1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What method of shiny hunting do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wrennekin, May 22, 2015.

?

What method of shiny hunting do you prefer?

1. Chaining (DexNav, PokeRadar, etc)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Horde Hunting

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Breeding (Masuda Method, TSV matching, etc)

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. Other (Soft Resetting, Friend Safari, etc)

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. No Preference

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrennekin

Wrennekin "tiny but tough"

PokéPoints:
    ₽22.7
    Shiny hunting is one of my favorite in-game activities these days and while I tend to prefer the chaining method, myself, I'm curious
    about other folks' preferences. For those of you who share my interest in shiny hunting, what method(s) do you
    prefer or find yourself using most often? Which ones have you had the best luck with? c:

(If you answered "other", feel free to expand on that!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    I honestly don't really care for the actual hunting side for shinies. I don't actively hunt shiny Pokémon. I've done the shiny chain fishing once and that was a nice surprise to get one on the fourth chain, and I got one randomly in the Friend Safari, but otherwise, nope.

My favourite part of shiny Pokémon is, rather than actively hunt them using the friend safari and the like, I just roam around and maybe run into one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jellystitches

Jellystitches Potato Personified

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I like chaining water Pokémon 'cus it's just so easy and fun~
    Other than that, I prefer to "hunt" for shinies through wonder trade. uwu

4. Synerjee

PokéPoints:
    ₽65.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I don't actively hunt for shinies, but rather let them run into me on their own accord - aka random encounters. I feel that it makes the shiny Pokémon even more valuable, plus the thrill of randomly bumping into one when you least expect it is indescribable. I've tried chaining before, but I've never had any luck as my chains always break for no apparent reasons.

5. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    The only time I seemed to find any success in hunting for shinnies is when I used the Masuda method, so I guess it's breeding for me. Or else hacking.

6. Pokeman

Pokeman GERMAN SCIENCE IS ZHE FINEST IN ZHE WORLD

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I prefer chaining, mainly because I suck at every other form. I've caught all of my shinies this way. I only ever had real trouble once, and that's because the Pokémon was really slippery.

7. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I've tried every single method of shiny hunting, and I don't really have a preference! I find random encounters and soft-resetting to be the most fun, but I also like to breed and chain for them on occasion. It really depends on my mood at the time, I like all the methods used to find shinies!

8. Merdrabolt

Merdrabolt Hex Maniac

Umbra
    (Zorua)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3.1
    Darkinum Z ★★★★Slowpoke Tail ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I haven't done much shiny hunting but I did manage to breed a shiny Trapinch which is my favourite dragon type~

9. ShinyCharmy

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Ugh, I despise breeding.
    The only shiny I got from Masudkya Method was an accidental Omanyte while I was breeding for Wonder Trade Wednesday. Last time I tried was Staryu, and I gave up after over 500 eggs.
    But I think most of my self-caught shinies came from the Friend Safari.

10. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    I prefer the Masuda Method, Horde Hunting and using the Dexnav. Although I haven't had any luck finding a shiny through the dexnav it is the one I prefer the most followed by horde hunting and the masuda method. So far I've only managed to find a Shiny Zubat - by accident - through the hordes and that's when I found out that there was an actual method to finding Pokémon through hordes. The most success I've had is the Masuda Method; my first hatched shiny was in Pokémon Black and it was a Shiny Zorua; I spent so many days and hours hatching eggs and was in disbelief when I managed to finally hatch it.

But I also enjoy the random encounters which always cause me to freak out since I don't actually believe it's happening XD And then I set up trades - mostly though facebook - for shiny Pokémon by trading Pokémon with their hidden abilities (thanks Friend Safaris!)

11. VintageRaticate

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.2
    Masuda method is more reliable for natures and IV's, so I like that method better than shiny chaining. I did shiny chain quite well in X and Y but in ORAS it's a little harder for me.

12. Wrennekin

Wrennekin "tiny but tough"

PokéPoints:
    ₽22.7
    Same here! I've gotten a couple of shinies via breeding but it was always by accident haha. I just don't have the patience that is required to (intentionally) breed for shinies---anyone who does deserves a gold star for their god-like level of patience.

I'm the exact opposite!I've only managed to successfully chain one shiny Pokémon in X/Y; I tend to stick to chaining in OR/AS, and when I hunt on X/Y I use the horde hunting method instead. I just can't seem to get the hang of chaining with the PokeRadar asdfghjkl.

13. Steamlined

Steamlined Jack of all trades

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Breeding, of course! I mean, I've never successfully managed to Masuda something, but it's still my favourite method. Much more choice involved. :)

14. Starry Windy

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.1
    Well, I've been trying several methods to find Shiny Pokémon but it didn't work out, so I prefer to try to find the shiny Pokémon just by some random encounters and all. Even though I got my shiny Plusle in Alpha Sapphire thanks to DexNav, I was not thinking of chaining with DexNav in the first place that time (was in the middle of training Kyogre and having interest in shaking grass), so I count it as a lucky shot.

15. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I prefer breeding, because there's something very satisfying about getting a shiny that you've wanted for a long time with good moves and iv's haha.

16. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Masuda Method. Mainly because you can influence the Pokémon you get in result to be whatever you wish for it to be. (Egg moves, Iv's, nature, etc.)

It takes a while, but I think it's better than getting a shiny Pokémon that you will never use because of its stats and everything. I don't think anyone wants a Pokémon that just sits there and looks pretty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.