1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Biggest what-the-heck moments in videogames

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by ShinigamiMiroku, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Going off of a previous post I made, I started watching some of the stuff in Portal 2, and I realized that this was one of the biggest shock moments I've ever had in the game:

The whole 'core transfer' process with both GLaDOS and Wheatley, specifically. On Wheatley's side, it's clear that it's a sentient being that can feel pain, so the being-connected-to-the-mainframe bit is obviously painful. On GLaDOS' side, she's getting her consciousness ripped from her body (and that's not even considering the spoilers from later on in the game about just HOW she ended up in the mainframe to begin with) and shoved into a tiny core powered by a potato; that has to be like suddenly becoming a quadriplegic while still conscious of the entire process... That's when it really hit me - this game is REALLY dark.

What other moments in games have you experienced something similar?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    This wasn't my biggest one, but it was my most recent. I was playing NASCAR Heat 2, and I spun out and hit another truck (NASCAR races trucks as well as cars). It basically blasted off like a rocket and did about 5 barrell rolls in the air before coming back down. The weirdest part? No caution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    My biggest what the heck moment would have to be when I played Cod Modern Warfare 2, and seeing a lot of the characters you play as die in front of your eyes with your general looking over you... man it was weird.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I played Majora's Mask 3DS when I was in the hospital a little while ago, and the entire character of Majora is just startling callous, enough to make me say "what the heck" at least a few times. One of the first things he does when acquiring a body is to murder an innocent child just to put a curse on Link. The way he tosses aside Epona, physically beats Tael, and generally just effs over each individual citizen of Termina is astounding. Like, he doesn't just doom them all to die three days later, but he individually makes them miserable. Curses a man to revert to a child's body and be too ashamed to attend his own wedding, isolates a girl at her farm so she'll have to fight off an alien invasion on her own (and get abducted and psychologically destroyed by said aliens), physically breaking a Great Fairy? All that and more he did just to make people miserable before dying.

Luckily all this what-the-heck is eventually replaced by the heartwarmingness that almost every person he made miserable you make happy and get a mask (huh, the Happy Mask salesman). So much what-the-heck though.

5. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Everything that transpired in control core angel in Borderlands 2, really. But something that truly gave me pause was what happened with Felicity in the PreSequel and Nekomata in Nioh.

6. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    My first play through of Dead Space was basically me going "OH GOD WHAT'S GONNA BE THE NEXT MONSTER I FACE" I wasn't very good with horror games back then... TT

7. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Haha! Man, that must've been a sight... programmed physics FTW. XD

There's some PTSD for ya... that sucks. x_x

Oh yeah, Majora's Mask... that entire GAME is a what-the-heck simulator. Still one of the best games in the series (just behind BotW). XD

Never played any of those games, but given the little I know about Borderlands I can guess it was pretty bad.

Only know a bit about Dead Space, but I'm not a fan of horror games, so everything in that game would basically be that reaction. T_T

OzoneFruit likes this.
  8. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    When Lusamine fused with Nihilego to form a human/ultra beast boss thing in Pokémon Sun and Moon. Did not expect anything like that to happen!

9. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Ha, yeah. Game sucks, honestly. NASCAR has really dipped in popularity over the past decade, and that means the games are becoming more and more crappy. I guess I should be grateful this isn't NASCAR '15, which shat itself every five minutes.

10. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Yep! Especially in the case of the PreSequel & Nioh, it's been one of the very few times I had to stop and pause, reluctant to move on because I knew it was gonna be tragic. :(

11. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    A what-the-heck moment I remember was in Pokémon Moon when
    Lusamine turned into Mother Beast.
    While my first reaction was incomprehension, my second was to love her new form. (I even have a drawing of her as an iPad wallaper)

12. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    My greatest what the heck moment was the entire plot from Xenoblade Chronicles. The first half the entire story was okay but after that, the what the heck moments were in like every scene and the plot escalated further than I would have ever imagined when starting the game. I'm not going to spoil anything here but you should go see that game. Its amazing.

13. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    When you realise that every Mystery Dungeon game has you close to death (some of them make you die straight up), you go to sleep, and when you wake up, you're perfectly fine.

T_T

Some random MD protagonist: *gets knocked out from legendary* *nearly dies*
    *goes to sleep* *wakes up fine*
    Random MD protagonist : Holy s***

14. DelphoxError

Dice
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.4
    probably the moment in Pokémon super mystery dungeon when
    your PARTNER ends up being the one who has to leave;; considering how much of a hit and miss super was game wise, i feel like the story at least somewhat makes up for it, even if in some areas it feels rushed (coughcough that tutorial took forever), the partner was a fantastic character imo
    so having to see them leave instead was kind of a shock to me
    i wasted so many reviver seeds trying to get them back sweet arceus

15. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Spoilers for Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
    I used to play this game a lot, before Stormblood came out, mostly because the over-arching story was fantastic. But there was one moment that made me pause in disbelief over what had just transpired. And I will never forget it.

There were several characters in A Realm Reborn that were introduced with minor development only to come back with major roles in Heavensward. One such character was named Haurchefant. In A Realm Reborn, he was a very understanding gentleman who allowed you to investigate strange happenings across the snowy mountains of Coerthas, which involved taking down a heretic and beating his boss, Shiva. Later, after just getting framed for assassination of a queen (which was yet another "What the heck" moment for me) and run away to the mountains as a fugitive, he gives you permanent shelter at his house's manor in Ishgard. He even gives you and your friends hot cocoa! What a guy.

Later on in the story, you uncover a conspiracy with the head of the Ishgardian church himself, and are tasked to apprehend him before he escapes. So you and your friends enter the chapel, take down the knights of the round that stand in your way, and are about to catch the archbishop as he is about to take off in his airship. And as you're running up to catch him, one of the knights throws a spear of light at you from the rooftops.

Haurchefant takes the blow for you. The spear pierces through his shield, fatally wounding him, and dies in your arms.

That was one of the few times I actually cried for a character death. I had to pause the game and get up for a bit to calm down. Just... UGH. I was a wreck after that.