1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is a man?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    What are your thoughts on the human race? Are we masters of this planet that we inhabit, or just the currently dominant species, destined for extinction like those that we believe came before us? Are we a compassionate race, filled with love and hope, or a destructive and violent people? Is our society a great and enlightened one, or a flawed and corrupt one? Is the truth somewhere in between?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Absolute Zero likes this.
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    inb4 'a miserable pile of secrets'

As a Christian, I believe that human beings were made in imago Dei - the image of God - as the crowning part of the creation that God said was 'very good'. With that image comes all of the good things that we associate with 'good deeds' such as caring for those less fortunate, seeking to live in peace, and the placing of others above the self. In addition, I also believe that, due to Adam's and Eve's decision to try to decide right from wrong on their own - in essence, attempting to be their own god - humanity has a sinful nature that is part and parcel to the current condition of nature, subject to self-centered decisions rather than God-centered ones (which, again, would place the welfare of others above the self) that will die out when either the body reaches the end of its lifespan or the universe itself does (due to the law of entropy as part of the Laws of Thermodynamics, which is observable in all parts of nature, from the largest of stars to the smallest of atomic particles); this sinful nature corrupts even the most charitable of actions by hiding a selfish motive behind it, one that some are incapable of even seeing, let alone changing without the saving work of Jesus Christ on the Cross and in the Empty Grave, as well as the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.

I put them under a spoiler tag because I don't want to cause any arguments, as the Christian worldview so often causes, so whoever wants to read it can open it, and those who don't have no need to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Absolute Zero likes this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I think humans are largely a product of the society they're brought up and live in. We in the west have it especially hard, western society is very "me first" and selfish, where one's inherent worth isn't seen, but rather has to be proven. One where people are fatally greedy and work only for their own goals. Why else do you think the elderly, the sick, the disabled, and children are treated so poorly? Because they can't serve others, so they have their lives controlled so they make minimum impact, it's really sad.

4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I think bandwagoning and an inability to compromise on anything is the root cause for many of the world’s problems. People seem to be afraid of opposing ideas and it has backfired for countless centuries. If we tried to teach young children in school about how to properly share ideas with others, I think the world would be a much better place.

5. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    In truth, to say I have no opinion can't be further from the truth. I believe humans are doomed to become extinct some time in the next couple thousand years. I've recently been looking into some science about why we can't find life in outer space, save for some bacteria and tardigrades, and I believe that we may end up the same way they did: extinct. We may be a dominant species, but humans are still animals (from my point of view). We will die out if we don't somehow find a way to pass the wall that will destroy us.
    But... I do believe humans are both good and bad. I understand that good and bad are based on opinions and standpoint, but I believe that both of them exist in a perfect harmony. We're beautiful, but graceless at the same time. We are humans, but that's not all we're meant to be... for now.

6. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have a background in both Physics and Astronomy. To that end, I've seen two very different views of humanity. One, I've seen humanities mastery of nature, our control and grip on the planet. We have the power to change everything on the planet to suite our needs and almost nothing can stop our might. Then I see how vulnerable we are. Our sun could just hiccup in the wrong direction and we'd go extinct. The solar system could destabilize (which has happened and will happened, ever wondered how we got our moon), a supernova could go off nearby, any number of random events could occur without warning and wipe us off the face of the earth. Seeing through both these lenses has show me that nothing that we do to our planet matters, especially if mars decides to recreate the moon's birth. We has a human species will just perish and all the things we made will just return to the universe from where it came. I'm desperately hoping that we leave our rock soon for these very reasons.

7. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    There's a certain balance to it, just like everything else in this world. The human race is beautiful in its ability to create new things and think rationally, with free will that supercedes our raw instincts (usually). However, we are also destructive, and eliminate much natural beauty I .order to make our own. Humans are indeed the masters of this world to an extent, but even we fall victim to the weather, astronomical shifts, and of course, death. We will eventually lose control of this world, that much is inevitable, whether because of God, something out in space, or our own self destruction. The only thing we can do is respect our planet and each other, in order to prevent the latter from occuring.