1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Digital The Ghost Type Gym Leader: Shinigami

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Grimwave, May 23, 2018.

1. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'm posting this really late because I've been procrastinating a lot (and I just plain forgot to post it before), but here it is, finally done.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RegionRunner150 and Gwoomy like this.
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    You rang?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Haha, what a coincidence.

4. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Indeed, especially considering Dusknoir is one of my all-time favorite Pokémon, and my favorite Ghost-type.

5. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Hidden talent, I guess.

6. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    This. Looks. Amazing! I've already said it before on discord, but this looks really good. Sorry for the lack of constructive criticism, I'm not much of an artist myself.

7. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Ahhh looks really awesome! The trainer's design is super cool! Also dusknoir's hands look amazing!

8. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Thanksss, I did focus a lot on on Dusknoir's hands, especially since hands are not my strong point.
    Also, I gave the trainer (a resigned OC) the colors of another ghost type Pokémon.

9. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,671.9
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    this is amazingly amazing. and teach me hands plz

10. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Honestly, I'm pretty bad at hands. I had to redraw the hands so many times before they came out the way I wanted them to. I'd say they took up most of the time during the sketching phase.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    And nobody comments on little Shiny Honedge down there? Nervously holding onto its trainer's leg like a child to their mother's skirt? That's detail, bro. I salute you for that.

All around, this looks good enough that I could see your Dusknoir as being on an official TCG card, though Honedge might want some more detail, like a brushed-steel texture or something so it's not just flat matte color. You've got consistent perspective and both Pokémon have lots of personality showing. The only way I can think to improve this would be with shadows. I admit, maybe the Ghost Pokémon are better off conspicuously lacking shadows, but what of their trainer? Shinigami's still a mortal, material, living human who interacts normally with light... right?

Have you done any other portraits of this style? Somehow I think you could draw a good Accelgor to go with a Bug Gym Leader, an Accelgor with a lot of attitude and a strong glare, especially considering how you put so much personality into both of Dusknoir's faces.

12. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Yes, that is true, Honedge definitely needs some lighting to emphasize that it's metal. I might go back and try to fix that if possible.
    As for the shadowing, originally I tried to do that, but I never really felt satisfied with it. Admittedly, I'm not experienced with adding shadows and when I do it looks somewhat awkward.
    But anyways, thanks! Dusknoir was definitely the main focus and I knew that Honedge needed to be one of his Pokémon.
    Also, I'll consider the Bug-type leader suggestion for sure.