1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

The cost of gaming

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    The complaint that video games are too expensive is a pretty common one (the counter-argument to this is that they cost too much to make and we're lucky to keep the prices we have, although when the base game is rarely the complete experience due to DLC and season passes, that means very little) and it makes the very act of buying a video game a more considered decision for many: considering the cost (and the horrible trade-in prices retail outlets offer) it needs to be money well spent.

So, how much are you willing to pay for a video game? What represents a good deal to you, and where would you feel short changed? Do you favour quality over quantity in the experience, or a healthy mix of both? Are you the kind of person who would prefer to wait for a sale because of the high price of games, or is money not a consideration?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Because I'm a (3)DS kiddo, my maximum is 40 Euros, because that's the Standard Prize for a 3DS game (idk why, but Nintendo started to make not so famous game franchises cheaper. For example: Mario Bros. 2 still costs 40 Euros which is ridiculos, but even newer games like Wario Ware Gold only cost 35. I don't really understand this, but at least I got it cheap. ^_^)

Also I prefer Retail. It is a Little bit like collecting cards. When I download something, it is just an Icon on my Laptop's screen which isn't that satisfying.

That's why I don't buy "expensive" steam games. 20 Euros is maximum there. Often I need to wait several months for a sale so I can finally buy the game I want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    One of the nice things about being PC Master Race is that we get Steam Sales. With the glory of those sales, I never spend more than about 30% of total price on any game, with very few exceptions for the few publishers that don't do sales at all and also make games that I want just that badly (looking at you, Square Enix).

I'm also a player of relatively cheap taste. I'm totally happy buying an indie game for USD$5-10 and getting a good 40 or 120 hours out of it. My yearly self-allowance for video games might literally be about $80 or less. I'd otherwise get a whole two Nintendo games out of that.

4. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Honestly, it really just depends. If I look at a games trailer and if I feel like it's worth dropping $60, then I will do just that. However, if there is a port of a game that I really want then I will think twice before buying that because I don't think those games are really worth it at full price, so I will just wait for a price drop on those.

Also, if I'm somewhat interested in a game, then I will just wait for a price drop because I have no idea if I will like it or not.

5. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I've got no issue spending the usual going price for a video game. Fortunately I hardly game though, so it's a rarity that I'd buy a game other than Pokémon (or Animal Crossing!) on release. Only game I have with paid DLC is Mario Kart but I got that ages ago and haven't played it for goodness knows how long. =s If I were a more serious gamer I'd be all right with spending the standard $59.99 for a console game on top of some DLC that might come out. It can get expensive, but it's something I'd happily pay for if it meant supporting games/series I was into. Naturally, due to my schedule and needing to be picky with what games I spend my little free time on, I'm more of a quality > quantity type of gamer.

Right now, I mostly play a subsription-based MMO (FFXIV) which runs me $15/month. Can get a little costly when added up but I like to think of them as separate payments rather than consider how much it has cost total haha.

6. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't really buy new games all that often...actually, I can't remember the last time I bought a brand new game. I think I would be willing to pay the $60 if it was a game that I knew I wanted. But because any game I have any interest in buying is an older game on an older gaming system and I'm buying it online, I try not to pay more than $20-$30. If feels like a lot for a game, but when compared to initial store prices, I'm getting a real deal here.

7. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Despite being a lifelong console gamer, I rarely pay $60 for games. I’ll usually either wait for a price drop or find it secondhand. Game price chart websites are my best friend.

8. Infernostar

Infernopaw
    (Quilava)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,978.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I pay as much as I think the game will be worth typically. If I know I want the game and am likely to enjoy it, I'm not afraid to buy full price. If I am on the fence, I'll wait till it goes down a bit. If I know I won't like it, then I don't buy it.

9. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    Games are soooo expensive nowadays. :( I'm back to having many of them falling outside of my comfortable buying range for the most part, which makes it harder for me to pick up new franchises. I understand the prices, however, so I'm just a little bitter. Higher quality production means higher price... Though, I really wish we'd see game developer employees treated better. I see the prices of these consoles and games and then the people making them are milled out like a revolving door...

10. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Keeping it real. A games price to me often gets brought up in review because if a game is good enough I would have paid more to begin with.

It's a weird statement but I feel it's an indicator of quality in whatever game.

11. Dwight

Dwight School Kid

Red Boi
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1.9
    The big considerations for me when deciding if a game is worth the price are developers, franchise, and the age of the game. If a game is new, I like the franchise, and I know the developers are going to do a good job with the game, I am willing to pay the price that they set. However, as these factors start to slip, the price should too. The fact that Pokémon lets go games are still $50 (USD) at walmart is very upsetting. They are great games made by a great developer. However, they were released in 2018. As of this post, that was three years ago. The game should not still be the same price as when it released. At least not until it starts gaining some rarity value. Games like Pokémon Red are an exception to this principal.

12. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Yeah, video games are an expensive hobby and, to this day, remain a privilege not everyone can enjoy. I feel as though that is only made worse by the fact that the prices are indirectly being increased by the introduction of additional services (Pokémon, being the glorious franchise it is, is once again one of the leaders of this development).

So far, I've had the privilege of being able to buy games whenever I want, though it should also be said that I, at maximum, only buy 3-4 games a year, normally. I usually borrow the rest from a nearby library or from a friend. As for the question whether or not the price tag is justified`? If the game is fun, then it sure is. I don't care about the length or "objective" quality. As long as I am having fun playing the game, it is money well spent. I mean, for what other purpose should these games have been made?

13. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,585.5
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Honestly, for me it's either free or nothin'. The games I do have that are paid either came as a gift (Minecraft, Terraria) or from the prize I got during the last raffle here (thanks for that btw!). Nonetheless I do get tempted every time I go window shopping at the local toy store; especially with all these new Nintendo games that Pokémon is releasing.