1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

New battle mechanics in Pokémon SM?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Maantijger, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    So far, every Generation has introduced at least one thing new element to the battle system. In Gen 2, Dark and Steel types got added to balance the Psychic types, in Gen 3 weather conditions and Double Battles were introduced, Gen 4 split the psychical and special attacks and introduced online battling, Rotation and Triple battles were added in Gen 5 and Gen 6 nerved the Dragon types with the introduction of the Fairy types. Following this pattern, it's almost certain we'll see another update to the battle system in Gen 7, but what could it be?
    I was thinking maybe we could see the introduction of new weather conditions. If you look at the timeline, it took exactly 4 Generations for the addition of a new type so with that logic, it wouldn't be so strange to see another weather condition or two, again, after 4 Generations. In the current (official) metagame, weather conditions are almost as important as types and the Sandstorm and Hail conditions are severely underpowered, it'd make sense if GF used the opportunity to either change the way the weather system affects the battles or adds one or two new conditions. Of course, everything's just a guess at this point but it doesn't seem too far fetched >_>
    What do you think they'll add or change to the battle system this time around? Discuss :3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm wondering if Terrain moves are already filling the role of expanded weather. Please note I'm not an expert battler, or have even used a Terrain move before (maybe), but they seem to be similar in a way that confusion and attraction are to major status effects. Similar but different and not mutually exclusive. Also, weather was in Gen 2, but were greatly expanded in 3.

I'd like to see a renewed focus on the physical location of battles, along the lines of Camouflage and Nature Power. Maybe even with respect to abilities or STAB-like power boosts. Multiplayer battles might either be held in a neutral, random, or agreed terrain; all for the sake of fairness, but I think it would add another layer of complexity for consideration and exploitation. Kind of like anticipating a rain-dance user might discourage you from using Fire-types, anticipating a subterranean area might encourage you to use Rock or Dark, and you get to reap the rewards of or bear the consequences of your choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phineas81707

PokéPoints:
    ₽54.8
    Maybe a stance system of some description? Sort of like Aegislash, but not nearly as extreme. Or maybe tying something to the Speed stat to make the exact size of it more meaningful? I mean, in Fire Emblem, speed is The Most Important Stat, and in Pokémon, you either have it or you don't, and that's all you care about.

...But don't tie dodging to it.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  4. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Oh wow, I had no idea weather already in Gen 2, that's cool. The Terrain moves play hardly any role in competitive battling at all. Would be cool if they made those more prominent in the new games. Now there's only a handful of Pokémon that can use the moves and the effects are just not worth giving up a slot for.

5. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    I just got to thinking, people have been doing free-for-all battles on their own for a while, but what if Pokémon actually straight up made a free-for-all mode? I have no idea how it would work, I just think it would be cool. Maybe it could change around the position of the Pokémon. Instead of two on each side, maybe there could be 4 sides and just one on each or something like that. Idk, it's just a thought that I came up with today, don't judge me ;)

6. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    What Wizard said is genius. I want actual FFA's in Sun and Moon. I think they were even a side event that happened in the VGC World Championships, so Gamefreak has clearly acknowledged their existance.

7. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Really? I thought they did a regular Multi Battle tourney. But yeah, would be cool to see FFAs cuz those look pretty fun. I wonder if they'd add random online battles via Battle Spot like with singles and doubles too.

8. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I really think this will happen. Why? It has showed up not once, but twice in official Pokémon related events. First, when I was at Worlds 2015 they had FFA tournaments. And second, during the 20th anniversary live stream they were doing FFAs... during the 20th anniversary live stream. Yeah. I would be shocked it this didn't get added in Sun/Moon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.