1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

It's just the beast under your bed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Did you have any childhood beliefs that you eventually outgrew? Was there a monster under your bed? If the wind changed direction, would your face be stuck in that silly expression you pulled to annoy your parents? Did Santa and the Easter Bunny exist?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    None that I can think of. No monsters, certainly, and while there may have been a time that I believed that Santa Claus existed it likely didn't last long as it wasn't very long before I found out the origins of the holiday and the man who inspired the bearded deliverer of presents.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    In you closet, in your head

I've never been one for fairy tails, not since I saw blood for the first time in my life. I used to enjoy the tails of fairies and legendary beasts of nature roaming around and saving the world, but I outgrew that fantasy with a single drop of literal life. It's been so long since then, but I still believe that they might not all be lies. The world is still vastly unexplored, so who knows?

Dawn likes this.
  4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,933.2
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I did believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny as a kid, but eventually outgrew them. Those are the only things I can think of.

5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    My parents and I used to frequent a restaurant with very poor lighting and whenever we sat at the booths, I thought there were monsters under the dark seats.

6. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I found out that Santa didn't exist pretty early on since I'm a light sleeper and I woke up to the sound of my dad putting the presents under the tree. I kept up the act though because I thought I wouldn't get presents anymore if my parents knew that I knew.

I actually tricked my parents into finding out that the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny weren't real. For the tooth fairy I waited a few days to say that I had lost a tooth, putting it under my bed each night, and I never got anything. When I finally told them I lost a tooth, I had money under my pillow the next day. Amazingly they never woke me up when putting money under my pillow, but the sound of Christmas wrapping paper wakes me up really easily for some reason. I'm also not sure how they didn't notice I had lost a tooth earlier either since it was one of my front teeth.

For the Easter Bunny, I left a note asking if the Easter Bunny delivered baskets the night before or on Easter morning. I got a reply from the Easter Bunny saying the baskets were delivered in the morning, written in my mom's handwriting. They didn't think I'd realize, I guess.

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,507.1
    I used to think that there was a monster in my closet when I was a kid, so my dad took the doors off my closet. It's actually still like that.

8. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I used to think there was a killer under the bed and that if I was all tucked in they'd leave alone.
    Kids think the strangest things lol

9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I used to dislike the dark, so much so that I'd always keep my door open just enough to make it seem like I wasn't isolated.

10. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    I don't know about y'all, but I still have a monster under my bed... such is the joy of having a bunk-bed.
    I did used to believe in the easter bunny, santa claus and the toothfairy but I grew out of them like every child. There was never any monsters in my closet but I always had a bit of fear taking the trash out in the dark. It still freaks me out every so slightly to this day.

Vigilance likes this.
  11. Shade

Shade Sailor

Lux
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽380.5
    Ultra Ball
    I've never feared fiction or fairy tales. Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies when it came out and I was 7 or 8.
    I fear reality.

As a child, the thing I feared at night was a spider, not a giant mutant/monster spider, just a plain ole house spider, courtesy of my aunt who had had told me that she'd woken one morning to find a spider in her bed.
    My mom ended up debunking it by lining the outer edge of my bed with her body spray and telling me that spiders would avoid it because they don't like chemicals.

I don't fear them in my bed anymore but spiders still freak me out.
    Today I am armed with a can of the real deal, Raid and their slogan 'kills bugs on contact' is gloriously 100% true so I don't need physical contact and can even keep my distance.

Regarding the positive mythical figures, the only one I can remember believing in was the tooth fairy.
    Santa Claus is kind of difficult to preach to a child being raised in apartments that don't have fireplaces and the body spray spider-buster thing was the exception, not the skill. My mom wasn't the most creative person and worked full time.
    When I asked where babies come from, instead of getting some cutesy story such as the stork I got a children's book called Where Did I Come From by Peter Mayle that mildly explained and illustrated the truth:
    https://www.amazon.com/Where-Did-Come-Peter-Mayle/dp/0818402539

The Easter bunny was never really given much credit for the baskets and candy I'd get.

Don't get this wrong, I was always made to enjoy the holidays just not heavily based on fictional entities.
    I still got gifts with Santa's name on them was taken to sit on mall Santas laps and I loved every minute of it even if I didn't really believe.

Oh, there was St. Patrick's Day in Kindergarten. The teachers did this thing where when we came into the classroom from recess it was a mess, stuff pulled from the shelves and all over the floor and it was supposed to have been because a Leprachan had been there looking for his pot of gold. Then there was the green milk was supposed to have been the leprechaun pranking us just to be mischievous.
    I think that one got me.

#11 Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019