1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Remake

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Eclipse, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★

(The Trailer and Gameplay videos, as shown on Nintendo's YouTube channel.)

So, for those not aware, one of the many things that Nintendo revealed during E3 was an HD remake of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. This game was the very first entry of the Mario & Luigi RPG series, and was released on the Game Boy Advance back in 2003 (which is further back than some of you have been alive), and its massive success and playful nature created the entire side series single-handedly.

If we're counting, Superstar Saga & Bowser's Minions will be the sixth game in the series, and speaking from an aesthetic standpoint, it appears to use the same type of visual assets that have been common to the series ever since Dream Team (the fourth entry). We haven't seen a whole lot of it, but it appears to adhere very closely to the original game - and yes, that includes the dancing.

However, as you probably could tell by the title, it also offers a whole separate side story - Bowser's Minions - showing what happened to all of Bowser's cronies when your paths separated after the Koopa Cruiser. Not sure if this is like a 'gaiden' story, or if you play it at the same time you progress through normal plot - but we'll see when the time comes.

What do you think about this title? What do you expect? What other things do you have to share?

Speaking for myself, I've been internally screaming with glee ever since I heard about it; I didn't see the Direct first-hand since I was at work, but when I heard about it, I about lost my mind (and I still haven't found it yet). I'm expecting two main things from the game so far - one of them is to bring the dancing back (and they already have), and the other is to fix the loop on the battle theme; when they put it in Paper Jam as a callback, it looped too soon and lopped off basically an entire stanza (16 measures).
    Other than that? I'm sold. I'm instantly sold. Superstar Saga was the first RPG I've ever played in my life, and it holds a lot of sentimentality for me - never mind all of the times I've replayed it that I have essentially memorised the entire game.

Anyway, discuss!

2. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,686.5
    I watched Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga, so I think that'll be awesome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I've never played any of the Mario and Luigi games (though I really want to) so I'm pretty excited for this! Maybe I can finally get into this series.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    I'm pretty glad, honestly. I've only ever played Partners in Time, and that was yeeeeeeears ago, and I've always heard lots and lots of good about the first game but never got very far in it whenever I tried it. I'll have to pick it up!

5. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    This is the only one in the series I ever played, it's the reason I got my gameboy advance, heck I've played 3 all nighters on this game! It is a game that I am very fond of so dang it nintenfo, you'd better give it the royal trestment!

6. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    This game sold me on the series instantly, I loved the humor, the team work, the story, it made great use of it's characters and was a new way of handling the RPG genre. I saw the trailer as i was scrolling thrugh youtube last night and I almost exploded. I even watched the tree house live gameplay, and they said that the game is basically exactly the same, with some updates to the UIand the graphics. In the battle she did, it showed of the Bro Moves, literally the best battle mechanic of the game, and it seems that it is in place the way it should be. I was most dissapointed by the lack of this mechanic in the future games, and can't wait to use it again.

7. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    I'm pretty excited for this. I haven't played many games in the series, but I've watched a good amount of Let's Plays of them, so maybe this will be my chance to actually start playing. Superstar Saga was great, so I really look forward to this!

8. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I didn't realise the original was really that old to warrant a remake, it still feels like that whole series feels new to me XD But I've always admired how beautifully well made they are and therefore a remake sounds quite nice all the same c: I mean they graphics are always wonderful, there's plenty of content and there's a great sense of humour in it.

9. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I tried Partners in time, but I messed up so much that I put it away, never to be seen again. But I do like the style of the series and the way you play. Ley's Plays are my solution to this and I like to watch them.

10. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    The original was one of my favorite games on the GBA; it was the first in the series that I played, and wound up being my gateway to becoming a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi spin-offs as a whole. The announcement of the remake was a really pleasant surprise, so I can't wait to pick it up for the holidays later on this year.

11. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    I really enjoy the over mechanics of the entire Mario & Luigi series (minus BIS because I haven't played that one), and to be perfectly honest, Superstar Saga definitely deserves a remake. Especially considering that all of its sequels are on DS and 3DS, so they make use of both screens. Superstar Saga had only one screen, which limited it a lot. Still a fun game, but yeah, a remake was in order. Let's just hope that it's as good if not better than the original.