1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by ChocoChicken, Dec 23, 2022.

1. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Sounds good. Do you want fall damage reduction to be a more "safety hover"/reaction speed sort of thing like the one in Owl House if you've seen it, or more of a damage absorption thing? If you pick the first you can also use it on items, if you pick the second you can use that as a Mario stomp on people. Also, the first will have a bit of RNG in that there's a chance to negate all damage, whilst the second will always remove some damage but not all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,560.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    I've been envisioning the damage absorption thing in the first place, so... the second one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    @SAF
    Right! Now consider this spell list made, then. I'll go note em down. Congrats!

WavePearl likes this.
  4. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,960.8
    I said I would put something down for spells today so here I am.
    First, some general ideas for wind-based spells, roughly ordered by increasing power/level. You can tell me what level these might actually be.
    1. Create a continuous breeze that can disperse smoke, fog, etc
    2. Create a quick burst of air strong enough to shove someone/something a short distance
    3. A stronger version of 1 that speeds up people moving with the wind and slows down people moving against the wind
    4. Some form of physical projectile deflection ("physical" meaning arrows, rocks, etc)
    5. A stronger version of 4 that now also deflects magical projectiles
    6. A limited form of flight, only for the caster?
    7. Create a small cyclone that suck things in and throw them around

Second, stuff for Ando specifically. I said I wanted him to lean towards Battlemage stuff, right? His main form of offense is "poke people with long pointy stick", so I'd want spells that can enhance his physical abilities or his spear. I saw a few things in earlier posts about a couple of these (basic strength boost, make weapon magical); a personal speed boost would also keep the air/wind flavor.

Thoughts so far?

5. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Ooh, those look fun.

Here's some level scalings, but they're sorta rough.
    1. As it currently is, I'd say 2 or 3 ish, depending on how strong the breeze itself is. At 3 I would say it could also make it move the smoke and fog as desired.
    2. That's a solid 2 there.
    3. Yep, that's a 3-4, with the 4 just having a stronger strength overall.
    4. Tough one. I can say I can level that to what you want depending on how you're envisioning it. Shield, the wind vortex idea from the spear spin, pure redirection - that would all depend.
    5. For magical protection I'll say 3 is the minimum, but it'll probably be a bit higher. You'll need a 5 to redirect any of the real strong stuff.
    6. Flight... 4 or 5. Earlier would be a jump boost or minor hover when falling, but if you want to hover straight into the air, that is at least a 4.
    7. For a cyclone like that, 5. Big cyclone? That can probably be a 6.

Solid start! As for the Battlemage stuff, yeah, you can enhance either. Spear enhancements could also enlarge your weapon or elongate it temporarily. I'll also let you elongate-delongate in one turn in a fight as well if you need it for movement or the like.

6. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,960.8
    OK, that gives me an indication of how these things scale.
    Looking at SAF's spell list above, Ando's starting set might look like this:
    • Dexterity boost (1 pt)
    • Minor hover while falling (2 pts)
    • Shoving burst of air (2 pts)
    • Something else (2 pts)
    For the projectile deflection spell, the spear spin idea was what I had in mind. A higher level alternative would be to create a wall of wind that outright blocks projectiles from passing through. I'm also envisioning a "capstone spell" (if that's what you want to call it) similar to D&D's Investiture of Wind, but I don't expect to get something like that anytime soon.

SAF likes this.
  7. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Hmmm. Here's some ways I can try to put that into Luminous.
    For a general, I'll let this be a "Wind Control Spell" with a number of effects possible, sort of like how I've been treating constructs and transmutations. The individual effects would be some what like... shaping the wind below Ando to help him fly, whilst the control on the enemy would cause the damaging wind swirl?

You could also split this into two spells - one offensive/crowd control, being the tornado or wind blast from earlier, and the other defensive (wrap the wind around yourself) and the like. Then they'd both be stronger in that sense.

So it all depends. It's a solid spell for a capstone or two, and I can easily see em coming from your earlier spell list.

As for a suggestion for the "Something else", I would suggest you pick up the weapon infusion for Battlemage (cast spell through weapon), or something similar just so you can invest in the Level 3s as soon as they're open. Or you can go for something else Battlemage flavored, like weapon enlargement or hovering or you know, whatever you want.

On the note of Level 3s I'm surprised nobody has gone for them (the other party I've been running this for all immediately went for Level 3s), but that's fair enough. Play how you wanna play.

8. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,960.8
    Ok, let's fill in the last slot with the weapon infusion. I imagine Ando would use his spear to direct his spells anyway, so that makes sense.

I'd also want to get a "recall weapon" spell so he can call his spear back to him if he throws it at something.

9. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    I'm all for it. You want to swap something from your current list for it, or do you want to just keep it in mind for the future?

10. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,960.8
    Keep it in mind for the future, probably for whenever we "level up" next.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  11. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,899.9
    @ChocoChicken

Now I'm starting to realise that having 10-11 spells is quite a lot, and I'm trying to wrap my head around with 3 already. Let me revise Robin's initial set of skills... (in which Robin is subject to adding more spells to his arsenal). And I've further refined Minerva's skillset. However, I could use some input on what her Level 6 skill would be like.

How is this for Level 1s?
    1. Young Crow (2)
    2. Thundershock (2)
    3. Sword Infusion (2)
    4. Sand Attack (1)
    1. Thundershock
    2. Charge Beam
    3. Shock Wave
    4. Thunderbolt
    5. Thunder
    6. Thoron
    1. Basic infusion to cast spells
    1. Crow form - Minerva can fly
    2. Minerva gains introductory Surveillance to briefly project a rough map for Robin
    3. Wyvern form - Minerva can Mark two enemies by flying in their faces and expose them to increased damage from allies. Surveillance upgraded to detect items
    4. Surveillance upgraded to detect allies/enemies
    5. Surveillance upgraded to accurately detailed map while able to share vision with Robin. Minerva can Mark a third enemy.
    6. Minerva must commit to either use Whirlwind to Rescue allies or Tailwind to enable everyone a certain reroll, but not both
    1. Sand Attack
    2. Mud Bomb
    3. Manipulate ground to raise small hills or equivalent
    4. Manipulate ground to create barriers, earthquakes, or equivalent
    5. Manipulate ground to create small fortresses
    In the case of Minerva, let's just say that she is able to provide more support abilities as she 'grows'. She starts off only by observing, and then learns to attack by Level 2. It would be kind of sad, though, if Robin was just pretending that his summon was Minerva. Let's say that his summon of Minerva is made from his memories.

I haven't got a clue what next five levels of Sword Infusion will look like.

#251 Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    SAF likes this.
  12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Hmm, okay. I am limiting a full Construct like Minerva to be level 3 or above, which might require some spell changing from your end. Wakeng's shield gets a pass for Level 2 because it is like... barely classified as a Construct.

First, just to clear up - not every spell requires 6 levels. Some spells can only exist above certain levels. It's just an indicator of strength, and besides, you're not going to have ten level 6 spells, I've mentioned before your maximum will be roughly 40 points.

Now on to the rest?

For Minerva's three abilities, I would actually have them kind of be skill trees on their own. A Construct is really supposed to mimic a spell in that it does one thing really well, or a very specialized few things, but Minerva seems to have quite a few differing abilities. What I can do is give Minerva her first base ability at level 3, and the other abilities themselves would take some points separately - but they would also not take up Robin's spell list, if that's a concern. They'd just be considered like "Minerva: Surveillance Mode" and "Minerva: Support Mode" and "Minerva: Rescue Mode" or the like.

As for the actual spell list, I can let a level 2 early spell for Minerva be a type of minor Surveillance (so long as you word it enough to make it a sorta-construct), which will at level 3 become a full working Minerva?

I might need you to explain Surveillance more. Anything and everything can be an item, although I guess Minerva could be used for suggestions. But if you're looking for more "scouts ahead and sends visions to Robin" sort of thing, I'll allow that.

As for your sword infusion, you can have enchants on your sword the way I mentioned some other Battlemage skills for Ando. Make your sword larger, enhance its size, make it hover and attack on its own, etc.

So yeah. Minor changes may be required with the whole Summoning thing. And if you're wondering what a level 1-2 Summoning spell may be, there's the Energy Restoration for the simple one, or the route Wakeng took with the shield. Something that's just short of a full Summon, that is.

Also FYI for all players! "Enemies and allies" is gonna be a more gray area in Luminous. With the right actions you can try and convince anyone to your side - or at least to stop fighting, with the wrong ones you can make a foe. You can talk during your fights and argue with the enemy all you want, and even Undertale-style spare your enemy or change their mind during a fight, if you play your cards right.

122 Generation and SAF like this.
  13. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Just to confirm, that's Kanaru picking a flute, right?

14. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 32
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,842.5
    @ChocoChicken

Yes, that is correct--she'll likely get a bow later.

15. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,899.9
    @ChocoChicken

In that case - and it would be much easier to handle - I've limited Minerva to Level 4 and simplified her skills accordingly. She starts off with a minor form of Surveillance (which - to answer your question - allows her to survey a given space from the air to detect positions of items/allies/enemies to gather intelligence for Robin) at Level 2. By the time she is a wyvern at Level 3, she gains support skills in Marking opponents and can perform rescues.

She could also have her own set of skill points, but I think that would make her overcomplicated, so probably best to scale to Robin since the Luminous is sourced from Robin.

16. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,560.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Actually, is this too fancy for a starter dagger?
    upload_2023-6-23_19-24-21.png

17. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    Right. I won't make it too much later, don't worry.

All right, if that's how ya wanna roll. I'll note it all down.

Oh, by the way, if you want, you can "combine" skills once you're high enough level. Say Robin has his level 6 lightning spell, he could make it in the shape of a giant Minerva before blasting his enemies with "lightning breath" or idk I've never wyverned a Fire Emblem. Actually wait that's not really combining skills so that's not a great example but you get the idea.

Speaking of Fire Emblem there's actually one hint I can give to the story, especially since you guys have like 0 hint of how it's gonna get, but I'll only give it if you all want it.

I'd make it a straight blade (would also tie in medically, you know, scalpel. Also less war crime-y as serrated weapons are actually a war crime IRL (light hearted joke BUT true fact)) but yeah it's all right.

Also on the war crime thing! Unless you're directly planning on causing long term harm to someone or it's story dramatic I'm running on RPG logic where slashing someone's face with a sword makes them flash red /j but anyway the stabbing won't you know stab.

That being said, an active Luminous in itself provides some protection, especially if you're up against someone throwing you around like a ragdoll (also part of why you literally collapse once it dissipates in battle). This is why if someone's pulling out their Luminous (equivalent to drawing a sword or pulling out a gun), you should always pull yours out too, unless you're actively making a point out of "I refuse to defend myself/I believe you're bluffing".

#257 Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    SAF likes this.
  18. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,560.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Aight. In that case, if not Elio, I'll let that Craiyon dagger pic be Wakeng's dagger if @Jupjami wants. :thumbsup:

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,151.9
    By limiting I mean the minimum skill, not the maximum haha. Rescuing entirely might be a Level 4 skill but I'll let the Mark be a level 3 addition, though it'll be more limited there. For now I'll keep the limit as Minerva can perform one skill per summon between Surveillance and Mark - once she's at level 3 that is.
    For the levelling method you can either link the skills to Robin himself (Mark and Rescue that is) and let Minerva's later ability be that Robin can cast a spell through her, or you can have it so that her abilities upgrade as she does. But it's for balance - I'm not exactly for someone levelling up 4 skills with 1 point while someone else has to split theirs between their skillset.

Also, for the current Level 2, it'll have Minerva travel up, then project the visions to Robin before disappearing. She'll stick around longer at level 3 for more continuous searching.

That okay? If it is I'll mark Robin's skills down too.

20. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,560.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    And now I'm curious. :smug: