1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Pokémist, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Walkthroughs for most of the video games can be found on internet, so do you see them before playing or when stuck? Do you find walkthroughs helpful? Do you like or hate them?

In my opinion, walkthroughs just ruin the excitement and challenges of the game. Game is meant to be hard so we use our mind and skills to play them. I dont prefer walkthroughs but when I was a kid, I used to visit websites so I can win at the game. But now, I try my best to avoid them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I've written walkthroughs, so naturally I find them helpful. I usually don't use them for a first-time playthrough unless there's a boss that I just cannot get past *coughXaldincough*.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I kind of did the same thing when I was little. Now that I'm older I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out games by myself.

4. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I used to look at them all the time, but now it's only if I'm stuck or so I don't miss something I can't get later. LIke when I had about 8 shrines left in BotW.

5. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I rarely ever use walkthroughs unless it's for a game I've already played and I'm trying to get 100% completion. How else would you be able to find 100 stray beads? (Seriously though Okami had one of the hardest collections ever)

I do use Serebii to catch Pokémon though, so I know I don't pass anything up. I like to catch them all as I go.

6. Panazel

Benefic
    (Latias)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽100.2
    The availability of game walkthroughs, videos or textual, on the net is very helpful for those dang stuckage moments in videogames. For example in SMO I found having a map for some of the Purple Coins was really useful since you can't get hints for those and, on rare occasion, they could be inside areas not even on the map, and those tend to be the most painful to find.

Also, for when the game wants to do a dang kaizo trap or an annoying boss with a cheese strat to it.

7. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I do not use walkthroughs in any form. The closest I'll ever get to something like that is if I'm stuck on a point in the game in particular, and for whatever reason I still can't figure out how to progress - then I'll either ask a friend who has played it (more common), or look up the answer online, probably on a spoiler-free guide (less common). I can't remember the last time I've done that, though, so for all practical intense and purposes, I've never really done this myself.

8. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I watch playthroughs of games I've played, want to play (but can't due to lacking the system, or due to it being a horror game- I can't handle horror games that well at all), or just for the person playing (such as Markiplier or Jacksepticeye. DAGames has also jumped up among them too). During my re-plays of Digimon Dusk, I have come to watching a playthrough of where I was at, as the levels are very confusing and maze-like. (I have legit been stuck in one area for over a hour once)
    I try to play blind for the first time, however post-game collectibles or re-plays are ok on watching others go.

9. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    I use walkthroughs, but a lot of the time I just watch playthroughs, whether because I don't have the game myself or I just like watching someone else's reaction to the game, like Shadria said. I try not to use them though, because it's a lot more satisfying actually figuring something out on your own. But... I'm not very perceptive, so a lot of the time even the most obvious things bypass me.

10. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,183.4
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    If is a game I've played before I really don't care, I just look stuff up since I can't remember everything or I want to try 100% but I'm stuck so I will quickly look it up to see if I'm even doing things right.

11. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    Only if I find myself really stuck in a really stupidly annoying section in a game I'll look up how to get past it, but I don't think I've done full blown walkthroughs (with the exception of BotW ones for certain dungeons) for... quite literally years.

Walkthroughs just aren't my thing anymore. It's weird because whenever I would purchase a game as a kid, I would always make it a thing to have the strategy guide with it. Man, how times have changed.

12. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I only ever use walkthroughs when I'm stuck on something or playing a really precise and difficult JRPG like Persona or Final Fantasy. Because I'm a completionist.

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  13. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽498.9
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I like walkthroughs, but I only use them if I'm absolutely stuck on something and I'm getting annoyed with trying to figure it out. When I was younger I actually worked on my own walkthrough for megaman zx advent. It was fun trying to write it but I never actually finished it.

14. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽799.0
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I prefer to play the game on my own but if there's an absolutely infuriating/frustrating part of the game I might cave in and look up an answer XD

15. Thundawave

Mythical Egg
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽132.8
    I was obsessed with looking at walkthroughs years ago when I wasn't allowed to play video games yet. It was the closest thing I could do to playing a game at the time. I watched and read them so much that my brother began to rely on me to tell him where to go if he got lost.

As for now, I use them if I get stuck, but I try to play through games semi-blind.

16. Poffin

Poffin King of Destruction

Alolan Meowth
    (Alolan Meowth)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,384.2
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I used to collect strategy guides a lot in my younger days... I dunno why. Not usually for the walkthrough part usually, but like game mechanic info. These days I usually just study game mechanics too, but on the internet.

I don't usually need a guide for progressing through games but I really don't like puzzles most of the time and if something takes longer than 15 mins for me to solve I consult a guide, haha. The only exception to that being the Portal games which I actually had fun with and wanted to solve with my own mind.

I also use walkthrough for story-based Visual Novels because I want to get True Endings the first time as well as alternate endings... Going back and getting a different ending can take a lot of trial and error and I'm just playing these for the story. I don't do this for Visual Novel games like Ace Attorney or Danganronpa though because well.. the only part you would even need a guide for is the trial segments and looking up solutions would rob me of some of the fun.

If I were a trophy or achievement hunter I would probably consults guides for that... but no thanks.