1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Ask Your Resident Physicist Questions

Discussion in 'Question & Answer' started by ID Zeta, Aug 5, 2017.

1. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    *Ground type or Rock type?

*Indoors or Outdoor?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -White chocolate is not real chocolate. #allchocolatematters
    -I've never been able to get to sleep easily, a fact that's only gotten worse in recent years. I also tend to nap for a few hours during the day, which probably doesn't help... I tried listening to music, but it didn't do too much.
    -Depends on how you define a "profound or noticeable effect". If that means causing a change in Earth's orbit, it could be surprisingly far away, though this is affected by how the black hole arrives in the Solar System to begin with. The only way Earth's orbit would not be affected is if the black hole entered along the plane of orbit (assuming Earth's orbit is indeed 2-dimensional on a local scale) and if the black hole orbited the Sun with the same period as Earth. This is based solely on the Law of Universal Gravitation and trying to balance the forces expressed by F=(GMm)/r^2...
    Tl;dr: If a black hole got anywhere near our Solar System (within a few times the Sun's gravitational field), we'd need to be worried.

-Ground. Less weaknesses and an immunity, as well as advantage against Steel-types, gives it an edge in my book.
    -Indoors. It's my firm belief that air conditioning is mankind's greatest invention.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Are there any games that you play that you don't think have received the love that you think that it deserved?
    What do you think is the cutest Pokémon?
    Meow.... :3

4. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -Hm... Most of the games I play are pretty popular. I guess Celeste would qualify, but only because it's an indie game.
    -Cutest Pokémon? I don't really have an opinion on that, since cuteness isn't a thing I take note of with Pokémon, typically.

Laserdragon14 likes this.
  5. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I forgot to ask: What is your favorite part of physics and is there another part of science that you wish to know more about?

6. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    I enjoy all aspects of physics (except optics; optics can go to Hell). In particular, quantum mechanics is very interesting, even if it can be rather abstract at times. I actually have an easier time with quantum mechanics than I do with electromagnetism, which is kinda funny. Astrophysics is pretty cool, too.

Pokémist and Laserdragon14 like this.
  7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    :: What would you recommend to anyone who would like to learn physics (in any capacity)?

:: Have you ever drawn/painted anything?

:: What's the best strategy for rock-paper-scissors?

8. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -On a conceptual level, I don't think physics is that difficult (then again, I say this as a person with nearly 3 years of undergrad physics under my belt, so...). For most of it, especially kinematics, the best way to learn is through experiments. Seeing the physics in action helps concepts click. That's why stuff like quantum and relativity (and electromagnetism, to an extent) can be so challenging - it's so math-intensive and difficult to find easy-to-understand analogs for. YouTube is generally a good place to learn concepts, but the nitty-gritty involves some pretty sophisticated math.
    Moral of the story here: hands-on is best for concepts, but beyond that, you're gonna need patience. The more advanced you go, the more true this is.

-I used to do a fair bit of drawing. I still keep a couple sketchbooks and an assortment of colored pencils and liner markers around, but I haven't had the inspiration to draw in a decently long time. It's unfortunate because I want to draw, but my perfectionism often gets the better of me.

-I think I remember seeing that either rock is the most commonly used of the three, so going paper is generally better. I could be wrong, though.

I approve of your avatar and sig choice, btw.

9. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I skipped optics and simple harmonic motion in my test. Yes optics can go to hell. Electromagnetism is easyyy lol. For me, favourite part of physics is gravitation and Probsbly kinematics

How you decided your username?

What are opinions on de-broglie's wavelength?

Do you like ice creams?

#129 Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Conceptually, I guess electromagnetism isn't that bad, but the higher-level math is an absolute nightmare.

-My username follows after how a friend of my brother made his - initials, then something random. I chose Zeta because it sounded cool to 12-year-old me. It's stuck with me every since.

-The de Brogile wavelength, to me, is one of the key bridges between classical and quantum mechanics. The consequences are interesting, too - you defract every time you walk through a doorway.

-Ice cream is love, ice cream is life.

11. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ah, thank you! ...I sadly don't remember what avatar I was using last week, though. Was it this one? ...I try to keep track of what banners I got comments on.

:: What is a YouTube video you tend to watch a lot?

:: Do you have any current habits that you're trying to break or stop?

:: Do you have any thoughts about lava?

12. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    The one I approved of was the Lightpulsar Dragon one. I also approve of the Firewall Dragon one you're using now.
    -A particular video? No, not really. A handful of YouTube content creators? Yes.
    -I'm trying to cut down on the amount of soda I drink by replacing it with water.
    -Lava's hot and has funny names. That's about all I know about lava, sadly.

Eclipse likes this.
  13. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    How was your earth day?

Favorite protagonist

Least favorite protagonist

Mario or Zelda

14. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    -It was pretty good. Had a concert earlier today, so that was pretty fun.

-I'll combine the next two. Favorite and least favorite protagonists, huh? From any medium? For favorites, I'd have to go with Madeline from Celeste and Vin from the first Mistborn trilogy. I don't think I have a least favorite...

-As in the franchises, or the characters? If youbmean the franchises, I'd go with Zelda simply because those are more my style of game (even though I don't play a lot of Zelda games...). If you mean the characters, I'd say it's a tie.

15. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    What is one of the most fascinating things you've learned about in physics? Most frustrating?

16. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Have you watched Avatar: The Last Airbender? If so, what is your opinion on it?

Can you explain what Gravitational Potential Energy is in the simplest way possible?

17. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    Most frustrating would definitely be relativity simply because it's so unintuitive. It makes you think in a completely different way. I think quantum in general would be among the most fascinating things I've learned because the implications of quantum concepts on macroscopic systems are interesting. A lot of things can be described through quantum mechanical interactions.

-I actually binge-watched The Last Airbender over 2 (maybe 3?) days last year because I hadn't seen the whole thing until then, only bits and pieces. I loved it. Great animation style, great narrative and storytelling, good balance of humor with seriously elements. I firmly believe everyone needs an Uncle Iroh in their life.

-So potential energy in general is the energy an object has, but isn't using for anything currently. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to being above some pre-defined height (usually defined as the ground, but it's completely arbitrary). The higher up it is, the more energy it has. If that object is allowed to fall, that gravitational potential energy is gradually converted into kinetic energy (and a small amount of heat due to air resistance). Basically, gravitational potential energy exists within an object is it's not on the ground.

ShireHime likes this.
  18. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    why did you choose physics?

19. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,607.7
    I chose physics because I wanted to understand why things behave certain ways and why things are the way they are. I didn't want to know just how things worked; I wanted to know why they worked that way and not some other way.

Mango and SawstheSawsbuck like this.
  20. BowTie

BowTie Camper

Mythical Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽39.4
    Is Physics a good choice for a math-enthusiast as their 10th grade science class?