1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Random Pokemon Facts Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Bubbles, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    So Wolf Expert, Captain Comet, Awney, and I were talking about some random Pokémon facts and dex entries for some mons and I thought it would be a fun idea to make a thread discussion all the different sorts of random Pokémon facts there are, whether it be with the anime or the games.

So apparently Mega evolution causes an immense amount of pain for some Pokémon, as all the energy required for it to happen has a cost... but most trainers aren't even aware of this unless they read the Pokédex entries of their Mega evolved Pokémon.

For example...

Mega Gyarados: "Mega Evolution places a burden on its body. The stress causes it to become all the more ferocious."

Mega Sharpedo: "The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering."

Mega Tyranitar: "Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving."

Mega Houndoom: "Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself."

Mega Scizor: "It stores the excess energy from Mega Evolution, so after a long time passes, its body starts to melt."

and etc. pretty gruesome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Here's some random info about Farfetch'd. Farfetch'd is based off of a Japanese saying that means something like “a duck comes along carrying a leek on its back.” It's supposed to illustrate something convenient because duck is served with leeks, but can also refer to something that's very unlikely to happen, or is "farfetched." Incidentally, the Pokédex in the anime back in season 1 commented on how tasty Farfetch'd are served with leeks and how they had nearly been hunted to extinction, while the only Farfetch'd you could get in gen 1 was through trade and gen 2 dex entries talk about dwindling numbers and how breeders are trying to save the species.

People have been eating Pokémon for a long time. And apparently they're very tasty.

If I get a Farfetch'd any time soon, I'm naming it Tasty.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Bubbles likes this.
  3. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Flaaffy stores so much electricity in its wool that it fell out. This is why it has less wool than mareep.

4. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    guess you probably know this one but meh
    ekans is snake backwards and arbok is kobra backwards
    anyways
    thoughts on gamefreak/nintendo messing up butterfree/venomoth's evolutions by interchanging them in the last second?

notice the similarity? :^)

on a side note,genesect might be a genetically modified kabutops

5. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Those are more theories than facts, but on the Butterfree/Venomoth thing, there's a species of caterpillar that looks just like a Caterpie.

[​IMG]

And the cocoon looks like this:

[​IMG]

But then the butterfly looks like...?

[​IMG]

It's a Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly. While the black and white marks look kiiiind of like Butterfree, it's wings are very dark and triangular shape and Butterfree has never had the iconic points on the end of its wings that give it the "swallowtail" name. Venomoth on the other hand...

[​IMG]

...has had swallowtails since its very first sprite. In it's first sprite, it has white marks on its wings kind of like the Swallowtail butterfly too.

Edit: out of curiosity I looked up some pictures of moths and found this:

[​IMG]

The orange marks on it even look like a Butterfree's eyes. Then the description on the site where I found this says, "This black and white moth is unusual in that it is active during the day. It is very conspicuous, especially with the two orange hair tufts just behind its head. It is also a poor flyer. These features may seem to make it very vulnerable to predators but it has defensive chemicals in its body that deter would-be attackers."

Sounds like a poison-type moth to me. I've always been skeptical of this theory, but this seems pretty conclusive. I don't think Butterfree evolves from Venonat. I think it was always supposed to be Venomoth, but it does seems like the sprites, at least, were switched.

#5 Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    U44151 likes this.
  6. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    great analysis really,kudos for that digging
    about damn time that nintendo admit they did this and accept the fans theories were right ffs

Wolf Expert likes this.
  7. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Lickilicky's Ultra Sun Pokédex entry: "A contest is under way to determine which one can stick its tongue out the farthest. The current record is...more than 82 feet."

That is almost twice as long as a WAILORD.

DemonicKraken, Gwoomy and Wolf Expert like this.
  8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Wow, so apparently every single Mega Pokémon is in incredible pain. That's fun. Here's Mega Aerodactyl in Moon: "When it Mega Evolves, it becomes more vicious than ever before. Some say that's because its excess of power is causing it pain.". Similarly, in Ultra Sun, non-mega Aerodactyl's dex entry is "Restored from DNA found in amber, this Pokémon exhibited ferocity that was greater than expected. Some casualties resulted." which means Pokémon can and sometimes do kill people.

Aside from that, I like how Cosmog and Cosmoem have the minimum and maximum possible weights displayable in metric. Cosmog is 0.1kg and Cosmoem is 999.9kg, which I take to mean "as weightless as a small cloud of space dust" and "as incredibly heavy as space dust collapsing into a star". I'll do some quick math here: Cosmoem is 4 inches tall, about 10 cm. 1000 cubic centimeters, and a mass of 1,000 kg, this thing is 1000 grams per cubic centimeter. For comparison, pure iron is about 8g per cubic centimeter, which means Cosmoem is about 125 times as heavy as iron. Okay, Cosmoem isn't a perfect cube, so I'll go as low as saying 50 times as heavy as iron. That's still really, really heavy.

9. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    So who likes math and pixel measurements? I do!

Cosmoem is a sphere with 6 ellipsoids. Assuming its height is measure from the tips of the vertical ellipsoids, each of the ovals is around 10.16x11.39x0.92cm. The volume of an ellipsoid is 4/3 x pi x r(1) x r(2) x r(3) where each "r" is one of the three radii. Plugging in our numbers gives us a volume of around 445.97cm^3. Multiplying that by 6, for the area of each oval, gives us an area of 2699.82cm^2, though this is probably a little of an overestimation since a couple of the ellipsoids intersect.

Speaking of intersecting, we need to find the volume of the areas where the sphere intersects with the ellipsoids and subtract from that total we just found. I’ll use the formula to find the area of an ellipsoid again, knowing this will probably under-estimate, but hopefully the over-estimation from the two intersecting ellipsoids helps to cancel that out. Once again assuming the height is measured from the tips of the ovals, we can estimate the diameter of the sphere as being around 6.08cm, so the ellipsoid’s dimensions we’re trying to find the volume for now are 6.08x6.08x0.92cm, with the 0.92 being the thickness of our other ellipsoids. Doing the calculations again, we get a volume of 151.75cm^3. Multiplying that by 6, once for each ellipsoid, gives us 910.50cm^3. The total volume of the ellipsoids subtracted by that number gives us 1789.32cm^3 as the final area of all of the ellipsoids.

Now for the sphere itself, which is comparably very easy. Already knowing that its radius is about 3.04cm, we can use the formula 4/3 x pi x r^3 to find the volume of the sphere, which ends up being 117.68cm^3. Adding that to the ellipsoids gives us 1907cm^3 exactly as the total volume of a Cosmoem.

With a weight of 999.90kg, and the formula D=M/V, we get 0.52kg/cm^3 as Cosmoem’s density. Just so everything is in the same units, the density of iron is 0.0079kg/cm^3. That means that Cosmoem is around 65.82x heavier than iron.

Edit: curse this thread for making me do math out of curiosity!

Absolute Zero likes this.
  10. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    That's why I exercise self-restraint, a little bit of math can be satisfying, but too much makes me hurt myself. Thanks for taking that hit for me!

But it just occurred to me that since Cosmoem's weight in metric is 999.9 kg, it probably isn't actually exactly that, but some undetermined amount higher (kind of like how it's 4 inches tall in imperial, but 0.1 m (100 cm, about 39 inches) tall in metric? Likely a constraint of the display system). Like if you were to get a high score on an arcade machine and it displays that you got 9,999,999 even though you really got 10,020,789, it just got rounded down to fewer digits for display purposes. What if Cosmoem is really 1500 kg? or 4000 kg? or 50000 kg? I think if we were to question its designer at Gamefreak, we would probably be told that Cosmoem has the same density as cosmic material just before its own immense gravity and inward pressure became enough to combust it into a star. I'm not an astrophysicist, but I know that it's incredibly dense.

TL;DR, I'm just trying to say that rather than being 66 times as heavy as iron, Cosmoem is at least that heavy. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but at least as heavy as two happily married Snorlaxes and their daughter and son all together.

11. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    I did actually try converting its weight in pounds to kilograms and it ended up being 999.899kg, which rounds up to 999.9kg. So it actually weighs slightly less than that. It might just weigh that much because that's the maximum, but 2204.4lbs sounds pretty precise.

12. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Wow this one got really buried but I remembered something interesting earlier. Shinx could technically have been considered a fakemon at one point. It was originally "revealed" as a new Pokémon by a magazine as an April fool's joke. Nintendo liked the design, bought it from the magazine, tweaked it a bit, and released it as an official Pokémon in Gen 4.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Why are Pokémon so light? You'd think the Steel and Rock-types would be a lot heavier, but even things like Celesteela and Metagross barely weight over a single ton. X_X

14. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    A truly, truly random fact:

Pokédex entries for Solgalaleo and Lunala in their opposite games (Sol in Moon, Lun in Sun) refer to Solgalaleo as male, and Lunala as female, while both are actually genderless.

and an even more unimportant note i'm the reason that infos on the Pokémon wiki