, but being tense at all times took energy. The less conflict, the better - especially since it no longer knew its own strength.

5. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    "This road is amongst the safer ones. Probably because the village is not that wealthy and there aren't a lot of travelers for bandits or brigands to attack and rob. When we get to the bigger and more used roads, the danger will be substantial sometimes. The brigands often don't attack knights wearing the sigil of Albion, but better to be safe than sorry and make sure you keep an eye on your surroundings. If they attack they will do it with all their might. Often they are desperate and have nothing to lose." Sariah cautioned as she led Blight down the slope. It was one of the steeper ones and she had to brace herself a bit as she slid down.

"Yes, the time will be around two hours on foot. A bit longer than that Blight took to get up to the last clearing. We had to go slow because *someone* decided it was a good idea to shape the mountain like this." She waved her hand at the crevices in the ground and sighed.

"And yes, we should be there before sundown. The inn should be open for business still so we can rest up for the day and get you a horse tomorrow. By the way, have you ever ridden a horse before?" Sariah asked Wynn, one eyebrow arched as she looked at the dragon turned human with a bit of a skeptical look in her eyes.

6. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    "Hey now, in my defence, I shaped it like that for the express purpose of keeping visitors away without having to resort to scare tactics," Wynn pouted. "You just wouldn't give up until you got an audience for me. Though..." Wynn averted its eyes away from Sariah, a little bashful. "...though you did tell me about that troublemaker. I can't let that slide."

"Have I...ridden a horse before?" Wynn asked. "Not really, no. Anywhere I needed to go to, I would get there on foot or just fly there. But riding on horseback can't be that bad, can it? You make it look so easy. I don't mind walking, though. But, now that I think about it... I bet I could beat your horse in a foot race. Might make the walk to the inn more interesting, right?" A sneaky smile spread across Wynn's face, intrigued by the prospect of a challenge. Dragons are known for their pride, after all, and to them, a contest is an obstacle to be overcome.

"What do you say? I'll let you pick the terms."

7. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Sariah gave Wyn a "duh" look in response to the comment that she wouldn't have left the dragon alone. She was a knight of the realm and it was her duty to assist those that needed it, be it peasant or the king himself. Her expression changed as she listened to the dragon proposing a challenge. The knight wasn't very keen on a race and she told the dragon exactly why.

"I am not risking my horse on the mountain slopes, thank you very much." Sariah reacted, a bit irritated. "If he sprains something, or gods forbid breaks a leg, he will have to be either left behind or be killed. If you want to race it will be on the open plains where he can run without me being worried that he will break something if he trips."

She ran a hand through her bangs as she remembered her comrade's horse, a proud warhorse. Only the horse broke his leg when it had stepped in a hole. The deathblow had been dealt soon after they concluded that the horse had broken its left front leg. She quickly changed the subject to the

"Of course, I would make it look easy. I have been riding for years now. Once you get taught how to ride properly and maintain the skill it is hard to make it look like you are an idiot. And you are going to be very sore the first few days or even weeks. Horse riding is not the same as walking or flying." She stated as she went around a corner in the path, still leading her horse by the reins.

"Actually, you could try it out by riding on Blight down the mountain. It would give you a chance to practice." She suggested as she looked back at Wynn.

8. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    "Oh no, I didn't mean a footrace on the slopes," Wynn agreed. "That wouldn't be fair at all. I can see your steed is walking very cautiously as it is. I meant when we get to the foot of the mountain, then we can race. Besides, you can't exactly run up here. I know." Wynn didn't smile, though a small flicker of pride danced across its face at the last remark.

"Wait, you... you're letting me practise... on your horse?" Wynn looked really confused, not expecting that sort of offer at all - and unsure that Sariah was sincere, it was slightly wary. "This isn't a trick to make me fall forward into the dust again, is it?" It started watching for a change in Sariah's expression, like if she was trying to suppress yet another bout of laughter. Wynn didn't see the first time, perhaps to spare it further shame - though now it would see what Sariah was thinking.

The mention of being sore for several days made Wynn rather concerned. That concept was not something it had ever experienced, as it had never needed to. Walking around like this was already weird enough; the movements were basically the same, but the shapes and the muscles were all so different. And now to add a challenge on top of that, something that even humans found strenuous to start with... Was this what they called a 'trial by fire'?

"Then again..." Wynn mumbled, thinking aloud and hanging its head, "archery makes one's arms and fingers sore for weeks and I had to learn that...and I'm good at that, so it might not be as bad as I'm imagining."

Wynn then jolted its head up suddenly. "Oh, um, did you hear any of that?" And gave a rather uneasy laugh. "Ha...ahaha...haha..." And tugged its cap down over its face.

9. Morgaine

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    "Let's just pretend I didn't make the offer because the way you are Blight would just buck you off and you be lying in the dust either way. We will need a very gentle mare for you." Sariah rolled her eyes, hiding her smile.

"And yes, riding requires you to hold a strangish posture for a longer period of time, so getting stiff and sore is not uncommon at all," Sariah informed Wynn before she looked at the sun to gauge how much time had passed. She was so glad that she had been paying attention to the tutors that taught survival training. Her fellow recruits had just thought it to be funny, but not all that interesting, but Sariah had quickly learned that it was very valuable knowledge.

They should be at the foot of the mountain in another ten minutes or so.

10. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    (She's teasing me. She's teasing me! Teasing me, the Storm Sovereign!) thought Wynn, a little distressed that Sariah was poking fun every chance she could. Were all humans like this or was it just her? Then again, not many could brag about having met a dragon on amicable terms, and certainly not with an arrangement quite like this one. Maybe that was why she was teasing, so she could brag to all her friends later. How...embarrassing. A quest to clear one's own name might end up turning into mockery by a little girl.

...well, 'little girl' by dragon standards, anyway.

"Well, it's not midday anymore, at least," Wynn noted. "I can feel myself cooling down already. It's nice to stay indoors when the sun is highest in the sky. If you arrived here in the morning I'd probably be miserable. ...While I'm thinking about it, you did say you came here alone, right? Why would you come up here by yourself without any help? Were you told to go here? ...Or is this one of those 'pride' things I've heard about?"

There was a tinge of hypocrisy in the last set of words spoken, as dragons value their pride highly and Wynn was losing more of it by the second around Sariah, though it apparently didn't notice the contradiction in its own words. Either it wasn't thinking about it or it thought it was an exception of some kind. ...At least there was the foot race to look forward to.