1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

All that glitters might be gold

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BiohazardSr, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BiohazardSr

BiohazardSr My name is Sid. Sid the Bard

PokéPoints:
    ₽71.6
    What is your favorite valuable material? Do you prefer gems (diamonds, rubies, etc.), or metals (gold, platinum, etc.) Do you own any? What is your birthstone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    I prefer (Chaos) Emeralds, cause they look cool. Also what's a birthstone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Birthstones are a (mostly arbitrarily assigned) gem or gem-like stone applied to each month of the calendar year that some people decorate themselves with, kind of like Zodiac signs. I've seen plenty of resources that disagree on what month gets what, so you can pretty much just say anything and it sounds believable. "The stone in this ring? It's Garnet, for my August birthday." What, are you going to call me out on it? Really, I just like red, but there's probably one website that says August gets Sapphire, another says Lapis Lazuli, another that says Pearl. Like I said, it's arbitrary.

I put more focus on the metals of my jewelry than the stones, and even then it tends to be less-fancy metals. Titanium, Tungsten Carbide, Stainless Steel. I don't think gold goes well with my skintone or fashion sense, and I don't think I have much real silver at all, so it's mostly those first three metals I mentioned.

sohrob101 likes this.
  4. mweep

mweep The Roaming Legendary

PokéPoints:
    ₽21.3
    I like cool metals, titanium is a really fun thing. or shiny chrome surfaces and stuff. My birthstone is Zircon, apparently. I thought it was turquoise but,...

"All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all who wander are lost
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

HA! Directly from memory!

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    tl;dr: I think birthstones are silly. Anyhow...

That's exactly what I was saying above. Here's my guess: a few years ago you saw on a website or a jewelry store or some other place a listing of what birthmonth gets what stone, and it tells you Turquoise for your month. That's totally understandable, and you decide to run with it because Turquoise is awesome (remember my teal/turquoise theme color before I went red/purple?). And then when this thread came up, you decided to look up your birthstone again and got conflicting data. Nobody can agree on what month is what stone, so that's why I say whatever I feel like if someone asks my stone.

I'm going to look up my August birthday on a few sites on DDG (going on the first five sites in order that WOT says isn't sketchy) and compare:

Site #1: Wikipedia says I have four different stones: Sardonyx, Carnelian, Moonstone, Topaz. Add Ruby as #5 to that list if you want to include Hindu birthstone designations, because why not.
    Site #2: Holycrap, 13 different birthstones. I don't even, how, what?
    Site #3: Peridot and Sardonyx (Ooh, just two! And they each somehow have personality traits! Fame, success, relaxation? Those are all totally me! I'm absolutely not a nameless nobody working for hardly acceptable pay and am never stressed out!)
    Site #4: Zales? Pretty legit jewelry store there, and they say just Peridot. So maybe there is some consistency. I miss my Sardonyx and the other 11 stones though.
    Site #5: Alternative healing website, okay. Add in Diamond, Sapphire, and Jade for some reason? Sure, whatever.

So yeah, there's a whoooole lot of variation. Peridot is the most recurring one, so maybe it's the most legit stone for August? I don't know.

Sorry for this rant. It's not aimed at you, Mweep, just me venting over something I think is silly and satisfying my own yappy need to dissect it like a frog.

Oh, and my only jewelry that has a gemstone (high school class ring) has a garnet in it. I like the color: it's deeper and arguably redder than ruby. That's most of my reasoning.

6. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I really like gems! They're really eye-catching, even if they're teeny-tiny. I mean silver and gold are great don't get me wrong, but there's a reason why that diamond has to be big on a girl's finger.
    Honestly, I do not wear a lot of jewelry, but I own a lot, like a crazy ton (don't mug me guys). Gems are really pretty to look at, especially if it's a diamond in the rough.
    My birthstone is garnet which I wasn't too happy about when I was little since I though amethyst was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Now that I'm a bit older, I really do have an appreciation for it. Garnet is gorgeous.

7. Eru Iluvatar

Eru Iluvatar Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽37.7
    My "birthstone" is Sapphire, which is pretty great because I like blue gemstones quite a bit. My favourite gemstone, however, would most probably be Tanzanite.

I do not own very many pieces of jewellery but I used to have a ring made of Palladium which I thought was pretty cool.

8. ✯Ho-OhLugia✯

✯Ho-OhLugia✯ Pokemon Masters

PokéPoints:
    ₽132.0
    Our birthstone is an opal. They're rare and exclusive only to Australia and Mexico. Extremely colourful, these precious gems are usually expensive. We like gold, silver, crystals, ruby, sapphire, emeralds, pearl, diamond and platinum! You can see why!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.