1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

What is your opinion on gender differences?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Feb 13, 2019.

1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,152.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Gen 4 brought us gender differences for certain Pokémon. What is your opinion on them, and which is your favorite?

Personally I think the gender differences was a good thing to add. It gives some Pokémon a little bit more character. I’m upset that gen 4 onwards have very few Pokémon with gender differences, and they’re all the very obvious ones. And gen 7 didn’t have any.

My favorite is...
    [​IMG]
    Female Heracross! I love her cute little heart horn.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sheinxy

Sheinxy Black Belt

Milky
    (Shinx)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,893.6
    I don't really have any opinion on these, apart from them being a nice feature to have

My favorite gender difference?
    Idk, maybe Torchic because of how invisible it is x3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I really like gender differences, if they're actually distinct. I'm not too fond of the whole 'oh, the female's teeth/fangs are a little bit shorter'. I like it when the males and females are entirely different looking, like the Nidorans. I think my favorites though are Unfezent. Both male and female versions look cool, but I love how the male is the more colorful one, because that's how birds really are.

4. Riddles

Riddles Extra Spooky

Grimm
    (Duskull)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,645.4
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    One that I think really needs a gender difference is Sawsbuck. The fact that the females have antlers has always bothered me a lot more than it probably should.

5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    What do you mean my female Hippowdown isn't shiny?

6. Glitxel

Mya
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽295.4
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★
    I dont really mind if Pokémon have a gender difference or not. Though I think my favorite has to be Meowstics gender difference. Both forms look so neat and elegant

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,021.5
    I liked having the subtle differences between males and female of different species and wish they didn't stop doing that. It added an extra sense of realism to the Pokémon that made them feel more 'alive'. Changes like males haveing longer horns/claws/whatever or females having a different color scheme reflect the differences that many real animals have between males and females, which I thought was a really nice touch.

RadEmpoleon likes this.
  8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    To be frank I feel like gender differences, aside from Pikachu, are kinda obscure and honestly not much more than a little trivia fact. Maybe when you first find them it’s like “hey cool” and after that it doesn’t really matter.
    Unless, of course, we’re talking things like Gallade and Salazzle.

9. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I really liked this addition and wished it returned! Many of the differences were minor, but it gave each species a little extra flavor.

My favorites are: the shorter feather on female Sneasel, the thicker stripes on male Ludicolo, the longer cape on Roserade, female Hippowdown, and male Meowstic.

10. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,367.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Random animal fact of the day. Female reindeer get antlers as well though they are generally shorter. They get them around winter and males lose theirs in autumn, so technically all of Santa's reindeer are ladies :D Though I agree that Sawsbuck are most likely based on other species of deer and probably should have a more drastic difference between the two, foliage differences in the fur or something so they can keep the seasonal gimmick.

I like the gender differences in Pokémon and I actually learned about all the tiny ones last year or so. I was impressed that they actually went that far for tiny edits that would go unnoticed so often.

My favorites are Heracross and Wobbufett, Heracross is cute and Wobbufett makes me laugh every time.

Riddles likes this.
  11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I really love the gender differences. They add so much variety to the Pokémon and make you feel like the gender matters and isn't just a random symbol next to your health bar that will remind you that you have a male while you watch your Pokémon slowly faint. My favorite gender variety is the Meowstic pair. Not only are they visually distinct from one another in their unique way, but despite having the exact same stats, the way they are supposed to be played differs per gender. The most clear way to see this is with the unique hidden abilities for each gender.

12. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I think this is a interesting feature that could be used more (maybe a gym leader that uses all female/male Pokémon?) but I think its in a good spot right now! I think it helps add more variety to everything and is just a cool tiny feature. My favorite is honestly probably just female pikachu. I really like the tail haha.