1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What inspires you?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Junkrat, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    This is for both writers and artists, and can be interpreted in two different ways.

1) What motivates you to continue making content? Is it because you want to improve? Or because you want feedback from others? Who- or what- keeps you going?
    2) What gives you inspiration for the content you create? Is it consuming other types of media? Or maybe something you experienced that day? What gives you the idea to draw or write a certain piece?

For me, in terms of writing, I get inspired by TV shows and other fanfics. Sometimes I develop my own ideas out of the blue, but if I see or read something I especially like, I try to take something from it that I like the most and kind of twist it to make it my own thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm driven by a combination of wanting to create and wanting to get better. As my primary creative media is writing, I'd eventually like to be a published fiction author, even if my only commercially published story only goes paperback and sells a few thousand copies, I'd still be happy with that. It would be the experience of creating that pushed me and satisfied me in the first place. I don't really care about fame or other people's opinions... except when it comes to improving my craft.

As far as content, I like to make note of impressive bits from other ordinary people telling their life stories and integrate what I like, which I honestly think is similar to taking my own life experience if I had a more exciting life. That and classic literature and legends. Two of my favorite podcasts are Myths And Legends and Fictional, both of which are written/researched by Jason Weiser, and both of which are retellings of various stories from around the world, both ancient and recent. The two latest episodes were his retelling of the Indian story of Jaya and Vijaya, a detail of which I'm probably going to directly model/reference a background of my current fanfic upon. It could easily be added later, but I'm still darn impressed with ancient legends and contemporary life drama, and am grateful for the people who bring those up for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    What motivates me to write is a little different than others. I don't really care for fame (though it would be nice) I don't care for fortune(that's never happening from books), I don't even really care about improving my work. What motivates me to write is to have a set schedule of when I write and sticking too it. No joke, that's my motivation. I'm a very schedule oriented person so if I plan something out, I'll stick to it religiously. I wont work on something unless I schedule time for it so its truly what motivates me.

As for what inspires what I write, that is a far harder question to answer. I've been told that I have a brain like a sponge because I remember everything I'm told. In reality, I remember all the information yet forget the source. When I write, I write with all the information that I've gathered over my life but most of the time I'm uncertain of where that information comes from. I can tell you right now that most of my logic and reasoning gets inspired by the heavy science classes I take but anything beyond that, I don't know/remember what inspires my work. One thing that I do know inspires scenes is songs. They animate my imagination, but most of that imagination is based on previously captured information.

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    My main inspiration for writing was Chief if RAGE who has an amazing on going fic for a TF2/RWBY cross over. He captured all the personalities PERFECTLY and he produced long and content filled chapters that always put a smile on my face.

For making art, it’s just seeing others work. Really good art just blows me away and make me geeked inspired and inferior ;D

5. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    What Keeps Me Both Drawing And Writing Is Because Of Improvement And Expose To Different Area While Learning New Way To Write And New Skills To Draw.

I Can Be Inspire In Any Way Even By Wired Imagination Or The News Article Or Even A Video. I Find Inspiration Anywhere, Anytime.

6. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    What makes me want to write in general is that I enjoy it. I can express my thoughts and emotions much better through writing about fictional characters than I ever will be able to when I'm talking to a real person.

As for my writing content, half the time I'm inspired by music. I will hear such and such a song, and my thoughts are on this or that character, and bam, I have a new story idea. The other half the time, I'm inspired to write something just because it's something that I would like to read myself, and nobody else has written it.

7. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    Inspiration is a fleeting thing for me, so I don't rely on it too much for motivation. That being said, I love seeing other people's art. When I see artists that I admire post new things, I can't help but think about improving my own art. Not in a "my art's not good enough" way, but in a "I wanna be able to create those things too" way. And of course, I love getting positive feedback on my stuff :P

8. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Replying to my own thread, I've recently discovered that the reason I write is... for, well, myself. For the first time I'm creating something I actually want to create. I've always written stories for other people- but in the end they'd get abandoned because while others enjoyed them, I didn't. So making works that I actually really like is really preventing me from losing interest or just giving up on them. Other people enjoying it is just a bonus.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Listening to music or watching movies/tv shows always helps to inspire me and is my main source of inspiration. (Of course this is only for my non-Pokémon and fandom works).

10. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    honestly?? my main motivator is "nobody else will draw/write this if you dont" because i like super obscure things haha

but i really do want to improve on the side!! one of the things that inspires me is looking at "better" (hate using that term but ill use it for this) art or writing and maybe pick up a few tips from there? like "how can i put features of this shading into my own art?" or "why do i like this authors word choice and would that spice up my words a bit?" and other stuff like that! of course you shouldnt copy the inspiration but just sprinkle lil bits of what you like into what you do!

11. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Whenever I make banners, signatures, and userbars, the primary thing that motivates me is seeing it unfold. For me, I love starting with a single thing, the focal point, and then adding and manipulating. I like how I can transform something so simple into a sort of work of art haha.

When I first started doing gfx(let's pretend I can actually do it), I was enamored with other people's work and how they got their end result. I enjoyed looking up tutorials and following their steps. It was amazing to see how so many steps went into a single, cohesive piece of work. Soon enough, I began adopting those techniques and making it sort of my own.

For me, every layer has a purpose, a story, a function. I love it.

12. KitChuPi

KitChuPi Camper

kirby
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽33.5
    Poké Ball ★
    It's usually my dreams who inspire me. But sometimes I can forget them, so I always take note the moment I wake up

13. CountessGardevoir

PokéPoints:
    ₽350.5
    I'm usually inspiried by my dreams and other people's work

14. Encrylox

Encrylox Swimmer

Mischief
    (Misdreavus)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽832.4
    What got my inspired was a few things. One, It's because I was inspired by the art from others and I strive to make great art. Two, it makes me feel accomplished on doing something that I chose to do of my own volition, completely independent from initial pressure. And three, It's because the people I know and taught me at first, they were really great artists and I look up to them, I want to inspire as they have inspired. It's been two years since that start, but I've come a long way.

If I can sum it up the best way, I do it because I want to be seen by many as an inspiration.

15. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    My mind is an endless pool of loose, disconnected ideas and concepts, so I never really have a lack of creative flows. Motivation, on the other hand, is a lot harder to come by. I always end up with half-finished projects that I really like, but never got around to really finishing, so they remain in my mind forever and clutter my mind because I don't want to forget them.

16. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    This sounds so cliche but seeing other art really motivates me. I might see a neat style and it really pumps me up because a lot of the times I might try something similar. Also having a good support system around me and knowing that someone will always be there to support my art no matter how bad it may be.

17. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    For my what is inspiring is talking to other artists and writers and be inspired by them. I don't think I would have come this far without people supporting me.