1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

DeltaRune (new Undertale game)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wolf Expert, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've seen a few people posting fanart in the Discord server and I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread for this, so here ya go!

A few days ago Toby Fox released chapter 1 of DeltaRune, which is completely free to play. It's not exactly a sequel, Toby has said it doesn't follow the same timeline or take place in the same world as Undertale, but a lot of the characters have returned and it very much feels like an Undertale game, with a few updated mechanics. It's essentially like a canon Undertale AU.

What do you think of the new mechanics? How about the music and the story so far? Who's your favorite character and why is it Ralsei?

Make sure if you talk about anything plot related that you put it in a spoilers tab for people who haven't played it yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I haven't finished it yet,
    I just went through the big doors with Ralsei
    but I'm so hyped already. I hope I'll have time to play the first game before it comes out lmao.
    I absolutely love Ralsei's face. Purest boi.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I love floof child ;A;

I really liked the new fight mechanics! And the banter between the main characters was a lot of fun! I wanna know what's happening! I wanna know what's happening!!

If you want more info about Toby's plans for the next chapters check out this.
    Also if you dont wanna see the whole thing, here's the relevant quote:
    There's no set timeline so don't get your hopes up for the next chapter anytime soon! But still! Hype!

4. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    I'd play it, but I'm too bad at Undertale to want to try my hand at its "sister game." I mean, I'd love to, but I'm not at all that kind of gamer. But when I see anything on it, I'll see if it'll be something I can get behind 100%.
    But, and I'll be honest here, it does seem like a great game so far. Maybe one day it'll gain the hype of Undertale, but let's see one day.

5. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I watched a full play through and let me say that I love it. The battle system seems about as good as Undertale, the dialogue is funny as ever, and Ralsei is basically what everyone imagined Asriel was like when he wasn’t either insane or super sad. I love Ralsei, but I actually slightly prefer Lancer. The guy is so funny! It’s as if Papyrus tried to be evil and gave up halfway through because he was just too nice. Susie was a bit underwhelming to me, but she has a decent character. I’d say she’s at least better than Alphys, maybe Asgore too. Either way, love the game, and can’t wait for more in the distant future! Also, is this an AU where the humans lost the war? Because only Kris (obviously a Chara stand-in) is human in the whole town. Asriel is alive. Undyne has both eyes. Gerson is dead. Grillby’s isn’t a thing. Etc. Theories aside, it’s a fun adventure.

6. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme

I got all the way to the boss, the big goat guy, Toriel's ...husband? Son? The room where there are coffins, and then one is empty and you fight him in the other room. Anyway, it was too hard for me, and I had to give up. (I ran a neutral run so I'm not really worried about missing out on something.)

Should I still play this game?

delta.png

7. Sheinxy

Sheinxy Black Belt

Milky
    (Shinx)
    Level 40
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,893.6
    Who is my favorite character? => Just look at my profile picture
    Why is it Ralsei? => BECAUSE BEST CUTEST FLUFFY BOY TO HAVE EVER EXISTED I LOVE HIM SO MUCH I WANNA HUG HIM <3

Apart from this, I just really loved this game, more than I liked Undertale, I think that Deltarune is better looking than Undertale, and the fight system is so much better, however I think that Undertale's OST is better

8. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    I like to think Susie is kind of like what would happen if Alphys and Undyne had a kid.

I think I need to replay to confirm it because I'm not sure, but I'm not sure there are ever any mentions of the war or the underground. I think this might be a version of the world where the war never even happened. I remember seeing a book that said something about the relations between humans and monsters, but I don't think it mentioned the war.
    It would make sense if Kris was supposed to be this world's version of Chara too. They still end up with the Dreemurs, but they don't have a reason to die and neither does Asriel, so that's why they're both still alive in this game. The timeline seems a little weird though since I thought that Chara fell about a century before Frisk did. At least, it's implied at one point. So it's a little weird that there are so many characters around from Undertale. Of course, if it is an AU, it could just be that Asriel was born later and Kris was adopted later too. Which might explain why it's Kris and not Chara too.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  9. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I don’t know how many of you have noticed this, but “Deltarune” is an anagram of “Undertale”, and so is “Ralsei” and “Asriel”. “Kris” is a loose anagram of “Frisk” without the “F”.

Anyways, I haven’t played the game yet, but I looked at the characters and the basic plot, and I’d have to say I quite like it. I like Berdly for the reason being he’s a birb and a nerd. His design and personality reminds me of Falco from Star Fox.

As for the other characters, I like Ralsei for the reasons said by everyone else above. Susie’s okay, but she seems too stereotypical and is basically a carbon copy of Undyne. I don’t really have much opinion on Kris, just like how I don’t have any opinion on Frisk.

10. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    1. Compared to UnderTale's mechanics, I'd say it's a step up from before. A shame the meta-narrative wasn't very present in DeltaRune, but I'm not that upset over that. My morals have always stopped me from doing a genocide route anyway (adding Susie as a sort of guest character fighting things beyond your control for the first half of the game certainly made battles more engaging).
    2. Music is TOP NOTCH, exactly what I'd expect from Toby (My personal favorite is the last song in the credits, with lyrics sung by Laura Shigihara herself. Gave me goosebumps). As for the story, it kinda reminded me of the events that took place in UnderTale, but with an Alice in Wonderland/classic fantasy anime vibe put in, if that makes sense. I liked it a lot, especially that twist ending oh my gooooooosh.
    3. It's a tie between Susie and Ralsei for me. Susie, because of her character growth: from school bully to loyal friend, all because of one little spade guy admiring her awesomeness. Ralsei, for obvious reasons. He is the most precious fluffy boy in the world (Theory: Ralsei is simply the dark-world version of Asriel, not the actual brother of Kris. The reason being is all dark-world residents have colored portraits while the light-world residents' portraits such as Susie's are monochrome.)
    On another note, it is confirmed by Toby himself that the game is an alternate universe. As for the history of said universe, that is still up to debate and will probably be explained once the full game is released. I'd rather hold off on theorizing such things until then. In the mean time, I'm enjoying all the DeltaRune fan art coming out. :D

#10 Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
  11. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Yoo so I had this theory. I haven't seen anyone else anywhere mention it yet.

So for a few days something has been kind of bothering me about how DeltaRune ended. But when I realized what it was, it really freaked me out. Even in Undertale, there's been a sort of meta-awareness of the player being a separate entity from the PCs. Flowey talks to you, the player, at one point, and so does Chara at the end of the Genocide path.

And that's what's so disturbing. Because at the end of DeltaRune

[​IMG]

Assuming this is Chara. Obviously this isn't THE Chara, the human character who fell into the Underground before the start of Undertale, since this character's name is Kris. There are still some unanswered questions about this, but thinking back on it, what if there was something more literal about Chara being a demon? Like if something has actually possessed Chara? There are a lot of religious themes in the series, so I don't think it's completely out of the question.

So onto my theory, I'm sure everyone knows about Gaster by now, however little there is currently to know about him. Now this is kind of a stretch, but I think the Chara jumpscare from the end of the Genocide run looks kind of similar to the mystery man, who's though to be Gaster.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The creepy thing about Gaster though is that each of the characters in the game have a number assigned to them. Gaster's is 666. The fun value needed to access the room with the Mystery Man is 66, which seems to suggest that they're at least linked in some way. Another weird thing is that in the Omega Flowey battle, you can hear Gaster's theme playing when you face one of the human souls, which seems kind of weird. So here's my theory.

What if Gaster IS what was possessing Chara and Kris? And at one point the other fallen human whose soul you face in the Flowey battle? Presumably the voice you hear at the start of DeltaRune is Gaster's. Presumably Gaster was meant to be the one posting on the Undertale twitter leading up to DeltaRune's release. Presumably Gaster is the one who wrote the terms and conditions asking us to "Accept whatever happens from now on". Gaster is fully aware of our existence. It would only make sense that he would be able to talk to us through Chara and acknowledge us through Kris. Gaster, Chara, and Kris are also all noted to have creepy smiles, I believe.

What if a monster's soul could survive outside of its body after death, the way a humans could, if it was injected with enough determination? The very thing that Gaster was working on? Everything before said that a monster's soul couldn't be absorbed by a human because they don't persist after death, but what if that's something like what happened to Gaster?

I'm not entirely sure what Sans and Papyrus would have to do with this; all of the evidence before pointed towards the two of them being fragments of Gaster from when he died. But if it's true that he was "spread throughout time and space" it makes sense that pieces of him could end up in alternate universes and even create Sans and Papyrus at different times, leading to Papyrus being the "younger" brother, and another more malicious version of Gaster could still exist as a separate entity from them.

12. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Favorite character (so far)?:
    Jevil. His fight looks so fun, I'm addicted to his theme right now, and..I don't mind some mischief mischief. Lol

I know it'll be a LONG time before we get much more, but I already have a few theories.
    1. Noelle's dad will die at some point.
    At the hospital we see Noelle's dad within a room. It's implied he's been there for a little bit, with the roses from Asgore, and how he said that Asgore has visited him a few times. While talking with her, he slips that 'she should stop waiting for him' before stating she should bring the game she was playing over. Seeing how he stated that she gets scared easily, I wouldn't doubt that he would avoid telling her that he is in fact 'falling down' to keep her from being too upset or scared. I also feel that after his death, Kris (and maybe even Susie) will have a moment to try cheering Noelle up (maybe Berdly, but something deep down tells me that Berdly would end up showing a lack of care or say something that make it 10x worse for Noelle.). If Susie gets involved, this could be the moment where Noelle sees that Susie's really a nice person under her tough facade.
    2. Ralsei isn't as sweet as everyone thinks.
    This may just be me and my love of the classic cliche 'Sweet friend backstabs MC'. Perhaps Ralsei gets into something he shouldn't and turns evil... or maybe he was evil from the start and planned to kill the human and the monster from the legend so he could rule over both worlds? Maybe he'll gain a larger, dangerous form, ala Asriel Dreemurr's God of HyperDeath form.
    3. Sans won't do anything besides comic relief.
    A lot of people have theorized that Sans will be a important character later on, like how he kinda was in Undertale (implied importance, at least, with all his secrets and knowing of resets). What if this time around he really doesn't know anything and just spends time working at the grocery store and making puns?
    4. The 'Chara' being we saw taking over Kris at the end was in fact Kris.
    The game's NPCs mention that Kris (while in our control) is acting much different than usual. How Kris scared people (notably Noelle, by hiding under her bed, putting ketchup on their arms like blood, ect) and didn't say much. At the end of the game, Kris rips out 'his SOUL' and takes on a scarier, darker demeanor before creepily smirking at the screen. What if the SOUL isn't his, but us- the Player. In the end, 'What you do doesn't matter'- Kris is still Kris, a dark prankster, even though you pushed him to a pacifistic run. What you had him do doesn't matter to him...

13. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Hoooo boy, I just tried my hand at the secret boss fight and it's really hard. One thing I will say is that the controls in DeltaRune feel a lot more... floaty? than they did in Undertale and I'm not really used to it yet.

14. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I've not gotten the chance to play it yet but boy it looks fun heck I haven't even played normal undertale yet. Though when I look at how Deltarune is played compared to undertale it looks kinda confusing to give us one set of mechanics we're used to then introduce a bunch of new ones at least they kept the using the soul to dodge sort of thing.

15. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,087.7
    I haven't had the chance to play it yet due to school, but my sister has already completed it. She loved it so much and her favorite character seems to be Lancer. I've only seen the game up to when you first team up with Ralsei, but I really like it so far. The characters seem really fun and the story already intrigues me.

PoserPanda likes this.
  16. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,351.7
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I've tried it with a friend, and it's bloody glorious. And because of the fluff poking out of his hat, I thought Ralsei was an owl for the first 5/6 of the game. I feel stupid.

17. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Wait, he isn't an owl? Next you'll be telling me that Susie isn't a purple alligator / crocodile.

18. Shadria

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    @PoserPanda
    Well...she doesn't seem to have a tail...? lol

I honestly picked up that Ralsei was a boss monster as soon as I saw him. ^^ I was surprised to see that there were people who didn't know that the first few days in!

19. Wolf Expert

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Yeah I thought so too. I did notice that Ralsei's name was a play on Asriel's name right away though, so that might be part of the reason.

PoserPanda likes this.
  20. Shadria

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    For me, it was the little fangs you could spot on the face. That instantly screams 'Boss Monster' to me ^^