1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

A story regarding one of my favorite Pokemon

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by oghond, Aug 20, 2017.

1. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    *WARNING: MAY BE EMOTIONAL*

The first Pokémon I ever owned was not a starter in a game, but rather a plushy.

Back when I was a kid, I was obsessed with ducks. I had a ton of plush duck toys that my mom would buy for me. I would cuddle with these duck plushies in bed, and I loved every single one.

Then, one day when I was around 3 years old, my mom bought me a duck plushy unlike any I had ever seen before. It was beige in color, with blank-staring eyes, a large duckbill, and three black hairs coming out of the top of its head. I had no idea what this strange duck was- I just loved it because it was a duck, and I treated it just like any other duck I owned.

One day, I found out that this strange duck was a Pokémon, and from there, I began a 2-year long investigation into the Pokémon community. By the time I was 5 years old, I was absolutely obsessed with Pokémon, and eventually got my first in-game starter in the form of a Bulbasaur in FireRed.

Today, I am a huge Pokémon fan, having completed multiple games, collected plushies and toys, and written fanfictions. I have had several starters over the years, from a female Blastoise I named Cleopatra to a male Popplio who annihilated the Elite Four despite having never evolved during the entire game.

But crazily enough, my first starter Pokémon... was a Psyduck.

And that experience has lead Psyduck to be one of my favorite Pokémon of all time.

Now, I would like to know: What are some of your personal backstories behind some of your favorite Pokémon? Please type up your responses in this thread.

#1 Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
    Darkmaster006 likes this.
  2. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Absol is my favorite Pokémon for a lot of reasons. Here's just one of them.

It was around my middle school years when I first saw Jirachi Wish Maker. And for me, middle school was downright awful. Bullies and bad teachers all over, and not one person understood my thought processes, since Asperger's Syndrome wasn't that well known at the time. I was the very misunderstood quiet kid. And then I see Absol on TV, and it looked so cool, and I heard it was also a very misunderstood Pokémon (sensing disasters misunderstood as causing them). I pretty much fell in love with it right off the bat. So, yeah.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mandriel likes this.
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    My first interaction with Pokémon was through the TCG. I didn't obtain any Pokémon cards, but instead the trainers. The art was compelling, I loved the mix of 3D models and 2D art I was getting from the trainers. Lass, Professor Oak, Switch, Recycle..
    I saw Kakuna, Magnemite, Weedle, but the one that spoke to me was Jigglypuff on Recycle. The round pink Pokémon was cute, but in this one image, it was defeated and sad, with bandages on its body and being held by a claw machine above a trash can. I wanted to see more of Jigglypuff, I wanted to see it happy, I wanted to know why it was (in my childish mind, not understanding the card's effects as I could barely read yet) being dropped into the trash.
    So, in the end, it is thanks to Jigglypuff that I got into Pokémon. Jigglypuff, a Pokémon I now tend to forget/not use..brought me into this wonderful gaming world. Thank you Jigglypuff :') I'll be sure to start using you again, ok~? ;u;
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SnowboundBecca likes this.
  4. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    That is so cute!!!!!!!! :)

5. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Similarly, my first Pokémon interaction was through the TCG, although I played Diamond around the same time. When I played the TCG with my brother, since he was older and more experienced with it, I always lost. He was, like, 12, and I was only about 7. I didn't know what the heck was going on, what these pictures and numbers meant, or anything.

When I got Diamond, my brother also had Diamond. At the time, we weren't close at all. Always butting heads, always fighting, etc etc. Originally, I was gonna play Diamond out of spite, so I could be better than him in something, but I actually got into playing Pokémon rather than just using it as a tool to one-up my brother.

My favorite Pokémon is Typhlosion because my brother ended up trading me his Typhlosion so I could take care of it when he was gonna restart his own game (he had gotten the egg from a trade, I think). Immediately, I fell in love with this angry overleveled fire weasel. And despite the fact it was level 50 something and I only had 3 badges, it listened to me more than it didn't, and absolutely demolished any foe that stood in its way.

Funny enough, Pokémon is what brought my brother and I closer together. He would ask how Typhlosion was doing, and I'd excitedly tell him how awesome it was doing. So, yeah. Typhlosion was the starting point to the improving relationship between my older brother and I. So thanks, Typhlosion.

6. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Let's see...where to start. I think it was mid-2015. My church has a youth house that all the teenagers (most, anyways) meet up at on Wednesdays and Sundays. We've got a Wii there and we play Super Smash Bros. all the time on it. I got pretty hooked on that, and my main guy was Falco. Now, I'd been into Pokémon before in my lifetime, but that was when I was really little, and I lost interest at around 9.

One day, though, I remember fighting against Lucario. I hadn't really ever took the time to look at it, and I thought it looked really cool. I started using it, and I got really good with it. Most people had trouble beating me, and I really started getting attached to the character. I was a big Google+ user in those days (still kinda use it from time to time), and I was just getting into roleplaying. I made another account for that, and my character was, of course, Lucario. I started roleplaying with a lot of other Pokémon fans, and that's what really hooked me. I joined a lot of Pokémon communities, and met a lot of people that I'm still friends with today. But the most significant thing it did for me was bring @Luna the Espeon into my life. I met her in a Pokémon community in October of that year, and we really hit it off. We started dating in December, and we're still together today. Yeah, yeah, I know, online dating is dangerous, blah blah blah. Well, sue me, I love this girl to death and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. It's been almost two years, I would have picked up on it if she was actually a 45 year old rapist by now.

But that's not the point. The point is, Lucario is what led me to rediscover Pokémon, which in turn gave me a new hobby, made me a lot of friends, and quite possibly gave me my future wife, and that's why Lucario still is and always will be my favorite.

Although, I gotta say, Zoroark is awesome, too-

Luna the Espeon likes this.
  7. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    These are all great stories. Keep posting! :)

8. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Here comes the long rant.

There's this Giratina card that I got, and I really, really loved it. The art was beautiful, and I became oddly fixated on the form it showed, since I had only seen Altered before. I carried the thing around like a lucky charm; to school, to the store, you name it. At first, I didn't know what Giratina was, or even it's Origin form, so I thought I was holding this magical, secret creature that nobody else knew about.
    I slowly learned more about Giratina, and how it was banished for violence, staring silently at the world it left behind. I felt a kind of connection with it.
    I began collecting it, sketching it, battling with it more and more. I started calling the card Gira, as a nickname, because I was so young, I didn't know how to pronounce Giratina. When I battled with it, I started saying, 'Go, Gira!' as well, and it became a bit of a nickname for me. All the way back in elementary.
    It's been years, and I no longer carry Gira with me as an object. But I still have that card.
    upload_2017-8-20_21-8-40.jpeg
    #MissingNo

9. Luna the Espeon

Hera
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽942.1
    Personally, I love a ton of Pokémon, but Espeon holds a special place in my heart. I've always loved the Eeveelutions, but I love Espeon so much because of how adorable it is and, I mean, psychic power is pretty boss. But, of course, there's something more to it.

I'm pretty big on roleplaying. My very first Pokémon character I ever made was an Espeon named Luna. It was with a roleplay using her as a character that I came to know my amazing boyfriend, @Anubis the Lucario. I found I loved Espeon so much that I even made two more characters: two angels, one light and one dark, both sisters, and both taking the form of Espeon.

I've been through a lot with these characters, so they'll always have a place in my heart.

Anubis the Lucario likes this.
  10. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I got an Eevee Plushy from my mom when I was little. And then I started watching the anime and playing the game, not realizing that that is where Eevee came from until I saw the Eevee brothers' episode. That is when I got really hooked on Pokémon.

And in my Blue copy, I had a Squirtle for a starter, evolved my Eevee in a Jolteon, and needed a fire type to beat Erika. Note that I was five and couldn't read English. SO my brother showed me where he found Growlithe. Imagine my surprise when I found a little fiery fox in the same grass. I fell in love and to this day my favorite Pokémon are Eevee and Vulpix/Ninetales.

11. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    My favorites are all for relatively normal reasons. Design, stats, first starter, first ever seen, etc. All except two: Malamar and Poliwrath.

The former is because in Omega Ruby, the first Pokémon game during which I actually knew what I was doing the entire time, I was in wonder trade and received a level 100 shiny Malamar with Contrary and Superpower and an Assault Vest. I realize now that it was probably hacked, but I don't care because it has a legal moveset. So I challenged my brother to a battle and swept his team, including his Primal Kyogre. Since then I've known all the ups and downs of Malamar, and how to use it well, and now I love one of the most evil Pokémon in existence. Probably only second to Tapu Bulu. #TapuBuluIsAnEvilMonster

Poliwrath is different. In every generation I have played, my brother trades me a Poliwhirl nicknamed Hi, and I evolve it into a Poliwrath and use it on my team. I don't even remember why it still happens, but that thing is my go to water type for if I don't like any of the new ones. I treasure it because it reminds me of my brother so much and I enjoy playing these games with him.

12. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't remember why I started liking this pokémon in the first place, but I definitely remember why Houndour has remained one of my favorites. When me and my siblings were younger, about 8 years ago I think, we frequently role played pokémon. We stopped doing it as we got older, because I was always the one that got the games going, and it was harder for me to come up with a good story when they all got older and started to form ideas of their own. We usually played eevees, but me and my baby sister had our own special game. She was my Princess Pichu, and I was her Houndour, her guardian and protector.

I don't think we ever really played a specific story, she was only three or so at the time, but we loved to play pretend. Even now, years later, Pichu has remained her all time favorite pokémon, and Houndour has been one of mine. Me and my sister are still close, but I feel bad that I don't have that same connection with her as I did back then. I don't understand why the age difference didn't matter when we were 3 and 13, but it does when we're 11 and 21.

Still, at least we'll always have Pichu and Houndour.

13. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    And now for a more recent story regarding one of my favorite Pokémon: Hoppip.

It all started with my 7-month-long quest to learn Dutch and my newfound obsession with this Dutch hypnotist named Nimja- solely because of how ABSOLUTELY NERDY AS HECK he was. But this story isn’t about Nimja.

This story is about one of his biggest fans. A 17-year-old Dutch girl named Madelief Cornelisse.

I wrote a fanfic about Nimja called Play the Game a while back, and Madelief, who is a huge Nimja fan, liked my story. Once she found out I was learning Dutch, the two of us hit it off instantly. She and I talked multiple times through Discord voice chat, and she has helped me immensely in my quest to learn the Dutch language. If not for her, I never would have learned how to pronounce the Dutch G, gained knowledge of ‘t kofschip, and learned a bunch of other stuff regarding the Dutch language.

Of course, we talked about so much more than Dutch.

Madelief is by far the closest and best friend I have. She is extremely entergetic, kindhearted, and a GREAT FRIEND to me, having supported me wholeheartedly in my quest to learn Dutch even though multiple other Dutchies have hated me for it.

And up until I met her on Discord, I never really took Hoppip seriously.

That is, until I wrote another fanfic where she and a few other friends of mine were turned into Pokémon.

I instantly chose Hoppip, because it was a smiling dandelion that liked to bounce around and float in the wind. It reminded me so much of my fun-loving, extroverted, ADHD-ridden Dutch friend that every time I look at my Hoppip plushy I am instantly reminded of her and hear her voice in my head.

And now Hoppip is one of my favorite Pokémon, all because of Madelief.

Dankjewel, Madelief.

Here’s to my best friend who I’ll likely never meet.

#13 Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    FireSpartan5 likes this.