1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Are you currently learning or interested in learning a language?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by guest, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. guest

PokéPoints:
    ₽723.0
    Please comment with any languages you're currently learning or are interested in learning below! Leave a reason below for your interest and/or motivation for learning the language(s) you've got your eye on.

If you consider yourself fluent in a language or if English isn't your first language please include that in your comment too!

I'll count everything up and add it to the table below--let's see what everyone's interested in learning! :fuming:

(I'm a weeb so ofc I'm putting a vote down for Japanese to start with HAH (I'm mainly learning so that one day I can talk to my boyfriend's family properly instead of staring at the floor rip))

Biblical Greek - 1
    Biblical Hebrew - 1
    French - 3
    German - 3
    Hebrew - 1
    Italian - 1
    Japanese - 4
    Korean - 1
    Spanish - 2

#1 Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Getus

Getus The Senate

Ky
    (Kyogre Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.6
    Philosopher's CowlReaper Cloth ★★★Psychium Z ★★★★Great Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Hm, I'd have to put in a vote for Japanese. Tried French before but it was a flop, Japanese though has a lot more use to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    guest likes this.
  3. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    right now im taking a french course but im not really into it as much as i was two years ago?? idk the main reason i took it was because some colleges require two or four years of a foreign language so might as well lol. im not very good at it despite taking it for a few years now.....

more than anything im currently learning japanese and oh boy its actually super fun. im probably not good enough to achieve my main goal of being able to (somewhat) translate stories in a stupid japanese gacha game i play but im getting there hopefully!! honestly the thing that stops most people is kanji and im telling you right now: dont let it stop you! it seems like a super rewarding language to learn and i actually enjoy learning new words with those god forsaken kanji things!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Getus and guest like this.
  4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Aside from English (my first language) I know a bit of Spanish, German, and Japanese. I'll be taking Biblical Hebrew next semester in college, followed by Biblical (that is, 1st-century) Greek after that.

guest likes this.
  5. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I'm currently learning Italian, which is going well. It's a very difficult language, but it's also a beautiful one to hear. I've been in it for three years and I'm at a point where I can understand what is being spoken to me, albeit I can only respond back in English.

I've also taken Korean, although it's very rusty and I can only do basic translations and read/write hangul- I can't actually speak it.

Talarc and guest like this.
  6. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Right now I'm taking a Spanish I class and I'm passing it just fine, but that doesn't mean that I'm any good at it. :3

guest likes this.
  7. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm currently learning German! I have a few friends in Germany and I've always wanted to speak fluent German with them. I also just really enjoy the language itself.

guest, ShinigamiMiroku and Sethal like this.
  8. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    French, because i am learning it in school, and Hebrew because i'm Jewish

ShinigamiMiroku and guest like this.
  9. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I also learn french in school, it is an interesting language. Also I'm trying to improve my english, since it isn't my first language. German is my first language.

guest likes this.
  10. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    apart from english i’m also fluent in chinese!! i’m learning japanese as well, tried teaching myself french before but gave up ><

11. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I know it's kind of a weeb thing to say that I would like to know how to speak Japanese, but their culture just seems very interesting (And yes, I do want to understand what the people in anime are saying without the subtitles ;^ ~^)

12. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,671.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    English actually isn't my first language! I'm French. So, first off, English.
    I'm also learning German in class because we had to choose between that and Spanish.
    As for learning another one, heh... I'm not seriously thinking about any at the moment.

13. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    Right now I'm taking a French class but I'm very well aware that I don't know enough to actually hold a conversation when I visit France this summer. that being said if anyone fluent in french wants to help me on my trip that would be nice and id give you a hug or something

I used to know a bit of Japanese at one point, but I stopped learning at one point and my knowledge kinda slipped away. I one day hope to pick it back up, though.

14. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Yes. I wanna learn japanese language. I know many words but not the complete language. I once tried learning japanese, but its too hard, man! So I left it. :P

15. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Animation Writer

PokéPoints:
    ₽391.1
    Serbian, for four reasons.
    1: I have lots of friends from southeast Europe that don't expect a foreigner to take an interest in their culture and languages.
    2: It uses both Latin and Cyrillic writing systems but the language is the same between both, so learning Serbian from both angles yields tremendous advantages for learning other Slavic languages.
    3: The Balkans is an underrated gem of a region in Europe. Many inventions and significant contributions to mankind came from there. Not to mention the food is absolutely delicious!
    4: I can pick out what certain words and phrases mean without the help of a translator with what I know so far, and it's such an exciting thing to know!

16. Talarc

Talarc Swimmer

Muro
    (Whismur)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽935.8
    I started learning Italian when I was at school and continued it all the way up to university. I can mostly understand when I listen or read, but I still have a way to go with my writing and speaking. I also studied Japanese while I was at university - the grammar is much easier than that of Italian!

I'm also learning Welsh, Swedish and Irish using Duolingo, but I can't vouch for my ability in those languages!

17. Thundawave

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽132.8
    I learned some Spanish in high school and Latin in middle school. Unless I absolutely need to, I probably won't pursue foreign languages further.

18. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Technically, I am studying English all the time (I speak Dutch as my first Language). I am pretty fluent though. I want to learn more German.

19. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I took Japanese lessons during elementary school and still remember a good deal of the alphabet. Speaking wise, I had next to know understanding, so I'd love to eventually get back to learning that!

20. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    I wouldn't mind learning Japanese. Although, learning Spanish so I could understand Barandofl more wouldn't be bad either...