1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mega Evolution vs. Z-Moves

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Sheep, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Which of the two additions to the 3DS main series Pokémon games did you prefer and why? How often did/do you use mega evolved Pokémon on your team? What about Z-Moves?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,060.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Neither of them really I barely use either while playing since I don't really play competitively and don't battle much at all. Bot hare useful, one is a one time nuke while the other will remain constant till is removed from the field both have their uses. I do seem to use Z-Moves more atm but that's mainly due to the games I current do my nuzlocke runs in although is not uncommon for me to ban the use of megas and z-moves doing runs. I do use them when battling other people even if is kinda rare for me to battle others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Mega Evolution is much better because it completely changed yet appearance and made my boy, Zard, viable. S and M unfortunately made getting Charizardiate pretty hard. (Mostly Y since it looks the coolest)

Z Moves are a little more gimicky in my opinion. I love that I can finally make Feraligatr a little more cinematic like Charizard is now but..... why have Waterium Z when I can have Sheer Force and Life Orb?

So yeah, Mega beats Z by 15 longshots

4. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    To be honest, I like both just fine. Though I don't like how much Z-Moves seem to have replaced Mega Evolutions. When Z-Moves were first announced I actually thought that they were replacing Z-Moves and that Pokémon that previously had Mega Evolutions would simply be shown Mega Evolving when using Z-Moves and then change back, removing the actual mechanic. Part of me thinks that using Z-Moves with a Mega Evolving Pokémon should work that way, to be honest.
    Overall I just prefer Mega Evolution over the 'standard' Z-moves used by the elemental Z-Crystals, but I hold unique Z-Moves that can only be used by a specific Pokémon in the same regard as Mega Evolution.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Z-moves, because those don't cause insane levels of pain and suffering on the Pokémon that use them, unlike Mega-Evolution. T_T

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I honestly think they both could be improved. Many Z-moves seem under-whelming either in their stat boost or it seems like the best use of an attacking move is its breakthrough on Protected Pokémon. Also, could we get different Special and Physical attacks for Z-moves, even if it's just aesthetic? Thanks.

Mega Evolution, on the other hand, runs so contrary to everything I knew about Pokémon for the first 5 generations: every Pokémon had a maximum of three evolution stages, no exceptions: until now when there's arguably 4 stages for a dozen and a half Pokémon. Sure, it adds usefulness to Pokémon that were previously under-utilized, but they could have added evolutions onto those like they did so much in Gen 4, suddenly improving Electabuzz and Magmar and Porygon 2 after a generation or more. Why not give Mawile and Sableye and Pinsir and Houndoom additional evolutions to bring them up to speed with most other fully evolved Pokémon, even if it is late? Despite all this bashing, I am hopeful to get more Mega Evos in the near future, hopefully before the visit to Kalos. Johto and Kanto Starter Megas? Yes please. More than one Mega Evo for Gen 5, 6, 7 Pokémon? Also yes please.

As for the pain of Mega Evolution: no pain, no gain; it's a sacrifice of comfort for strength. The bright side is that they're likely to get whooped less hard by their opponent, so they're saving that pain at least.

Mandriel likes this.
  7. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I think both are pretty cool, I agree with Negative Zero that Z moves could use a bit more variety between kinds of moves that get "Z'd"
    I think that Mega Pokémon are alright, but while some get the love they need, it still feels like only popular Pokémon get a mega. (Mewtwo, and charizard for example)

As for this part of mega evolution, I have a personal theory that this is tied to the relationship between Pokémon and trainer. It's only horrifyingly painful if there isn't a bond to soak u the pain.

8. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,034.0
    I have my own theory, which is that the negative effects of Mega Evolution are only if you use a Z-Ring instead of a Mega Bracelet. The Mega Bracelet (and similar items) is designed specifically for Mega Evolution, so is likely made in such a way to harness the energy properly without any problems. The Z-Ring, on the other hand, is not designed for Mega Evolution and therefore cannot harness the energy properly, causing the negative side effects that the Pokédex entries talk about.

9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Z-moves are fun sometimes. Like stated before, they are one time nukes that can go through protected Pokémon. I find that Z-moves are more versatile than mega evolution since any Pokémon can strap on a Z-crystal. I like them for their power and diversity, but I don't like their one time use. Z-moves aren't like mega evolution and I feel like constraining them to the same rules as mega evolution is hammering the Z-moves usefulness. Just think of how things would change if there was a 10 or 5 turn cool down for Z-moves. There really is no lore stopping this from happening unlike in the mega evolution and I think it would only help Z-moves. However, in its current state, I never use it. I always save it for that one situation I'll need it, but it never arises. Right now I only use it as a gimmick when I've already won or because I want to see Ultra Necrozma steal all the light in the world to wreck everything, then turn back to normal.

I personally like Mega evolution above the two. The power of a Mega lasts for an entire battle where z moves fall flat on that front. Although I'm not keen on Pokémon getting a mega stage of evolution over getting a standard evolution *cough*(Lopunny, Lucario and the many others)*cough*, but I do love the designs and the freedom to build teams around these megas. I use mega far more than Z-moves because I don't have to save it. I can freely switch if I want, the mega isn't op and overall, I can click the mega button without worry. As for the pain of mega evolution...well with z-moves, you quite literally move mountains and steal all the light in the world multiple times. That can't be good for the environment.

10. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I haven't played the games with these particular dynamics, so my opinion is based purely off of what's in the anime, but it's an opinion nonetheless.

Um...I think I like Z-moves. Mega evolution looks totally awesome, and it can be super powerful, but it's limiting. Z-moves are powerful, and (for the most part) they go with a Pokémon typing, not a single specific Pokémon, so anybody can use Z-moves. Mega evolution is restricted to those who just so happen to have a Pokémon that can mega evolve.

11. FedoraMelody

FedoraMelody Singing Sylveon

Sylvie
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽104.6
    Misty's EmblemDeep Sea Scale ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    IMO it just depends on the Pokémon. Like how Mega Absol is gorgeous but sadly no good for battle. While on the other hand you have some great battles with Mega Mawile, Mega Gardevoir and Gallade, or the popular Mega Lucario or Charizard X. As far as Z-moves, my favorite is Million Watt Thunderbolt if I remember the attack correctly. I paid more attention to the special effects and forgot the attack name. XDDD Anyhow, despite my love for Fairy Types, I don't like Twinkle Tackle because it sounds so stupid.

12. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I like Mega Evolution a lot more. I feel a Mega really means more in a battle than a Z-Move. However, I do think Z-Moves are cool to look at animation wise. I remember one battle where I had an Oricorio that had X2 in special attack and I had it use the flying Z move on a Landorus T and it didn't even one shot it. It felt underwhelming to me...

I haven't used a Z-Move since.

13. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    Z-moves are pretty okay, I suppose. The biggest pet peeve for me is the long animation that comes with it every time you use a move.

I still prefer Megas because it gives way to possible design improvements and sometimes gives Pokémon with cool designs but crappy stats a chance to shine. However, I am not a fan of GF's decision to give Mega forms to already powerful Pokémon such as Alakazam, Gengar, Garchomp, among other things. Perhaps it's because they're fan favourites, but I think it would be better if more non-pseudo legendaries get a Mega form.

14. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    At first I didn't care much about them, but as time passes by I see more and more how poorly executed Z-moves are. Their animations are way too long and, on top of that, they just hurt the group of weak Pokémon they were supposed to help more than Megaevolution supposedly did, giving more power to those who didn't need it such as the obvious Landorus. (You may think MegaSalamence or MegaMetagross are similar cases, but they really needed a big push)

On the other side we have Megaevolution, which was way more useful: appealing such a wide spectrum of the players isn't easy, and they surely refreshed the game as a whole, thing that Z-moves didn't ever approach to.

I know, I may have been too technical, so I'll just make it smooth with this: I certainly prefer Mega over Z :D
    The problem isn't powerful Pokémon but the gigantic bunch of stupidly weak ones.

15. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I personally just like Mega Evolutions more because Z-moves take forever to execute. Makes it feel like I'm in a long and drawn out anime battle, instead of a quick Pokémon match. I'd much rather just see more mega evolutions in future games! Give some more lesser used Pokémon the spotlight.

16. Leviper04

OLAF
    (Regice)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽81.5
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I would have to go with Mega Evolutions (even tho I only have US in the 3ds lol) because I completely changes everything about the Pokémon to make him better stronger and sometimes faster. My only request for megas are to add a mega Raichu and mega eevelutions.

17. KCkitkat11

KCkitkat11 PKMN Breeder

Who
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.7
    When it comes to usefulness in battle, I gotta go with Z-Moves. They're super useful and can easily make or break a battle in a lot of cases. When it comes to coolness and originality, however, Mega Evolution all the way. When I first learned about the concept all those years ago when X and Y were coming out, I was stoked beyond belief. Way more so than when I found out about Z-Moves. I really hope they come up with something just as original for the generations to come!

18. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I like Mega Evolutions better than Z-moves.

Mega Evolutions are awesomely designed in a lot of cases and it really gives me good vibes whenever I mega evolve my Banette or Metagross

19. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Mega Evos are better
    Z-moves are broken and I hate that the animations aren't skipable.

20. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Z Moves aren’t that OP. Mega Zard Y would bemcihbetter since his special attack gets boosted a crap ton for the whole battle instead of one super duper finisher move that lasts for one turn